Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Irn--Bru posted:

Played 7-a-side last night on the nicest surface I've ever played on. We usually play on Astroturf, but we were playing on Astro-grass and it was lovely. It was just like playing on perfectly cut real grass.

if that's anything like what we call field-turf in the U.S., then I'd totally agree. Other than the cushioning rubber bits getting into every crevice of your body, it's pretty awesome to play on. Not nearly as bad as old-school astroturf.

I played when I was reaaaally young, got out of it, didn't play sports much again until the end of high school and beginning of college when I played rugby union for two years and then played a bunch of intramural sports in college. Decided to try getting into more shape to play soccer, and actually took it as a P.E. class my final year of uni.

There's lots of things I need to do right now, but I would really, really like to get involved in rec league here in a year or two. I'm tall and not in very good shape right now, but I prefer to attack than defend - much better nose for the ball, and I think I've got a good sense for passes, too. Also imagine my surprise when very right-footed me slotted home a couple instinct goals left-footed one time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Guitar_Hero posted:

That's where I usually end up playing because my positioning is usually fairly decent, but my tackling is average at best.

edit: actually, I take that back, it's just clumsy. Average is way too good a description of it.

that just makes you a sunday league version of Andrea Pirlo then - great positioning, deadly free kick. Maybe take those free kick skills and also take some pops from distance too?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Suqit posted:

Last one, I tore my ACL, MCL, MPFL, lateral AND medial meniscus all in one fell swoop.

YAHTZEE!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Visual Sneeze posted:

Just got back from a pickup game that was fairly fun. I don't know why we decided to play soccer outside on a foggy day at a balmy 33°F, but we did. Glad to see my friends were up for it despite the weather, even if there were a couple of them who just stood around in the middle of the field talking about basketball the whole drat time. The thing that was really crappy though is that whoever runs the park we always play at decided to come in and move the goals to one side of the field... and then chain them together. Seriously, what's the drat point in preventing people from playing soccer at a city park like that? I hate water bottle goalposts and imaginary crossbars. :argh:

which park was this at?

also apparently there's a turf indoor field with boards and everything in the new PSU rec center, might be playing indoor intramurals in the winter :c00l:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Visual Sneeze posted:

I'm a student there and I've never played indoor before, this could be a good chance to try it out. I wonder if they need referees, because I'd be game for that too.

even looking through floorplans just now I can't tell if it's got actual fieldturf or just hardwood. hrm. wish I knew.

either way, hopefully I can get some IM soccer on this winter.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

goodvisiontoucan posted:

got a red card in my pre-season 8v8 league. we were disqualified bc we got three reds

1st was for a rugby tackle on a guy who had already passed the ball away
2nd was for punching a kid after my teammate was punched (this one was me)
3rd was for telling the ref he could gently caress off immediately after i punched the kid

we were up 2-0 :(

you're hard as gently caress, mate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Shrapnac posted:

I don't like them personally but Adidas Copa Mundials have been around forever and are still only like $100 which is ridiculous for a pair of kangaroo leather boots.

Plenty of professionals wear them too.

Your best bet is always to go try boots on and buy a pair that's the most comfortable to you.

Do any boots (whether series ala Predators, or particular brands) tend to be easier and softer on your feet than others? I'm using low-level Predators on really, really firm ground when playing Aussie Rules, and my feet are always hosed up because of it. I'm not in the market for new boots yet, but just keeping things in mind for when I am.

Probably will also try to get some inserts to add cushion to the sole, too, for the short-term.