Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Yeah, I know, goons and physical exercise this is madness and all that. Whatever. I know some of you must play the beautiful game as well as follow it.

I myself occupy that most hallowed position of goalkeeper, and play in a weekly sixes league. Last season my team finished 4th of 12 teams in the second division of our local league.

But that doesn't tell the whole story, oh no. We managed to throw away 2nd place by a combination of giving up a 4-1 lead in our final game to end 4-4 with two goals in the last minute, one of which was a giant deflection. I was SUPER PISSED OFF at this.

Anyway, enough whining. Ask me about being a goalkeeper (as if my advice is any use, ha! But seriously. Best position.) and/or post your own achievements, or lack thereof.

Vando fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 18, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Oh Em Gee posted:

Played center midfield and as a centre back when I was younger in my youth days. in high school I played defensive midfield for our team and we did pretty decently, though I infamously did a knee high foul on a rival high school's star player and basically was told to not show up to practice...so that was the end of my career.

It sounds like you were doing a perfect defensive midfielder's job. Your coach must have been poo poo.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Oh yeah, I also went to a soccer school run by Alan Kennedy one summer in the early 90s. Can't remember much of it, though I suspect it was at this point that I picked up my awesome penalty taking abilities.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

hughsieblingwish posted:

However, i seem to have come to a mental hump with my skills, in training i think I've got fairly good dribbling skills and feel like i have a chance of beating someone one on one but when it comes to games i just cant bring myself to challenge anyone else. Its dumb but i have in my head that if i gently caress up I've really let the team down in a game, where as in training it doesn't matter so who cares. i cannot get over this.

Dear god defenders that DON'T try any clever stuff are the best kind of defenders. Don't feel bad for being careful.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
New season started last night, seems we got promoted to the top division this time around. Pretty solid start all in all, knocked the ball around with pace and accuracy, peppered their keeper and limited the opposition to a handful of punt-and-runs.

So of course we lost 2-0 because we hit the post about 5 times and of the 4 shots on target I faced, 3 were breakaways where the forward slipped the ball under me with annoying calmness :argh:

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Chuggo posted:

My brother found this. He played as a keeper in a Sunday league and was constantly being subjected to completely unnecessary late challenges when he'd had the ball in his hands for a good second. He's got what could turn out to be permanent ligament damage in his right knee from a shocking tackle by some oval office.

Edit - I can't spell ligament

I had this a few years back, until some fucker raked his studs down my thigh from hip to knee. At which point I lost it and shouldered him in the face, breaking a few of his teeth.

I only got booked, and word must have got around because it mysteriously stopped happening after that.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Suqit posted:

Now that I have had reconstructive surgery on both knees, and gained weight, I can no longer play in my Sunday league. Last one, I tore my ACL, MCL, MPFL, lateral AND medial meniscus all in one fell swoop. Boy was that fun!

Did a loving tank shoot you in the knee or something?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

hughsieblingwish posted:

On that note, why is it that all the really good players are complete jerks on field? there's nothing worse than seeing someone who's clearly better than you and on a team that's beating you're team 8-1 or something having a big moan about the all maybe being out off one of yours players.

Had a game like that last night, they were destroying us yet still contesting almost every call. I think it's an extension of the competitiveness that is making them good in the first place. Though getting mad at having their 6th goal disallowed seemed a bit much.

Then again, they did miss out on the title on goal difference last season so you can't really blame them for keeping the hammer down...

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
You can go piss up a rope if you think any of you fuckers are better keepers than me :colbert:

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
First game back today since December, what kind of severe injury would keep me out for so long you ask? An infected toe. Had surgery on it a month ago, clearing up nicely, time to play again :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Related: always amusing when people hit the post from a pen, put away the rebound, then look bemused when it's disallowed.