Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I started playing for my local club when I was about 8 or so. I moved towns and joined a more competitive (North Jersey) club at about 13, won a fairly large tournament and our league once. Started playing in a more-select, Jersey and national team, but we weren't spectacular but it was a lot of fun. Started playing CM. Played for my school team, won our county tournament, state tournament and group in the first two years, reached the finals for the next year, and this year we just had an average season. Injuries mean I'm not really playing to high a level anymore

tbp fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 17, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Shrapnac posted:

I'm going to regret this but where in Jersey do you live and who do you play for?

Anyway, I'm a wingback, usually left side although I'm naturally right footed. I prefer to play in the midfield but my coach, who isn't too bright, has the philosophy of "you can run fast all day, good, you're playing defense so you can cover for the slow gently caress center backs." I actually had a USL-2 team looking at me about a year ago but then I dislocated my knee twice in a month and it hasn't been the same since. I'm 24 so the dream is probably over at this point. Now I just spunk away money on gear.

I'd really rather not say where I lived but I definitely wasn't at your level - I probably couldn't even play for my college team, nevermind USL

edit: Oh and in the post you quoted, I meant national, not international. Mostly mid-atlantic stuff

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Craiglen posted:

Sounds fair enough. I've been playing a lot recently and I tend to naturally gravitate towards playing down entire wings. I've been trying to attack and track back well, I suppose the main thing is just to suck it up and build stamina!

If you can't gain the speed I wouldn't worry about adding to the attack all by yourself. If you have a good Midfielder in front of you, when you make a forward run he should obviously drop back, and a CM will shift over onto his wing. Or a CB will take your spot. Just communicate.

Wing backs, focus on crosses. An unexpected sprint into the corner to provide another outlet for attack is a really great way to shake up a tight defense, but it's not going to be much if you can't do anything up there then have to gun it back to defense. Don't play LWB if you can't cross with your left foot, it's not like a midfield position where you can cut in and make up for it. Short passes aren't going to work out of defense, more often than not its either clearances, simple taps back and forth (which you should be able to do ambidextrously) or crosses.

I recomend focusing on the crosses, as it adds a whole new element to your game. If you have the time and the dedication, you could always try to learn the outside-of-the-foot cross that Quaresma does. I can't do it really but it does gently caress up defenders.

And as the others have said, speed and stamina are really important. If you aren't that fast, you better be drat good at timing your tackles.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

reading all these stories about boots and 5 a sides and poo poo like that just makes me remember

i loving love football

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Lazlow posted:

Season started last week for my coed team, we played a brand new team that was absolutely lost out there on the pitch. We dominated from start to finish, keeping the ball on their half for all but probably 5 minutes total - but we couldn't put the loving ball in the loving net. No kidding, we had probably two dozen shots on goal at the very least, and half of those hit the post or the crossbar, and the others went straight to the keeper - who, by the way, was a loving fatass that got WINDED in the first half. How the gently caress a keeper gets winded, I have no idea. The ref had to warn him a few times that he was delaying the game with his goal kicks.

After all that we lost on a penalty. :suicide:

Yesterday we played the team that was favored to win the division this season and outplayed them all up and down the field, despite having no subs for the girls, losing one of them just before the half to injury, then losing another to injury with about 10 minutes left. I played sweeper since our regular one threw out his back last week, and I even managed to save a goal about a foot from the goal line when our keeper went down trying to stop a breakaway. Our attackers found their mark today, though, and we won 3-0. Sweet.

Haha you are literally 0809 Liverpool

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

See I never get these double digit scores in my small sided games

Probably because all of us good kids (comparatively) play defense so we play a lot of long, hot 1-1 draws

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Getting involved with a winter league me, ya

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

If I don't ruin an amateur players career in every 5 a side game I consider myself a failure.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

the posted:

Two "blue" cards though (I guess they use those in place of yellow)

I go hard but I'm not sloppy, drat.

how many knees have you wrecked

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Shrapnac posted:

If a ref ever showed me a blue card I'd probably walk away laughing. Blue cards, what the gently caress is that?

ya lol what the gently caress is a blue card

When I was little I remember playing with a new ref in like, a town game where he actually gave the cards to the player who recieved it. I struggle to imagine what he would have done if he had to give out another

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

got a red card in my pre-season 8v8 league. we were disqualified bc we got three reds

1st was for a rugby tackle on a guy who had already passed the ball away
2nd was for punching a kid after my teammate was punched (this one was me)
3rd was for telling the ref he could gently caress off immediately after i punched the kid

we were up 2-0 :(

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

harperdc posted:

you're hard as gently caress, mate.

lol im really not tho

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

I'm starting in an inter-fraternity indoor league soon. I wasn't able to play in the outdoor league last semester but if the quality of players is similar.. this is going to be a joke.

It's hilarious when you can CLEARLY tell the kids who've played before. They get the ball and do a slight feint on way and send half the opposing team dashing wildly in an overcommited bid to stop them

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

I always play on astroturf with my indoors or regular cleats. Never had much of a balance problem and I loving love the fit of my indoors so any chance I had to use them I took

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

I still hate turf though. Nothing better than playing on a pitch where a baseball field overlaps so if you tackle in there you get up with blood coating your leg.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Scikar posted:

Although if anyone has any tips for movement and positioning when playing up front that would be helpful. It's obvious that when our 11s team gets running I'm going to be playing attacking midfield most of the time but I'd like to be able to fill in as second striker or winger when necessary. When I'm playing in midfield I never have trouble picking out a run but when I try to make the same runs I just exhaust myself without seeing the ball, any tips on where I might be going wrong?

If you're playing like a true winger don't try anything fancy. You're not Leo and CR9 so trying to flick and trick in is going to be hard as hell, so just stay a step away from the touchline a lot. 'Winger' is just an offensive oriented wide midfielder at an amateur level, you know? So stick out wide, work on your crossing a lot, learn to cross in different ways (its surprising how many technically decent kids I know can't seem to put the ball on the ground when crossing if the pressure is on) and don't get frustrated easily. That's actually a big one.. anyone in the center is going to have a few options to pass to a lot of the time, and as a winger you're gonna be gunning down a lane a lot for no reason. But when you do get the ball finally if you make your run right and don't panic you'll be in a great position to grab an assist.

Every time I've ever played 'Second Striker' I've played it a lot like CAM. Little less tracking back though.. learn to play with your back to the goal, make sure you're stronger than the guy marking you, jump really high to slip it on to the CF.. oh and work on one-touch passing a lot. With your back to goal you're gonna have a lot of trouble turning sometimes.. a quick sweep to a winger or back to a midfielder really fucks with the defense so have a decent understanding with your CMs, so you can tap it back to them for their through-ball.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Scikar posted:

Yeah I know what the positions are about. My passing and crossing is absolutely not a problem and I've been working on aggressive dribbling every week so that's really starting to improve, it's how to make runs and find space that I need help with because there isn't an obvious way to train it.

Oh hm my mistake.

Really I guess I can't say much more than watch more football I guess. I could try to explain what I would do to find space but it probably won't come out right. I guess I'll try anyway.

Like I said as a winger especially at an amateur level you're not going to be doing anything fancy. Be quicker than the fullback and just run to the corner flag, you'll find the space well enough and in that case its up to the rest of the team to make your run worthwhile. Its kind of funny because that's such basic advice though that I feel like an idiot telling you, I'm sure you knew that 'running fast and crossing' is a good idea. If like you said you've been working on dribbling.. a quick start/stop run can make a good deal of space actually, especially if their wide-mids don't come back to double you. Sprint to the corner, hit the breaks and drop back to recieve a pass. Your fullback will still be on the backfoot but a lot of time (at least I think so) its tough to turn in that situation and start your move up.

SS is similar again too. Actually thats probably the best way to make space. I'm a lazy gently caress and don't do it as much and wait for the ball to come to my feet even if I'm marked and hope for the best, but if you make a run like a striker and then cut back to get a pass from a mid then you're going to have a yard of space to flick it on, which is really useful.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

identikit posted:

Didn't get time to warmup today :negative:

Legs are loving killing like a bitch. Always warmup, always.

I got kneed in the calf and almost cried my cramp was so bad I'm also A Gigantic Pussy

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

identikit posted:

Got absolutely taken out today. Thank gently caress the astro I was playing on was bouncy as gently caress. Would've hosed my knee seven ways to Sunday on my home pitch. Manned up and didn't show any pain when it happened... until I sat in a hot bath. Hip is also killing. Refs never give any cards for obvious fouls and infractions just bullshit stuff like me kicking the ball back to where the original offence was. wtf?

What position do you play?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

identikit posted:

Left back, always left back. Except for kick abouts down the park when my mate goes left and I go right. Left footed wanker stealing my position :argh:

..in the locker room !!!! hahahahalhflksadhfklsdfhldskf

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

I played right back for like two games once. I hated the gently caress out of fullback. Its so much about effort, and you could honestly just gently caress about and never overlap and poo poo and thats literally what I did. Sweeper/CAM here..

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

gently caress that I'm just never playing fullback haha. I like CAM to much now, because i get to pretend to be Ronaldinho.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

identikit posted:

Better not play me then, I will attempt to kill you within the first 5 minutes with an industrial tackle.

Haha this happens to me all the time. My ankles are raw as gently caress

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

brapbrapbrap posted:

It's all gone off in my neck of the woods. My football team has a semi-final tomorrow night in a proper stadium and everything, and the team went up today. We have a squad of 18 so 2 people were going to miss out altogether and 2 wouldn't get on from the bench.

The gaffer put the team up on Facebook and it's gone nuts - two players are threatening to leave on the basis that they're on the bench, and one player who lives with me is in the process of moving his stuff out of our house after being left out of the squad, in possibly the biggest overreaction of all time. The whole team has got involved in bitch-fighting and all sorts of gayness, the manager has been told that a significant part of the squad think he's a poo poo manager (I tried to explain to him that every player he ever leaves out of the first eleven thinks he's a poo poo manager for a while, didn't make much difference) and he's now on the verge of refusing to select one player who was in the team.

I'm just sitting back watching it all unfold and trying to be positive and calm people down but it's getting ridiculous now.

On tonight's episode of dream team...

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

the posted:

Important game tomorrow. My team (11 a side) is playing against one of the other two teams who are tied for second place in the league.

I'll be playing right wing, 6 hours after running a 5k, nursing both a hip and a foot injury.

game speed motherfucker

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Umbriago posted:

Yeah, my main problem (besides fitness) is knowing what to do when it's 2v1, and if/when to stick close to the striker or drop off. Generally most goals my team concedes are because the other three outfield players have pushed up front and the other team have two players hanging around our end of the pitch for a clearance, with only me to try to stop them. So I come to the man with the ball and force him wide, but he only needs to play a goalwards pass into space for the second man to be through on goal with no one marking. Shouting at my teammates keeps them marking for another four or five minutes but then they get lazy/knackered again. I suppose I should just keep shouting.

For small sided games if you are the last defender contain the person with the ball and cut off the attack until he goes for the shot then attempt to make a standing tackle while still in position to block the passing rout. You miss, he still has to beat the keeper. If he gets the pass off it is an open goal.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

In a small sided game playing with your back to goal as Striker is the most fun thing you can do. If you are a strong guy just hold the ball as far from your body as you can with your back right up in the defender, moving it only away so he can't get a touch. You have full vision of your players to motion for a midfielder to support in the attack, and boom, through ball or your defender picks him up and you can turn and shoot. Very fun because it's so easy not to gently caress up.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

calcio posted:

Ouch, sorry to hear. Do we actually want details on "exploded" :geno:

He was serving in Iraq...

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Lost in the fraternity 5 a side league. Gutted

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

I could never play with those of you that get upset at tackling and aggressive play. I guess that's what I get from playing in competitive leagues my whole life. I step on the pitch and I'm just angry

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Bobby Digital posted:

Tackle me hard, that's fine. I'm used to it.

Tackle a 5'2" girl hard from behind, that's not fine.

Get her off the field then.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Dribbling work is good for cardio work because you'll exhaust yourself quickly with the ball at your feet - much faster than off the ball movement.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

NattyBo posted:

I have a big enough back yard to practice dribbling, I was really more concerned about being in shape enough to play outdoors..sounds like I'm doing so so with my 2 mile a day jog and some wind sprints. I'll start adding a few mins of dribbling a night in the back yard.

I think I'm going to register for a summer indoor team before I take the training wheels back off and play outdoor in the fall.

Yeah the only reason I mentioned practicing dribbling for endurance is because when you have the ball at your feet you tire a lot faster than without it. Making little cuts, adjustments and whatnot is both mentally and physically tiring. You're constantly forced to interrupt your stride, which adds another level of stress because it's so unnatural. When running both long and short distance you're going to be at full stride pretty much all the time, but you can't do that when dribbling (more often than not) because you'll get the ball nicked from you every time if you don't have the touch of Messi.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

nervana posted:

so after spraining my ankle back in march, it's still not back to normal. i havent tried playing yet (going to try next week), and i have no problems jogging, etc. but i can sort of feel the bones of my ankle grinding each other if i bend my foot a certain way.

should i go see a doctor about this or am i screwed? :emo:
I broke my ankle my senior year and for the past two+ years it clicks quite literally every step I take. I tune it out a lot but when people live with me for the first time they notice it.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

FortCastle posted:

I quit playing soccer 3 or 4 years ago before I started high school. Now I'm a senior in high school and tryouts are in three weeks and I hear our team is poo poo so I'm trying out. I just kicked around today with a friend and realized that I too am pretty poo poo so if anyone has any suggestions on how to become a baller in three weeks I'm all ears.

Don't be poo poo

If you're serious, which you probably aren't, have a ball at your feet loving constantly. Your touch is probably complete poo poo, so that'll be the first thing you need to get up. gently caress learning how to finish, you're going to poo poo your pants any time you get near the goal so whatever. Also don't be a pussy. There, you can play wingback now (if you can run a lot I guess)

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Anyone know how to get started in the American coaching circuit? I don't think I'd really like to just yet but it's something I always thought I'd enjoy. Shrapnac I know you're in NJ too so if you have any advice lemme know

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

I used to be able to do definitely do over 500. I probably could get there now too but it'd take a few goes to get the feel right and I'd probably get bored as poo poo doing it, but when you're playing a lot it just comes natural. Like someone said once you have the feel of the ball the technique doesn't change at all, you just have to actually focus which is a bitch

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

No it seems like it's fine.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

I played in my frat league in glasses once, had a sick tackle to stop a 1v1 with our keeper and lost my glasses, spent a minute on the ground crawling for them and haven't played in them since.

Though on the other hand I did the 911 challenge at Cluck U before a game and the spice was so hot and still on my fingers I couldn't put my contacts in.

It's a mixed bag really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Gigi Galli posted:

My opinion on tactical fouls is to do something that has the smallest chance of hurting the person. I've go for obvious shoulder shoves or even pushing most of the time. Clumsy slide tackles or just yanking the guy down by his shirt collar can get you an easy red and hurt the other player.

Of course depending on the ref you have to watch out for you being the last thing between the layer and your keeper. I've seem some really iffy " goal scoring opportunities" result in reds.

We were playing some private school when I was in HS and they had a really fast kid. I was the last defender and he was able to just knock is by my so I just said gently caress it considering we were 4-1 down and grabbed the back of his shirt and held him and somehow the ref didn't even see it.

I don't mean like, pulled on it, I mean I stopped running and just held his shirt so he couldn't run.

HS soccer was great for this reason. Also you could stand on the keeper's feet during corners and nobody would notice or bother calling it