Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008
I generally play 5/6/7 a side games and was part of a uni league for a couple of months recently. Only played 11 a side twice. I usually play as a full back/wingback since I'm too short and skinny for the middle of the pitch. I could probably play as a striker/winger too since I'm nippy and can dribble. Lately I've been picking up lots of calf and ankle injuries so maybe I'm a crock whose career has been tragically cut short :(

I've suggested it before but we could do a football goonmeet with a match or tournament if there were enough people up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008

8raz posted:

Can't wait for all the arguments that stem from bad tackles.

When I tackle there's no one left to argue :c00l:

People don't call me scholes because I'm ginger and small (actually they do)

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008

ayb posted:

I play goalkeeper for a bunch of teams here in Tulsa. 1 mens outdoor, 1 coed outdoor, 2 coed indoor, and 1 mens indoor. 5 games a weekend keeps me pretty busy...or it did until Sunday when I blocked a shot and this happened:

Out for 6 weeks with a broken radius and I literally just ordered a poo poo ton of new gear :(

Goalkeepers are football's drummers

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008

hughsieblingwish posted:

I played field for a year in school, then moved on to AFL and Cricket for my last two years because I was better at them.

However, we started up a five a side futsol team at the beginning of last year. We're okay, we train once a week in summer, then lose all our skills in winter because it's either a) freezing or b) pitch black when we can all get together.

I started off playing up forward and was pretty good, kinda averaging a couple of goals a game. Then i moved back to play defensive anchor because we were leaking goals down there which i kind of prefer because i get to feel like Vidic when i run around and booting the ball away.

However, i seem to have come to a mental hump with my skills, in training i think I've got fairly good dribbling skills and feel like i have a chance of beating someone one on one but when it comes to games i just cant bring myself to challenge anyone else. Its dumb but i have in my head that if i gently caress up I've really let the team down in a game, where as in training it doesn't matter so who cares. i cannot get over this.

also i play goal, which is just a matter of cutting down on angles and getting out low and early. also being able to take the kick in the chest you're bound to get.

for future reference - Nike Total 90 shoots. The really garish yellow and silver ones Rooney wore last season.

You train?

I think the important thing with dribbling is just be conscientious of where you try it, make sure that you're in a position where if you lose the ball your team has a good chance to defend it. Other than that don't worry about it, especially in futsol. Nothing more toe curling than watching some idiot trying to play past the opposition when he's the furthest player back and then looking around indignantly at his teammates when he gets dispossessed and the other team score.

I'm pretty unfit for a skinny guy, I can do maybe sixty minutes of full on football before I get shoulder cramps and all sorts of weird poo poo. Might work on it over the summer, give me a less miniscule chance of playing on an 11 a side team.

And I hate those T90s, I swear my lovely pair are completely responsible for my latest ankle sprain. I usually wear a cheap rear end pair of nike moulds.

Best skill achievement : That thing zidane used to do where he does a 180 spin whilst running over the ball. Did that to a guy once, ran the length of the pitch and scored from a ridiculous angle.

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008
Starting in a new 5 a side student league next week, at manchester city's old training ground in rusholme. Need new boots though, my old pair have split near the toes. I'm looking for comfort more than anything, the football eqivalent of loafers. And it's field turf so Sambas are useless.

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008
I was always utterly left footed until last year when my ankle injuries made it easier to shoot with my right, after a few months of that I'm now fairly ambidextrous but it doesn't get noticed because of my overall level of poor.

So I don't know drop a brick on your left foot?

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008
So was the reconstructive surgery them taping what was left of your knees back on

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008
I will stud the top of your feet

All of them

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008
It's best to do it here probably, it's a subforum rather than city specific thing. And like you said it'd mostly go un-noticed there.

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008
So what'd be the best city for it? Manchester? Birmingham? London?

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008

Bovine Delight posted:

Dibs on left winger since I'm right footed and slow, perfect fit

they'll never expect me to...cut inside :smug:

And London is a festering pit of cockneys, knives and chelsea tractors

If we do this by how not-poo poo a place is, we'll be here for a while

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008

Chuggo posted:

Central defence up in here.

Fullback/winger (but not wingback)

I could probably play anywhere that didn't involve having to defend against guys considerably taller than me

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008

Dr. Platypus posted:

I play in a park league as striker, and discovered today that I am utterly poo poo at aiming my shots. Mostly because I don't know how to do much beyond booting it at the goal. So, what I ask of all of you, is how the gently caress do you aim a shot?

Composure is an important part of it, most shots are done under some kind of pressure so the ability to calmly think through placement etc is vital. Look at someone like Berbatov, concentrate on thinking while you've got the ball at your feet.

Somebody else mentioned it but kicking a tennis ball round your house is great for close control and ball skill, if you can do it on a small ball it becomes infinitely easier on a bigger one.

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008

Chuggo posted:

playing in a six a side tournament next week, well excited

Won one a week ago :cool:

Reserve full back/winger/wherever I don't have to defend too much here

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008
I couldn't bring myself to buy a pair of mercurials et al partly because of the expense and partly because unless you are very good you will look a complete wanker

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008
*Shins the ball into touch wearing £120 of flourescent green slippers*

FFS GUYS GIVE ME OPTIONS

And gently caress T90s those things are a nightmare to take on\off, I'm not sure how not having tounges makes them better for football.

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008

Ka0 posted:

My shoes, well close because I couldn't find a better picture

I have the version with plastic moulded studs :hf:

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008

Tigren posted:

I just moved home from college about a week ago and drove around for 30 minutes trying to find a pickup game. All I could find were some Latino leagues and empty parks. What do I do? How do I play soccer if no one will play with me?

Kind of in a similar boat now after the game last night at my regular 6 v 6. Was tussling over the ball in the corner near our goal with another player and I got the ball back to our keeper by going to ground(restricted areas rule) and as I go to get back up the other player knees me in the stomach. The guys I play with are regulars at a pub nearby so you get a fair mix but some of them are old and the kind of pitch monsters that haunt local sunday league teams.

There's been a bad atmosphere there for a while and there's more than one player that would lash out like that though the guy in question is the worst by far. The rear end in a top hat has been trying to do stuff like that for weeks whenever he loses 50/50s but more subtly and generally ended up injuring himself. After being straight up assaulted I'm sick of it, so I'm going to have to find a new regular football outlet but I don't know where/how I'd get a game since this was a friend-of-a-friend style thing.

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008
As much as I hate the idea of expensive boots, at the City vs Celtic game we were right next to the pitch and Robino was wearing a pair of black and yellow mercurials that looked awesome.

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008
Basically I'm going to buy a pair and be That Guy

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008
Yeah the most annoying aspect of teamplay is when everyone's heads drop because you're playing badly collectively and you start getting angry at everyone. Spoils the fun and doesn't exactly improve your own game.

Still got a month to wait before I can start playing again, having to play squash at the moment to keep my legs occupied. Don't think I'll tryout for the uni team again in case they remember me from last time and how badly I played, and I'm not fit enough for 11v11. :smith:

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008

theblindparrot posted:

See I never get these double digit scores in my small sided games

Probably because all of us good kids (comparatively) play defense so we play a lot of long, hot 1-1 draws

Our league usually gets 6 or 7 goals a game since it's 30 mins on fairly big pitches, it's just a question of on which side of the scoresheet they go. Attacks break down and the players don't track back. I'm nominally the sweeper in our team so it's a bugbear of mine. It's 5 a side so at most you'll get two guys in a team who are happy to defend, it's fun to run at them from the back since they have no idea what to do.

Been playing the last couple of weeks in my Ireland shirt, got 4 or 5 goals so far in the league. It's taken a couple of games to shake off the rust of the summer, I don't kick a ball even in anger outside of the league so I can get very rusty indeed.

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008

Irn--Bru posted:

PLayed 5's tonight, scored a goal and bossed our backline. Nae oval office got past me like ken.

Like I've mentioned I'm always the one who has to stay back. Bit of a titus bramble though, I'm guaranteed to have at least one terrible mistake a match. Started getting some real metal slide tackles in recently, highlight being a 30 yard sprint back to slide the ball off a striker's toe as he shot. :cool:

My 5 a side has finished for Christmas and it's annoying but I'm not sure I can play with my team again. I'm the one who organises it and signs everyone up but last season I had to round them up every week, as if we haven't been playing for the past two years, and half the time we'd end up having to field random mates of mates. If they have to work etc that's fair enough but they never let me know ahead of time. This wouldn't be too bad if it wasn't for the fact that my usual team mates can't take losing at all. It was becoming a real pain in the arse to play with them, especially when I'm the defender because they don't like to track back and then sulk when we lose 3 - 0 after they all miss their chances. It was ironically better with the team full of strangers. I'll probably grit my teeth and register the team again in january because I don't have any other way of playing football.

irlZaphod posted:

a GAY TEAM filled with GAY DRAMA.

RedPaddy fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 17, 2009

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008

irlZaphod posted:

If you don't use jumpers for goalposts then gtfo.

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008
I started playing again last week, but there was a huge frozen snowdrift next to the pitch where it had all been shovelled off. It's an artificial pitch, and the snow was half covered in those horrible black particles that usually cover the plastic turf.

We lost 4-1 and 4-0 but we played fairly well, in the second game at least, we just tired badly near the end. Just do a few exercises every day up till you play again, it'll help soften the blow.

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008

the posted:

It's astroturf actually. Burns like hell when you slide on it.

I'm considering looking for some my-first-skateboard kneepads because I end almost every session with knees that look like they've been hit by shrapnel

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008
Game yesterday was called off as it started snowing heavily as soon as we kicked off, we only got ten minutes or so before it was basically unplayable. The snow was clumping up and sticking to everything: boots, ball, even my tracksuit bottoms had a load of snowballs dangling from the ripped ends.

We didn't play that well, when the game was suspended it was 2 - 0 to them and we weren't looking likely to score, lots of painful approach play as we tried to work it close enough to shoot and losing out at the last minute when a pass went astray or got intercepted. The problem is two of the team aren't fast or skilful, one guy is utterly left footed and I'm the best defender because of my pace so we do okay for as long as it takes me to get knackered from trying to play at both ends. I wouldn't mind being the guy at the back playing through balls since I get a kick out of it but none of them really know how to make space or make a run so I have the ball at my feet with three people apparently trying to hide behind the other team. But even though they're not as good players the atmosphere has been a lot friendlier the past few weeks while the first team players have largely been busy, despite the 4 game losing streak.

Sometimes I want to tell them before the game what they should be doing with runs and stuff, moving off your player and trying to move with the rest of your team to exploit space but I'd probably sound like a dick. I'm under no illusions, they're probably all better players than me technically, but they just don't know how to move. I usually end up having to shout and point while I have the ball but I'd probably do that anyway cos that's how I roll :c00l:

Other team were muppets as well, their striker spooned an absolute sitter from 3 yards out early on and tried to claim it as a corner. I was right behind him and neither me or the keeper got a touch, he just sliced the ball off into the snow. Not a big deal, but he got really offended when we took the goal kick and his team started muttering about cheating like we were loving Leeds or something. And then later in the game they score when a sub who was apparently just subbed on runs onto the pitch to intercept a throw and score. When the game was cancelled they were really cocky about it, saying that next week it'd be 4 - 0 even if we cheated again. I don't give a poo poo but it was just pathetic they got that bad tempered over a phantom corner, in a five a side game. Hopefully we'll have some more first teamers back next week to deal with what is apparently now a Grudge Match

Edit: Wow. This wasn't as long in my head.

RedPaddy fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 5, 2010

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008
It's not, the hard part is timing it right and aiming the ball so that you and it go past the defender too quickly for him to turn, or tackle you.

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008

the posted:

Outdoor starts in 8 days.

I have a feeling I'll be played in as center defender, a position I'm fine with.

I have a problem, though: I never learned how to slide tackle.

I have a sneaking suspicion I'm going to get myself sent off the first time I attempt it in the game and end up dislocating the opposing player's knee.

Slide tackling is a last resort anyway, your main priorities should be positioning and marking. It's generally better to stay on your feet and mark/block the opponent from any easy passes and to move him away from danger areas. Only advice I can give for slide tackles is to try and get a good read of the footspeed of the other player so he can't flick it past you as you go to slide, and to try and time it for *just* after they've touched the ball. I.e. so they aren't in control of the ball as you move. It depends on your agility.

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008

euroboy posted:

I come back with scratches and bruises all over my legs and especially knees after playing, you get used to it. For me it's the price to pay for playing a high intensity and physically tough (and fun!) game of football.

Gotta admit, it's pretty satisfying

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008
Laid up at the moment, was playing 5 a side last Saturday and challenged a dithering centre back, slipped as I put my left foot out to get the ball and my foot caught in the turf as I fell, basically bending my heel way too far back, like 130 degrees. Had to sit out for a while but I was able to hobble about for a bit before the end of the game.

I guess it's just a sprain, it hurt like hell the first few days but it's calming down now. I dunno when I'll be able to play again or even if to see a doctor about it, it always feels embarrassing taking football injuries to the doc so he can give me a withering look and some painkillers.

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008

unicron posted:

learn to do this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdVzzvMEG08&playnext_from=TL&videos=Qc9XmD3uC5c

and you will have girls wanting to jump into hot spas naked with you.

Seriously.

The first ten seconds of commentary make me laugh every time

Played for the first time in a while today, 6 a side. Got 3 good goals, all cleanly hit into the corners from distance. Even did a cruyff turn on someone. Was a good game for fifty minutes or so but it was sunny so everyone tired sharply and the other team had one player who was basically not very good, so by the end it was pretty much one-sided attack vs offense. Dunno why they didn't swap around or anything.

For the whole skills discussion, if you've got quick feet at all you can often do as well simply by varying the pace at which you move the ball, quick little jerks. If you watch a skilful player like Modric or Berbatov they tend to move in controlled bursts, almost flopping their feet at the ball when they're dribbling in tight areas. It takes quick, soft feet and practice but learning how to do that makes it much easier to go past people, then it's often just a question of gauging at what point you can move it past them without them reacting in time.

Still can't do a flip-flap :negative:

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008

hughsieblingwish posted:

My game fee's have gone up by $5. The reason - so they can film a few games a week and edit together a highlights package to post on youtube.

Would unironically pay for that, and then post the clips on facebook (discounting the very few that make me look bad ofc)

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008

hughsieblingwish posted:

essentially this, even though a good team will push up on you and all your team mates pretty quickly if you try and play out from the back and not give you much space to move.

having a 'keeper who's decent on the ball makes a difference as an outlet.

You aren't kidding, we lost the last game of our league season 3 - 2 after a tight match that we were winning for a long time because of this. They got two soft goals late on and then in the final 5 minutes our keeper came out with the ball as the last man, with the rest of the team up the pitch waiting for a pass to get a quick winning goal. He dithered on it for ages, with all of us open and waiting for a pass, before panicking and clumsily trying to blast it away as the rapidly approaching opposition player closed him down. The ball just hit the attacker and bounced kindly for him to go sprinting up the pitch. The keeper raced after him and forced him wide only for the guy to very deliberately slow down, nutmeg him and then walk the ball into the net. I watched all this from up the other end as striker and it has the be the most :ughh: thing I've seen in a while.

irlZaphod posted:

Yeah, running's actually not great for football, because you use completely different muscles when playing, like you said with all the sudden sprinting, direction changing, etc.

I've noticed this as well, and I have to say the best exercise/fitness training for football I've found is Squash. It's a really good workout for your legs and replicates exactly the same kind of bursts and turns you end up doing on the pitch. The first recovery period is hell though.

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008
Just had a game with my new regular setup, a bunch of musicians and students who hire out a cage pitch next to where I used to play league games. It's a pretty sweet deal but my game has gotten rusty again and it's not dynamic or competitive enough to be a real test. I worry I'm a little too rough or something for these guys and no one has the guts to tell me, I tend to hound people with the ball and I'm not shy about going for a lunging block. I never go for the man but it seems like just being determined about getting the ball is enough to unsettle them. Had one guy try to sweep my legs out from under me because I'd hustled him out of the ball.

By the end they were joking that I was like makelele because I was taking everything down but I think it also had to do with the fact that out of fifteen awful shots two went in and I had the touch of a rapist the whole game :negative:

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008
My regular keeper has a bad habit of getting beat at his near post, so it's always a little awkward leaving the man on the ball enough space to get a shot off even at tight angles. I try to give them enough room to dawdle without opening myself to getting passed around, it's all you can really do.

Only football I've been getting regularly lately is a 7-a-side kickabout at Man City's training ground (yeah we're pretty elite). It's the same guys every week with slightly different teams, it's nice and relaxed but it's fairly samey and more about fitness.

Had a good game of 11-a-side in Ireland over the summer though. Had a family wedding out west of Derry, and the locals had organised a Groom's family vs Bride's family (I'm a distant relative of the latter) match for the day after the wedding. On the day of the wedding all the lads were ashen-faced as they approached to inform me the Groom's family had brought their own matching kits with numbers in order an' everythin. Things were made worse when during both of the best men's speeches it was implied that our family couldn't play football, even a bit.

Anyway, the following day (4 glasses of whiskey and 3 glasses of stout, since you ask) we lined up, us in our various clashing styles and colours of kit, them in the trashy red and white stripes of Derry bastard City. Since I've never really played 11-a-side properly when they talked positions I just opted for up front and minimal responsibility.

I ran them ragged and we won 4 - 0. I ran in behind, ran into space to move them out of position, ran at them with the ball, tackled in midfield and generally made an absolute nuisance of myself. But I also missed more chances than a hungover Emile Heskey, and it was left to my 55 year old strike partner to get a hat-trick, including a 35 yarder from a bad clearance by the keeper. Afterwards in the pub I'd turned into a celebrity for the evening, with most of both families having turned out to watch (which guiltily brought to mind the one missed chance that had caused me to wheel away from the goal, screaming profanity). Everyone was complimentary, except for the da, who helpfully pointed out to all that I missed more chances than Robbie Keane. :shobon:

RedPaddy fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 11, 2010

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008
Anyone in the UK/Manchester got any tips on how to get new games? My usual routes have all dried up. Had a work game but that's died entirely with injuries/changing priorities (babies) and my weekend games are likely off for most of the summer with folk holidaying/touring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008

britishbornandbread posted:

I play two or three nights a week in Manc. interested?

Ah, excellent. PM'ed you