Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on
Played center midfield and as a centre back when I was younger in my youth days. in high school I played defensive midfield for our team and we did pretty decently, though I infamously did a knee high foul on a rival high school's star player and basically was told to not show up to practice...so that was the end of my career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

Vando posted:

It sounds like you were doing a perfect defensive midfielder's job. Your coach must have been poo poo.

Our coach would yell at us if we tried to do step overs and what not, even when it was perfectly warranted and would bench people if they tried any of it in favor of someone who just tried to punt a ball around hopelessly.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
Who would be on the Newcastle United Squad? Or should we make it for us, a northeast tthing just for us, so the rest of you can watch Pissflaps trying to piss off me, Bovine Delight, redscare and a few other newcastle fans with his unbearable yapping.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
i'm defensive mid and a left/right back. but i'm alright in pace, not too fast but about average.

Bring it on!

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
So if we were to have a RayIce Cream Parlour starting XI what would it look like?

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

Grievo posted:

I'd be on the left wing. The left back better be loving good though, because I can't defend.

Well I am the holding mid...soo..hmm. would we play a 442?

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
So far.

-------???????---------????????----------

Grievo--------??????-------Oh Em Gee------???????

Chuggo---------???????-------????????-------duggimon

-------------------????????-------------

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
-------Ka0---------Directorman----------

Grievo--------The Mash-------Oh Em Gee------Shrapnac

Chuggo---------Stuface-------Suqit-------duggimon

-------------------Rhg0061r-------------

SUBS: Craiglen, Russ, Raptor Jesus

MANAGER: Pissflaps/The Finn partnership

Cheerleaders: Hoover Dam and Taters

Looks like a pretty solid lineup. Except of course, we are all really poo poo at football and I don't even think that lineup would win a game against Brandy's cousins.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

Bovine Delight posted:

I'll play centre mid and get a card every game. Resident hardman itt. :clint:

That's my job. I'm like a better version of Scott Parker...which isn't saying much.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

Irn--Bru posted:

Hey fuckers I've been working all night and missed this and I want to be on the team :mad:

You can be apart of our eternal rivals or something.

Like, the first team can be the Harlem Globetrotters, the second team (which you will be apart of) can be the Washington Generals.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
you guys suck. I'm good enough that I usually play my 5/6/7 a side games in Air Jordans.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

calcio posted:

Rock these!

Bought. Cheers mate.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

keveh posted:

So after 3 months of not playing, one of those months being recovery time from a buggered ankle, I go and do this in my second game.

I'm thinking it's time to retire :(

Not going to lie. For a second I thought that was a woman's foot for a second.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
ah yeah. me and my mates have started a bowling team with a view to eventually play football. We're called the Little Lebowski Urban Achievers.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
Wait, Americans still use SWEEPERS in high school? Tactically that's a bit outdated.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

Alctel posted:

Those saves rule, its a great feeling.

When I play out on the pitch, I tend to be an attacking mid/striker, since I am pretty good at crossing and can use both feet pretty well (although naturally lefty).

I am thinking about trying to learn some nice tricks to get round people, since at the moment my entire repertoire is 'slow down, nudge ball one way, nudge other way past them and then sprint after it' which works pretty well since I have a lot of burst speed and can use both sides of both feet.

What 'staples' do you dribbling geniuses always seem to use the most?

knee high tackle.

I hate dribbling cunts.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

McCloud24 posted:

Just started playing again after a few years of just randomly kicking it around every once in awhile. I was the backup varsity and starting JV (more fun, less pressure) keeper in high school and I'm currently playing with a pickup group on Saturday's. Going to have to find a new one soon though, as I'm heading back to school in a few weeks.

Anybody run such a group in/around Kalamazoo that might need a keeper?

Edit: What are some of the feelings on keepers and height in here? I'm fairly convinced the only reason I was backup keeper for the varsity in high school was because the other guy was about half a foot taller than me (I'm 5"8). Our skill levels were about the same, except he had a bit more power in his kicks and I was a bit quicker to the ball.

Small keepers are at a disadvantage mate.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
Going out to play some 3 vs 3 at the local tennis court that got some goals put up. Wish me luck foolios.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

Tongues posted:

Any tips on playing a 4-4-3 formation with a flat back four? I've had a year off playing and am finding it difficult to get back into the game properly! I've been a sweeper for most of my playing life and found myself a bit lost as a straight centreback. I'm a bit poo poo at marking to say the least, and in a recent practise match I had quite a few through balls getting past me (and the rest of the defence to be honest) and I'm just bit clueless as to where I should be positioning myself on the field in different situations.

Any gurus out there please get stuck in!

So wait, you play without a proper goal keeper? You have only 4 defenders, 4 midfielders and 3 strikers so do like your defenders rotate who to just kind of awkwardly block goalmouth without trying to hit it with your arms?

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
I eat whatever but mainly about an hour before I play ill eat a ton of carbs. I gotta time it though. Sometimes I have to poop really badly and I'm out there playing so its pretty embarrassing.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
I have tea before games cause coffee is for idiots.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
Well, that was an interesting chat.

:sigh:

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

Soulex posted:

The doc said standard protocol says wheelchair for 2 weeks, but he thinks that's stupid. So crutches for me right now. Lots of staying in bed.

Thanks for the support all. As soon as I am allowed to take my bandage off (5 days) I'll finally get to see how bad it really looks.

The four ride home was torture. gently caress Army hospital locations abroad

Your doctor is willfully ignoring standard protocol and you are cool with this?

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
Outdoor season is here finally and I'm playing 11vs11 and apparently this year the team wants me to move from my usual holding midfield/destroyer role into a centrehalf because both of our starting CBs hosed off and moved on to bigger and better things. I'm only 1.82m tall and I was wondering if there was any specific things I should be working on because the first team we are playing has a massive 2m tall striker originally from Africa. I know I am probably going to lose out on every single aerial battle but I also am worried about his strength, I'm not the strongest player on the pitch. I was wondering if there was anything I could do to disrupt his game? I already have decided I'm going to do my usual dirty player tactics, step on his feet during set pieces to prevent him from jumping, give him the occasional "accidental" jab in the ribs when fighting for a ball in the air and that type of thing, but aside from being a dirty oval office is there anything like I should be working on to not embarrass myself on the pitch?

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
Playing football when it's -10°C and snowing sounds cool and manly as hell but in fact, it isn't and is absolute shite.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
I'll usually eat lots of pasta or something with a lot of carbs before the game. lol @ eating a bunch of things that will make you fart and poo poo your pants like hollandaise sauce and eggs.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

Drogadon posted:

I usually eat a banana and a cup of coffee or two

Arent you a keeper though? You could have a full english before every game and not be affected.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
Being a midfielder owns you run around all day twatting into people and intercepting the ball and then you make a sideways or 10m pass to the guy who actually is creative and you start all over again.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

vaginal culture posted:

That isn't going to help you any either. Yall should have a double espresso and an apple. Play hungry, like a predator.

gently caress that, playing hungry is dumb imo. I dont eat a huge meal but I have a decent serving of pasta with homemade pesto and some veggies, i'll drink a cup of tea. Other times i'll make beans on toast with my tea. I dont like playing with people all thwacked out on tina or whatever. Those people are the worst.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
Yeah anyone who can finish is very rare.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
lol sweepers is such an unnecessary part of tactics in America it's hilarious. Our team is one of only like 2 in our division that do not employ a sweeper and just uses a back four.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

Shrapnig posted:

We actually play a 3-5-2 because the strength of our team is the center midfielders.

Nice, I'm pushing really hard for us as a team experiment with a diamond midfield or something because we have terrible wingers and our fullbacks are all failed centre halves.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

This, obviously. I also would say communication is absolutely key, though in a 7 vs 7 game I imagine it will be mainly you switching between defence and midfield. I absolutely hate twats who think they are a sweeper and can just sit in defence contributing nothing to forward play, it's especially hilarious to play against teams who employ those types of sweepers and they just play everyone onside.

I'd say for a defence you should be ideally be able to read the game well but since you haven't played in 10 years, just go wherever your keeper tells you to.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
Mmm yes, I'm ready to die today in our first game of the season in defence and be blamed for it. It's been raining all day too so the pitch is going to be poo poo.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

Bobby Digital posted:

I open palm slap a VHS into its slot. It's a Champions League match and right then and there I start doing the moves alongside the main character, Oliver Kahn. I do every move and do every move hard.

90 minutes plus wind down every prematch.

Are you also a goalkeeper?

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
playing outfield must be a real anathema for goons. I hate playing goalkeeper because I get super bored and we usually have to beg someone to play goalkeeper on our team. I love playing holding midfield though, just running around and twatting into people is something I take great pride in.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

Bobby Digital posted:

That's why I'm baffled by it. I'm not a clinical finisher by any means, but my shots are usually on target and away from the keeper. It doesn't seem that tough.

I'm way better at heading or shooting when I have time on the ball to place my shots, if I'm harried or anything I tend to lash at the ball and don't really place good shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

Drogadon posted:

I play 5 a side so it's never boring unless it's a blowout.

I play 5 a side in the winter but when the weather is nice, I only want to play 11 vs 11.