Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
I play a -very- casual game most Wednesdays (not tonight unfortunately), usually about 9 or 10 a side. I play all across the defence and am fairly left-footed, but I can use the right if I have to.

As far as comparisons go, I'm like a poo poo Carragher: not very fast, bad first touch, can't finish, shout all the time. On the plus side, my passing's alright, I'm very good in the air (despite being 5 foot loving 8) and I'm recklessly brave. Also my tackling's really good. Last week's game was great as all the good attacking players were on the other team (and there are no good defensive players in our games) so organising my terrible defenders into mostly keeping them out felt like a proper achievement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Guitar_Hero posted:

Question: what do you do when the best part of your game is long balls/crosses and dead balls, but you've got no pace and can't dribble worth a drat?

Oh god, I just realised. I'm a crap version of Becks.

You learn to tackle and play DM.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Guitar_Hero posted:

That's where I usually end up playing because my positioning is usually fairly decent, but my tackling is average at best.

edit: actually, I take that back, it's just clumsy. Average is way too good a description of it.

If there's someone else who's good at it (and willing), you could always form a little Pirlo/Gattuso or Alonso/Mascherano partnership, with you as Pirlo or Alonso. Granted that could be a bit too organised for amateur football...

As far as tackling goes, it's very much a skill that improves with practice, significantly so with regular games/training. As long as you keep your eye firmly on the ball and don't go to ground if you can help it, you've got the basics down fine.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

0nslaught posted:

I've had to stop playing as much this past year as little cunts decided that putting late challenges into my ankles was a cool thing to do.

My brother found this. He played as a keeper in a Sunday league and was constantly being subjected to completely unnecessary late challenges when he'd had the ball in his hands for a good second. He's got what could turn out to be permanent ligament damage in his right knee from a shocking tackle by some oval office.

Edit - I can't spell ligament

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
I play football with this guy

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
Central defence up in here.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
The best way to improve your control of a ball is to have one loose in the house at all times, so that when you're walking down the hallway or whatever you can just do some kind of close control with it without thinking. It really does improve your first touch considerably, I find. Even better if it's a mini one.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
I'm the left back motherbitches

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Russ posted:

left back...

in the changing room!!!!!!!!!

:argh:

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
playing in a six a side tournament next week, well excited

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Oh Em Gee posted:

Except of course, we are all really poo poo at football and I don't even think that lineup would win a game against Brandy's cousins.

im loving great

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Craiglen posted:

I believe you

I'm not messing

:c00lbutt:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
If you're gonna be on the wing you can't just have pace, what's your stamina like? Better to go for long runs than do sprints if you're thinking of playing properly, you wanna work on your stamina rather than pace.

Edit - I mentioned earlier in the thread using a small ball to work on your close control, and it's even more important in a position where you're expected to work the ball at speed.

chuggo is BACK fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 26, 2009