Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.
up until the age of 14 I basically just played with my friends on the street / grass when it wasn't waterlogged thanks to the Irish weather.

When I went to secondary school I showed up for training and got put in goal because I was taller than everyone else, although I have played center back and as a striker as injuries dictated. I'm not fast enough to keep up with the pacy kids on the wings though, so those weren't very successful ventures (although for the semi finals of the year we won the cup, I scored the second goal in a 3-3 draw and then went in goal for the shoot out and saved TWO penalties)

Haven't played much recently, since I left school, if I can be arsed to lose weight and get fit I might try for the college team. The most I do is a kickabout on Monday evenings with the guys from work.

Past glories ITT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Oh Em Gee posted:

Our coach would yell at us if we tried to do step overs and what not, even when it was perfectly warranted and would bench people if they tried any of it in favor of someone who just tried to punt a ball around hopelessly.

If it's good enough for half the premiership it's good enough for you.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.
If I get enough notice I'd consider flying over..just need a job first.

Goalkeeper for me thanks.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.
Practice, simple as.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.
I'll go in goal, I am the next Shay Given after all.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Stuface posted:

Or we create a FM database with a Ray Parlour team in the Blue Square league that has us all in the squad in a similar idea to the current FM thing.

I'm actually so bored I might do this.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Vando posted:

You can go piss up a rope if you think any of you fuckers are better keepers than me :colbert:

Bring it bitch. A guy who played for Cork City told me I had potential when I was 8. Beat that!

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Craiglen posted:

Here, anyone got any solid advice for playing full back and/or wing back?

Probably common sense, but there's always someone like this whenever I play. If you play defense, and want to go forward, you better be a fit fucker who can track back. There's always someone who fancies themselves as a Roberto Carlos and bombs forward, only to get the ball nicked off them and find themselves having to chase back after someone.

(But they obviously can't because they're 35, and a chain smoker, so the other team get an easy goal)

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.
Been using predators since I was 15, even though I don't really need a badass pair of boots as I'm a keeper, they do the job and don't look flash. (Because you know some guy will show up in his silver mercurial vapours and be absolutely shite.)

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

ayb posted:

Made my start for my college's team today. I play goalie and the other goalie and I trade halves...well at least we did today.

I have a few saves in the first half 0-0 at the break. Second half they're getting lots of low crosses in on him but he's catching everything solid. With about 10 minutes left he has the ball and goes to throw it to a defender near the touchline. Right when he goes to throw it he hesitates and tries to stop his throw. it goes about 5 yards in front of him and there were forwards coming in. he toe pokes it clear to the middle of the field where an opponent launches a shot from 40 yards out. Sails right over his head :(

I felt pretty bad for him since he's his biggest critic and took the mistake pretty hard. Thankfully he couldn't hear our teammates comments after that went in

Aww :( being a keeper sucks for the most part, every other position can make mistakes and 90% of the time get away with it, or at least not have it traced back to them. But if you gently caress up as a keeper, the next thing you do is pick the ball out of the net.

If your teammates were giving him poo poo you should really tell them to lay off, that kind of poo poo helps no one, even if it did cost them a draw.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

hughsieblingwish posted:

Can anyone keep at a decent level? I've been drafted in by a friends futsal team to play on a weekly basis. I think I'm decent enough at the basics - standing on a good angle, coming out quickly in a one on one and getting out and dominating my area but a lot of the time I get beaten I feel like I'm too upright or something. Any tips?

Also, sneaky tip I've been trying out. If you're ever facing a penalty in 5 a side, stand a few inches to one side of center and most of the time the guy taking the spot kick will shoot at the more open side. I've stopped 4 out of 5 penalty's I've had to face this way and got my hands on the one i missed.

I mostly play 11 a side, so results may vary, but:

Be confident. If you're worrying about conceding, you're going to concede. Don't be afraid to give your team a good bollocking if they leave you exposed either, If you think your team is too vulnerable to a counter attack, let them know it.

5 aside is very fluid also, don't be afraid to get an attack rolling by sending the ball out as soon as you have it. Pepe Reina is very good at this for example. You can see the entire pitch, use it to your advantage.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

irlZaphod posted:

We have our last match of the season tonight. Kinda looking forward to a bit of a break, although we do have other stuff coming up like the Yorkshire 5 a side Tournament. We're planning on doing some tours to cities around Ireland too over the next few months.

Do Cork please :allears:

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

TyChan posted:

Is it normal to be the only right footed player on a squad of lefties? I played soccer for the first time in about 18 years last Saturday and ended up carving out a bit of a right back role. All the other players kept playing to the left side of the field, though, forcing me to go closer to them to make passes. Unfortunately, that allowed the other side's winger and leftback to move easily to the improvised touchline before I could disrupt play.

I ended up getting skinned more than Glen Johnson, especially since we didn't have an offsides rule. Kind of embarrassing.

My legs are also still aching, which is surprising since I run regularly. I guess it's all the pivoting, sprinting, and direction changing.

That is very very weird. When we were trying to get a team together for the business league, out of 15 people only 2 were left footed, and I was one of them. It's no big deal though, a left footer playing on the right can be deadly due to their ability to cut inside.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

euroboy posted:

I feel the need to gloat a bit. Just came home from football and I played the best match of football in my history of playing football maybe. It was glorious. Played striker, scored 7 goals (including some Drogba-esque outmuscling and a replica of that Torres vs Vidic goal) from both flanks and the middle, had some classy assists, ran like mad, worked back in defence and just cleared the ball the gently caress away when there was any danger and everything worked brilliantly.

Except for when I had to take my turns in goal. :argh: My distrobution is the worst ever and I lose my confidence right away.

But yeah, all in all this feels pretty good man.

We're very proud of you :)

Work league starts up next week, and I need new astros and a new pair of gloves :( Best part of a week's wages gone there :negative:

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

irlZaphod posted:

Oh hey, June bank holiday we'll be in Cork I think.

Yessss gays and football, my life is complete :allears:

Seriously can't wait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Destroy My Sweater posted:

This thread made me want to get back into the game, I played from 5-13 recreationally. I looked into a local adult league which is 7v7, which is cool, but they apparently play with no sliding (which I guess I sort of understand), no offsides, and no throw-ins. :wtc:

No sliding makes sense on astro, no one likes losing half the skin on their legs.

Throwins depends on the pitch, the one I play on has 3 games going on side by side with nets seperating each pitch, so play doesn't need to stop (while at the same time, you can't hit the ball off the sides to get an advantage).

If there's no offsides I take it you can't shoot inside the penalty area or something? That and offsides are ridiculously hard to call when it's only one ref.