Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keeper
Jun 5, 2002

RedPaddy posted:

Starting in a new 5 a side student league next week, at manchester city's old training ground in rusholme. Need new boots though, my old pair have split near the toes. I'm looking for comfort more than anything, the football eqivalent of loafers. And it's field turf so Sambas are useless.
I'd probably get the Mundial turf if I was in that situation. I was able to play everyday with those on our Texas fields (commonly known as rock).

Another goalkeeper here, only combined with not being able to come up with a clever username :geno: Currently playing on a usual mid-level 'premier' league team for our area. The exception being a year ago when everything clicked including me earning 2 assists and finishing in 3rd behind the 2 teams that win every year and a called handball or grassy field with the usual few posts from draws/wins when we played them. Then we lost our 2 playmaking center mids, speedy winger, 3 strikers and sweeper all while getting a year older and are now 3rd from last.

I keep thinking if a few things happened differently I would've been able to go a lot further with it, but still I hold a ton of high school records including probably being the only 1st team all-state player to not get an invitation to the college showcase game :sigh: A couple years later I managed to walk on to a fairly good DII college team, had a good time, got tons of free clothes but rarely any playing time. Which sucks since I've always looked 10x better once I get 3 matches in.

keeper fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 23, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keeper
Jun 5, 2002

ayb posted:

Oh man I got my Nike T90 Confidence gloves in today and they are amazing. I love the feel of them already. Having used just poo poo training gloves for so long(no money) I finally have some legit gloves I want to make sweet love to

Any good online place with a generous return policy? (as in try them on and find they won't work, not use them for any games). Gloves have been my last holdout in refusing to buy online but my local soccer store's selection has gone to complete poo poo, with nothing but budget and massive bulky as hell gloves.

keeper
Jun 5, 2002
Are the becoming more and more common gloves with huge amounts of rubber surrounding the entire hand more comfortable then they look and initially feel? My preference for good tactile feel and frequently playing in 100 degree weather makes me have an instant dislike for that idea. Yet it's the only type currently being carried at any physical soccer shop around here.

Playing-wise this stretch of the past 4 weeks could be best described by the first goal of that period, we were playing 2 men short so I was trying to be a 2nd sweeper. Came out on a through ball on the wing about 35 yds out and 5 from the sideline. Slid through the ball, hammered the player busting my shin pretty bad and while limping up I watch see the ball slowly spinning into the far netting. No one has any idea how it all happened and everyone said it was a 1st for them, I'd love to know if there's an equivalent youtube of anything like it.

keeper
Jun 5, 2002

the posted:

I can see what you're saying, but I don't think my "demands" (if you want to call them that) were unreasonable.

Frankly, a public airing of my grievances is nothing I'm ashamed of. They deserve to have a sign taped to their backs. I had to deal with that behavior all season when I just wanted to play.

Other teams would be fine with "wasn't getting enough playing time with _____" less so with "I wasn't playing and nothing happened even when I cried about it."

You have a point, but that read like something I'd expect from an overprotective parent of a fat kid, not from a self-respecting adult.

keeper
Jun 5, 2002

Voodoo posted:

I have somewhat of a specific tactic question.

I'm pretty sure the proper play is for me (sweeper) to step up and attack the wing, and have a 2nd defender move into position behind me near the striker. But what if that doesn't happen? Should I just attack and hope for the best? Or should I try and posistion myself as best as possible to make a play on the pass...without giving up an easy shot (probably impossible). I'm trying to brainstorm some ideas.

Any other sweeper-related tips would be greatly appreciated. :)

Delay, delay, yell at everyone for not getting back. Try to not give them an easy pass or dribble past you and in a position where you can take advantage of a bad touch. Finally, try to figure where you'll become mainly a screen for your keeper and pressure right before then, generally before the 18. If you're optimistic about your refereeing you can try and pull an offside trap if the other forward is staying with you.

The general rules I've played with for a sweeper (which depend on the team) have been you shouldn't be regularly marking anyone, you're in charge of holding the offside line so make sure teammates stay in front of you and selectively pressure to win the ball.

The Mattybee posted:

Am I poo poo out of luck, or is there a chance that there's a league or something like that for me?

They exist, but going to depend on where you are and if you're lucky.