Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
I play every Sunday with whatever people we can wrangle up. We have to hop over some fences to get into the local high school and usually get lots of hippies playing. My problem is that I want something with more structure/competition but I don't think I'm quite good enough for a league. Where can I go to play with 21-25 year olds who have the skill level of a 10 year old?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Which league?

Know of anything in the San Fernando Valley? I'm moving back home from college and would love to have a steady game every week. I play pickup games in Santa Cruz every Sunday, but the city is small and full of white hippies. I'm afraid that moving back to LA will result in no soccer or soccer with skilled players.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
I just moved home from college about a week ago and drove around for 30 minutes trying to find a pickup game. All I could find were some Latino leagues and empty parks. What do I do? How do I play soccer if no one will play with me?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Shrapnac posted:

The internet? Seriously, look online for local leagues.

Ya, that was my first move. Seems like all the leagues are a decent distance away. Craigslist seems like a decent try.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Riven posted:

Took a ball straight to the trachea tonight from close range. That was fun. It'll be fun explaining the giant round bruise on my throat to my coworkers too.

"Took a ball straight to the trachea." Sounds simple enough.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

blueyedevil posted:

I never play the ball across the pitch (unless I'm sending it up to a midfielder with no pressure and I usually look for a quick return pass anyway), always up the wings. The first football I played as an adult was fast-paced 7v7 and I can't tell you how many times those first couple of nights I gave away a back pass to a striker or got caught with the ball at my feet in my own half and gave it up. Speaking of, what do you guys like to do when you're defending and you have the ball at your feet, nowhere to pass, and have an opponent right on you? I've got the simple drag-backs down since that will usually get rid of an overzealous attacker but I'm not terribly fleet-footed when I'm dribbling.

When in doubt, hoof it. If you don't see an outlet, just get rid of the ball. You'd rather have your midfield/strikers battle for a long ball than lose the ball 20 yards from goal as the last man back.

I tend to clear out diagonally as the attacking team has usually collapsed into the center and my wingers are sitting out wide recovering from the last play instead of helping defend.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
I'm starting my first season of 7v7 indoor tonight. I normally play center back or right back outdoor and I consider myself pretty decent. I'm tall and I've got no problem playing smart but physical.

This is what I was told about rule differences from the team captain:

quote:

No slide tackling is a rule.

Also you have to take a free kick without time wasting or else possession gets turned over to the other team.

Sub in at anytime without telling the refs as long as someone comes out at the same time.

There are some other random rules, but nothing too major.

Any tips transitioning to the indoor game rule wise and play wise?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Fryhtaning posted:

It's basically basketball with your feet. Everyone's a box-to-box midfielder unless you have someone who likes to play sweeper because they're either a) a one-man defensive army, or b) fat.

This seemed to be a pretty good description of 7s. We won 9-1. We had at least one guy hold back to watch for counters and that seemed to work pretty well. We didn't use the walls as much as I've seen them used in pick up games, but that's probably because we're big white guys instead of quick tricky little guys.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

CaptainRightful posted:

Yep, this is the worst part of pickup/rec leagues. The worst offenders are always dudes who used to play at some competitive level but are now out of shape. They don't trust anyone to receive a pass, they always dribble straight toward goal, and they lose possession when they eventually get surrounded by 3 defenders.

At least they always track back to help defend the ball they just lost.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Soulex posted:

Life is finally stable again, so first thing is first. This is what happens to your leg when you neglect it. :nms:http://i.imgur.com/h99HvS5.jpg:nms: it got really bad infected and there was the chance of another surgery just to clean it out.

The reason it got neglected had to deal with the health of my wife and son, I was the only one able to walk (or shamble) and I had to choose between them and me. So I did what I needed to do.

poo poo has gone down since that photo a week and a half ago, but it's nowhere near completely healed up. Hopefully I'll be back to playing again in a month or so. Till then, I'm still taking pictures.

Last game of the season. B Team lost, but First Team ended up coming back from a 0-3 first half to win 4-3.

Awesome/gross picture of your leg man.

It's good to know I'm not the only one who makes retard face/hands during games. I have no idea I'm doing during the game, but every picture of me has me contorting my hands into weird shapes.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

blueyedevil posted:

Yeah, just basic foot care when it comes to blisters and stuff. I've got calluses and the blisters I get usually aren't a hindrance to running or walking but I wasn't sure if there was some way to avoid it

Pedicures are also heaven.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Lazlow posted:

wtf is going on in this goddamn thread

Cotton socks are a main cause of blisters, so just don't ever wear them. Get some thin, stretchy ankle socks (usually a blend of spandex/nylon/polyester/rayon) and put your soccer socks on over them; the ankle socks will wick away sweat and be a blister barrier while your long socks will provide more cushion. Lace your boots as tight as you can stand without your feet getting numb and turning blue. If you start to get a blister, put some liquid skin on it and maybe one of those gel-ish blister cushion bandaid things (but they'll probably slip off at some point).

But most of all, play hard enough to get some motherfucking rock-hard callouses on your goddamn feet like a MAN

your bare feet should sound like goddamn tap shoes when you walk across a hardwood floor

Sorry, I'll nut up and grow some balls and be a man. Or whatever the issue is here. Also, I'm gay.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Diplomat posted:

My indoor team always goes for beers after our games. We should probably go before the game, maybe we would actually win a match.

Holy poo poo, are you on my team?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Charlotte Hornets posted:

gently caress losing gains thanks to football, 10 lbs lost in like 4 months with 1-2 practices and the odd game a week.

Eat more, you twink.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

We finished the season top of the table after coming in second place 5 times in a row. One of our losses was a forfeit because these idiots scheduled a game during the World Cup final. We're also one of only two teams to finish with a positive GD and the lowest goals against. Naturally, I play in defense so the whole team can thank me for it.

Next season starts up in 10 days. Going for a repeat.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Ungratek posted:

Did you cut off the bottom of these tables? How does each division have an aggregate GD of like -15?

There's a third (Premier) division that the league uses to fill in scheduling holes that usually wrecks the rest of the teams. It's basically full of ex college players whereas the other two divisions are just fat balding nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

TheBigAristotle posted:

I live in Falls Church, looking for something on Sundays, 7s, preferably. I'm a casual, so good players will torch me, but I'm not a scrub, either.

I got on my last team through a sub board and stuck with em for a few years, playing defense was a rarity where I came from, apparently. I'd imagine things are different in such an international city like DC

Playing defense is always a rarity. Even fatties think they can play striker and wander around the field. If you can play defense and have the discipline not to sprint to a forward position at every inopportune moment, you'll find a team everywhere.