Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

I usually play striker or centre back since I'm almost as tall as Peter Crouch, though with a bit more meat on the bones (pure muscles fyi). I play rough because I'm slow and not that good, just like most guys I'd guess.

I scored a legendary own goal in a school tournament a few years back. I was standing 25m outside our own goal, and I was intercepting a pass by simply sticking out my foot. By some freak reason I got the hit of a lifetime and it sailed right in via the crossbar really loving hard. Our goalkeeper didn't have a chance and the everyone in the stands (all 20 of them) praised me and eventually we lost.

And that's the highlight of my footballing career so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

I'm 2 meters tall and kinda strong (picture Peter Crouch without anorexia), and I'm a pretty decent finisher with both legs so I wanna be in on this. Preferably as striker, though I use to end up as a CB towards the end of games. I'm a terrible header though, but I've got okay pace despite being huge so I like to go out on the right wing also so I can do the one dribble I can actually pull of while running.

I also play dirty as gently caress, use arms a lot and people hate playing against me because I'm a terrible tacker and I just prefer running into them.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Played my first 5-a-side match tonight since June, my legs feel like poo poo but it was really fun. My touch was terrible and I didn't do too much besides running around, but it was nice to get back in the action.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

calcio posted:

How was your Zidane Roulette?

Not so magical, I actually got knocked into the ground by some big fat guy who's whole tactic was to just run into people when they tried to do any tricks.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

calcio posted:

Pretend to be his bud then when he's not looking pull his shorts down to his knees. It's called the Terry.

no i don't want to see what's under those shorts, sorry

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Humuhumu posted:

Rolled my ankle on sunday and guess I damaged some ligaments, still swollen now.

So, play next Sunday, good idea or brilliant idea?

This happened to me. Rolled over my ankle, thought it was just a little thing and then it turned it I had broken a little bone inside my foot and I couldn't play for well over two months. Annoying as hell and still haven't healed properly after 3 years, so you should take it easy for a while to be safe.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

I come back with scratches and bruises all over my legs and especially knees after playing, you get used to it. For me it's the price to pay for playing a high intensity and physically tough (and fun!) game of football.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Looking into buying new boots for artificial turf. Do you have any recommendations on some cheap quality stuff?

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

just bought these badboys: http://www.tst.no/Store/sport/?mode=shop&func=details&fid=1171&print_id=0

was going to get a pair of adidas boots but i got these ones for £20 so i picked them up instead. excited to try them out tonight.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Scikar posted:

it's how to make runs and find space that I need help with because there isn't an obvious way to train it.

this is the by far the trickiest part of playing up front. but if you master it you're gaining a huge advantage.

first of all, timing is crucial and you also need to read and recognize the movements of both the defenders and your teammates. be unpredictable, but always available. move around all the time, swith positions and be a constant annoyance to the defenders. i like to go wide or go deep towards to halfway line so i become someone elses responsibility to take care of, confusing the defenders that are supposed to mark me out.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

You need to be really good to do the roulette and get it to work. And if you do it often on low league/amateur level you will get knocked the gently caress out by the defenders after the first time.

If you're big and strong you should learn to play with the back against the goal and work as a target man, with the occasional explosive attack like Drogba. If you're a big guy you're most likely not able to do "tricks" and you need to play on your strengths rather than trying to adapt to another type of striker.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

I feel the need to gloat a bit. Just came home from football and I played the best match of football in my history of playing football maybe. It was glorious. Played striker, scored 7 goals (including some Drogba-esque outmuscling and a replica of that Torres vs Vidic goal) from both flanks and the middle, had some classy assists, ran like mad, worked back in defence and just cleared the ball the gently caress away when there was any danger and everything worked brilliantly.

Except for when I had to take my turns in goal. :argh: My distrobution is the worst ever and I lose my confidence right away.

But yeah, all in all this feels pretty good man.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Rhgr posted:

We're very proud of you :)

Work league starts up next week, and I need new astros and a new pair of gloves :( Best part of a week's wages gone there :negative:

I might join the team at work after summer, but I'm afraid that they're a bit too serious for my liking. There's some pretty good teams in the league.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Think I need to see a physiotherapist, my left hip and knee have been hurting for the last two weeks, especially walking in stairs have been a bitch. It sorta "goes away" when I get warm and start running or something before it comes back with a vengeance after 30-40 minutes of football or so. It might go away on its own, but I think I need to get it checked out.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

unicron posted:

Probably not a bad idea. If you've got health insurance it's probably not too expensive*??

*Really i have no idea how these things work outside of Australia but i had a 45min session last week and it cost me $15AU after my private health rebate.

It's free over here :)

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

First match with 11 vs 11 on a full pitch tonight, it went really well...for a while. We dominated and worked our asses off and after 45 minutes (we played for 60 minutes) we were up 4-2 and (with 1 cheeky poachers goal from me + 1 assist) before we collapsed in the last minute and they scored 3 goals to win it, including a loving terrible own goal. Very, very annoyed right now :argh:

But great fun, and my knee didn't hurt much either.

euroboy fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 7, 2010

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

My knee feels much better now, I think all the bicycling must have fixed it. Stoked for Thursday night and a full on 11 vs 11 match again.

I've been lucky that I've never gotten a real injury, except for that one time I rolled my ankle while playing floorball and broke a bone in my foot. That hurt a lot for a long time.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

DrakeD posted:

I finished top scorer of my league yesterday! with 24 goals in 29 appearances :)

So, what's your style? (Fat) Ronaldo, Rooney or Inzaghi?

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Taxes posted:

Broke my foot today :cry:

I was keeping inside my box yet some chode tackles me as I pick up the ball.

what kind of a break are we talking about?

anyone, that sucks. especially now in the summer.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Bought some new Diadora shin guards the other day and they were okay but loving hell they reeked like death after I used them the first time. I was a bit sweaty yeah but I didn't know the combination of sweat and any fabric/material could create such a terrible smell. drat, think I need to clean them now.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Had to play at right back (instead of my preferred striker role) tonight with some randoms since almost all of the guys in my group didn't show up. They said they would come though, but I suspect the world cup could be blamed perhaps. Anyway, I scored three goals from outside the box with my loving left foot. I'm right footed so I consider those goals some of my finest moments in my history of playing football.

I'm not fast at all, but I run a lot up and down the wing all the time so I joined in on every attack and just lurked around outside the box and smashed in some goals Frank Lampard style. They tried to cover me up after the first one but I just pushed them away and smashed in two more later.

I was terrible at defending since they had a fast little fucker on the left wing who beat me every time, but I don't care I scored three great goals and won the match 6-5. Feels good man :smug:

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

losty posted:

Now a bit over 2 months later I'm starting to feel comfortable playing again, but I'm still scared to death of breaking it again as it still hurts when I make cuts. Do you (or anyone) have any advice on how to ease back into the game after this injury? And do you use any kind of ankle wrap or brace when you play? One of my friends has a brace he uses for rugby but it looks too bulky.

Do what I didn't, as in do everything the doctor says you should do :negative:

I don't use anything aside from the standard equipment. I don't feel any pain, but I can feel something isn't quite as it should when I move my foot in a certain way. Not worried about it anymore, it probably just grew together a bit awkwardly.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

First football session tonight after the summer break. I was loving knackered after 10 minutes so I had to take a turn in goal. I hate being the goalkeeper because I freaking suck at it and tonight was no different. I was standing at the left edge of the goal and the other teams right winger hits a cross in and it looked to me as it was going to go over goal but the loving ball went in the loving right corner of the goal and I didn't move at all.

It wasn't even full size goals. :ughh:

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Just got back from football, played 70 minutes without my knee hurting :cool:

I was poo poo though, but at least my knee has stopped hurting after a month of pain.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

loving hell.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

tbp posted:

In a small sided game playing with your back to goal as Striker is the most fun thing you can do. If you are a strong guy just hold the ball as far from your body as you can with your back right up in the defender, moving it only away so he can't get a touch. You have full vision of your players to motion for a midfielder to support in the attack, and boom, through ball or your defender picks him up and you can turn and shoot. Very fun because it's so easy not to gently caress up.

That's basically how I play when I'm up front. Drop deep, win the ball, pass it to someone good, run back up, wrestle around a bit and either have a go at getting at the cross or dropping down again and pull a defender or two with me.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

we play 7 a side and we don't have refs. we focus much more on a technical game anyway so there's no sliding tackles allowed and no hard physical play. if there's an obvious foul we just do a quick free kick or something to get on with playing again.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

gently caress my ankle hurts. There was a scramble in front of the goal for a corner, the ball somehow found its way to me and when i tried to score someone gave me little push and i lost my balance and somehow managed to kick myself in the ankle. Really hard.

It's a bit swollen now and got a funky color, hopefully I won't have to walk around with a stupid limp tomorrow.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Hit the post/crossbar four times yesterday and then I was shot right in the balls and had to leave.

Football is cruel.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

So, which boots should I get? My ancient copa mundials are literally falling apart and I've been thinking about upgrading them to one of those new fancydan boots so I can do tricks like Messi. Any suggestions?

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

how do i fix my hamstring?

took a long run for a counter attack and suddenly my hamstring started to hurt like heck and then it went away for a bit and now it hurts a lot when i walk up and down stairs and such, please tell me the secret to how i make the pain go away

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Suqit posted:

Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation

And Ibuprofen.

going to try all of those because this isn't very comfortable

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Ninpo posted:

This. Remember to have breaks between ice packs. Those hot/cold packs you can buy are good.

Update on my hamstring. I didn't have any ice packs so i used two cans of beer to cool it down :cool:

It's alsmot gone away now, though I can still feel it a bit when I walk up stairs. I will try to solve with drinking the beer tonight.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

FortCastle posted:

if anyone has any suggestions on how to become a baller in three weeks I'm all ears.

Work on your fitness and strength and keep stuff simple.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Scored from outside of the box the other night. From a header. I might as well retire now, I'll never top that.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Scored three owns goal tonight :negative:

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

derpachief posted:

Yeah but were they good own goals?

No, they were all poo poo. All three were hard, low crosses that hit me in the knee and shoulder and the last one hit my hand but everyone was too busy laughing to notice it. Then I tried to make up for it by running a lot and then I got tired and I couldn't do anything.

I once scored quite a spectacular own goal on a half volley from 25 meters, possibly the best goal I've ever scored. Such a shame they all fly miles off target when I try to put them in the right goal from that distance.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Ninpo posted:

What the gently caress is a kick in

Futsal.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Alctel posted:

Always Wear Shinpads you tit

This. There's always some shite who turns up only to make terrible tackles or kick people around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Just came home from playing football and there was a guy there that went completely mental and had a meltdown because someone on my team lightly pushed him when he was clear on goal. He started yelling and screaming, repeating everything people said to him with a whiny voice and went on to score four intentional own goals and between those he tried to kick the poo poo out of everyone on my team whenever he had the chance. I love watching a proper meltdowns, especially when we're just training.

I don't think he's going to come back anymore :D