Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I just play 5- or 6-a-side (depending one how many people show up) once a week. No fancy positions, everyone takes a turn in goal (or we play last man back), so I run my overweight rear end all over the pitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Oceanbound posted:

Basically this, except I'm underweight, not over. And I always end up in goal a lot of the time because most of the others won't volunteer. Might be a good thing, since I'm awful. Can't head, can't dribble, can't even kick people. The only thing I can do decently is finish.
Yeah, some of the guys we play with are hopeless at things like taking a turn in goals for a while, or even something simpler like passing the ball. I much prefer playing with the guys who know they're not that good. The others who think they're loving Ronaldo or something are hilarious, they know one or two tricks/stepovers, and that's it. After playing with them for a while we know exactly what they're going to do before they do, and dispossess them constantly. It's frustrating when you're on their team, but hilarious when you're not.

I'd probably be an ok player if I lost a bit of weight, I have ok control, pretty good shot from distance, and good passing. If I'm not too tired I'll take on someone, and occasionally get around them. I just need to get more exercise than running around for an hour once a week. :(

c0burn posted:

This is basically how I imagine a goon football meet would go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7moUSmw4xC8&feature=related
If this happened I would have sex with every one of you...

...but yeah, this is more realistic. :smith:

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 17, 2009

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

the posted:

No one's playing the winter season?

I'm on two indoor leagues at the moment, Men's A and Coed B, where I play keeper both times. I'd like to get out on the field at least once, but apparently there's a shortage of decent goalkeepers everywhere.
Yeah but I usually post :emo: stuff about it in the PWM because it's a GAY TEAM filled with GAY DRAMA.

e: playing in a 5 a side league with some lads from work this evening, help them out occasionally as long as the matches don't clash with my other league and I'm not doing anything else.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

the posted:

Heh, I was being a bit hyperbolic. While I don't stomp on people's feet or grab their testicles, I am a "Go hard or Go Home" kind of player, especially on 50/50 situations. Since it's indoor, I can't slide tackle, but going full throttle towards a 50/50 ball on the wall isn't that dangerous, is it? Worst case the guy gets his cage rattled a bit when he connects with the side wall.

Hell, half the time when someone sees me coming full steam they tend to jump out of the way anyway.
It's just 5 a side.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

If you don't use jumpers for goalposts then gtfo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NeRoSFZWbs

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Craiglen posted:

What about spray paint?

Oh Tallaght... :allears:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

keveh posted:

Has anybody else in the UK not played an outside 5 a side game in around 2 months?

The weather and Christmas period have destroyed any chance of our team playing, our games were just cancelled week after week. Although another thing that doesn't help is we play on pitches next to the Reebok Stadium, so whenever there is a game on it's cancelled, just like tonight.

We are going to be so unfit by the time we actually play we'll need 5 subs as well.
In Ireland, but we had 2 matches postponed after Christmas, but we played last week (and lost horribly :() and again this week (although I'm not around for it due to me being in the UK).

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Playing tonight, feeling kinda nervous. :ohdear:

e: I will probably actually just be a sub for our 11 a side match but I might offer my services to our 5 a side team too since they're playing before the 11's.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

We lost again, pretty disheartening. We have so many players who don't turn up every week and it's frustrating. In a way it's good for me because I'm a sub more often than not, I played the full 60 tonight and actually thought I had a good match. I was up front which really isn't my preferred position, but I've been playing there a bit recently and I think I'm improving (dunno what the manager thinks though).

Played a few people in with 1-2's, and was through on goal at one point thanks to a ball over the top, but I could only put it over the bar. As it was dropping down I was kinda in two minds about whether to take it down, control and shoot, or just put my foot through it (shoulda done this really), tried to do something in the middle and just hosed it up. :sigh:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Got the ball right in the nuts yesterday while playing indoor with the team. :(

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

luvd posted:

wrong thread
I'm not sure if you're telling me it's the wrong thread, or if you got the wrong thread and edited your post. All I know is I posted in the right thread.

Scikar posted:

Yesterday a shot took a double deflection, from one guy's nuts into mine. Still hurt.
Ouch. :( That's kinda what happened with me, there were 3 or 4 of us challenging for the ball, I think one guy got to it, and it deflected up into my nuts. It all kinda happened fast and because there were a couple of bodies involved it's hard to know exactly what happened.

vvv Hurrrr well maybe you should stop posting PWM stuff outside of PWM ok?

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 14, 2010

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Match tonight again, second last one of the season (I think). On the one hand I hope we get a turnout that gives us a strong side. On the other hand, that probably would mean I'm not playing.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Didn't play, froze my arse off shouting at the team, we lost 2-0. :sigh:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Cragz posted:

Up the Lemons!
Oh hey do you play against a gay team or any gay teams (that you know of) in Leeds?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Cragz posted:

Assuming that's a genuine question: No, not that I know of.

Assuming it isn't, it surprised me just how few people (given the 18-30 age demographic generally attracted to 5-a-side football) have any idea that the name has another, fruitier meaning. That's sadly meant the shock-and-awe tactic has had no effect whatsoever.
It was a genuine question, I'm going to Leeds next month for a gay 5 a side tournament organised by a local team. :)

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

calcio posted:

FABULOUS. We need pictures of your gay tournament.
Um no that's ok.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Here 5 a side can either have walls or none, there's no distinction.

There's also no rules about not being allowed in the D.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

We have our last match of the season tonight. Kinda looking forward to a bit of a break, although we do have other stuff coming up like the Yorkshire 5 a side Tournament. We're planning on doing some tours to cities around Ireland too over the next few months.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Rhgr posted:

Do Cork please :allears:
We actually are. The plan is to promote the team and hopefully for people in other parts of the country to set up other clubs so we can get a small league going. Current plan is Belfast, Cork, Galway, Waterford/Kilkenny I think. We'll be doing weekends away in April/May.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Cragz posted:

So you're actually fairly good, then? Where is it you're playing in Leeds when the tournament rolls around?
Uh, no, not really. :( We just finished bottom of the league, I think we got 1 point. Our main problem I think is consistency, too many people don't show up to matches every week. Plus we lost a couple of players a few months ago (including our keeper) because of GAY DRAMA and have drafted in some new players, who are actually quite good to really good.

I don't know where in Leeds the tournament is taking place, sorry. :( Hopefully we'll be able to do well enough in that, we have 2 5 a side teams going into it so one will probably have our best players, the other will have the rest of us.

Cragz posted:

The Lemons play bottom of the league this evening, so I'm rather looking forward to it. If we can pick up another 3 points we've doubled our previous season's best!
Good luck!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Cragz posted:

Would you Adam & Eve it? Not only did we win last night (8-4, for the record - I scored*!) but I'm almost certain we played against an all gay team. Have a look at your tournament information and see if "FC Foleys" are on the list.
Hmmm no, I think the team hosting it there are called the Yorkshire Terriers. The list of teams is mostly just towns/cities. I have found out that it's taking place in South Leeds Stadium, Middleton Grove.

Congrats on the win though, and for scoring. :)

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Well there will be over 100 of us there so I think we'll manage any local gangs. ;)

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Don't think I'll be playing again any time soon!!

Yorkshire Tournament was a loving load of fun apart from being up at 3:30am yesterday, being a complete zombie in Leeds all day yesterday (we arrived at 7:30am, got to the hotel around 9, couldn't check in till 12 fffffff), and, well, that happening to my foot.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

RedPaddy posted:

Laid up at the moment, was playing 5 a side last Saturday and challenged a dithering centre back, slipped as I put my left foot out to get the ball and my foot caught in the turf as I fell, basically bending my heel way too far back, like 130 degrees. Had to sit out for a while but I was able to hobble about for a bit before the end of the game.

I guess it's just a sprain, it hurt like hell the first few days but it's calming down now. I dunno when I'll be able to play again or even if to see a doctor about it, it always feels embarrassing taking football injuries to the doc so he can give me a withering look and some painkillers.
Yeah my toe still has a bit of bruising on it, it's not as sore as it was last weekend but it's still a little uncomfortable to walk on. Hopefully it'll be improved by next weekend and I'll be able to have a little run around on Saturday.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

TyChan posted:

My legs are also still aching, which is surprising since I run regularly. I guess it's all the pivoting, sprinting, and direction changing.
Yeah, running's actually not great for football, because you use completely different muscles when playing, like you said with all the sudden sprinting, direction changing, etc.

I'll be going back to training this week after my toe injury picked up in Leeds, can't loving wait, I've felt so loving lazy lately. :( I was going to play indoor on Saturday but ended up not going in. I bought some new trainers yesterday too so I can't wait to try them out, hopefully now with the evenings stretching out we'll be playing Tuesday or Wednesday evenings in a park for a couple of hours.

Also Rhgr, I'm going to Galway with the team on the 24th April, I'd imagine we'll be looking at a trip to Cork after that, so probably early-mid May. :)

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

RedPaddy posted:

I've noticed this as well, and I have to say the best exercise/fitness training for football I've found is Squash. It's a really good workout for your legs and replicates exactly the same kind of bursts and turns you end up doing on the pitch. The first recovery period is hell though.
Well you can train by doing drills, we did some at the end of last Summer before the league started, just simple poo poo like running out to cones and back.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Played football. Kicked the ball. Foot did not explode in pain. I was pretty happy. :) I was completely out of shape (even more than usual) after my month off though, and my touch was shite. Still scored a pretty nice goal though, with my off foot and all.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Rhgr posted:

We're very proud of you :)

Work league starts up next week, and I need new astros and a new pair of gloves :( Best part of a week's wages gone there :negative:
Oh hey, June bank holiday we'll be in Cork I think.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

One of the guys in work is trying to get a weekly kickabout started up again (we stopped last Summer after about 3 years because we couldn't get enough people consistently). Should hopefully be playing 3-4 times a week during the Summer now. :)

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Rhgr posted:

Yessss gays and football, my life is complete :allears:

Seriously can't wait
I can't either, we're going to Galway next weekend, it's gonna be good craic. Driving down Friday, playing football/doing recruitment stuff (I assume) Saturday, then out on the piss and back up Sunday.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Biggy_ posted:

I would but I have a feeling he'll tell me the same as the internet is. Only thing I'm not sure of is length I'll be out.
Maybe you should ask in The Goon Doctor forum, that's basically the same as actually going to see a doctor.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Played for the 4th time in 6 days last night, and by "played" I mean "showed up, hobbled around a bit and occasionally kicked the ball". I think I overdid it on Monday night and my left knee was really loving sore. I probably shouldn't have bothered showing up, but it was our first week returning to kickabouts on grass and I was really looking forward to it. :smith:

I might need to take a week or two off just to rest up, I've picked up some niggling little injuries that have been cropping up in the last week or two and it's getting really annoying.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Played last night with work, hosed up my knee again, so I'll be missing the kickabout with my team tonight again, two weeks in a row. So loving annoying. It just seems to happen when I shift my weight onto my left leg in a certain way, like if I'm turning or something. I told the guy in work who organises it that I can't play with them anymore, I can't keep doing my knee in on a Monday and not being able to play on a Tuesday.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

hughsieblingwish posted:

what's with everyone getting injured so badly all the time, i play two or three times a week and only come up with bruises.
I'm old and fat.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Ramagamma posted:

Its not so much the pain or the recovery that bothers me. Its hobbling around the office and being told by middle aged woman that I sound like a war veteran with all my groans and squeaks and almost constant stench of deep heat.
Haha yeah, I'm in the same boat, except I'm approaching 30 so I guess it's a little more acceptable.

I went down to footy for our weekly kickabout last night for the first time in about a month. I hadn't played at all in about 2 weeks, that week and the week before I played on Monday with work and ended up doing my knee in, so on Tuesday I was in no shape to play. I'm not sure if it was the pitch or my astro boots (they're falling apart, I need new ones) or a problem with my knee or what, but I decided to rest it up for a couple of weeks. I'm fairly ok, we played on grass for about 90 minutes, I picked up a new pair of proper boots at the weekend and played in them. Just a little stiff and sore today, it's worse when I'm sitting at my desk for a while and get up to go get a coffee or something.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Such a frustrating kickabout last night, we had 6 on 6, I told the manager I'd stay in defense in the first half. I was pretty much a rock, I'm pretty sure we didn't concede at all. I was sticking close to their striker (my bf :v:) at all times ready to cut out passes or just put pressure on. I went in goals for a while then and kept things organised, a few times everyone ran forward (despite me shouting at them not to), but we made it through then took a quick break.

Swapped sides then and I said to the manager I was going to go up front. Well, we pretty much fell apart. There was never anyone back when we got the ball, so if we lost it they would just hoof it up to their man up front, who regularly just had the keeper to beat. It was ridiculous, I know it wasn't a serious match but just because we're in the offseason doesn't mean we should be just relaxing, especially since 9 of us will be playing a tournament in July/August. One thing that really hit me last night is that we have a lot of players who are good at football, but they seriously have no sense of positioning when we're not in possession, or any sort of defensive-mindedness, and it's probably what kills us the most when we're actually playing competitively. I don't feel like I should be the one bringing it up since I'm not exactly brilliant, and I still feel like I'm the new guy on the team. It just seems to me that the more talented players should be better at marking than they are.

Also right at the end I landed awkwardly on my knee and hosed it up again, so that put me in a really bad mood. Hello, a week or two out injured.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah just go for whatever's affordable and has an astro sole, don't be too concerned with getting the latest $200 NIKE PREDATOR AIR MAX whatever bullshit. You're not going to play any better in them over the $50 Nike ones or whatever.

Also quoting from the previous page:

Shrapnac posted:

Try boots on, buy the ones that are the most comfortable. That's pretty much it.

Messyass posted:

Pick out cheap boots that don't look retarded. Try if they fit. Buy.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 29, 2010

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

In an 11 a side match there really shouldn't be a 2-on-1 situation. Tell your team they need to loving defend whether they want to or not.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Shrapnac posted:

This is one of those name + post combo things everyone is always talking about.

Ibuprofen and ice. Learn to love it. I basically live on it the day after a game. If it doesn't feel better in a few days go see a doctor.
Yeah, my knee is usually pretty sore to walk on the day after I've been playing, so when I was in Cologne I was getting a bag of ice from the restaurant in the hotel and just icing the poo poo out of it for about 10-15 minutes. Next day it was fine. I actually only did it for the first 3 days I think, it was kinda been weirdly ok since then.

By the way, playing 8 matches (full 11 a side) consisting of 25-30 minute halves in 5 days is loving exhausting and I don't recommend it. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Save Russian Jews posted:

Traded in my T90 LaserIIIs for a 1/2 size up, and now I have two access cards to NikeSoccer.com's *~ELITE TRAINING~* section. Does anyone want this thing?
Some members of Manchester City's squad may be interested.