Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

:love: Colly

I played field for a year in school, then moved on to AFL and Cricket for my last two years because I was better at them.

However, we started up a five a side futsol team at the beginning of last year. We're okay, we train once a week in summer, then lose all our skills in winter because it's either a) freezing or b) pitch black when we can all get together.

I started off playing up forward and was pretty good, kinda averaging a couple of goals a game. Then i moved back to play defensive anchor because we were leaking goals down there which i kind of prefer because i get to feel like Vidic when i run around and booting the ball away.

However, i seem to have come to a mental hump with my skills, in training i think I've got fairly good dribbling skills and feel like i have a chance of beating someone one on one but when it comes to games i just cant bring myself to challenge anyone else. Its dumb but i have in my head that if i gently caress up I've really let the team down in a game, where as in training it doesn't matter so who cares. i cannot get over this.

also i play goal, which is just a matter of cutting down on angles and getting out low and early. also being able to take the kick in the chest you're bound to get.

for future reference - Nike Total 90 shoots. The really garish yellow and silver ones Rooney wore last season.

hughsieblingwish fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 17, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

RedPaddy posted:

You train?

I think the important thing with dribbling is just be conscientious of where you try it, make sure that you're in a position where if you lose the ball your team has a good chance to defend it. Other than that don't worry about it, especially in futsol. Nothing more toe curling than watching some idiot trying to play past the opposition when he's the furthest player back and then looking around indignantly at his teammates when he gets dispossessed and the other team score.

I'm pretty unfit for a skinny guy, I can do maybe sixty minutes of full on football before I get shoulder cramps and all sorts of weird poo poo. Might work on it over the summer, give me a less miniscule chance of playing on an 11 a side team.

And I hate those T90s, I swear my lovely pair are completely responsible for my latest ankle sprain. I usually wear a cheap rear end pair of nike moulds.

Best skill achievement : That thing zidane used to do where he does a 180 spin whilst running over the ball. Did that to a guy once, ran the length of the pitch and scored from a ridiculous angle.

When i say 'we train' i mean, we only play one game a week and don't do any other exercise so having a couple of hours of kick around in the park before going to the pub and getting hammered is what i mean by 'we train'. Good times.

the T90's are pretty good i find, i started off using DUNLOP VOLLEYS so you can imagine my joy at finding a pair of shoes that mean i can kick the ball without getting a whopping great bruise on the top/instep of my foot. Also the ball goes usually where i want it.

Greatest moment. Having three goals in a game scored by glancing headers from my goalie throws. awwwwww yeah.

also, and any game where we concede less than three goals.

hughsieblingwish fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Apr 17, 2009

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

11-2 victory last night.

gently caress yeah.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Shmoses posted:

You're from Melbourne right? Where do you play futsal?

Collingwood College on a Sunday night. It's organized through some group called "Super 5's". It's not a bad league but there's a fair skill differential between teams, some very good teams made up of off-season field players who really bully us and some really really bad teams.

My teams somewhere in the middle, we made the finals in our first season, I and a few other of our better players went away for most of last season and we bombed. We're back in the mix this season and floating around the upper middle part of the table. Definitely competitive with the good teams and we can make it very difficult for them if i play defense (I usually have a run out in the hole and then finish off the game in goal). I'd say we're this seasons Fulham, which makes me either the Mark Schwarzer or Danny Murphy of the team.

We lost 6-4 to the second top team last night, went down 3-nil early, brought it back to 3-4, they got a couple to make it 6-3 before we got one late. Pushed hard for the win but we just couldn't buy a shot on target late.

On that note, why is it that all the really good players are complete jerks on field? there's nothing worse than seeing someone who's clearly better than you and on a team that's beating you're team 8-1 or something having a big moan about the all maybe being out off one of yours players.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

macaque posted:

Is that a co-ed league?

Yep, 5 players (including goalkeeper) on, minimum two girls and as many subs as you want.

edit: why?

hughsieblingwish fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 29, 2009

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

macaque posted:

why because that's the same league i play!
and i'm not one of those arseholes because quite frankly i'm not very good.

I normally play defence and just barge my way into the ball then get a foul called against me. :\

No poo poo. Which team?

hughsieblingwish fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 29, 2009

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

macaque posted:

we're the super sundaesssssssss, not sure if i'm playing this week though cos i busted my knee collision a few weeks back playing a pick up game.

i find myself playing a lot worse in fulsal than on a pitch (or even a hockey court fielding 11 players), there's just no space for me to pass and i'm too poo poo a dribbler.

Ug. You beat us 6-4 last week. you've got that lanky character who takes himself quite seriously and scores lots on your team, he's quite good.

Yeah, I've played a couple of seasons of indoor and i still don't feel very comfortable, as soon as you take possession there's someone in your face. It's really difficult to settle.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

2-all draw on Sunday against the new team.

Got a goal early then went to 'keeper and spent the second half getting alternately kicked in the balls and hands, end result - jarred thumb, massive shin bruising and only conceded a goal from a free kick about 3meters out.

Definitely need to work out our combinations for next week and stop putting similar players on the pitch together.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Ka0 posted:

Im the perfect athletestriker I don't smoke and hardly drink beer. I'm just unfortunately prone to injuries.

I'm unbreakable, but i drink and smoke. Sometimes before the game, definitely afterwards. Having said that, I play twice a week and we have a training session so I'm pretty fit. It's just that games are on weekends and weekends are my drinking time.

I can play center back very comfortably because I'm big, quick and can read the play pretty well but I prefer to be in the hole up forward and taking the free kicks.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

5-2 win last night after the worst first half in the history of indoor. It was like a game of U-12's out there, everyone was just chasing the ball around.

On the plus side, i got new boots. They're bright yellow, I'm such a sucker for the gaudy shoes.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

I am joining a new team tonight.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Ka0 posted:

Is it called Newcastle.

They are called "Blouses".

On the plus side the yellow shoes worked and I scored two goals to bring us back from 3-1 down to finish up 3-all.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Tigren posted:

Ya, that was my first move. Seems like all the leagues are a decent distance away. Craigslist seems like a decent try.

Failing field you could always try indoor to get a fix.

Drew 4-all with the second top team on the weekend, I think one of them is a goon. Three things I've learnt are that it's a completely different game with a decent ref, saving penaltys in indoors is hard (they get to take the penalty from about 2m away) but I have an idea on how to get a good chance of stopping them and that playing against teams that have one guy who's clearly dominant is much easier than more balanced teams.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

beat the top team 5-4 after scoring a goal with 7 seconds left.

i've been smug-facing all morning.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

I'm on summer break for three weeks. Missed out on the finals by a single point in the last game week.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

the posted:

Hell, half the time when someone sees me coming full steam they tend to jump out of the way anyway.

Yeah because they see you're a loving nutter who's going to clean them up or run them into the wall. It's casual football for christs sake.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Craiglen posted:

How many blues is equal to one yellow?

Maybe that's the point, if you've injured someone you get the blues to remind you of the pain you've caused.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

what's everyones preference for the shin guard?

I've noticed that most people in the leagues i play in just rock the simple calf strap ones. I really favor the ones with ankle guards as well, they're a bit bulkier but they don't fall off or slide around my leg and by the way most of you guys post I feel like I should be more worried about getting slid through.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Can anyone keep at a decent level? I've been drafted in by a friends futsal team to play on a weekly basis. I think I'm decent enough at the basics - standing on a good angle, coming out quickly in a one on one and getting out and dominating my area but a lot of the time I get beaten I feel like I'm too upright or something. Any tips?

Also, sneaky tip I've been trying out. If you're ever facing a penalty in 5 a side, stand a few inches to one side of center and most of the time the guy taking the spot kick will shoot at the more open side. I've stopped 4 out of 5 penalty's I've had to face this way and got my hands on the one i missed.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

the posted:

That's indoor soccer for you. :(

Oh come on, you're playing on a pitch probably made of rebound ace or hard wood, it's barely bigger than a tennis court. Of course you cant slide tackle on it.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Won 8-7 against the equal second team in the league last night. Bloody brilliant.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

outcast_p posted:

One thing sucks about Buffalo, its about $800-$1000 for an 8 game session for soccer during the year, a bit cheaper in the summer months. Works out to be about $75-$90 a player. What is the cost for indoor where you all play?

$60au a game for the whole team in mixed and $15au each for man-only futsal. I play two mixed and one all male game a week. Do I need to factor in the cost of alcohol for post match drinks?

The mixed is more relaxed with most of the rules because there's lots of amateurs and it is just played on an indoor basketball court. The single sex is on purpose built courts, quite serious and is officiated by two guys rather than one.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Tongues posted:

Grasscats, motherfuckers.

Anyone else hate on the bastard teams that will stack their lower league teams with upper division players? I play in the hangover (sunday) league down Geelong way and we always get reamed when teams sneak in some players from the Melbourne leagues. Go back to your division that's 90 levels above mine, you've played enough soccer this weekend you arsehole

Australian futsal represent!

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Got two matches tonight, first is a practice match and the second is against a fairly decent team. Although that is all relative as compared to my bunch most teams are fairly decent.

Just planning on trotting up and down the left wing for the first match to warm up for the second.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Biggy_ posted:

Does everyones indoor/futsal teams have a playoff for the top 4 or 6 or whatever teams to win the league? I know the australian teams would, since we do. Just wondering about England/USA etc

I play in an Australian casual league, I suspect that it's really just down to the whim of the organizers. Some years we've had top four playoffs, some years when there's been lots of teams we've had top four going into an "A" final play off, teams five through eight going into a "B" final play off and then a wooden spoon play off.

Its really in noones interest to not have at least some finals, they're a business who need teams to play to make money and most of the teams are made up of people using it for fitness.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

when people say five a side do they mean futsal?

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

That's what i thought, 5 a side like that is more common in England whereas Futsal is more popular in Spain and South America right?

What's the attraction of 5 a side? I kinda feel like Futsal is a much closer representation of football. I imagine that 5 a side has a lot of smashing the ball into the wall and hoping for a kind rebound?

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

5-3 victory over 'golden monkeys' last night. YEAH!

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Scikar posted:

Winning is fun. My futsal team lost 5-4 to a last minute goal against the only team we've beaten all season, and after we peppered their goal with shot after shot somehow not managing to score more. :(

I play in two bottom half of the table teams, when we get a win it's pretty exciting. Our problem is that we've got to many players and the difference between our better players and our worst players is pretty vast, with our best team on the pitch we're definitely good enough to compete with the best teams in the league, but as soon as we sub some of our other guys on we start to leak goals.

It's not really a big deal because we're just out for a bit of fun, but it can be a tad frustrating going off the field with the scores close then coming back on after they've blown out..

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Shmoses posted:

I can't remember if I've asked this or not, but when and where do you play?

I play in two leagues, both mixed - Sunday night and Wednesday night. Both are run by the same group - super 5's. The Sunday night league is based at Collingwood Secondary College, the facilities are pretty low grade but it's a bit unpleasant if you're playing the late game on Sunday during summer it's a sweat box. On Wednesday's I play at Princess Hill Secondary, which is much nicer and brighter. Generally reffed by better quality ref's during the week.

I occasionally play in an all man league run by Futsal Oz in Brunswick. That's taken quite seriously; during my last game one of the guys from our opposition was red carded for repeatedly threatening the ref and then making a 'throat-slit' gesture at him after he'd made a call he didnt agree with.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Stim posted:

Had a game of 5 a side on Friday night. We won 15-9 over an hour... I scored a grand total of 0 goals but set up 7. I wish there was a was for me to practice shooting with those lovely indoor balls - I've never really adapted to them.

Ah well at least I'm setting some up. I love playing just in front the man furthest back for our team.

toe punt.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Lobbed the keeper in 5 a side on Sunday. It was pretty sweet.

Pity we lost the game.

hughsieblingwish fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 23, 2010

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Most unrewarding 10-nil win on the weekend. Scored a nice goal early, started to feel pretty good about myself, like tonight was the night for a big bag. Only to spend the rest of the game having every single other shot spectacularly stopped whilst everyone else capitalized on the rebounds.

Playing goals in all man league tomorrow, for the first time in a while. Need to prepare myself for the overly aggressive types.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

My game fee's have gone up by $5. The reason - so they can film a few games a week and edit together a highlights package to post on youtube.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Shmoses posted:

That's loving cool. Will you post that poo poo?

Youtube channel, complete with bad speed up/slow mo and beats by Daft Punk.

hughsieblingwish fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 12, 2010

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Lazlow posted:

Dang, I really wanted to post "JESUS SAVES!" but he turned out to be a bit of a poo poo goalie.

Cool highlights, though, thanks for sharing.

Jesus is a okay but he really capitalises on the ability of his buddy who's really really good, Jesus is a bit of a cherry picker. There is also a guy in our league who is a dead ringer for James Blunt. He's wearing a maroon shirt.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Shrapnac posted:

You have plenty of time on the ball in futsal. There's no contact "allowed" so players can't really be in your face defensively.

I want someone to make a Youtube compilation of me so I can get a big fat contract with a really stupid team.

essentially this, even though a good team will push up on you and all your team mates pretty quickly if you try and play out from the back and not give you much space to move.

having a 'keeper who's decent on the ball makes a difference as an outlet.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

CAMiasm posted:

he says i need to work on my "presence" in between the posts. whatever that means. the players say i need to work on catching low balls and say it's impossible to score high on me. probably because i'm tall at 6' 4.5"

Presence has always meant to me taking charge of your area physically, especially for high ball and crosses into and around the 6 yard box. Dont be afraid to throw your weight around, especially early. You've got the officials protecting you unless you do something really silly.

I've always been a fan of flattening someone if you get the chance. Not maliciously, just if they're going to stand their ground under a high ball and you've got to go through/over them to get a punch in dont be afraid to do that.

hughsieblingwish fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Apr 13, 2010

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

see a doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Check physioroom.com. I'm sure they've got a listing of injuries for back of beyond division three.

Seriously though, Google MD is an awful idea. Which part of plugging a vague description of your physical symptoms into the internet and following the non specific advice makes sense. Dr.Goon is better but again you're not in any contact with a professional, they're relying on your subjective description of the injury and are unable to properly assess it, maybe if you had an rear end wart you were worried about and a high quality photo of it...

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, just wary. My brother recently turned his ankle in a game, played through then thought he was okay and just a bit tender for the next game. He goes to the doctor after who tells him he's a dick for not checking and he's done more damage playing on it again and is now out for two months.