Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

:love: Colly

Scored four and had two assists in a 7-1 Futsal victory on Sunday. Might have had a couple more but I sprayed a couple of decent chances wide on the turn when I had more time than I thought and was denied by the keeper a couple of times. I do like teams who let me take the ball down with my back to goal.

Got a cold so I'm not going to play tonight which will definitely make me sick but hopefully should be right for tomorrow night. Playing in both weekday leagues, where the standard is much higher has made a big difference to my game. Feeling much more confident on the ball than I ever have.

Just wish all the no shows would stop me having to shift my position around all the time. Forward, defense and keeper. I do em all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

bonus point shoot out?

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Shmoses posted:

Every year when the Melbourne comedy festival is on, David O'Doherty plays a game or two at our centre. He's really good, last time he was here he scored four goals and set up all the others in an 8-3 win.

Should have just hacked the bone.

Where do you play again? It's Albert Park isnt it? Never venture over to the Victoria street courts in Brunswick?

Went to buy new shin guards today, they only had kids sizes. Wouldnt be a big deal if the only pair I own these days had'nt split in half on the weekend. Anyone got any recommendations? I'll probably just get some shiney nike ones or something. I know some people like the smallest possible shin guards for indoor but I prefer the big old ones with ankle protectors.

Spent too much time accidentally slide tackling the goal post as a youth to forgot how much copping something hard in the shin hurts.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Shmoses posted:

Nah, my mate's family own an inline hockey rink in Reservoir (out behind Northland), and I play there. Not sure how I'd go at other centres, all the courts I've seen are way too small.

Yeah it certainly can be pretty small. Sundays and Wednesdays i play 5's on a basketball court. Tuesdays is on a purpose built stadium which is bigger. Probably a couple of meters wider and five longer.

I think it's meant to promote skills and close control, I find often it means that guys just bash into you when you're on the ball because you've got nowhere to go.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Shmoses posted:

Where is the purpose built stadium?

We won 3-2 tonight. We were 2-0 up with 2 minutes to play, then an own goal went in off one of our guys, then a calamitous mix up between me and and our other defender led to us conceding directly from our own kick off. Then we scored directly from that kick off. By the time the other team kicked off again, there was still 1.10 left on the clock. Three goals in fifty seconds.

Brunswick, on Victoria street. it's a good stadium though the competition is taken really seriously. we're in division B somewhere in the middle. I like the surface, it's pretty similar to rebound ace that they stick on tennis courts, although it's a loving nightmare to keep on as any time you slide it shreds your skin like sandpaper.

i dunno what level you're at, probably above mine though.

we won 5-4 tonight, probably should have won about 10-2 though. They somehow managed to get up 3-nil after about 5 minutes from one well taken goal and two massive deflections past me. Came out of goals late in the half, got two, set up another to get us back in the game and then went back into goal to lock it out.

Felt pretty good, though I'm coming off a cold and it was by no way my best performance in goal. I think being laid up the last couple of days has sapped nearly all off of the little lateral movement I have. I've never been great at getting down but today it felt like my hip joints were fused.

Any tips? I think I've got the positioning right and when to come out but i always feel like I'm a bit too upright. I'm not sure how or what to spread out and mostly just horizontal knee slide at someone, often end up wearing the ball in the face.

hughsieblingwish fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 5, 2010

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Isosceles posted:

I play keeper in an okay level indoor rec league and what I find best in 1v1 situations is to quickly come of the line and pressure the strikers. Most of the time the forward lose their composure and lose the dribble or I would have cut the angle of that they don't have much space to shoot on goal. And it's indoor so there's not much time and they do feel hurried anyway.

The guys that are really good will beat me but a lot of the times they'll mess up too.

cool, all this advice is good. it's pretty much how i think i approach keeping; quick off the line and in the attackers face, usually works but can be a little embarrassing when they've overloaded past our defenders through the middle and just cut me out with a pass. i feel like i can blame my defense for that though, not that it makes me feel much better.

we're playing a much better team (as a team i'd say we're better but they're one of those irritating teams who has one blitzing good player who can beat most of our guys off the dribble and just carries his whole team) than us on the weekend and our regular keeper is out (mothers day ahoy) so i'll try and all the advice in mind. will report back on Monday, pictures of bruises and all.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Lost 3-2 after being 3-nil down after about 5 minutes. Probably should have won or at least drawn but their keeper kept us out (he's an absolute cock but he's really brilliant), we had all the possession and heaps of shots but just couldn't find a way through.

Probably came out about even in goal - I think I let in two goals which I should have done better on (one was a flick header I should have come out too and another was a shot across me from an angle that I got hands too but couldn't keep out) but made three or four good blocks in one on one situations. The advice definitely helped. Thanks guys.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

had a pretty average game last night, 7pm on a sunday, i was tired from the night before and had a nap in the afternoon. despite the fact that i absolutely needed it i felt like i spent the game in zombie mode and just couldnt get going. sprayed some pretty good ball around and was taking the ball down quite well but couldnt get my finishing going at all. Lost 3-5 to the top team. Should have been better.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

what's with everyone getting injured so badly all the time, i play two or three times a week and only come up with bruises.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

If your conceding goals to cut out passes from the wing to open players pushing through the middle the issue is more with your defenders not pushing back hard enough. Yell the gently caress out of them. That's what I do.

Filled in for a friends team last night, Played a bit in goal and didn't concede anything which was nice but I was pretty fortunate that most of their threat came from through balls I was able to cut out reasonably well. Got away with a mega handball outside the area though. Came onto the field and scored by going round the keeper, woo. First time ever. Lost 6-3 though, it should have been closer - hit the bar about a dozen times and so many shots cleared off the line.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Won 4-3 last night. Deceptively close, they scored a goal in the last second from a side ball which clipped our goalkeeper on the shoulder and at one point it should really have been 5-1. My brother 'scored' a goal, which clearly went over the line then bounced back out. Everyone stopped, we ran off celebrating whilst one guy from the opposition just ran down the other end and scored a goal. Everyone else, even the majority of our opponents were 'what the loving?' all over the place, the opposition goalkeeper told the ref that it was over the line. To no avail.

Didnt have the best game, hit the post and moved the ball okay but the 3 hour training with the under-13's I'd run the day before had given me a sore knee. couldnt get any quick lateral movement off my right (dominant) side. Didnt help that I got hacked down early in the second half and ended up with both a sore knee and throbbing ankle.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

mang posted:

and there's the difference between the a and b divisions

"training". speaking of, i've somehow become coach of a boys under 12's team. they're all pretty good, i think my role is just to really keep them organised and holding their positions. does anyone have any suggestions/website which are good for a few drills?

I've been trying to get them to strengthen their non-dominant foot with some simple passing and moving, few simple through ball drills to get them passing to where their teammates 'will be' rather than always to feet and some agility stuff but any advice from others (with more experience) would be great.

hughsieblingwish fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 26, 2010

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Alctel posted:

I actually found completely the opposite, the co-ed league is a lot more chilled out than both the mens and the womens leagues (this is in Canada)

absolutely, co-ed leagues are much more chilled out. sometimes it gets a bit firey when someone gets collected. I dont appreciate it if my girlfriend gets hacked down from behind. All male leagues are hosed, filled with hypocritical aspirational types who think they're the second coming of C-Ronaldo, who'd love to throw a elbow into your chest when noones looking but will collapse like a house of cards if you touch them.

this is indoor by the way.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Played two games last night, won both.

Sat in front of the defense in the first game because we were playing one of the stronger teams in the league. They've got enough good players that they generally just leave a player forward for the quick counter off of a goal keeper throw. Swept up really nicely, broke forward a few times and generally kept it really tight. Final score was 4-3, but that sounds closer than it really was, we conceded a goal with about 10 seconds left. Probably one of the best team performances we've ever put out, probably had something to do with our best group all turning up and none of the flaky unreliable players showing.

Filled in for another team in the second game, won 7-4 after being down 4-2 at half time. Scored one, maybe two but the dubious goals panel would have credited it as an own goal.

We're in a finals spot now, we've put in some pretty strong performances the last few weeks against the top three teams for a win and two really competitive, close losses.

Playing three times a week has made me about twice as good a player in 6 months I reckon.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

speaking of goalkeeping. I've noticed quite often that goalkeepers diving to make saves are going the ball punch with their 'off' hand across their body rather than the hand on the side the ball is going to.

For example, a player shoots to towards the top left corner of the net and the keeper diving that way, instead of punching with his left hand clears the ball by twisting to his left during the dive and punching the ball with his right.

I'm guessing that keepers making those kind of punches, if they're able to are attempting to clear the ball further up the field with a strong punch rather than just tip the ball wide with the hand that's not able to get any real power behind it.

Does this make sense? I'll try and find a video of it.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Lazlow posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for shin/ankle guards? I'm thinking of these, I like a lot of protection and I hate straps.

I use the entry level Adidas predator ones. I reckon they're pretty good; lightweight, good protectors on the shin and ankle and fit pretty snugly, the only time they've been shifting around is when I take a hit. They were about $15-20au, so probs $10-15us which is'nt going to break the bank.

Best thing to do is just go to the store and try a heap of them on and have a bit of a run up and down and a couple of quick lateral movements to make sure that they're going to stay on and feel alright, most places should let you do that. That way you're buying a pair you know are good for you rather than ones which are good for me.

edit: they're $17us plus shipping, the other ones on that page look like serious business.

hughsieblingwish fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 16, 2010

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

K-Block posted:

I'm trying to get into playing intramural at my school as something more competitive than squash. I'm in reasonably decent shape, but I unfortunately tweaked my groin this past week playing softball.
Anyways, any good workout ideas? I was running up until now, and slowly getting quicker. I'm not a huge fan of straight running, so I'm looking for more. Would the stationary bike help?
Also, we play on turf (I'm pretty sure) so any specific footwear I should look for? I don't have a shop to try on shoes near me unfortunately.

There are boots specifically for turf, they've got short'ish rubber studs usually. They're somewhere between the moulded studs of a grass boot and the flatter sole of a pure running/indoor futsal shoe. if you're buying online i guess it's a bit of pot luck but definitely research the ground you're going to be playing on before making a decision.

Pretty sure there is a version of the Nike Tempio for turf. I used to wear them for indoor and they were pretty good.

(sometimes turf shoes are listed as 'touch football boots' too)

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Collingwood Sunday League Division 2 champion in the house!

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Shmoses posted:

Congrats man! Do you have an end of season piss up? We take Brownlow-esque 3-2-1 votes from every player in every game during the season then count the votes and get blind drunk at the end of every season.

Just had a BBQ after the game, few beers but nothing too exciting. If we did a Brownlow voting system it'd be the same three players every season at the top of the table as a few of us play every game and others only play every two weeks. We've done awards nights in the past, I won 'shortest distance driven to training' last season - about 500 meters, but in my defense it was really cold. I would win 'most emails sent to the competition organizer' this year.

Was a really good way to finish off at Collingwood though as we're moving to a different league for the next season - still on Sundays but in Fitzroy North. It's closer to everyone's house's, starts earlier and the guys who run it and ref there are much more proactive and basically better than at the Collingwood league. Plus we were kinda sick of playing some teams at Collingwood; exacerbated by the team we absolutely couldnt stand at Collingwood moving to Fitzroy too.

Also, anyone know who I can email at Nike to direct a footwear complaint to? I brought a new pair of T-5's a few weeks ago and they're starting to come apart already. I've probably only worn them a half dozen times and only during games. What the eff!?

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

My Wednesday night indoor side finished in 8th this season but scraped into the div 2 finals (div 1 finals is 1-4, 2 is 5-8). We've pretty much had the season from hell, half the team is made up of players who cant be stuffed playing every week reappearing occasionally, playing like it's their first game of indoor ever and then disappearing for another couple of weeks. It's really just screwed the whole balance of the side up for the three/four of us who've turned up every week. We've had some really good results against the teams around us and beaten them all consistently but as soon as we come up against a team that spreads us out and focuses their play through our weaker players we get hammered. Cannot count the amount of goals we've conceded from very simple cut out balls across the keeper that have not been tracked by the back post defender and ended up being easy tap ins.

ANYWAY. Last night we played our first final against the side in fifth, a team who's beaten us twice this year quite comfortably and to top it all off one of our regulars pulls out 45 minutes before the game because she had a date. Somehow, with a player down for the entire game we managed to win 7-6. It was awesome!

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Also, dont buy Nike T3 indoor shoes. I brought a new pair a couple of months ago and after maybe a dozen games they're starting to come apart at the 'impact zone'. I really want to complain to Nike about it but I've no idea who to email.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

it's never the keepers fault, every goal you concede in 5's the keeper has absolute rights to bawl out his team unless he's physically thrown the ball into the net himself.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Thel posted:

Harden up, son. :smugbert: As one old codger said to me "If you ain't bruised afterward, it wasn't fun enough" - I'm not sure if he was referring to football though. :barf:

I played (indoor) goalie on Friday and had to sleep on my rear end for most of the weekend (can't wait for my goalie pants to arrive). I need to get better at picking whether to dive left or right - is there a rule of thumb (i.e. "always dive right for a rightie"), or is it just instinct/sheer panic? Got beaten high to my right 3x on Friday (it would help if I had a competent D - or any D at all really).

Play a diamond on defense, that pushes up into a flattened triangle when you have the ball. If they ever get a player free between you and your defenders you have all right to bawl out your players for pushing too far forward and leaving you exposed.

Get some good kneepads, the most expensive the longer they will last. The basic rules I work to are 'come out and close down the angles'. Try and only give them one clear spot that they can put the ball in, know where it is and be ready to go that way. Strong hands and wrists, i dont wear gloves because they inhibit my throwing but that's personal, sometimes it's better to go the punch than the catch if it's a hard strike and you cant get your body behind it because of the weight of the ball.

Speaking of that, the ball we play with is pretty heavy so it's quite difficult to get any movement on it. So getting the ball curled around you into the corner wont happen really but hard shots from range have a tendency to drop on you so get your body right behind the ball and keep your legs closed (you whore).

Be really vocal, you've to the best view of the field on your team so making sure your players know where they are in relation to their direct opponents, or in your zone and just generally keeping them organised is just as important as shot stopping.

edit: oh god and please show a little intensity when you have the ball, you can create so many chances if you can release the ball quickly. especially off opposition corners.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Thel posted:

Any sort of positional strategy is a bit beyond my team at the moment - I basically have one guy who does the right thing on defense, two guys who can be yelled at to get back, and the rest of the team (5 players) think I'm yelling at anyone but them :negative:. Speaking of yelling I already do a lot of that, calling marking and open players (I try and avoid the "shoot!" yelling, but sometimes it slips), so no worries on that front.

We use futsal balls, which are built like bricks (especially when overinflated) and don't move in the air. I try and be fast on distribution, but if my team are all standing there like "how i get away from other playa", I figure I'm better off holding on to it.

e: My question was more for one-on-one strategy - my team leaves me to hang out to dry an average of three times a game, most of those times resulting in a goal - I'd like to make it into a 50/50 proposition at least (even though the attacker always has the advantage).

Like you said it's pretty tough; when you're left open like that. If they're coming down the middle of the pitch all you can do is get out early and close the angle down, make yourself big and watch the ball, keep your hands strong. If they're running down a wing then it's a bit easier to get out and shut down the angle. Sometimes the best thing to do is just get out and slide into the ball, you'll probably take a few kicks to the chest, body or knees to the face but there isnt much space on an indoor court and you can cover distance pretty quickly to close down a player.

Sometimes if you've got time you can try to fake going across one way and then go the other, often the skill level is low enough that if you give an opponent an option in Sunday league they'll generally take it. Can make you look stupid though.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Anyone in Melbourne can watch a highlights/replay of my mixed ammos team win the Collingwood Div 2 Sunday league final on Channel31 tonight between 7 and 8. I think it's on at about 730 during the Extra Time show. I have no idea why it's going to be on tv, the quality is of play is so low but whatever it's going to be awesome.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

it's just $10 dude.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Breath Ray posted:

Gee thanks. How do Sambas perform on astroturf/sanded carpet? From playing tennis I remember slipping about a bit.

i think as most people have said when the shoe discussion comes up it is pretty much a matter of personal taste, go to the store, try a few on and make up your mind from there. Personally I find most of the Adidas indoor shoes have quite a thick sole which makes me feel a bit high off the ground, the Nike T-5 series are a bit flimsy but much better. What's my point? try some shoes on.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

CAMiasm posted:

i love my tiempo mystic iv tf's. they're very comfortable, built sturdy yet not too heavy, and the grip is fantastic. i'm sure you'll get a lot of recommendations for the nike mercurial victory's though.

whatever you do, make sure you get shoes with the little nubs on the bottom.

like this:

not this:

I reckon Nike indoor shoes are heaps better than the Adidas ones. I've tried a couple of times with Adidas boots and they're always really think and have thick soles which makes me feel unbalanced whereas the Nike ones are much lower and wider. I feel much more balanced in them on an indoor court. Big fan of any garishly colored Nike Elastico Pros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

I wear Nike Elastic Pro II's, I play two/three games a week in them and they've lasted pretty well so far. Bit of wear on my kicking insteps but that's to be expected. I've found Nikes sizing runs about .5 of a size large; I usually wear size 11 but need 11.5 for my indoor shoes.