Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I'm jealous of y'all--I can only play three times a week out at the local Air Force base in a game of pick-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I push up as much as possible in my rec league. If I were in the UK with you fellas I would play as a striker :shobon:

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I just wear Adidas Sambas. I'm overdue for some new ones, in fact.

:cool: goal this morning. Yeah, I tapped in a loose ball in the box :c00lbert:

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

THE MACHO MAN posted:

So for some reason we had an extra large group yesterday and broke into a second game, picking up a few randoms to make up the difference. Two of the people that joined were these two girls, and holy poo poo, this one girl was good.

Right off the bat, she streaked down the wing, hooked it in perfectly to her friend who headed back to the other girl and she rocketed a volley just wide. She pretty much spent the entire game either just dropping perfect crosses or just making whatever defender got stuck on her side like stupid. This girl was either a college frosh or soph, could not have been more than 110 pounds soaking wet, and was schooling dudes who were all about 21-35, many who are experienced and played college ball. I've never seen anything like it in a co-ed.

Related to this...

I play pickup at the AFB nearby on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Generally, it's Air Force dudes on their lunch breaks. The skill level is pretty decent, actually, given the international qualities military bases can bring.

Anywho, during the summer, there's a lot of college kids who come in whose dads are military folk, and all of us younger folk often end up on the same team. For the better part of last month there was this girl who was exactly as you described, and she was playing the "big striker" portion of our pair up, since I, despite my 6'3" self am not very strong on the ball, but have a decent amount of flair.

It was just awesome to see this little person holding up and keeping the ball glued to her feet and feeding me crosses while 35 year old military dudes were trying to muscle her off.

Riven posted:

I used to play a lot of hockey, in the goalie position.

Haven't played in a few years, and I moved to Phoenix, and my gear is gone, and I really don't have the budget to replace a full hockey goalie kit.

I broke my ankle a few weeks ago skateboarding and have been laid up with not much to do, so I've been watching the WC, and gotten really into it.

I'm thinking once my ankle heals up I'm gonna go to some of the indoor soccer places around here and ask about joining a team. I'll probably be looking to play keeper. Can anyone direct me to some good websites for training tips, play tips, etc?

For what it's worth, my dad has been playing goal in hockey since he was a teenager, and he's involved in training and in camps around the area--he's got mega-chops. Anyhow, my sister and I got him into watching matches with us years ago, and just from osmosis, he's begun to love football, too.

Of course, he's super interested in goalkeeping, and he goes on all the time about how the principles are really close to the same; cutting down the angle, distribution, communication and the likes. I bet you're already better than 90% of 5-a-side indoor keeps simply because of your hockey experience.

5-a-side Indoor is really close to hockey, tactically. ...In my opinion.

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 19, 2010

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Riven posted:

It's just that big net that concerns me. :)

Oh in indoor the nets aren't outdoor size

This is extremely typical