Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
I played from age 5 up to about a year ago (aged 35). I mainly played defense throughout my career; marking back, stopper or sweeper. My high school team was Texas State champs in 89, my club won state several times, and I played with many good players. I played through college, and also on ODP state teams for South Texas which allowed me to play in some fun tournaments and places. We played in a tournament in Boston where we were the featured opening match against Ranger's youth side. We were under 19 at the time. We lost.

I also played a few years in the Pike's Peak tournament at the Air Force Academy. We played Cruz Azul's youth team there. We drew them 1-1. Both sweepers (including yours truly) scored own goals. They invited us back to Mexico City to play. We stayed at the National Training center literally across the street from Azteca. We played three different pro team's youth squads with varying success. We showed up at Cruz Azul's compound to play the youth team, and there was a mixup. We ended up playing their B team. That was the biggest rear end whooping I have ever received on a soccer field. It was 18 year olds against men playing pro.

Now that I have had reconstructive surgery on both knees, and gained weight, I can no longer play in my Sunday league. Last one, I tore my ACL, MCL, MPFL, lateral AND medial meniscus all in one fell swoop. Boy was that fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

ibroxmassive posted:

What would happen if I stood next to you and said 'Go go gadget knee?'
My first ACL the surgery hurt way more than the initial injury. Not so the second time. I was sliding a ball away and as I went down my clear caught. As my knee started buckling the guy I was tackling went through my knee. Teammates say it looked pretty gruesome. I was screaming like a little girl and actually had tears in my eyes until the morphine kicked in.

I had to wait for the swelling to go down and for my MCL to heal before I could have the reconstruction. That took about three months About a year after surgery I started playing again, but my knee just wasn't the same. Practicing would hurt my knee for 3 days and games for a week. I came to grips with reality and hung em up. I started taking glucosimine daily and it had made a huge difference. It no longer hurts to climb or descend stairs. Woohoo!

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Ka0 posted:

I have a Tissot watch and met my gf in middle school

prepare to grind your meniscus off. I wonder if modern treatment includes replacing your knee padding with rubber or poly substitute just to avoid late onset arthrosis.

Not yet it doesn't. A (late) friend of mine was working on synthetic cartilage , but its not available yet. I wish I had me some!

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Dr. Platypus posted:

I went to several stores today looking for a new pair of boots, but sometime between when I last bought them and now, their selection has greatly shrank. What are some online dealers who deliver to the US and have a decent variety of sizes, since I wear somewhere between a 12 and 13, depending on the brand?

https://www.soccer.com I have bought many an item from them, from shoes to replicas to jerseys for teams, balls, etc. Good customer service and quick shipping. Just make sure you know your size, because once you play in them, they are yours. I have a buddy that buys all his shoes off ebay.

Suqit fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 25, 2009

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Oh Em Gee posted:

So far.

-------???????---------????????----------

Grievo--------??????-------Oh Em Gee------???????

Chuggo---------???????-------????????-------duggimon

-------------------????????-------------

I'll play center back. Too short but I have a vertical of at least 5.5" these days!

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Craiglen posted:

I'm definitely a massive impact sub.

I'm not even kidding.

Kind of like a Dani Alves, perhaps?

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Oh Em Gee posted:

you guys suck. I'm good enough that I usually play my 5/6/7 a side games in Air Jordans.

This in only impressive if they are the original Air Jordans, circa 1985.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Luigi Thirty posted:

How many cruciate ligaments have you torn, counting ACL, LCL, MCL, and PCL separately?

5. But they were all my own.

Also, any defender that doesn't get yellows on a relatively regular basis is doing it all wrong.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Shrapnac posted:

I wear tiny shinguards. I'm pretty sure they're adult XS. They cover maybe half of my shin.

This is the proper way to wear shinguards. No tape. Grow some calves you pansies.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Kommienzuspadt posted:

i copped 2 pairs of the absolutes at like 120 a pop, theyre both great and still are in working order. studs are totally worn down and the gold pair i have (i know, but it was because of zidane) are almost ripping at the toe.

i also have a pair of puma 1.06ks around somewhere they were great. i've played in 3 different countries with htose boots so i'd like to find em and keep em or at least wear em til they bust or something.

Always own two pairs; one for training (calf skin) one for games (kangaroo).

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)
Welp, I started playing again. My knees feel pretty good. Touch apparently never goes away, so that is nice. Just trying to strengthen up my leg muscles and lose some weight so I don't have another injury and I can stay married.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

the posted:

I've been out of commission due to a hamstring tear on my right leg since February. I've been in physical therapy for the past two months. This type of injury takes absolutely forever to heal.

If I have a word of advice to any of you it's to keep your hamstrings flexible. If you can't easily reach your toes, you're going to injure yourself soon.

That being said, while I'm recuperating I've begun trying to "learn" to shoot with my left foot. What a nightmare. I just took about 100 shots over and over into a net looking like a 5 year old.

Even more important than keeping them flexible is keeping them strong. Soccer players have a bad habit of having quads that are far too strong in comparison to their hamstrings, due to neglecting the hamstrings and overworking the quads. Keep those hammies strong lads.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)
Now that I'm finally in good enough condition cardio vascularly to get a good run in, my knee has started swelling again. gently caress me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

euroboy posted:

how do i fix my hamstring?

took a long run for a counter attack and suddenly my hamstring started to hurt like heck and then it went away for a bit and now it hurts a lot when i walk up and down stairs and such, please tell me the secret to how i make the pain go away

Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation

And Ibuprofen.