Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

It's difficult to name a player similar to me. I can control the ball, move it well, pass short and long, can't head the ball to save my life and I'm lightly built which matches most attacking midfielders I can think of. But I'm also pathetically slow which doesn't really match any attacking midfielder I can think of ('cept maybe Scholes but I can only score from inside the box).

I played for a Sunday League team when I was younger but since I couldn't head the ball I was stuck out wide, and since I wasn't fast enough to outrun opposing fullbacks I was left as a fullback myself, which usually ended in 50/50 between a well timed defensive tackle and being left for dead by any left winger who can outrun a turtle. I could run for 90 minutes though so at least I got to be crap for a full match instead of being subbed off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Ka0 posted:

Out for a full month because of tendonitis on my left knee. This rocks.

Owen is that you!?!

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I'd definitely be up for it, I'm also terribly unfit though so if the teams are based on who we support I think Man U are hosed.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Since I'm home for the forseeable future I joined a local team. Came on as a sub with 25 minutes to go, ran my rear end off for 10, threw up for 5, jogged slowly for 5, threw up for another 5 and then the whistle went. To top it off somebody knacked my toe with a late challenge and now I can't walk. Loved every second of it.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Played my first competitive 5-a-side game in years yesterday. The day before the match we had 10 people due to turn up, and I wasn't actually one of them, plus a couple more were turned away. At the kick off we had four players and I was only there by coincidence.

Strangely enough our opponents agreed to lend us one of their subs for the game, who turned out to be really good and we were 6-2 up at half time. Then they swapped him for a different player, we all got tired and I had to do a stint in goal with a pulled shoulder. We lost 13-11. :(

To top it off I discovered that my lungs don't like the filling they use in that kind of astroturf either since by the end of the match I could hardly breathe.

Still going to play next week though!

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

The last game was 6-5, I don't think either side for this one had a proper goalkeeper and like I said, I've pulled my shoulder so I was hardly reliable. It's also a full hour's match and the goals are larger than I've seen in 5-a-side before so it's not that surprising really.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I scored today. We scored 7 overall. We conceded...

...28. What a mess. The other team were all fit as hell and just ran rings around for us for 60 minutes, on top of that their keeper was incredible so they just played everyone up front and let the keeper do the work. It was end to end stuff but unfortunately there were a lot more goals at ours. :(

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

the posted:

Wow, that must be a HUGE indoor place. Everywhere I've played, the fields have been very small, and the teams were 5v5.

That being said, I prefer defense. I'm not that quick and I basically play like Vinnie Jones (Ask me about being thrown out of my last game).

Wait, seriously? Playing that rough honestly has no place in a casual 5-a-side league. My teammate had someone go right through his knee this season, tearing the ligaments and he still struggles to walk on it 6 weeks later. Either you don't really know what Jones was like or you're a complete dick who should stop playing football and take up kickboxing.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

If you want to win then of course you have to make some effort with 50-50s, but I work on the basis that if there's no ref I play carefully. If you haven't got someone who can be at least a bit unbiased to call free kicks and stop things escalating then it just turns nasty, and I'm not prepared to risk my knees over a casual league.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Anyone who gets a yellow in a casual game is doing it all wrong. :colbert:

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I broke someone's arm on Friday, in a clean tackle. I'm not a complete dickhead though so I said sorry.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I had some massive Adidas pads where the ankle guards were a bit too bulky and didn't fit with my boots properly, but there is absolutely no way I would take to a pitch, even in fives, with the simple calf strap types. Half the people I see using them have teeny ones that leave the top half of their shins exposed and usually don't even have the straps either. I daren't even think about playing like that.

e: Also, called the guy whose arm I broke last Friday to apologise again and find out how soon he could play again. Turns out he sprained his wrist but there's no break so I feel like less of a thug now. :)

Scikar fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 27, 2010

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Both 5-a-side leagues I play in are £20 a match for the whole team. The Sunday league has been great, we lost 5-2 on Sunday but we were unlucky with two of the goals and one was just a terrible defensive error - we scored to put ourselves 2-1 ahead after a lot of work, then right after the kick off their player just runs forward, the defence backs off and he slams it into the bottom corner.

I was glad to get the assist for our first goal though, I saw our striker ready for a run and dinked the ball over the defence for him. The keeper thought it was too long and came out to catch it, then squealed when he realised our striker would get there first. A little touch, over the keeper's head and in.

Then I missed almost from point blank. :doh:

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Haven't done a Zidane roulette on the pitch yet. Out of three attempts against me though I tackled two of them successfully.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

It actually works better if you've got the strength to hold off the defender. I'm only 65kg so I do better changing direction and unbalancing a defender than just pushing past.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Honestly if you slide it's not much more difficult to cut it back either. Or just turn away and draw the free kick (at the expense of your achilles from the sound of the way you play).

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Puma King supremacy!

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

My last pair of Puma Kings were blue and I absolutely loved them, but after I did my knee I left them in the garage uncleaned and forgot about them, when I started up again in September I found out my mum had binned a pair of very, very mouldy boots about three years ago. :(

I just bought a new astro pair and I'm gonna see how they feel nowadays, but it seems they're only in black now? As I remember when I bought that last pair there were about 8 different colours to pick from.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I give them 3 matches.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

If it's proper astroturf then you want proper astros (or 'turfs' I guess) unless you are certain that firm ground studs are permitted where you're playing. Many places with the 3G stuff or water lubricated astro will not allow you to play with any kind of studs at all. I would imagine playing on sand based astro even with firm ground studs would be very uncomfortable anyway.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

That's exactly the stuff I play on twice a week. At one place it's poorly maintained and mostly a sea of the rubber pellets now. They allow blades. The other one is is the Hearts academy and it's pristine, no studs, blades or anything allowed, only astros or indoors.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

It's actually kind of strange, despite all the astroturf facilities in Edinburgh the shops only have the top end boots with studs. I ended up with Puma Kings but that's what I wanted in the first place. :3:

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

3 touches is great for training. It doesn't just teach you to keep the ball moving as a team, it teaches you to be efficient with it as an individual. If you take four touches between receiving a pass and moving in the direction you want to, that's a whole lot of time where someone can close you down and you haven't had a chance to look up to pick a pass yet. If you can comfortably control the ball and move it where you want it all in one move, you've got all the time you need now to look up and pick someone to pass it to.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Yesterday a shot took a double deflection, from one guy's nuts into mine. Still hurt.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

hughsieblingwish posted:

when people say five a side do they mean futsal?

I can only speak for myself, but in my case no. On sundays I play in a futsal league, which has proper touchlines with kick-ins, allows players to enter the goalkeeper's area and has no limits on how high you can play the ball. It should be played with a size 4 ball as well but for some reason we use a normal one.

On Fridays I play English 5-a-side, which has solid walls so the ball is always in play, and players aren't allowed in the D (while the goalkeeper isn't allowed out either). Again it does differ slightly from the normal rules though since it has slightly enlarged futsal goals instead of the 3 ft high but relatively wide ones that you normally see in 5-a-side.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Depends what kind of walls they are actually. Where I play they're thick wooden boards rather than concrete, and the ball doesn't rebound off them too well so if you try to 1-2 with the wall around a defender the return pass normally just goes straight to him. Stuck in the corner it's a common move rather than crossing though. Since the ball is only ever out of play when someone scores it's a lot more physically rather than technically demanding than futsal which is really just an expression of the traditional English style of football.

In a bizarre twist actually my 11s team trains on a futsal pitch with the short 5-a-side goals so I don't really play either futsal or 5-a-side to the complete rules. The 5-a-side I do play is a massive drain on stamina though, as well as the walls it's also smaller so it's a very tight game, and without the low wide goals to promote placing shots and being unable to enter the D the best shooting strategy is to get as much power as possible whenever you have a clear sight of goal.

The main pull besides the Englishness of it is that without touchlines it's a lot more straightforward to referee so tournaments are easier to set up. I do prefer the futsal though.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

For reference, this is what the fives pitches look like:

And this is our league. We're Links Lions. Yes we have 10 points and 177 goals conceded from 12 games. :(

In fairness we've played no more than 4 games with a proper keeper, at least two of those games we only had 4 players and for a few more we had 5 unfit players with nobody to substitute with, plus we've been playing against the teams in the top half rather than the bottom half. But we still suck.

Scikar fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 19, 2010

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Your two biggest jobs are to prevent any cross or long ball bouncing in the danger area, and preventing the forward you're marking from turning towards the goal whenever he receives it to feet. If you do both of those well you will rarely have any need to slide tackle.

When you do need to, just remember you can only slide straight for the ball when he doesn't have it under control. If he's running onto a through ball and you can poke it out before he gets there by sliding, then do so. If he's got it under close control as he's running the best you can do is basically trap the ball with your shin so he goes over the top of it. If he's close enough to roll it under his foot and you go straight for the ball he'll just roll it away from you and draw the foul.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I don't think anyone's really bothered about getting some bruises and scrapes from a physical game. You shouldn't have to risk torn ligaments and broken bones in amateur football though.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Those top guys beat us 46-2, though we had only 4 players and two of them were goalkeepers. I wasn't actually there so I can't vouch for how skillful they are, but if we're hovering near the bottom and still beat the bottom team by 20 goals it's easy to see how a decent team can score a lot. It's a full hour on a pitch where the ball never goes out of play and they're also a bit smaller than a normal futsal pitch, while the goals are slightly larger. With the ball in defence the better teams can scored from just a one two followe by blasting it at the goal. Then man mark everyone so they can't play it back out.

The proper futsal I play on Sundays with a fairly similar team hasn't seen a match with more than seven goals so that's a bit more sensible.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

PhillyLucky posted:

If someone was still trying to run the score up on me when they were winning by 30 it would probably end in me getting a red card. I couldnt imagine trying to run the score up like that in my league, if I did I'm pretty sure somebody would get hurt. Do the people getting beat like that get offended or is can we just chalk that up to a cultural difference?

There are no refs in that league. Everyone playing knows it's just a casual league and we haven't had any problems at all. That team actually were a bunch of dicks to be honest, the rule is that if a team only has 4 players the other team either lends them a player or only has 4 on the pitch themselves. They did neither, because there's some kind of prize for the best team out of all 5 leagues that they're aiming for. We just emailed the organizers after the match to tell them though so if they do win the prize on goal difference I think it will get taken off them.

At least in our case, we generally just accept that some of those teams are better than us and are going to score a lot of goals. If we can figure out a way of shutting them out over the course of the match then we've got something to use against the next strong team. If they go easy then we learn nothing.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Winning is fun. My futsal team lost 5-4 to a last minute goal against the only team we've beaten all season, and after we peppered their goal with shot after shot somehow not managing to score more. :(

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

If you've already got boots that you like for normal grass I would get the same ones with an astro sole. There's no real technology advancements for the astro sole so it's not like you're missing out on anything, and it's more important that they fit well. For what it's worth the Puma Kings I got about a month ago were worth every one of the relatively few pounds I paid for them, but the inner elastic sock in them which attaches to the tongue pinched the outside of my foot slightly at first, and my old boots used to do the same, so try them in a shop if you've never had a pair before and want some.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

It's nice to get a goal and a win together.

I've also come to the conclusion that the reason I score a lot less than the other core players on the team is because I'm the only who can play an incisive pass so if I get too far forwards we stop getting the ball near their penalty area. All the more reason to work on my dribbling (incidentally I beat 3 players to get my goal today). :)

Although if anyone has any tips for movement and positioning when playing up front that would be helpful. It's obvious that when our 11s team gets running I'm going to be playing attacking midfield most of the time but I'd like to be able to fill in as second striker or winger when necessary. When I'm playing in midfield I never have trouble picking out a run but when I try to make the same runs I just exhaust myself without seeing the ball, any tips on where I might be going wrong?

Scikar fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 5, 2010

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Welp, so much for the cup. Drew 2-2 thanks to a dodgy penalty, drew 3-3 thanks to falling asleep at the back, lost 4-3 to the same and had one of our players injured for the trouble, then lost 5-2 to the eventual winners. We didn't come last in our group though, and those guys won 7-0 in the semis so I think we were unlucky with the draw more than anything. Highlights: successfully nutmegged one team's otherwise solid defender, turned the 5-2 guys' entire team inside out in one run. Low points: completely fluffed the shot afterwards in both cases.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

tbp posted:

If you're playing like a true winger don't try anything fancy. You're not Leo and CR9 so trying to flick and trick in is going to be hard as hell, so just stay a step away from the touchline a lot. 'Winger' is just an offensive oriented wide midfielder at an amateur level, you know? So stick out wide, work on your crossing a lot, learn to cross in different ways (its surprising how many technically decent kids I know can't seem to put the ball on the ground when crossing if the pressure is on) and don't get frustrated easily. That's actually a big one.. anyone in the center is going to have a few options to pass to a lot of the time, and as a winger you're gonna be gunning down a lane a lot for no reason. But when you do get the ball finally if you make your run right and don't panic you'll be in a great position to grab an assist.

Every time I've ever played 'Second Striker' I've played it a lot like CAM. Little less tracking back though.. learn to play with your back to the goal, make sure you're stronger than the guy marking you, jump really high to slip it on to the CF.. oh and work on one-touch passing a lot. With your back to goal you're gonna have a lot of trouble turning sometimes.. a quick sweep to a winger or back to a midfielder really fucks with the defense so have a decent understanding with your CMs, so you can tap it back to them for their through-ball.

Yeah I know what the positions are about. My passing and crossing is absolutely not a problem and I've been working on aggressive dribbling every week so that's really starting to improve, it's how to make runs and find space that I need help with because there isn't an obvious way to train it.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Ivan Cordoba is only 5'8", as long as you're still strong enough to challenge a big target man and play alongside someone who is good in the air you can still get by as a centre back.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I just played an hour in sleet, and then drove back while shivering uncontrollably, soaked to the bone. My compression shirt was not only saturated, it kept freezing and it hurt like hell to move my arms. Fantastic match.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

If strength is your best asset then keep working on the roulette, it's not the move itself but the principle of rolling the defender that's important. If you watch Drogba he's not one for stepovers or elaborate tricks, he just keeps his body between the defender and the ball but positions himself so that he doesn't get stuck with his back to the goal.

To take advantage of other tricks you need acceleration. If you're not quick off the mark then you won't get anywhere regardless of how good you are on the ball. If you do have some pace though then I would learn something like the flip-flap which complements simple stepovers. A stepover itself is worthless without the threat of a different trick, but by learning anything like the flip-flap you've got both that and the stepover to work with which gives you options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Ramagamma posted:

Theres seems to be a shortage of people here opting to be strikers. Is this just my perception? Generally when I play football everyone and their team-mate is running up front trying to get the goals. Seems the majority of goons identify themselves as defenders or midfielders. Is it more a case of if you are excelling at your current position you get lumped up front where you will be more effective.

Most people I know like to get forward in pick up games regardless of their natural position. My 11s team practice sessions keep ending with basically everyone playing up front even though we don't have a single natural striker in the squad, we're having to convert the attack minded midfield players (which is why I was asking about movement earlier).