Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

In the 4 days a week that I play at the moment, only one of the players I play with regularly is left footed, and he's not very good. Which makes me the 11s team left winger at the moment. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Charge them $5 back for a TV rights package.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

You've only got yourselves to blame for that. Simple fact is if they were particularly good at officiating matches they wouldn't be in charge of games at your level, they'd be given actual important matches. Mouthing off at them isn't going to help. Even worse if they do it for free.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

CAMiasm posted:

i do that all the time though. during the first time we played a "real" game i flattened at least 5 people. since then, all the players in the class are afraid to get anywhere near me and openly say so. i'm really not afraid to be aggressive as i have in excess of 6" and 75 lbs on everyone in the class.

he kept talking about looking "professional." i think i must look incredibly raw since i have no training.. the coach hasn't played keeper much at all so he can only give the most rudimentary advice. he did tell me to fist the ball more though.

i'm going to go the library tomorrow to see if they have any books or tapes on goalkeeping. any recommendations?

To be honest it sounds like he's not really sure what's wrong with your game despite the fact he sees room for improvement. It's possible he means you aren't communicating well with your defence though. As the keeper you have the advantage of not needing to turn around to see where everybody on the pitch is, so make use of that awareness. Keep in mind where each of your defenders are and where the biggest attacking threats are, and whenever one of your defenders has the ball find a pass for him to make in case he comes under pressure.

The reason keepers end up dealing with terrible backpasses is because the defender on the ball comes under pressure without having time to pick the pass he wants to make. Being able to look around and find a free teammate while simulataneously keeping hold of the ball while under pressure is not an easy skill and not one defenders typically possess - so make sure he doesn't panic by picking a pass out for him, whether it's out wide or to yourself you are in the best position to decide, so make the decision!

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Over the course of this thread you've done a lot to convince me that you are in fact Emile Ivanhoe Heskey.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Tendinitis sucks. :(

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

If you at least mentioned what happened in the tackle (i.e. was it more of a bang or did you twist it) and exactly where the pain and swelling is you might have a chance. There are many different ways you can injure your knee and the prognosis is different for all of them.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

the posted:

The only part about it that upsets me is that I've attended every game, and I feel like I give 100%. In an adult C-level league, that should count for more than a player's skill. Some of our better players have attended less than 50% of our games, and they don't appear to be cut from the team. In some ways I'm hopeful that irony will strike and they'll end up being short for the coming games.

Can't disagree with you on this. The founding principle of the 11s team I've set up with a couple of friends is that if you fail to turn up for training and don't have a decent excuse you aren't playing on matchday regardless of how good you are. It's ridiculous how many players get away with doing exactly that just by being naturally talented, and then the manager wonders why he never has any substitutes and the team doesn't seem to gel together.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Uncle Jam posted:

Do you guys have food you eat/don't eat on the day of a game? For example I have hydration issues if i drink coffee at some point in the day.

Caffeine dehydrates you so yes, like alcohol it's probably best avoided before playing, but if you're drinking plenty of water beforehand as well you might get away with it. Remember though, if you get dehydrated some time before the match it will be a full day before you're properly rehydrated again so you won't be performing at 100% if you have several cups of coffee during the day and then drink a litre of water before you go out to football.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Played my first game of 7 a side tonight. It was completely disorganised and we had no natural defenders, so when we were losing 4-1 with less than 10 minutes to go I wasn't too surprised. Still felt bad scoring an own goal though. :(

On the plus side, I scored the winning penalty in the bonus point shootout at the end of the match, so that's not so bad. :smug:

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Never seen it before but there's a penalty shootout at the end of each match and the winner gets 1 point. So we played terribly and lost the match but thanks to our keeper being awesome we're still off the mark in the league.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

There's good technique guidelines for most things a keeper does (dive forwards rather than backwards, always get your body behind the ball when possible etc) but beyond positioning for one on ones the actual techniqie varies from keeper to keeper. Schmeichel for instance used to keep his legs quite wide apart and then sat down if the striker hit it low to avoid being nutmegged.

Honestly the striker is always favourite 1v1 so as long as you don't make it easy for him you'll get more from focusing on the rest of your game. It's a lot easier to learn to judge when to rush out than it is for an amateur striker to develop a perfect first touch that puts him through without letting it get too far away from himself, so by working on that you can avoid having to make many 1v1 saves altogther.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

My new 11 a side team, which I am a founder member and player-manager of, won our first game today 7-0. I scored a solo goal and got 2 assists.

:smug::smug::smug:

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Lost 6-5 in 11s when we were 5-4 up with 2 minutes to go. :(

Also, Scottish players are cunts. I've yet to see a Scot who didn't argue with the ref over every single decision through the entire match. The team yesterday appealed every single time the ball went out of play, every time any of their players got tackled, every time someone chested the ball down, every single time one of our players won a header, every time anyone made a through pass, it was ridiculous. Also standing over the ball every time we had a free kick and blocking off our keeper every time he tried to kick the ball out of his hands (despite repeated warnings).

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

It did eventually stop when he took a kick anyway, made sure to follow through and we got the resulting free kick. :)

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

hughsieblingwish posted:

what's with everyone getting injured so badly all the time, i play two or three times a week and only come up with bruises.

Pretty much all I've had is the tendinitis from playing 5 days a week for too long. Back down to 2 or 3 games now and I'm fine. All I've managed besides that is occasionally rolling an ankle which is sore for a couple of days and that's it. I'm not exactly a fearless, tough tackling centre back though.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Lost 11-1. :(

All but one of my first choice defenders were missing due to either work or injury, including the first choice keeper and all three backup keepers. Meanwhile every player I tell to play as a holding midfielder seems to interpret it as "get forward as often as you like and don't worry about tracking back". The only person the defence was happy with at doing it was me, and I'm 67kg and 5'10" so even though I was at least positioned well I couldn't do a great deal.

More Scottish cuntery: a striker broke through our defence and was tripped cynically. Definitely a yellow and nobody argued with it, but he went absolutely ballistic and threatened to kill our defender over it, for which he was also booked. Less than five minutes later I beat one guy, move into space and he just swings and takes my legs out from under me, from behind. The ref blows his whistle for an obvious free kick and Mr oval office starts whinging that there was nothing wrong with the challenge.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I've become de facto coach now as well as manager for my team, but to be honest I haven't had tried many drills so far. Obviously coaching under 12s is a bit different from seniors as well.

We tried a new drill out last week that someone brought along which was a good pass and move exercise. You need two triangles set out like so:

code:
E     F

D

C

A     B
Pick one person to stand at each of B, C, D and E. Split everyone else in two and line them up at A and F. Then, first one at A passes to C, and runs around the outside of B. C passes to B and B plays a through ball to A as he runs towards F. A now plays a one-two with D, and finally passes to F and rejoins the queue. It's mirrored so F should do the same thing, pass to D, recieve a through ball from E, one-two with C then pass to A and join the queue. C and D need to be receiving the ball from different directions (but they should have plenty of time) so make sure that A and F both start at the same time each round, and get people to always call out both passing the ball and requesting it. There's only two balls though so it shouldn't be too crazy once people have been through once and gotten the hang of it.

Finally for shooting I've done the easy direct shot drill from the Nike website which was pretty much an instant improvement for everyone in the squad. Gonna try the other versions and see how they turn out. With under 12s it'd make sense to just get them to hit the target rather than aim for the corners but the earlier they learn correct technique the better (make sure they follow through, don't lean back, use both arms for balance).

After that I normally alternate each week between a normal practice game and limiting everyone to three touches. Under 12s would probably struggle with a three touch game but without it games often turn into a process of pass to best player -> best player dribbles through and tries to score.

I've got a couple of other new ones to try out on Thursday, I'll let you know how they turn out.

Lastly, thinking back to when I was young and things I know now that I wish someone had told me earlier, definitely teach them the roles of individual positions. I often played at fullback when I was young but all I knew positionally was to stand in line and to the right of the centre backs, and try to tackle the opposition winger when he came towards me. Nobody ever explained that I could move further up the pitch to deny him space or to move into it myself. Admittedly that's probably more relevant to older kids but it does make a difference when you at least have basic instructions for what do when your team has the ball and then what to do if you lose it.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Oh Em Gee posted:

Wait, Americans still use SWEEPERS in high school? Tactically that's a bit outdated.

Pretty sure 3-5-2 is the staple at youth level in Germany too. Chile, New Zealand and Mexico are all going to the World Cup with a back 3 and Greece use it too when appropriate. It's only outdated against single strikers and a wide 4-3-3 but at youth level where 4-4-2 with a big guy little guy front pairing predominates (especially in England) it works fine, and there are plenty of examples in Serie A too. Not sure if German youth football has arrived at that to respond to 4-4-2 or just because people want to emulate Beckenbauer and Matthäus though.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I have incredibly thick big toenails that are impossible to cut right back to the skin and grow back within an hour, so I can see myself amputating someone's leg in beach football (or at least could until somebody caught me with his studs in a late challenge and one of them came off).

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Played up front for the first time in a 4-1 loss yesterday. Typically, the first time I decide to stop using something too complicated and just play a basic 4-4-2, the other team plays 4-3-3 and dominates the centre midfield. I managed two breakaways but in one I dragged the shot and in the other I put a low cross in that my strike partner completely missed. I also discovered that even if you have at least a yard of pace over the centre back who is twice your weight, if the grass is too long the ball won't travel and he'll still catch you up and put a crunching slide tackle in that sends you flying. :(

At least afterwards the other striker (who did score, his first goal in 7 games) said I was the best second striker he's played with so far so I think we'll be sticking with it.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Also don't neglect distribution. You need to be able to clear the halfway line with your goal kicks - it's probably preferable to play it short to a fullback but if you don't have the threat of a long kick the opposition will push up and the short pass won't be an option. And a good accurate throw is a massive asset if you manage to catch a corner and open up an instant counter.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

The indoor sole is really meant for wooden gym floors rather than astro. Then there's actual astro or HG (hard ground) soles which I believe are intended for sand based astro rather than modern 3G but work quite well and are a better choice than indoor. Then there's AG (artificial ground) which is made specifically for 3G (the artificial stuff with rubber pellets) but not as common as astro soles, and FG (firm ground) which is usually the designation for blades and works on 3G but in some places you're not allowed to use them. Finally soft ground is usually 6 metal tipped studs, wouldn't be permitted on 3G and would kill your feet if you did anyway.

That's indoor, astro, AG, FG and SG in order.

Either way, even in astro and indoor soles I've only seen the cheap versions of the Nike boots (in the 360's case they go Libretto, Trequartista, Maestri in ascending order) and at that point you just get the styling rather than the technology, which is of questionable benefit anyway. If there is a difference then the 360's supposedly are good for your first touch while the Mercurial line are Nike's lightest boots.

At the end of the day if all you want is a cheap pair I would ignore all the styling and branding and just buy anything with an astro sole that fits well and feels comfortable, and hopefully is also on sale.

Scikar fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 29, 2010

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

losty posted:

euroboy, I was reading back through the thread and saw your post about breaking a bone in your ankle.

I pretty much did this exactly back in mid April. I was playing a pickup game of football on a terrible field that we shouldn't have been playing on. I stepped in a hole and thought I just rolled my ankle but turned out I broke some small bone.

Now a bit over 2 months later I'm starting to feel comfortable playing again, but I'm still scared to death of breaking it again as it still hurts when I make cuts. Do you (or anyone) have any advice on how to ease back into the game after this injury? And do you use any kind of ankle wrap or brace when you play? One of my friends has a brace he uses for rugby but it looks too bulky.

I don't have direct experience but I think braces and the like are more for supporting damaged/weakened ligaments rather than bones. In my opinion if it still hurts it's likely not fully healed and I'd give it another two weeks at least, but once it is fully healed you shouldn't need to brace or strap it.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Has anyone had any experience selling boots on ebay? I'm not normally one to drop £100 on a pair of boots as I mentioned above but my mum wanted to get me a birthday present and I needed a pair for firm ground so I figured I'd splash out a bit and got a pair of CTR360 Maestris. Size 10 were too big, size 9 were slightly too small but I couldn't find anywhere, online or off selling them in a 9.5 so I assumed they just weren't available.

Lo and behold, one blister later and I've now found them in a non-foot-crushing size but obviously I can't send these back after playing in them a couple of times. If they were leather I could probably get away with it but apparently the synthetic stuff they used for these doesn't stretch so it seems like my best bet is to flog them on ebay and start over.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Voodoo posted:

I have somewhat of a specific tactic question.

I play in a outdoors, 11 a side, co-ed league during the week. The only non-standard rule is no slide tackling, but play is still a bit rough. My team plays a 4-3-3, and we're really bad. I've been playing sweeper pretty much exclusively since nobody else wants to play defense (thus I get a lot of play time). And while I'm decent enough in one-on-one and break-away situations, I have trouble figuring out what to do in two-on-one situations. Generally it happens because we have our weakest girls defending on the outside, so if they get beat by a wing it becomes wing+striker vs sweeper.

I'm pretty sure the proper play is for me (sweeper) to step up and attack the wing, and have a 2nd defender move into position behind me near the striker. But what if that doesn't happen? Should I just attack and hope for the best? Or should I try and posistion myself as best as possible to make a play on the pass...without giving up an easy shot (probably impossible). I'm trying to brainstorm some ideas.

Any other sweeper-related tips would be greatly appreciated. :)

In any situation where you are outnumbered as a defender, your objective is to delay the shot for as long as possible to give your teammates time to track back. Don't just charge out to the winger and leave the guy in the middle unmarked - if you're in the centre the only thing the winger can do unpressured is to get a cross in, and you should have a good chance of beating the striker to that.

The ideal distance away from the winger is just far enough that he can't kick the ball ahead of himself and sprint. If he tries to do that you get to the ball first and clear it, so he's forced to dribble slower towards you and try to get you to commit and leave an opening. Keeping that situation going for as long as possible is the best you can do without the attackers making a mistake, and hopefully gives enough time for your fullback or a midfielder to help you out. If you're doing that and your team aren't chasing back to help then they need a bollocking.

Basically what keeper said - the important thing above all else is not to commit too early. Sometimes you'll get flak from your teammates for not closing down early enough but I can tell you as an attacking midfielder it's much easier to use the opening created by you committing yourself than it is to create an opening myself if your positioning is good.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

For the third game running I've been the most fouled player on the pitch, and after today I'm pretty sure I've got a torn meniscus. gently caress.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I moved back home, turned out for the local village team. The average level is better than my Edinburgh team and yet I thought I stood out as one of the better players. Afterwards I found out why - hardly any of them are even 18, the oldest player besides me is 21 and I'm 24. I feel old.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

If pace is your thing then obviously light ones can be a benefit. Even without that I know plenty of players who don't use pace much and still just wear tiny, thin slip-in ones because they find bigger pads uncomfortable. Personally I'm pretty soft and I find even in less rough games I get the odd knock on my ankle which at least puts me off for a while, so I have pads with a hard outer plate and ankle guards. The amount of paint that has been scraped off them suggests they were a wise purchase, but then I was playing in Scotland.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

What on earth league are you in that's serious enough to have promotion/relegation? Are you languishing in step 27 of the English football pyramid or something? Every league I've played in, for any sport in the states, can barely figure out what the score of the game is, much less handle something so complicated.

Your typical English amateur team isn't actually on the pyramid, there are certainly some amateur teams that are but most are in independent county leagues, especially Sunday leagues. That said, the Sunday league my current team is in has 3 divisions on its own and I'm in a tiny village in North Yorkshire.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Umbriago posted:

Which village, out of curiosity? I've just graduated from the University of York and spent my last couple years there working for North Yorkshire Police.

Scorton, it's about 5 minutes south of Scotch Corner, York is normally about 45 minutes when there aren't roadworks on the A1. I was planning to be in Edinburgh but things didn't work out so I'm back home, but I've just got a job in Middlesbrough so I'm in the region for at least the next year or so.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Umbriago posted:

I think this might reveal part of the problem: I should hang a little farther back to get ahead of players. If they can get a pass away it's either because they've outrun me (nothing I can do about that other than take up better positions), or because I've put my foot in and they've been able to knock the ball past me -- in which case there's not too much I can do, unless I just don't try to win the ball at all.

Good defending isn't always about winning the ball back. Just get in his way and slow him down so your team mates can get back and support you. Running with the ball under close control at speed is a difficult skill and most players will kick the ball further ahead of themselves as they speed up. This means there's a limit where if he goes any quicker you will get to the ball and clear it before he can touch it again. If he passes there is also a delay while the other player receives the ball and controls it, if you're well positioned then by the time he's ready to take a shot you can be in position to block it and they've made no progress. If you position yourself well while your teammates get back you can really make life difficult for the attackers, but if you commit yourself to the challenge you're only making their lives easier.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Yeah, in 5s I lost count of the number of times I had to tell my teammates to play the pass while it's on. I would move into space and not get the ball, only to have to it wildly booted in my direction 5 seconds later when I'm marked because the player in possession was finally closed down and didn't have a good option any more. If you've got the technical skills to take somebody on and you're not the last man then go for it because that's a good first step to gaining a man advantage in an attack in 5s, but if you don't meet those criteria then concentrate on getting the ball quickly to someone who does and then supporting them rather than making life difficult for yourself.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I would get firm ground boots even if you're not likely to use them over winter. They're fine if it's damp, you only really need to switch when the ground is actually muddy, but playing in soft ground boots when it's too dry is a good way to both give yourself blisters and risk getting an injury when your foot is planted during a tackle. I'd rather my boots gave way than my ankle ligaments.

As for the actual boots themselves, if you're working to a budget and don't care about who wears what boots or questionable technological advances then your only criteria really is comfort, so like Shrapnac says just get the most comfortable pair you can find.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I have a pair of CTR360 Maestris and I can't say they're particularly comfortable. The memory foam pads are on the outside of the boot and the instep but everything else is very thin, the tongue in particular is just 2-3mm of the synthetic material and it's aligned to run right down your second metatarsal so getting stood on is particularly bad as you have almost no protection, but the all round fit isn't great either. They look pretty good but I don't see any reason to take them over the T90 series.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Lost 4-2 today. If we'd had linesmen we would have won 5-3, three times I broke the offside trap, my first touch didn't let me down and then the ref blew for offside, even though with the other team's attacks he was content to play on when they just hung around the 18 yard box. Would be nice to get just one goal. :(

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I got my first goal for this club last week. Couldn't have possibly scored it from any closer. Our forward receives the ball from a throw in on the wing. Takes too long to get the cross in so he gets stuck at the corner flag with his back to goal. He decides to flick the ball up and hoof it backwards over his head. As it happens it ends up heading right up and then back down just under the crossbar. So I simply stand under it, the goalkeeper tries to jump and tap it over the bar but he jumps into me, doesn't get enough height, and taps it straight down onto the line where I stick my foot out.

Today I got man of the match for playing at the other end of the pitch in defensive midfield. It's frustrating when I can't play my preferred position because our midfielders have no understanding of how to defend at all. When you're over 6 foot tall, built like a brick shithouse, and much better at kicking people than you are a ball, shouldn't it be embarrassing when a striker gets pulled back to cover you and prevents your team from conceding without giving away a single free kick? I even flattened their biggest midfielder when I outjumped him to a header and I'm not even nearly 6 foot. Still not sure how that happened.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I really like the feel of the Nike ones but I have to be honest, the last 4 I've had all developed slow punctures within a few months and none of them looked like making a full season. That said my team did play on a pitch with thorny bushes behind one of the goals. I think I'd still rather by a new ball every 6 weeks than play with a rock hard headbusting Mitre ball though (yes I am soft).

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I played against a back 3 a couple of weeks ago, and I used it myself whenever possible while I was managing. A flat four just causes you no end of grief when a) there's no linesman so the offside trap is unreliable and b) your fullbacks don't understand their position well enough to cover the centre backs. Now that I'm back in England though that one back 3 I went up against is the only one I've seen at all so far. Shame my team's manager believes in nothing but rigid 4-4-2 despite the fact we have the laziest midfield I've ever seen...

e: I suppose if you're playing somewhere where managers are more adventurous and you can't guarantee you'll always face 2 up top you might not always have the option of a back 3, if say 4-3-3 is the most common in your league. I've been told that at amateur level everyone in Germany plays 3-5-2 and they all balance each other out, but I doubt there are many in the UK who understand the concept.

Scikar fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Match tomorrow not cancelled yet despite snow, as the ref wants to inspect it to decide if 6 inches of snow is going to be a problem. :v: