Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

I'll show you and your massive chebs the time of your lives you sexy fuck

Shmoses posted:

:words:

In a similar vein there was a extremely lovely team in my local league when I was a kid. Basically full of kids who were too small or crap to get into decent teams. They frequently lost 15-20 nil. Whenever we played them all of my teammates would just constantly push forward and try to score, the formation would become 1-1-8 and the standard would just suck. I would hold my position in defence and as a result I think I was the only person in the whole league that didn't actually put a goal past them. I would've preferred winning 1-0 with proper play than playing like that poo poo for 80 minutes and winning 15-0.

These days me and a few friends just play heads up against the local kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

fordyce posted:

Can anyone claim to have accidentally kicked a better player than Ashley Young? Because I was once subbed on against his team at school, and the only thing I managed was to twat him right on the ankle as he did a step-over.

(I only know it's him because he scored a hat-trick while I was supposed to be marking him)

Did you manage to kick Lewis Hamilton while you were at it too?

quote:

He was also a more-than-useful footballer at John Henry Newman School in Stevenage and played in the same team there as Ashley Young, the England under-21 midfielder who joined Aston Villa from Watford in January for £9.65m. 'I was quicker than Ashley Young, stronger than him, so I had that with me. But he was very skilled and very neat and would dribble the ball round people very nicely. I was very powerful in the team, I was always a midfielder and in my team I was the fittest by far because of my racing and the training I did. I'd run up and down and up and down and if someone tackled me I'd get them back. I'd always get them back because I never gave up, whereas a lot of people would get tackled then just leave it for the next stage of the game. I'd never let that happen.'

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

Fat Turkey posted:

If this happens in London and someone needs a fullback, I'd be interested.

Shotgun right back in London. Normally I just kick the local kids down the park but kicking goons? Sign me the gently caress up.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

fordyce posted:

Where your foot ends up is where the ball ends up.

Quoting PE teachers who were probably paedos is so lame.

God, I'm so sick of retrieving my feet from row z of the stands :(

But yeah practice like a motherfucker. Having as many balls as you can get your hands on helps. After a shot think about the positioning of your feet, how you moved you leg, the follow through etc. Then try to recreate that and be consistent between shots.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

Completely hosed up up AdiNovas after less than 10 kickabouts down the park, now I look like a hobo when I play hockey in them.

Hockey is for girls, literally. They're the only reason I play

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

They're stopped putting the lights on at the local park pitches. Good job though as my knees have gone to poo poo and there's only some many painkillers I can take.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

the posted:

I guess I need to reevaluate the pricing then. Do quality gloves really cost that much? I've gone through two pairs in two seasons. They just deteriorate so fast.

The poor man pays twice. Having 2 identical pairs to rotate through would help a tiny bit if you play fairly regularly.

And yes take them out of your bag after use.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

Chivas Aribas! posted:

Has anyone had any luck with the Nike CTR 360s? I'm split between those and the Mercurial Vapors.

What irks me is the difference in stud patterns. But it depends what position you play really and what type of playing style best suits you.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

Chivas Aribas! posted:

How many times have you been red carded in a casual five a side game on a Wednesday night? ~10?

Never got a card in all my years as a defender :smug:

Although I did always go in hard on the FNG at their first training session, in hindsight that was very cuntish.

Got a yellow card (10 minute sin bin) in a hockey match for giving a guy cramp once. That was a bit poo poo.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

Just remembered when I was a kid and we were battering this crap side from outside of Reading. About 30 minutes in their goalkeeper stormed off the pitch because of how absolutely poo poo his defenders were.

Nobody wanted to take his place so in the end I think they subbed in some kid that was just there watching. Felt really bad for him.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

the posted:

Whelp, my indoor team is just atrocious. We probably have about 3, maybe 4, good players on the entire squad. And by good I mean "capable of sprinting and/or running for more than 30 seconds."

The problem is that most of the big guys end up wanting to play defender, but they're too slow for the forwards and get beaten on every ball. We can't put them up front, because they're too slow and not agile enough to move the ball forward. It's a lose/lose.

Get them defending deep, like in the penalty area deep. 2 slow guys in the middle. This only works if you've got awesomely quick and fit left/right backs. Either get them to channel the attacks wide or down the middle depending on how good the other team is at poo poo like 1-on-1 or crossing. Mind you I'm talking from 11-a-side view point here.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

the posted:

I feel awful for our goalie because he is probably the best goalkeeper I've ever played with. He's at least collegiate-level quality. And we've lost 12-2 and 8-2 in the past two games because of unmarked players getting passes directly in front of the box.

Good goalies are worth their weight in gold. I hated playing in a 5-a-side goal. So whenever my team did those tournaments I bagged a position on the wing. Was hilarious that I was the only decent player on our 3rd 5-a-side team yet we could beat our 1s and 2s easy. We just got beaten by the loving extra rounds we had to play to get into a decent cup.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

the posted:

Yeah, I mean, outdoor this wouldn't be an issue. But when you've got 5 a side, what can you do?

Even when we have, say, one of the slow guys as the left defender, and myself as the right defender, he ends up getting beat, giving a breakaway on the left side. I have to go for the ball, leaving my man open. The person gets off a pass to the man I had to leave open, and ... well there you have it.

Hmmm. Ok defend proper backs to the wall. Balls deep. You need one guy to absolutely throw himself at everything that comes anywhere near the goal. I used to do this against the kids down the park. Slide tackles, diving blocks and generally getting hosed up are things you gotta deal with, but I never lost a match and they only ever managed fluky goals. My astros bear the scars of a million lunge blocks.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

I play with a pair of Adidas shinpads older than some of you posters. They have useless ankle protectors as the little plastic bits have hosed off from where they should be. Need a new pair for hockey and another new pair for football :negative:

Spent ages designing a sweet NikeID pair of boots. Really tempted...

TinkerBell posted:

I'm on a pitch 6-7 times a week so I go through boots like it's going out of style, specially since most of these sessions are on turf. They last about 6 months average before I need to replace them.

You need 3 pairs playing this often. And seriously wearing out boots on grass? Rotate pairs, keep them clean, don't walk along concrete wearing them and get some decent insoles. Should last ages.

the posted:

Well, I'd love to but slide tackling and board checking will land you quickly in the books at this facility.

Don't check people. But pop out an amazing slide tackle in the first few minutes and put them in their place.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

the posted:

No I mean that slide tackling is explicitly against the rules.

That's gay as hell.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

the posted:

Outdoor season is starting up. I need some gear to make sure I don't rip all the skin off my legs when I slide tackle. Something like this. Recommendations?

50 bux?! Just HTFU hth.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

RedPaddy posted:

Other team were muppets as well, their striker spooned an absolute sitter from 3 yards out early on and tried to claim it as a corner. I was right behind him and neither me or the keeper got a touch, he just sliced the ball off into the snow. Not a big deal, but he got really offended when we took the goal kick and his team started muttering about cheating like we were loving Leeds or something. And then later in the game they score when a sub who was apparently just subbed on runs onto the pitch to intercept a throw and score. When the game was cancelled they were really cocky about it, saying that next week it'd be 4 - 0 even if we cheated again. I don't give a poo poo but it was just pathetic they got that bad tempered over a phantom corner, in a five a side game. Hopefully we'll have some more first teamers back next week to deal with what is apparently now a Grudge Match

loving hate this poo poo. When I played there was nothing like this at all. Maybe a bit of a grudge between local rivals and friendly digs at ex-teammates but never mouthing off at poo poo.

Got renewed ammo for the grudge against Witham though last weekend, bloody idiots.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

Humuhumu posted:

What's a good boot for playing on artificial turf?

I have some indoor/outdoor Adidas Mundial but they're more like running shoes, also have regular Nike boots with studs/cleats.

Was going to ask this for Astros.

Might just have to suck it up and bag a pair of these http://www.barringtonsports.com/products/2/style/asics_gel_platinum_le_hockey_shoes_2009/9281/view and hope my friends don't suddenly want me to play 5-a-side any time soon.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

What the gently caress are you guys talking about when you say cleats and turfs. Are you saying studs versus astros?

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

calcio posted:

All I play with now is either turf or hard ground. All the fields around here have been converted over to next/new turf.

Click here for the full 526x640 image.

Ok. I call these

Blades
Studs
Hard ground
Astros
Indoor

Thinking about it, I've never owned a pair of blades or hard ground boots. Used to have to replace studs like nobody's business though.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

Lazlow posted:

Are the men allowed as many touches as they want in your indoor coed league? Mine only allows three touches for the guys but no limit for the girls. I don't know if I like it. It encourages a fast game, and our passing has definitely improved, but when you get stuck you're hosed.

Actually played a bit of 3 touch hockey last night with the 1s and 2s (loving hell they're good). The one thing about it when playing as a defender is the sheer difference in tactics. The player you're marking receives the ball and takes one more touch, they then have to pass (or shoot, but a simple block works) so you either stick tight and wait for the pass and cut it out or drop onto the players around them so they don't have the option. Personally I hate it as it changes the dynamics of the game too much and I've been told I used to panic on the ball so I slowed right down.

Playing down the park though, 3 touches and you're at the other goal, the pitches are minuscule :negative:

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

the posted:

How do I play a striker in outdoor?

Are you fast?

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

Didn't get time to warmup today :negative:

Legs are loving killing like a bitch. Always warmup, always.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

tbp posted:

I got kneed in the calf and almost cried my cramp was so bad I'm also A Gigantic Pussy

Got absolutely taken out today. Thank gently caress the astro I was playing on was bouncy as gently caress. Would've hosed my knee seven ways to Sunday on my home pitch. Manned up and didn't show any pain when it happened... until I sat in a hot bath. Hip is also killing. Refs never give any cards for obvious fouls and infractions just bullshit stuff like me kicking the ball back to where the original offence was. wtf?

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

tbp posted:

What position do you play?

Left back, always left back. Except for kick abouts down the park when my mate goes left and I go right. Left footed wanker stealing my position :argh:

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

tbp posted:

I played right back for like two games once. I hated the gently caress out of fullback. Its so much about effort, and you could honestly just gently caress about and never overlap and poo poo and thats literally what I did. Sweeper/CAM here..

Depends really. 5-a-side is a piece of piss generally. But on a full sized pitch I'd stick p. deep and only go on a run very rarely. Only scored 5 goals in 6ish seasons (one or two were as GK) when I was a kid.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

tbp posted:

gently caress that I'm just never playing fullback haha. I like CAM to much now, because i get to pretend to be Ronaldinho.

Better not play me then, I will attempt to kill you within the first 5 minutes with an industrial tackle.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

Shrapnac posted:

I literally want to kill myself if I have to play in the middle of the field and one of our regular center backs has been hurt most of the season so I've been playing there. Hate hate hate.

Get a ringer in? Hell we had a brand new striker the other day. He scored a hat-trick.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

Shrapnac posted:

Doesn't work like that. Everyone in our league is registered and we have to present a player pass before every match. You can't just bring in random dudes. There are even rules about not being eligible for the amateur leagues if you've played professionally in the past 3 years and stuff like that.

:ssh: We have to be registered too. Nobody really checks club membership though. And it kinda makes the point moot if you get 1st team players dropping into 4th teams.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

brapbrapbrap posted:

It's all gone off in my neck of the woods. My football team has a semi-final tomorrow night in a proper stadium and everything, and the team went up today. We have a squad of 18 so 2 people were going to miss out altogether and 2 wouldn't get on from the bench.

The gaffer put the team up on Facebook and it's gone nuts - two players are threatening to leave on the basis that they're on the bench, and one player who lives with me is in the process of moving his stuff out of our house after being left out of the squad, in possibly the biggest overreaction of all time. The whole team has got involved in bitch-fighting and all sorts of gayness, the manager has been told that a significant part of the squad think he's a poo poo manager (I tried to explain to him that every player he ever leaves out of the first eleven thinks he's a poo poo manager for a while, didn't make much difference) and he's now on the verge of refusing to select one player who was in the team.

I'm just sitting back watching it all unfold and trying to be positive and calm people down but it's getting ridiculous now.

gently caress that. It's not the final.

Related, my 5s hockey team needed a win and some favourable results in the league to gain promotion this weekend. I turned up early, brought the goalie kit etc. Turns out though one player turned up randomly and wanted to play. League rules meant I then couldn't play as I was playing a 4s match later and we couldn't have any subs as a result. After 5 minutes on the pitch I'm forced to leave.

We're left with the worst defence possible and we lose 3-2 to a team that's only won once this season. Having to give the half time team talk was a bit of a bitter pill to swallow too. But gently caress it, it's not life or death.

Hope everybody comes to their senses. There will be other matches. You will get your shot. Also, love managers, no matter what. They complain? They try managing a squad of what seems like giant manbabies. Good luck brapx3

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

luvd posted:

If he can't do the roulette he has zero chance of being able to do the flip flap.

e - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/skills/default.stm

just watch some of those

Flip flap is a million times easier than the roulette.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

Lazlow posted:

Stretch like a motherfucker.

http://www.physioroom.com/prevention/stretching1.php

Don't forget to cool down too.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

Had a decent kickabout today. Only trouble was the school was shut so any balls going over the fence into the school grounds meant climbing over a lot. Was the only person running my arse off and throwing myself at shots. Rolled my ankle getting a block in and stupidly played on anyway. Can hardly walk now :(

Still it was awesome. I loving love football :woop:

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

the posted:

:smithicide:

E-mail from the same captain after last game (that I attended):

:irony:
[/quote]

Ouch.

I'm not looking forward to this hockey summer league. Trying to get 12 friends together for a 6-a-side (9 man team 3-4 reserves) football is hard enough. Trying to get over 60 players together on different days is going to be impossible.

Also, my ankle is still sore after 2 weeks.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

Shrapnac posted:

I always chew gum when I play but it's sugarfree which might make a difference.

I sometimes chew Airwaves or similar, but the last time I did that the ref said gum was banned on the astro :(

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

Pr0phecy posted:

Anyone have any direct firsthand experience with plyometrics? Has it drastically improved your acceleration?

A tiny bit. At least I'm back up to speed after a knee injury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

Try 3-2-3-2. It'll blow your mind.