Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

I did my knees a while ago, so indoor during the winter is totally out cause then I'm in pain the next day. During the summer I just mostly play pick-up games once or twice a week with some friends against whoever's around at the park.

Most of the time I play as a sort of defensive midfielder, cause I can't run that fast and my dribbling is mostly awful, but my positioning and distribution are okay. I take waaay too long on the ball to play against anyone that knows what he's about, though.

If there's any Toronto-based goons that fancy a kick-around now that the weather's starting to get nice, I'll happily oblige.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Question: what do you do when the best part of your game is long balls/crosses and dead balls, but you've got no pace and can't dribble worth a drat?

Oh god, I just realised. I'm a crap version of Becks.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Chuggo posted:

You learn to tackle and play DM.

That's where I usually end up playing because my positioning is usually fairly decent, but my tackling is average at best.

edit: actually, I take that back, it's just clumsy. Average is way too good a description of it.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

harperdc posted:

that just makes you a sunday league version of Andrea Pirlo then - great positioning, deadly free kick. Maybe take those free kick skills and also take some pops from distance too?

I'm pretty bad at long-range shots, actually. My free-kicks are usually pretty good because I get a lot of height and curl on them, but not a ton of pace - I can't really rocket it.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Well, came in on my roommate's team as a ringer to play GK, and for a first competitive game playing there it wasn't bad. We won 3-2, but the only real fuckup I made was when I played it too short, thinking that the defender was going to run onto it, and he didn't, gave away an easy goal.

Anyways, what I wanted to ask was, do you guys have any recommendations for decent gloves/glove care? I've got a pair of cheapo ones, but they haven't got any finger-bracing and the palms are pretty messed.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

CAMiasm posted:

i dropped $130 on a pair of uhlsport gloves at the local soccer shop. they're sweet. they have removable finger protection. i personally don't like finger protection, so i leave them out.

the difference between the $60 adidas ones and the $130 uhlsport ones is night and day. it's really worth it if you're going to play a lot and take care of them.

as far as maintenance goes, there are a few simple things that can improve the effectiveness and durability of your gloves.

-make sure to wet them before use. i don't mean sopping wet. i mean put an ounce or so of water into each palm and rub it all over the latex. it's been hot lately, so i've been wetting them at half time. i sometimes even do it during the game after a foul or something if necessary. you'll get a feel for when you need to wet them.

-wash them after each use. run the faucet to lukewarm, get them sopping wet, take a spritz of handsoap, and rub all the dirt off. they should look "like new" afterward. gently ring them out; be careful not to rip the stitching.

-during play, get up without using your hands. not only will this spare your gloves, but it'll make your hands available to make saves.

i hope this helped.

ps: be sure to check out this site. great stuff on there!!!

http://www.jbgoalkeeping.com/

Awesome resource/tips mate, cheers.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Riven posted:

I'm thinking once my ankle heals up I'm gonna go to some of the indoor soccer places around here and ask about joining a team. I'll probably be looking to play keeper. Can anyone direct me to some good websites for training tips, play tips, etc?

CAMiasm posted some good tips on the last page here.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Dell_Zincht posted:

Don't wear knee pads. Not only will you look like a total moron, but ideally you shouldn't be landing on your knees much in goal anyway. I almost never have bruises on my knees after a game, it's usually my hips and my thighs that take the most damage.

Positioning is key, make sure when you're off your line that you know where the goalposts are at all times, there's nothing worse than being caught in no-man's land.

Also prepare to scream at your defenders. A lot.

If you're playing on artificial turf you absolutely want to wear them though, that poo poo will cut your legs up if you're making dives.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Alctel posted:

yeah for reals

that stuff with the little rubber bits gives you some EVIL burns which take weeks to heal since they are burns, not grazes

^^^ Yep this exactly. Dell, you probably play on a different type of turf?

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Dell_Zincht posted:

Nope, I play on the turf with the little rubber bits as well. Although it has to be said, I wear tracksuit pants and not shorts, so I am a little bit more protected.

Honestly though, I've never seen a goalkeeper wearing knee pads.

Yeah, track pants or anything like that is fine tbh, but if you're playing in 25-30 degree weather you don't want to be wearing those. Most people here don't have the long UnderArmour style stuff that can keep you cool while being long enough to protect your legs hence knee pads are pretty common for keepers.

edit: maybe we are just soft though

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

nervana posted:

what kind of kneepads do u guys use? links?

Our regular keeper wears volleyball pads. I normally wear knee supports so if I sub in at keeper those usually are alright. You don't need anything super heavy or padded, just something that will cover your knees to prevent those burns.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

I've found that the best solution to that is to either stick them up front so they don't have to track back or yell at them. A lot.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

iajanus posted:

I've always played since I was little as goalie, and broke (yet more) fingers with one game to go this year so got shunted into leftwing/striker for the final game. Got two goals, one from the spot in the last minute (with a retake for encroachment making up for the fact that I missed it first time :D) in a 2-1 victory. Greatest feeling of my life, I'm understanding now why players always react with such spastic celebrations after scoring :) (I may have run all the way back to halfway pretending to be a plane).

I'm curious to ask if there's any advice for what would be useful to know in this new position; I've played since I was tiny as a goalie so after ~20 years playing one position I have no clue what I'm doing out on the field. I've gained a lot of pace in the last year long-distance running and found myself making long runs up the middle/sideline chasing down long balls and annoying defenders; the first goal I got was from harassing the goalie on a ball he came out to. I just feel like I have no clue of where I am supposed to be in general situations. Any clues or resources to check out?

e: also Nike T90 FTW if you can find them cheap; found them in a midyear clearance sale for $49 :) Most comfortable boots I've ever had. http://www.soccerpro.com/Nike-Total90-Laser-III-FG-Electric-Green-with-Black-and-Red-p10031/

My basic advice would be to keep mobile. You don't necessarily have to run about madly after the ball, but what you do want to do when your side is in possession is always make yourself available for a pass from your midfielders. It sounds pretty basic, but being static as an attacker means that you become predictable, and you always want the defender guessing where you're going to turn up. Also, don't be afraid to tell your teammates to play the ball to you if you're making a run.

If you're not playing full teams (ie 7-a-side or fewer), you'll obviously have to change your game a bit because you'll have to do more defensive work, particularly pressuring opposition defenders/the keeper with the ball, but you also want to keep in mind that if you get the ball with your back to goal and play it to a midfielder who's making a forward run, you need to stay back to cover their run. This isn't as important in 11-a-side as there'll be more players to plug the gap, so you can go forward yourself after you play the ball.

More generally, if you're good at dribbling and going past players it opens up the option to drop into midfield to receive the ball and then take it forward; if you're quick you'll look to make runs off the shoulder of the defender; if you're big but not necessarily that fast, you want to hold up the ball to allow the midfielders forward, while in the box you'd be looking to make enough space to get a shot off rather than going past defenders. You get the idea.

edit: Funnily enough, in the 7-a-side league I'm playing in this winter, I'm playing in goal full-time for the first time (previously have only been backup), and any tips you could give would be appreciated. I just got my first clean sheet last Sunday and I've been working on my positioning, but I've found it tough going to ground quickly enough to stop low shots to the left and right, so any suggestions would be most welcome.

vvv simultaneous reply!

generally I prefer fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 1, 2011

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

iajanus posted:

You'll probably find it far more natural to dive one way than the other, so if it's coming to the other side you may find it easy to (almost) slide tackle in that direction keeping your legs out and arms and torso up (or at least aware in case of a shot across your body). As always, making yourself as big as possible always helps. There's a good exercise we use at practice that helps in speed and reaction work: start by lying down at one goalpost with someone on the edge of the box with the ball on one side and someone near the spot. As the person on the edge of the box passes it to the one on the spot, jump up and sprint towards them. They then shoot, picking any direction; you try to save it. It really helps you get used to having to gauge the distances to come out and when to stay back, as well as practising reactions saves. As always, saving low is a matter of practice, so just keep at it and you'll find it gets easier.

Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely give the drill a try in warmup this weekend, and it'll probably be better practice for the strikers as well.

And yeah it sounds like you're fairly pacey/got good stamina so stretching the defenders with your runs should be really effective, especially if they're slow on the turn. Try and mix it up between running from deep and running off the defender, and, if you're playing on the wing, if you throw in one or two diagonal runs inside (with the one-twos like you mentioned), you'll prevent yourself becoming too predictable with always looking to cross.

If you are a lone striker and your team is on the defensive, your teammates are correct. You'll do them more good by harassing their defense/keeper in possession or holding the ball up at the other end than you will in your own half. If they hoof it out and there's no-one to challenge for it, it means it's just going to be coming back at your goal. You sound like you're getting the hang of things pretty well though. :)

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Just like to say that iajanus' tips for playing keeper on the last page are pretty helpful if you're having trouble getting down to stop low shots. I'm not as tall as you guys (6'1") but I was having similar trouble. Just let gravity help you out.

Also, my team have made the final of the league this weekend, and for my first extended run in goal it's gone pretty well overall, I had a bit of a mare the first couple of games but my positioning and judgement of when to come out has definitely improved. Next on the list of things to work on: distribution.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Well, my team got absolutely murdered last night in the league playoff final, against a team that we'd earlier beaten 7-1. It must have got them up for it a bit, because we got stomped, 9-0. I've never lost that big before, nor has anyone else on the team. In our defence, we were missing our two midfield workhorses who both got injured last week, and our flair player fractured his toe, so he couldn't actually run properly and we just got caught on the break every single time. I should probably have done better closing down, but when it's 2 or 3 vs. the keeper it's tough. Their keeper was loving amazing as well, saved every single shot on target, and got saved by the post two or three times.

Still, second place in the league after a bad start isn't bad, but...ehhhh. Definitely improved as a keeper over the last few months though, so thanks to everyone in the thread for the tips and encouragement!

edit: oh yeah cosmicjim, shoe chat is in here

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Shrapnac posted:

Definitely do it. If it's an organized league you can always as the head of the league if they need any spare players to fill out teams, either permanently or on a week by week basis.

I used to do that and got a more consistent run of games that way then when I was playing for an organized team and only getting 1 game a week/night.

I second this, with the added bonus that by playing as a spare/ringer you'll get to meet most of the people in the league and maybe have an in on a team for the next season, if you find some people you get along with.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Argyle posted:

The winner achieves glory, but the loser achieves immortality.

what if you draw

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Injury question. I was doing stretches before I headed out for a run - my summer league starts soon - and I found out that I can't put any weight on my (non-dominant) left leg and bend it without getting sharp pains at the top of my knee, sort of just behind the kneecap. There's no inflammation that I've noticed but probing the area revealed that it's a bit tender.

I haven't been doing too much that I can think of that could have caused this, so I'm just wondering - rest it and wait it out, see a doctor, ignore it entirely?

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Breath Ray posted:

I approach coed games the same way I do when I play against my nephews - it's non-contact and I will run and shoot at half speed. It's only fair!

gently caress that, half the time the girls are the dirtiest players on the pitch. One time I was shielding the ball out for a corner under pressure from a girl and she complained that I was being too physical because I was blocking her off. Next opportunity she got, she loving took my legs away.

I'll give girls the benefit of the doubt, but if they're prepared to mix it up I'm happy to give as good as I get.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

mixitwithblop posted:

So I've heard this is how you condition yourself to play fullback:

1)Dribble up the pitch
2)Kick ball to starting position
3)Sprint down the pitch

5)Repeat 1 to 3 until you puke

6)Do it again every 2 days

There is no 4?

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Shes Not Impressed posted:

I think it has a lot to do with getting hit in the legs and sores from the artificial turf I play on too. I went into the corner 50/50 with a bigger guy and when I hit the ground the top of my knee looked like it had a skin graft.

My confidence on the ball is awful.

Mine is too. I love playing, but I'll be the first to say that I'm not the best player and it comes through in how I behave with the ball. The best thing for it, I've found, is to work on my fundamentals. Get together with a friend (or more than one) and just practice passing, passing while moving, one and two-touch passes, and strengthening your weaker foot. Once you get a better feel for the ball it'll come across in your play.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

angry armadillo posted:

I didn't think you came off rude, sorry if I did as well, if it's 6 a side I always get confined to the area by the rules. If it's 11 a side I don't know why you'd run out 99% of times :(

In the 6-a-side I've played (as keeper a few times as well) the keeper can come out of his area (once he doesn't handle obviously) and most teams use him as a sweeper.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Fryhtaning posted:

I whiffed in a one on one from a couple yards out this week. Tbf the keeper had his hands all over my shins, but goddamn. Only about the third time I've ever beat the keeper so my brain hit the panic button and imploded in uncharted territory.

I've scored more own goals than goals. The only goal I've scored was a goalmouth scramble that I managed to bundle in, but the own goals, man. One was a first time volley from an opposition cross as I was trying to cut out the guy behind me. Another was a flick header that, instead of looping over and behind for a corner, went right into the top corner.

Whoops.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Thirteenth Step posted:

I'm interested to know everyone's pre-match nutrition and warm ups.

I play later today and I just feel like I haven't got any energy from the start. (It's only a 30 min 6-a-side game) but I just feel sluggish from the start.

So basically I'm asking;

- what pre match food / supps do you take
- what warm ups do you do?

Nothing super complicated, but for me an apple or banana or similar a little while (maybe about 20 mins) before playing really helps. As for warm ups, stretching and some jogging to warm up, and then just passing the ball around and taking shots (substitute with drills of your choice)

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

The only reason I've worn two socks in the past is that it helps shinpads stay on =/

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

So I need to get some new boots for a 3G pitch and I was looking for suggestions/recommendations about what to get.

Been using an old pair of Predators to this point (c. 2008ish) so something with a similar fit/feel would be nice.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

As we're on boots chat, I'm looking for good shoes for playing on 3G. I've been using an old pair of Predators, but the studs aren't the best for the standard of pitch and occasionally I'll turn my ankle a bit by going over on them. Something with a similar kind of fit would be nice though, if anyone's got suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Shrapnig posted:

Anything with round studs should be fine. I had the same issue with my knees/ankles when I played with blade style studs on turf as well.

Either that or check out stuff with AG soleplates since they're designed for that kind of surface. My only gripe with them is that they're not that grippy in the wet.

http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/lists/football-boots.aspx?t=artificial+grass

Cheers for the tips! I'm pretty much the only one that wears studs amongst the guys I play with - casual 5-7 a side depending on turnout that week - so I'll probably go with the AG soles, and maybe bust out the old shoes if it's raining.