Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Nearly at the end of Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner. It's amazing how the least little thing could have scuttled this movie.

Next up: I Am Spock. This has been sitting on the shelf for a while (not since it was published!) and I've started reading it today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Nevitt posted:

Just started A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving. I usually only read sci-fi/fantasy but after much persistent nagging by my girlfriend decided to go out of the box with this one. Quite enjoying it so far, much more than I though I would, Meany is an excellent character.

That's my favorite Irving book. It's quite a ride. There was an abortive attempt to film it. That abortion was called Simon Birch. Do NOT watch it.

Seriously, don't.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Just started Rutger Hauer's All Those Moments. Looking forward to the Blade Runner bits.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
I started re-reading James Halperin's The Truth Machine. It's 15 years old now and it's a trip reading it now considering some of the predictions (President Al Gore, the nuking of Baghdad, Belgrade, & Sarajevo, etc). There was talk of a movie, but it never came to fruition.

If you'd like to read it, it's available as a free download. Yeah, I know, that's a weird website to be offering it, but it appears to be a clean file (MSE did not go nuts).

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
I was at the grocery store yesterday and there was a bin of books priced 3/$10. I picked up The 13th Hour by Richard Doetsch. According to the jacket blurb, it's about a man accused of murdering his wife. While in prison, a man gives him a talisman that will allow him to go back in time one hour at a time for up to 12 hours in order to find out the truth.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
I'm currently reading King's 11/22/63, but when I hit the thrift stores today, I picked up Desperation at one place and The Regulators at the other. Both hardcovers and in excellent condition. I figured at a buck a piece, why not?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Just got back from my local Humane Society's quarterly book sale. Everything's a quarter.

I got The Goodyear Story by Richard Korman. The tagline says, "An inventor's obsession and the struggle for a rubber monopoly." Sounds crazy enough to be interesting. Especially when you look at the cover:

This dude looks intense.

And then there's this gem:

Can this be as bad as I've heard? Can I make it through til the end? Will I burn my first book?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
I'm in the middle of goon-written Liminal States, but I've also picked up the rest of Allen Steele's Coyote spinoff novels, Galaxy Blues, The River Horses, and the short story "The War of Dogs and Boids".

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Just started Julian Comstock: A Story of 22nd-Century America by Robert Charles Wilson.

quote:

In the reign of President Deklan Comstock, a reborn United States is struggling back to prosperity. Over a century after the Efflorescence of Oil, after the Fall of the Cities, after the Plague of Infertility, after the False Tribulation, after the days of the Pious Presidents, the sixty stars and thirteen stripes wave from the plains of Athabaska to the national capital in New York City. In Colorado Springs, the Dominion sees to the nation’s spiritual needs. In Labrador, the Army wages war on the Dutch. America, unified, is rising once again.

I've enjoyed Wilson's work since I read A Bridge of Years.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Do you plan on posting your thoughts in What Did You Just Finish? This sounds interesting, but it also sounds like the kind of thing that will be really good or really bad depending on the author's skills, so I'd be interested to hear your thoughts when you finish.

Probably not. I suck at reviewing books, movies, etc.

I will say this about Wilson: he usually doesn't go into much detail about the science-y thing that drives his novels. It's like, "Hey, this thing happened, just go with it."

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Just finished Keith Richards' Life (which I recommend) and started Stephen Baxter's Manifold Trilogy. I just got a Kindle Fire and it's my first eBook checked out from my local library.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
I just started Harry Harrison's Deathworld saga. I got it in a collection of eleven of his stories for $1.99 at the Kindle store. Not sure why it was so cheap.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Convexed posted:

I bought that book and then made the mistake of looking up the author on Wikipedia. Now I can't face reading it. :negative:

Don't feel bad. I bought the entire 10 volume Mission Earth by L. Ron Hubbard before I found out who he was (this was before the internet). OSC is Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm by comparison.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
The Mission of the Sacred Heart by Randy Blazak. It's based on the ELO album A New World Record.

I'll let the author tell you about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQMqpk02bew

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Finally getting into PKD's The Man in the High Castle. I love a good alternate history story.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

The latest from Allen Steele. I was hoping for a new Coyote novel, but I'll take it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Just got Richard Doetsch's Half Past Dawn. I'd read his 13th Hour and liked it well enough. It was an interesting take on the time travel genre.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
I'm making my third run through the Hyperion/Endymion saga. Despite its flaws, it's probably my favorite space opera.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Someone mentioned this in the space opera thread, so I thought I'd check it out. For some reason, I have a problem with non-humanoid aliens ( :argh: Star Trek!), but it didn't take long to get into this one.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Alan Dean Foster's Icerigger trilogy.

Got the ebook from Amazon.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Reading this first and then moving on to the Vorkosigan Saga.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Just finished Falling Free and am now starting Shards of Honor. I've heard so much about the Vorkosigan Saga, that I figured I give it a shot.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Zephyrine posted:

Just started on Atlas Shrugged.

Wow this book is going to take forever. And so far it's pretty terrible.

I mean I see what point she's trying to make but no real human beings would actually utter any of these dialogues.

Be sure you don't have a gun and alcohol nearby.

John Oliver ripped her a new one on his show last night.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Just started it today and so far so good.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Captain Hotbutt posted:

I picked up The Martian because of all the hype behind it, and because it's going to be a movie at the end of the year. I'm about a hundred pages in, and it's living up to all the critical love. It's like the purest distillation of "exciting page-turner" ever.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book, but I have my doubts about the movie.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
After numerous goon recommendations, I picked up City of Stairs. It's different, but intriguing so far. For some reason, though, it refuses to sync up properly on my Kindle Fire. It always choose the next-to-last bookmark which forces me to keep a post-it note with the last location on it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Getting into Greg Bear's The Forge of God. So far it's good, but it's funny reading sci-fi with out-dated tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
I'm doing my first reread of The World According to Garp in over 30 years. I was a junior in high school when it first came out. For some unknown reason, the librarian took a liking to me and thought I was mature enough to read this. It was definitely not what I was used to reading. I've read it a couple of times since then, but it's been a while.

• Locked thread