Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

drat was almost hoping this thread wouldn't start. Now I might have to pull all my RC stuff out of the basement and get it working again. I haven't flown any of the helis in over a year and the cars/trucks have been collecting dust in the basement for over 2. My current (that I remember) ground fleet...
- Traxxas Rustler brushless/lipo setup was my first real RC
- Traxxas T-Maxx version 1 with OS .21 on standard length chassis (currently melted transmission)
- HPI Micro RS4 brushless/lipo setup for drifting
- Kyosho Mini infrono brushless/lipo
- Tamiya Grasshopper stock
I always tended to want more power and go a little faster. The only thing I ever raced was the Mini Inferno and that was only a few times before I went brushless. After focusing on mostly ground based RC for 4 years I took to the skies and said screw planes I want something ridiculously overcomplicated and difficult yo fly...I want a heli. The heli fleet has been a bit more diverse...
- Raptor 30 v1 first heli and I still have it. CF blades, 3D head anemic OS .30 thats seen 50+ gallons
- Maxir electric on brushless/lipo setup, one of the best small electrics I've owned (I've had lots)
- Bergen Gasser EB (extended boom) this ran 810mm (32 inch) blades and was used for aerial photography. Lifted 15 pounds of camera gear into the air.
Throw into the mix a few SPAD's (Simple Plastic Airplane Design) that are planes built for $10-50 that you can crash and not worry about.

All this RC stuff above is the reason I never had nice stuff on my cars and didn't even get into cars until I was 19-20. On the other hand if it wasn't for fixing these things I never would have been as mechanical.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 27, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I flew helis through high school and the first few years of college. Took a break and am now starting to get back into it. Still have the Raptor 30 v1 I started on, still runs and flys great after lots of crashes. Also have a LAheli Maxir electric heli for indoors and mild weather flying.

Recently picked up a parkzone Radian sailplane and have been flying that a few times a week. Really a nice change of pace from the helis. Pull out the lawn chair and just float around the sky for an hour at a time.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

needknees posted:

Align TRex 500 ESP

Who else flies r/c?

Good choice, that is a nice ship. I've been looking at picking up a medium sized electric for a while.

I used to fly a lot in high school and college...that was my life in high school. Need to pack up the remaining fleet and bring them down to Tennessee. I started on a Raptor 30 v1, crashed and rebuilt too many times to count. Had lots of smaller electrics (align, hornet, laheli, etc) and a big Bergen gasser camera ship.

If you think the 500 is intimidating fire up a 16 pound gasser (22 pound flying weight) with 810mm blades and 2k+ worth of camera equipment under it...got so nervous every time I flew that drat thing.

Also for any heli guys if you're not on the runryder.com forums you might want to look into it. Was one of the better ones when I was flying.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

krushgroove posted:

I don't know planes, but my first thought would be a heli...but since it sounds like you want a beginner plane maybe a simple trainer ARF foam sucker like this: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXXHL5&P=ML

Going to have to disagree here. For something like water skiing where they are generally going pretty straight and at a constant speed a plane is a lot easier to fly and will work just as well.

Plus if he is newer to flying he could be flying a plane would be safer for everyone.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

ElBrak posted:

Also I gotta figure a way to secure my speed controller to the body since the double sided tape they used came undone.

Go to a auto parts supply place (NAPA, Autozone, etc) and pick up dual sided bumper tape. Should be black tape with red covering on the sticky side. If your speed controller falls off with that stuff you don't have a car left.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Not helping my desire to pick one of these up for messing around on my trials bike area.

Actually never seen on in person though, could you post it next to a common sized vehicle for reference? Something like a 1/10 car/truck/buggy/whatever.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I went yesterday morning and picked up these

I have more coming, building a course in the back yard for the trials bike and I think something like the Wraith would be perfect for that. Just want something slow and toruey for climbing rocks and logs. At this point it's between the SCX10 and the wraith really, both look like great slow climbers one just looks more scale than the other.

I have an old .21 t-maxx if I need to jump and bash.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 2, 2012

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

needknees posted:

That is beyond awesome. You talking pedalbike trials or the motorized variety? Can't wait to see pics of the final course!

I'm lazy so motorized for me. Brother's shopping for a cheap pedal one.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Polymerized Cum posted:

What's the cheapest RC helicopter I can buy that has true 3-axis controls? (collective, cyclic and anti-torque)

Check out this thread - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3386779

But to answer your question the cheapest (and not garbage) would be something like the Blake mCPX $100 with transmitter and everything needed to fly - http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/blade-mcp-x-v2-rtf-BLH3600

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Holy crap that thing looks good. Are those magnetic body mount posts? And if they are holy crap I wish those were a thing when I was painting cars and crying about drilling holes and ruining my 'pretty' bodies.

Wow that's a big car, I've been tempted to buy something like that but where the heck can you even run those? I'm used to bashing trucks/buggies around the yard or driving cars around the driveway or maybe taking them to a big parking lot for high speed runs. I'd guess you need a local track or something to really play with those things. Either way awesome.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

AcidRonin posted:

Also i just found that Sakura d3 Kit for like 99 bucks? Would the "kit" Have everything i need to start? I don't see a remote control in the picture and it's giving me a conniption.

For a majority of RC stuff kit is going to mean the bare chassis, I think I remember seeing some that don't even include wheels or shocks/springs. You would need all the power, radio and misc. gear to make it run. Generally if it comes with something (electronics) it will list what is included very specifically, some nice sites will also list what is required to get it running.

RTR (Ready-to-Run) on the other hand will be ready to go as the name implies. Motor/ESC, transmitter, receiver, servos, battery and a charger.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

AcidRonin posted:

Like example, is this everything (minus a body of course) i would need to get going? http://www.ebay.com/itm/3Racing-Sak...25445%26ps%3D54

That link is gross sorry. it also makes it seem like it's not assembled which i prefer.

Looks like that is missing a brushless motor to go with the ESC and battery/charger, maybe a steering servo too (most radios come with one but it doesn't say). I know nothing about setting these up so I can't offer much advice on what motor and batteries you would run in that kit.

2nd edit: looks like I edited my post as you hit quote, I know nothing about setting those cars up.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 6, 2013

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

moctopus posted:

I took a video because it confused me so much. Mute this one. I have no idea how it picked up so much loudness. My phone is also witchcraft.
In this video I the car is powered up, my transmitter is on, the servo arm is connected, the chassis is elevated with no weight on the wheels, and all I'm doing is rotating it on the box. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFcseLUEXDQ

Sure acting like there's a gyro somewhere in the system. What are all the electronics currently installed and used on it?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Nerobro posted:

Here's the plan: Take one of the cheap lap timing apps. A baseball diamond. A box of finish nails, string, and a few cones. Layout a 30 second-ish course on the clay, and do time trials. Like.. real rally cars. One car at a time, means we don't need timing gear. There's lots of cars that are suited to running on loose clay. Loose surface means treaded tires are the rule, and tires will matter less. It also should be fine to run the typical belted touring cars on it, if you don't mind cleaning up.
That sounds like a lot of fun

quote:

For the first couple decades, transponders were all borrowed. Now the people making the transponders won't sell you rental transponders.
Ah following the "full scale" racing method with bs subscription based transponders

I never really raced, more just bashed around breaking stuff, but some of the most fun had at the local track was when they had a class that was 100% stock out of the box rustlers. Guy sold them at cheap one weekend then you had a week to "prep" and the following weekend was racing. Even as a broke kid in high school I was able to compete and for a couple months it was the best turn out the track ever had.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Well now I want a scx24 :argh:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Rock crawling? Easy enough to gather some rocks and obstacles then re-stack them once you've mastered it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I know nitro is loud, it’s messy, the engines are picky and can be short lived, they’re a pain in the rear end to start and break in and adjust and tune.

Nitro engines, even 10 years ago when I was messing with them are pretty simple and I've never had one die in normal use. Find the right nitro percentage mix and run it. They're pretty easy to tune "good enough" for bashing around. Those little buggies are fast and great fun.

You'll need a glow plug warmer for starting and should probably get a few spare glow plugs as they do die eventually and are one of the first steps of troubleshooting.