Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

kuffs posted:

I really wish that the rally class had taken off.

I remember reading an article in RCCA where they took a few 2wd buggies and turned them into rally cars. They used stiffer springs and fuel tubing on the shock shafts to limit suspension travel. Then they installed a front bumper from a touring car to get more appropriate body mounts. I forgot where they got rims and tires from. And then they capped it all off with an appropriate touring car body. This would be even easier now that a few 4wd buggies share so many parts with their touring car brethren.

Shortly after this, HPI released an RS4 Rally with a lexan underbody to keep out dirt.

They would pretty much require a special track though. You would need softer jumps because of the reduced suspension travel. And you'd probably want to put a couple different track surfaces in the course.

Don't forget the TC3 Rally kit. I bought it because it made the track width 200mm, and all the cool bodies are 200mm.

Will post some pictures later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

I worked at a hobby store while in highschool. One of the most fun lax jobs I've ever had. I started when the T-Maxx was really dominating the market, it was huge for us and kept me employed for quite a while.

I was offered an AR-15 for that E-maxx, and a block of weed for that TA04, I've owned pretty much every touring car from that era, XXX-S, Nitro TC3, TC3, TC4, RS4-pro, RS4-Sport 2...huge wastes of money. One of my co-workers once got offered a blowjob from some dude for an HPI Savage.

The Hobby store has been a great learning experience and I'm thankfull every day I worked there.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

*derail*
Brings back memories of wanting to buy that Schumacher Big 6 car. I don't know if anyone remembers that but it was a RWD 1/6th scale car. I had childhood dreams of putting what was a then new brushless system (brushless for anything but air was just hitting the market) for an E-Maxx in there. It was a single E-maxx size motor that ran off dual packs and had some massive power. Pair that up with some 3300 matched packs and I was sure to break 100mph. Or just do endless doughnuts in the hobbystore parking lot.

Sorry for that. Just reliving my young adult geek dreams.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

kuffs posted:

Haha, the thread is about RC cars. Not a derail.

I think large scale RC is loving awesome. You get some awfully scale looking cars when they get larger. But as it is right now, it's just a bigger toy to try and stuff in the back of my Mazda 3.

The Big 6 actually came with a beautiful Lotus Sport Elise shell.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Been lurking this thread for a long time and you guys made me break out my old box of RC stuff I had. The last time I even messed around with anything RC was probably pre-9-11, when I worked at a hobby store. In the box was a trashed Tamiya TLT-1, a AE Mini-T and a enough baggies of random parts to build a TC3 with the rally conversion.

Several hours later:

I have an old JR XR2 for a radio, I just don't have any batteries. Would anyone like to trade a Mini-T roller for some old Ni-MH packs? It's got the metal shocks, aluminum center brace, and upgraded motor.Not sure if I want to jump to Li-Po packs just yet...just want to bash again.

If this is against the rules I'll modify, just felt like it was a little too specific for the sale forum.

Also, those Axial kits look amazing and I want them all.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is A-main hobbies usually pretty slow to ship things? I got a Axial Exo and a battery pack with their black Friday %10 off thing and haven't received a shipping update yet.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Somewhat Heroic posted:

If they had any kind of response like we did with our Black Friday sale it's going to take a couple of days. We will be caught up tomorrow from all the orders we got :stare: it has been quite the week for us. You're going to love your EXO. I had a blast building mine. I would suggest painting your body panels first before building. The cage is an integral part of finishing the car and having to stop the build half way through to paint sucked balls and ended with me having the most half assed paint job I've done in a looong time. Did you do any upgrades? I did the axial hard ano f/r towers and steering rack. Also know it only comes with a 12T pinion with the 3mm bore. If you're using a 1/8 motor (I'm using a novak 4.5T ballistic 550) you'll need to get a 5mm bore pinion. I'm using 2S and using a 12T pinion for what it's worth.

Wow, good info thank you! Ya, I haven't had an RC car since I worked at a hobby shop in high school. I was looking for something for just bashing and the EXO looks stout and cool. I went with this http://www.funshobby.com/index.php/...E+SHIPPING.html motor/esc combo and scavenged some old RC cars for an old JR radio and a high torque servo. Going to be upgrading as I get paid...learn more about LiPo and what kinds of new RX's people are into. Good thinking on the pinion bore, I'll have to get that and some lexan paint. Luckily I have plenty of time before that motor/esc gets here.

I purchased the 4.5Y version under the impression it would be simmilar to a 4.5 turn, or maybe some dude in China just made a mistake with his Y's and T's. Does that sound right? My buddy hooked me up with a couple 3300 NiMH packs until I decide on the LiPo setup I want, not ideal, but hopefully ok for just dicking around.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

My Wraith is finished and ready for the rocks this weekend. The build was great (minus Axial not including steering knuckles in the kit and a buddy giving me an extra set) and everything is extremely high quality with a great finish. Installing the interior was a bitch but it came out great!

The Wraith is gigantic and makes my scx10 look small in comparison. It's also pretty drat heavy. I reversed the 4 link bars and shock mounts to give it a lower CG and now it sits low and long. I have my scx10 dialed in to where it's one of the top performing trucks in our club so I'm excited to start zeroing in the Wraith.

Holy poo poo, I thought that was a ghost buster logo on the hood and I was going to give you a high five.

That truck looks amazing, drat RC cars have gone nuts.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Holy poo poo the EXO is fun, tons of turn in with the stock setup yet stable at speed. I've never had a 4WD off road car though, so maybe its just normal.

A standard 7.2 NiMH pack isn't anywhere near enough juice for the motor/ESC I got. It bogs down feels slow so I ordered these things from hobby king today:

Charger

Power Supply

3S pack

2S pack

Hopefully I can find a happy medium.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Fastest way to break the poo poo out of your Exo while having as much fun as possible has to be playing with it at a concrete skate park in the rain. Forgot how much of an absolute money pit RC is, already have more than the cost of the kit in upgrades/replacement parts. The plus side is I'm not a poor kid anymore and it's sooooo worth it.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's so cool.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Are you a car guy who likes to tinker or a car guy who likes to drive? I'd suggest nitro for a dude who loves to tinker and mess with stuff, electric for driving, especially for quick runs. I enjoy electric because I can throw it in my truck before i leave for work and have a good 30 minute run at the skate park before I go home.

Actually I just made this list for a buddy yesterday who wants to get into the hobby and enjoyed driving my exo, maybe it will help you.

But there's about a thousand ways you can go with everything and so many people in this thread with much more knowledge about the hobby than myself. I would suggest building it up from a kit rather than buying RTR and checking out rctech.com forums, they are pretty big.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Selling my complete Exo setup to all who are interested.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553140

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Who needs LEDs!

I could use a little help... I got this from a buddy at work...

What I know is that it's an OFNA Hyper... Something? I cant quite pinpoint what exactly it is with all the aftermarket stuff. Hopefully someone can tell from these pics...

Definitely not the stock engine...

It has a pipe too...

This is the transmitter it came with...

The only thing I've done to it is replace that ancient radio with a Flysky receiver I had and confirmed that the servos work properly. It all feels very solid and appears to be lightly used. My trouble is that I have next to no knowledge about Nitro stuff. I know the fundamentals but as far as this project goes I don't even know where to start. Especially considering that I don't even know exactly what I have to start. The obvious things are the tires, a clutch, air filter and the hardware for the brake and throttle. If someone can tell me where to get things I need to get this old boy driving again, or if its even worth the time, I'd appreciate it!

I don't know what model OFNA this is, but it is a snapshot of my time working at a hobby store in 2005/6...if that helps?