Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I've got my XL all ready to go except the motor and ESC. China is far away and I got that Neu-Castle/Quicrun deal. Got my y adapter soldered up for the BEC and the series connector for the batteries. Once the drat motor/esc show up it'll take a whopping 10 minutes to have the motor and battery connector soldered on and running. It's a long wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Somewhat Heroic posted:

drat this thing is amazing. Seriously everyone in this thread needs to buy a Yeti XL. Even just 4S with stock gearing is bloody good. Jumping is balanced. It's seriously the only car I can think of that's fun at slow and top speeds. It just decimated anything I drove towards. It mobbed over high weeds and grass without hesitation. The giant tires roll over everything and also provide a supple ride. Buy an XL.

Good lord yes, this is all so right.
I've run mine (kit version) a handful of times now, and while I put in aftermarket steering, it's otherwise a stock kit with stock RTR level motor and it absolutely rips. I haven't even fixed the bouncy as gently caress rear end and droopy front end and it's just ridiculously competent and playful. It just behaves on a completely different level from 1/10, and it totally opens up the possibilities for where you can run it. I don't think I'm going to bother getting packs to run it at 6s. It's more than fast and punchy enough on 4s.

Doesn't even need much in the way of upgrades. The aluminum bellcrank was worth doing, and I might do some inexpensive stuff like RC8T wheel hexes (wider stance) and mess around with springs/shock oil/diff grease. Other than that I'll pick up aluminum shock caps someday and just keep some extra parts around (lower arms, upper links, shock shafts, etc. all cheap stuff)

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

slidebite posted:

So my 72 year old father in law is a bit of a geek and when I told him he should get a boat for the man made pond just outside his back yard his eyes lit up like a 5 year old on Christmas eve.

Is there a "decent" boat for beginners? Hovercraft maybe? I'd like to keep it under $300.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/boats/electric-boats/boats/recoil-26-inch-self-righting-brushless-deep-v-rtr-p-prb08022
Pretty much one of the best midrange RTR boats around that I know of if you want something really reliable and hard to gently caress up.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Kibner posted:

It's going to be so much fun when I become a good enough driver to avoid breaking something halfway through a battery pack.

Yeah.. My Yeti XL with 16000mah of battery would typically last about 6-8 minutes of fun before I broke something significant.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Is anything new in the 1/8 desert truck-ish/monster buggy world? I sold my Yeti XL a year or two ago and I'm sort of regretting it now.. It'd be real easy to just buy the kit again.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

The RC bug bit again and I ordered a Rock Rey. I've been missing my YXL and this seems like a smaller, more reliable way to go.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Got myself a BND Rock Rey and it's excellent right out of the box on 2s. Absolutely hilarious that it takes 16 tiny screws, 16 washers and 16 standoffs underneath for a total of 48 things to remove/replace the body panels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Something like the Losi Rock Rey would be fun with that. Super Rock Rey would do even better with what looks like some pretty stiff, angry brush.