Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Just want to say, IOC, your choice of packaging / box decoration was pretty amusing and probably made my mailman raise an eyebrow :v:

But yeah, charger arrived safely today while I was at work, so huzzah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I'm going to ask an incredibly dumb question here, but i'm genuinely confused.

So, Tamiya connectors. One plug should have the pins, the other should have where the pins go into to maintain the connection, right? I ordered a Female Tamiya to Male Deans adapter for the charger IOC sent me, because it uses what I thought was a male Tamiya connector. Except... both male and female plugs have pins. Which doesn't really work, as you can imagine.

Charger side:

Adapter female plug:

I fully expect this to be one of those "No, you dumbass, you need this adapter." type of things, I'm just wondering what sort of plug combo I need to make this work. Help me guys, it's been way too long since I've delved into this hobby and everything has changed!

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

That's what's confusing me. I thought the top one was your standard Tamiya male, it comes out of the charger and looks like you connect it to your battery to charge it, but the pins are throwing me off.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

powderific posted:

butt connectors

Oh, holy poo poo, I forgot about those! I think we have a ton of extra ones in the shop at work, I could probably grab a pair and use those. I'll give that a shot tomorrow, thanks for the suggestion.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

That connector isn't for charging the battery, by the way! It's for the option to power that charger off of a 12V battery with the alligator clips included.

If you bought a Tamiya-Deans adapter, and have no need for it aside from this, lop the Tamiya end off and strip the ends of what is now a Deans pigtail and put them in the spring terminals on the front :)

OH. Ohhh. Yeah, in that case, I can easily make it work. Thanks for telling me about that plug, for some reason I figured it was the charging one :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

So, this happened today :haw:

It looks worse than it is. Steering arm needs to be popped back on, and I need to replace the front right shock tower. Luckily I had a $10 gift card from Tower Hobbies and they have the parts in stock, so this only cost me about $1.28 after shipping because I sprung for Priority Mail. In the meantime, i'm gonna grab a pair of pliers to pop the steering arm back on where it's supposed to go, and I figure I might be able to model cement the shock tower and have that hold for a bit as long as I go easy on it.

I tried popping it back on by hand, but it was having none of it. You can see it's all still in one piece, the landing just knocked it off.

This, on the other hand... completely sheared in half. S'why I bought a basher though! Honestly, I don't blame the car, this was entirely me. I launched it off a nice jump and it landed directly on the front right wheel on concrete after getting a good amount of air. Totally my fault, I can't fault ARRMA for that one at all. Oh well, it can be fixed and it'll live to drive again.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

So, on the subject of NiMH packs and exploding due to charging... The pack that came with my Raider is a 2000 mAh stick. The back of it advises against charging it higher than 1C (I Think it's 1C). Is that just a precautionary thing? The way i've been reading and interpreting this thread and the like, I should safely be able to do a 2A charge on it, right? Or should I just stick to 1A? Educate me on batteries! (Please :v: )

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

ARRMA wasn't kidding when they said it has waterproof electronics. First snow of the year and I had my Raider out cutting donuts on the road in front of my house, and this is how it looked by the time I got done. I'm impressed, this little buggy can handle anything so far. It's also a total blast to throw around in snow because it just throws rooster tails everywhere :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Nerobro posted:

OH, and while we're at it, anyone want to buy a Tamiya M-05?

Got any details / pictures? It might be a bit before I can pick up anything new but i'm always curious about good deals.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Nerobro posted:

So.. here's the M05 and LXT.

*snip*

I'd love to get them to someone who'll actually use them. Somehwere here I have a nice 5000mah hardcase pack for the LXT too.

Oooh. The only downside, and this is something that I just thought about, is i'd have nowhere to run that M05 around here. Yay, rural areas lacking in actual smooth flat ground. That thing would bottom out everywhere :sigh:

It looks pretty rad though! First time I've ever seen a front wheel drive r/c car, that's interesting.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

My Revo 3.3 was 4wd and had a 2 speed transmission. It also topped out at 60mph and went over any and all terrain. Maybe go for an E-Revo? They're pretty much the same, except instead of the 3.3 Nitro engine they're brushless electric and much less of a hassle to run and mess with.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Out of curiosity, what's the average run time on most scale crawlers? I keep looking at Axial SCX10s as something to maybe delve into later this summer, just wondering what to expect re: battery life. There's a nice walking trail nearby that goes along and over a creek, figured that might be perfect to take one on.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Awesome! Thanks guys, I think you just sold me on getting one sometime in the next few months then :D

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

So I just noticed this as a new release on Steam, and it looks pretty drat cool. I'm not huge on the whole "ONLINE E-SPORT COMMUNITY" thing personally, but the graphics look really great and I like the idea of tuning and customizing your cars. Plus, it'd be a fun way to mess about with nitro stuff again without having to deal with the associated hassle that comes with it in real life :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

slidebite posted:

Anyone know of a pc game controller that is like a rc controller?

I had one in the 90s and it was pretty good but it wasn't USB nor have I seen anything like it in years.

Apparently they sell an adapter on their site that lets you use an actual RC transmitter with your PC. There's also a free to play version with 8 cars and limited tracks if you guys want to test it out first, they offer it on their homepage.

I have one of these but it's a dual stick setup meant more for heli / plane sims than cars.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

That is seriously cool! I never realized just how huge those things are.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Oh hell, I just looked up VTA cars. Those look loving baller. I demand videos :allears:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

That Cuda one owns. Love the paintjob on it.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Bit of a dumb question, but i'm curious. Let's say i'm looking at getting an SCX10 Trail Honcho in a few months, but I want to throw some sort of muscle car body on there. What scale should I be shopping for if I want to use a classic Camaro / Charger / Mustang shell, and how hard would it be to adapt one to fit an SCX10? I have... plans :getin:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

jonathan posted:

So should I go for the $40 traxxas lcg chassis, or the pro line $140 one.

Go for the one with the most carbon fibre bits. Weight savings :rice:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

bisticles posted:

Got my XV-01 most of the way there. Body is held on with some 1cm-sized neodymium magnets, power is a Hobbywing WP-SC8 ESC and some $25 4300KV motor. I painted the body myself, probably a little too heavy on the splatter, but once you get started, it's hard to stop. There aren't many people running go-fast cars around here, but I may try to head over to a track day over in the next county some time and see when people get together for casual racing. Either way, this thing is loads of fun in a big flat parking lot.

That splatter looks seriously awesome. Nicely done!

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

jonathan posted:

Stuff that flexes out the suspension is always fun. I would skip the mud. Tough on parts, gets everywhere. Crazy up/down obstacles that causes the vehicle to articulate is the entertaining stuff.

Tried a new suspension setup last night. Using topcad parts from asiatees, with HPI savage dampers. Also did all the steering, knuckle and lockout components in orange anodized aluminium. Only issue is the springs are way too stiff, and the shocks have a ton of friction in them. I pulled them apart, drained the oil and half filled the shocks with thin oil. Still not loose enough. Maybe they need to be worked a bit ? Also I need some really soft springs. Anyone know where I could get a custom spring ?

Holy christ, that is insane flex.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Siochain posted:

Vacation Trip Report: Successful.
Took my SCX10 out west, had a nice little rip around the farm with it.
Then bought that Vaterra Glamis Uno. Hoooooooly poo poo that thing rips around.

Way too much fun. Wife has some photos I need to grab of me tearing around with it. 2wd buggy is way more fun than I had figured it would be. I think I've blown through more packs with it than my others combined, and I've only had it for a week.

2wd buggies are the best drat thing :hfive:

They're just so fun to drive and toss around. My ARRMA Raider has seen a lot of use on basically every loose surface I can find :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

fjelltorsk posted:

Holy poo poo, i participated in the norwegian 1/8 E buggy nationals today, with my 9 year old converted xray 808e becuase they where local. E-buggy is still a very small class in norway, so it was a very short event with a field of 42 racers. I had so much fun racing real buggies with no nitro faff to be bothered with. Somehow i actually won and became national champion. Since i got sick with cancer i have been just racing on the club level and only 1:10. I started talking to a buddy about how i should convert my xray xb8 to e and have some fun.... He asked me what i felt about Mugen Seiki, i said... nice cars good quality and he walked off. to return with a funny swede who is the team manager for Mugen in europe. who offered me a full ride with sponsorships from AKA, Mugen and he would try to get tekin to renew my contract. They offered me to test drive a buggy, but considering my buggy had three wheel drive and two bent shocks during the last two finals i just agreed. I have some time off later this week so then its time to build my new race rigs.

My goal is to participate in the E-buggy euros within two years. maybe even the worlds. going to be weird racing 1/8 scale without them saying "xray" for the first time...

:stare:

That is loving awesome! Congrats dude!

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

jonathan posted:

been waiting for a company to step up and make a real scale trophy truck. Other than 4x4, but that could be disabled easily enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG4ZsU08uXU

Before they launched this, they actually contacted this kid about a year ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McPaKD7GSws
Custom welded tube chassis from scratch

Holy poo poo I need that Axial trophy truck in my life. NEED. Not even upset about the 4wd, because I can just pretend it's a Pro 4 short course truck :allears:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

Christ. I need another expensive hobby like I need a hole in the head but now I want to get into RC crawling too :allears:

You and me both. I reallyyy want a nice Axial rig :(

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

an AOL chatroom posted:

Wife: "Oh hey, it's snowing"
Me: "Nice!"
Wife: "... are you happy because you're going to go play with your toy truck in the driveway?"

:lol:

This owns hard.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Hi, my name is Chris and I make bad financial decisions. Thanks to the AI Facebook group i got convinced to pull the trigger on a scale crawler finally. I'm excited to take this thing down some of the walking trails in the forests around here.

I've also been eyeballing a lot of bodies and bumpers and other fun extra bits and I can see myself dumping a small fortune into this. It's a shame nobody makes a Jeep J10 or Grand Wagoneer body though :shobon:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

The waterfall near my house finally dried up enough for me to try crawling up it!

Also gave me an excuse to dust off my camera and try taking some decent shots of my new Deadbolt in action :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

mattfl posted:

Got a friend with a 3d printer? :)

https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=scx10&type=things&sort=relevant

My 3d printed Jeep is roughly the size as those SCX10's and I've printed out a bunch of parts for it

https://imgur.com/gallery/GUC59v8

You know, my wife has been talking about wanting to get a 3D printer with tax return money :hmmyes:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

So i've been absolutely scouring the internet, trying to find somewhere that has the drat Axial NuKizer body in stock, to no avail. I know it's discontinued but I was kinda hoping somebody would have at least one sitting around somewhere in inventory, or at the very least have a used one they'd be willing to part with, but nada. So I had pretty much given up on ever making this a reality, until I discovered this:

The JConcepts M117 Lloyd

It's not an officially licensed Jeep body but, good enough for what I want :neckbeard:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I've been using this one with zero issue so far. Dad has the same one for his helis, and so far the only thing i've noticed is it gets fairly warm after a bit. Never had it shut off or catch on fire though, and my 2S batteries have yet to explode or fail :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

shy boy from chess club posted:

I totally forgot that this thread existed! I've got my RC10 that I've had since I was a kid that I dug out last year to mess around with. It started simple since I just wanted to get some batteries and get it going again to mess around and of course it snowballed.

First digging it out. It was a mess

Cleaning it up

I have a Futaba pistol grip that I lost the battery holder and door for which is one of the reasons I put it away. Found both for around $10 which one I was surprised was available new and two that it was so cheap.

Then I got 2 nimh batteries but found out my old quick charger was no good for them so I got the right charger for them as well.

While searching around I also found some kick-rear end model Hella light bar to put on as well.

New batteries and ESC/receiver wiring all done with new connectors that I now forget the name of but they are great. Small and good positive connections that never get warm so they carry current well.

Some finished hard parking articulation pics. Hella wiring not done yet here

So I've been driving it around some and it's ok but it's slow and I just smoked the windings in the Green Machine the other day. Replaced it with a Slot Machine that I had and it still sucks no matter what I do with the gearing so I broke down and ordered a brushless motor and ESC combo, some replacement ball cups since I snapped one doing sick jumps in the cold the other day, new wheels and tires and some body clips since I had none.

Should be a lot more fun with the new motor and really fun replacing all the weak links I find with it.

This rules! I have an incredible fondness for classic buggies, my uncle had one when I was a kid and the smell of the tires when he first ripped it will forever be stuck in my memory :allears:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

deong posted:

What up fellas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WPoNJP6S9w

Here is it driving in the open/house. I'm beyond excited to dick with this.

Not gonna lie, this makes me want to get some sort of FPV setup for my SCX10 :v:

Speaking of! The weather has been really nice lately, which gave me an excuse to go to my favorite nature trail and play around in the creek.

I genuinely cannot wait to get a new body and some aftermarket bumpers and lights for this thing :allears:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

That Beetle is awesome! It looks like an absolute riot!

Also, Crawler guys / anyone else who might have an idea: Does anyone have a good suggestion for a pre-made interior for my SCX10? Or something along those lines if that makes sense.

I have a JConcepts GMC K10 body on the way along with a bunch of other scale bits, and I REALLY want to do clear windows with a scale interior and action figure driver to really complete the look, but I genuinely have no idea where to start. Do peoples / companies make scale interiors that you can just glue to the body or whatever or is that sort of thing almost entirely custom fabbed?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

mattfl posted:

You can try this if you want

Go here -> https://www.thingiverse.com/ and search for SCX10 stuff and if you find something you want I'd be more than happy to print it out for you.

Awesome, I'll look through what they have and get back to you! I'm genuinely new to realistic scale stuff so I have like, zero idea how this sort of thing is usually done :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I finally finished my K10 body. The rear fenders need the tiniest bit of trimming, and it sits slightly off center because i accidentally drilled the holes a smidge too far to one side, but this honestly turned out better than I expected.

And now I know to drill my holes before painting for whenever I get around to doing my next body :v:

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 7, 2021

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I pulled my old Arrma Raider out of storage today and threw one of my spare 2S LiPos in it just to see what kind of difference it would make. The thing was an absolute rocket, it spent more time sliding sideways and flinging gravel than anything else. Pretty sure I cooked the stock motor though, Arrma advertises these as being LiPo ready but I feel like the factory brushed motor might not be capable of actually handling that kind of power :v:

Oh well, at least replacements are only like $20!

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Man... now I miss my old Revo 3.3. That thing was a fuckin riot, me and a couple friends took it out to a high school parking lot and convinced one of the local cops to radar it and then race it from a dig. Ended up walking his Charger until the Revo topped out at 60 :lol:

Nitro cars are fun as gently caress and the sound is incredible, but they are absolutely fiddly and I can't blame anyone for not wanting to deal with them. I don't think I could ever go back even as much as I enjoy them :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

that is absolutely badass! i appreciate the suggestion very much but I shouldve clarified im not into drifting

Is RC drag racing a thing? I was thinking of building a nitro dragster because I feel an electric one would be pretty boring.

Im definitely a person who enjoys working on the cars more than driving them but my weird brain finds it hard to build for building sake, hence why RC drag racing interested me if thats even a thing.

Hey I got good news

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TgKkx3rmiE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHPi415OmAM

It totally is a thing and it's as cool as you imagine. They even make scale Christmas Trees!

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 8, 2024