Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

This is sort of out of left field but I figure I'd ask since I know several of you are road racers - a couple months ago I purchased an ARTR X-Ray F1 car (justoc blinky esc and 21.5 motor w/ short 2S that fits chassis) off r/c tech with the intention of racing f1. With all my monster truck stuff coupled with helping out big squid I just don't have time to race F1 so I have a perfectly fine race car that I probably need to unload. I'd make a hell of a deal if anyone was interested. $275 shipped. Just add an RX and change the spur gear (it's missing a couple teeth from the previous owner). Has 2 bodies and a few extra x-ray parts. Outside of the spur its in fantastic condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Siochain posted:

Seems okay, but its a lot pricier, and to be honest, I'm not a fan of the looks. Weird as it sounds, I want to like the look of what I'm beating the poo poo out of.

This isn't weird at all. There is so much cool looking stuff on the market anymore that it really makes the ugly stuff (like the extremely generic and uninspired looking X-Maxx) stick out.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

FWIW since I've been involved with Big Squid going on 3 years now the Kraton is pretty much the Big Man on Campus when it comes to RTR, off the shelf, no mod bash trucks. If you want something big that can jump, haul rear end, and take a massive beating then the $500 or so price of admission is one hell of a deal. You can find better stuff for a higher price, but from what I've seen personally it's a hoss.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Siochain posted:

You're guys review of it is what sold me on it. Was hoping to hear from you hahah.
Thanks!
Now to wait for the tax return to get in.

You will love it. Hobbico is really on to something with the Arrma line and the Kraton is a home run of a vehicle. I think I'd argue its the best kept secret in r/c.

Hey guess what I have coming soon? A Kyosho Blizzard! I'm going to be racing it in our retro monster truck class after I do up a Midnight Pumpkin body for it. I've always loved Monster Tank Trucks

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 15, 2016

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Mr. Apollo posted:

Ive been out of the hobby for a while, but do you mean something like an Inferno ST-RR?

Never driven the Inferno truggy but i've heard they are great.

As for the Blizzard, mine is a new one with the twin 370 size motor setups, but i'll be modifying it to fit bigger 540 size. I had heard others say try and get an old one but at the time the only older ones I had seen were in bad condition and/or with an asking price way too high.

I'll post a pic when I'm finished with it but it's conversion to monster tank truck has gone very well and I'll be finished early this week. It's a lot of fun to drive as well.

EDIT - For the poster asking about the RR10 I think it's Axial's best truck since the original SCX10. Speaking of that, the SCX10 V2 (or whatever it's supposed to be called) should be announced very soon.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 18, 2016

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Mr. Apollo posted:

Does anyone make anything like this for RC vehicles?

That'd be cool for winter bashing.

edit - someone made a 3D printed set for 1/10 vehicles.

http://www.instructables.com/id/RC-car-tracks-in-110-scale/

Yes, RC4wd has made their predator tracks for awhile now. They have them in various sizes.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

:getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-6rvEvc3IE

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

krushgroove posted:

What you heard was probably 'Hobbico is buying HPI' or 'Traxxas is buying HPI', both of which are wrong. Hobbico is the North American distributor and that is it. They never looked at buying the company seriously. Traxxas at one point WAS a 'preferred bidder' and were quite a ways along the process of buying HPI, but they pulled out and Ripmax stepped right in. Most of the comments I've read online have been supportive and good, apart from the people interested in the Venture FJ, very few of which seem to understand that the company was pretty close to being shut down completely.

The Traxxas lawsuit that not many people know about is real but bullshit - they sued to protect their 'design' of a rubber seal around a receiver box (really? remember that US patent law is poo poo), which Axial, Armma and other RC kits have as well - but they're not being sued, are they? And who are they owned by? Traxxas's biggest distributor. Don't know if the lawsuit is only against HPI Inc, aka HPI USA, (if it was, that company is gone now) but we've already changed our electronics to be truly waterproof (receivers as well) so it's moot anyway, AND our products are now better.

HB is not involved in the sale and is not owned by Ripmax, HPI and HB have nothing to do with each other any more apart from some HB pieces like tires being in a few HPI kits. Don't know what's going to happen with HB and honestly don't care, HB is/was a money sink. It was an anchor around HPI's neck for years, and we're glad to be rid of it. Almost the entire HB off-road team is gone as well, by the way. There's other poo poo that was happening behind the scenes that would make your head spin...suffice to say there are people/companies in the RC industry that wanted the same thing to happen to HPI EU back when all this started, and let me take off my HPI hat and say gently caress them.

Like the press release says (and I wrote the first couple of drafts) it will be a few months before HPI is back up to speed, because suppliers need to be paid for things to get shipped, then a month or so for those things to reach customers. While that's happening the R&D guys in Cali will be working on getting new stuff finalized, so hopefully by the end of the year we'll have shipping dates for the Venture, Hoonicorn and other new kits.

Glad to hear that after all the turmoil there finally appears to be a light at the end of the tunnel. Sorry for the stress I'm sure it caused. I've went through a possible buyout/owner change before with a previous company and it's a lovely thing. And in regards to many in the hobby being pieces of poo poo, well, I'm well aware of many of said people and I'm just involved with the media in limited capacity. Nice to hear that some of the good folks will stay employed!

Really hoping that you guys get your sea legs back under you and start to roll. I've always loved my HPI offerings!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

You Am I posted:

I have plenty of brakes on my Hobbywing Justock ESC, that's bizarre. What brand of motor are you running? I have had no issues with Hobbywing or Orion motors where it comes to brakes. Might be worth updating the firmware on your Hobbywing ESC.

Sad to see Novak shut their doors, I always used their stuff in the brushed motor days, the GT7 ESC and the Millennium Pro charger. However they seemed to drop the ball in the brushless era, even though they were one of the first companies to move to brushless. The GTB was the ESC to own, but other brands like LRP, Orion, Tekin, Hobbywing and Much More seem to be more popular today in RC racing, at least onroad.

Yeah, I had GTBs in several of my cars. Their Havoc systems were also popular in sportsman racing. They got passed by really fast though and basically were resting on their laurels. The last few years I can't think of one person I know that actually ran any of their stuff.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

3S definitely generates a lot more heat than 2S, enough so that on certain ESC's (like the one you have, most likely) you need to be aware of it. Generally if it gets to hot it should have thermal protection and stop operation before burning up, but that doesn't always work as intended especially if it gets really hot really fast. I don't mean to scare you from 3S, just know you'll need to be watching it.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Iznogood posted:

Never really looked into rc until recently. When I went to a store to buy models I'd go in the models section and see Tamiya models. Did not really check out the rcs. But anyways I probably saw rcs in the catalog but since it was just a distant dream I never took notice. I had this memory of this rc with blue smoke and insane speed 30+ years ago. Dreamed of that car. Just discovered that they exist in electric now with crazy power. Did not know anything at all about this hobby really until like a month ago.

Got my new RPM bumper today to replace the little stock one. Very happy. Had a ton of fun today and getting to know my truck better. I still need to fix the toe(?) of the front wheels since the right ione is a little in and the left one is straight. Seems a easy enough fix.

Still waiting on the new body (clear with decals). I have plenty of paint so looking forward to this.

edit: Ah! Found out the postman left a note. Just got my body after all! Looks very nice.
https://www.amazon.ca/Traxxas-Rustler-ProGraphix-Decal-Sheet/dp/B001IZEQAG

Use polycarbonate paint (i.e. lexan) or its not going to stick and will immediately flake off.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

We've been posting a lot about it on Big Squid. The TRX-4 is a freaking beast of a truck.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

If any of you folks would like an ECX Barrage crawler, let me know. I have one in really good shape that I got for my daughter but she isn't big on. It's rtr and I'd sell it shipped for $90. Thanks

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Those of you into scale crawlers should check out the Big Squid 1.9 Shootout that we just completed. It was by far the most fun thing I've gotten to take part in since being involved in BSRC. It was a real fight, and all 6 trucks actually kicked a ton of rear end. Driving these back-to-back-to-back etc ad nauseum was really interesting as you could really feel the differences in design, even if they seem small.

https://www.bigsquidrc.com/1-9-scale-crawler-shootout

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 7, 2017

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I am getting very close to pulling the trigger on the most expensive r/c I've ever purchased- a Cross RC BC8 Mammoth which is a scale Soviet era MAZ-537 ultra heavy cargo truck (the real one pulls ICBMs, tanks, and all kinds of other crazy poo poo). I had never seen the Cross RC stuff in person until last month when I went out to do some scale logging at a buddies house with property and a few of them all had Cross RC military style rigs....and holy poo poo those things are built STRONG. I saw a BC8 in person as one of them had one and in the 30 some years of being involved in r/c, it was probably the single most impressive rig I've ever seen. It was hauling 50 lbs of logs through the woods and through deep mud.

I had recently dumped a lot of cash into a Tamiya semi truck (my first foray into r/c semis) and upon seeing the Cross stuff, immediately knew I made a mistake with the relatively fragile Tamiya stuff and it just sold so I've got a good bit of cash for the Mammoth but maaaaan. $1,500 is A LOT of coin as we are probably talking $2k once I finish it with electronics and everything else.

However, the BC8 is built to the 9's with drat near everything on it machined (it also comes with lights and a sound system) to where there are no hop-ups needed for it. My friend has owned his about a year and says its his favorite vehicle in fleet by far, and he beats the crap out of it.

What to do what to do. Suppose I can always sell it if it winds up just sitting on my shelf.

(this is the BC8 for those wondering - https://www.crossrc.us/shop/bc-8-mammoth-flagship-version/)

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

kuffs posted:

I have one. It’s mid-build since I decided to do a lot of customization on it. https://imgur.com/a/ibuA2Yc

I personally think the aluminum parts detract from it. The red transmission housings don’t look very realistic. The plastic components are included in the kit as well, and they’re more detailed. But I don’t think Cross RC actually makes any ‘standard’ kits.

I think the kit is actually pretty nice. Cross RC seems to have a pretty good injection mold designer. There are some big parts that came out pretty clean and detailed. It comes with a lot of accessories like all the lighting and a sound module.

I think my only real complaint is that the suspension has a lot of slop. I just bought a small pile of shims and I’m cleaning it up that way.

This is awesome you have one of the big boys! Yours looks very nice. Hopefully you get the slop cleaned up in the suspension. Looking forward to seeing more of your truck and hearing some impressions.

So I actually did order a Cross truck yesterday, but not the BC8. I ordered the HC-6 (which is an unlicensed combo of a few army trucks, closest to the classic M35). $700 isn't a cheap kit, but it was a good deal less than the 8x8 BC8. I plan to put a fifth wheel on the HC-6 and do it up as a civilian/industrial version of the truck versus military and use it for heavy logging. My friends that do it say a tamiya style fifth wheel fits fine and this is the setup one buddy has on his UC-6. Anyways, I'm going to be doing it up to the 9's. Probably a yellow/green pacific northwest style logging truck livery. https://www.crossrc.us/shop/hc-6-kit/

I'm really looking forward to building the kit.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

kuffs posted:

Yeah, the pane to the right is going to be the navigation unit. I’ve got the servo signals plumbed into the microcontroller so it can read ‘speed’. I’ve got a tiny magnetometer in there so I know heading. And with those two I can make the terrain map move around in a realistic manner.

Here’s a bad video from when I was debugging it.

https://i.imgur.com/Q3eNlKz.mp4

That's some incredible detail man, nice work.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Another video we shot, this time using a Cross RC BC-8, a UC-6, and a Kingkong RC fuel truck (complete with a rolling steel weight inside of the tank the simulates fuel slosh)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8240QbBvfw

I just finished my Cross HC-6 logging truck and took it on its first shake down run. I'll post some pics of it soon here.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I've run a large solid axle monster truck racing club for 9 years. Next year will be our 10 year anniversary of doing it. While the niche is different, a lot of the usual stuff from other forms of r/c (and any kind of racing, really) is present. Lots of drama over the years has come and gone when certain racers get involved. We've had a lot of 1:1 monster truck guys get involved, so you've got the added nonsense from a bunch of full scale guys where everyone thinks they know best. I've almost stepped down a few times over the years, but ultimately the fun and friends have outweighed the bullshit spikes that show up.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I actually find myself missing having a nitro/gas rig. And yeah, back in the day break in was really everything. I was always VERY careful to break my engines in correctly and due to that, rarely had any major issues.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

as a big drag racing fan its p much essential to have nitro and gas for rc drag racing. You can do it with electric of course but it just sucks the magic and fun out of it completely.

Yeah, I've dabbled with r/c drag racing several times and while it was fun, being that the cars were electric it REALLY seemed to take away from the fun of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I remember back when the Slash released and spec racing started with them. It was fun but it was drat near a straight up demolition derby, and it got old quick.