Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
Speaking of Amy Sedaris, you should check out Wigfield. Sedaris, Stephen Colbert and Paul Dinello read a cast of dozens of characters and it is definitely one of the best audiobooks I've listened to, both in terms of humor and the quality of production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

coyo7e posted:

So here's a request, anyone have recommends on fiction or non-fiction about nature, fishing, hunting, camping and the like?

There's always A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson, I remember liking that audiobook.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

supermikhail posted:

So I reckon it's time to unsubscribe, especially considering the economic situation in Russia where I reside (it's not bankrupting me, but from my point of view I'm paying twice the price I did in the beginning). Opinions?

I've been able to string out about six months of Audible so far for about six dollars by just keeping an eye on places like slickdeals for discounts and free months. Even so, I still end up listening to free podcasts far far more than any of these almost free books I've gotten. I'd say ditch Audible and only pop back on when its a deal/you have a specific book in mind.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

supermikhail posted:

Oh, drat. I still have 2 credits, and it says if I cancel my membership, they will be gone. :( I guess I should get something with them.

Yeah you lose your credits if you cancel so spend them first. However if you go partway through canceling and cite "can't afford subscription" as the reason they will offer you either 20 bucks or a free credit or some discounted months. You can take those, spend them, and then immediately cancel afterwards anyway.

If you need recommendations I would suggest the Locke Lamora series for fiction or Legacy of Ashes: History of the CIA/ Enemies: History of the FBI or The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich for non fiction.

Sadly Wigfield: The Can Do Town That Just May Not is not on audible for whatever reason. Anyone reading this owes themselves to find that because it is pretty amazing.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

supermikhail posted:

I read Lies of Locke Lamora, and found it in parts too wordy (such that I skipped whole pages), didn't like the ending, although it followed through on its premise in a quite fun way. Does it change in the later instalments to my benefit by chance?

The second and third books are somewhat different in tone and structure with the second being half a caper and half a pirate adventure and the third focusing much more on characters and worldbuilding than the caper.

That being said the first is still the best one and if you didn't like it you probably won't like the others.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

CaseFace McGee posted:

Worked for me, thanks! That gives me five credits over the past three months for a total of $6, not bad!

I have spent a grand total of $7.97 on audible and now have 9 books, 2 credits, and 14 dollars worth of store credit.

I almost feel bad about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

supermikhail posted:

Oh, gently caress you! :(

What do you do, keep re-subscribing?

Keep your eyes on slickdeals, Audible is constantly doing these types of deals. They currently have the two free credit thing AND a 10 dollar gift cert for no reason. Also threaten to cancel randomly and they give you free stuff. I got that Matterhorn book Talmonis recommended for free just for threatening to cancel when I went to get the free credit deal. And then I did cancel and now I am three free books richer.

Also I can second jeeves' pick of Flashman, this reading is pretty great. He is just a smarmy, utterly despicable human being and is still not as evil as his British imperial contemporaries.