Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I'd like to ask what the infatuation with Claret and Blue is? There are no less than five clubs in the English league system with those colors (all with the same general design) and one in Ireland as well. Is there some significance of that design to the British (and Irish) or is it simply "Well Aston Villa did it, they're a good team and it looks really good so we'll do it too"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

ibroxmassive posted:

I think, in order, it goes;

Villa have a kit influenced by Rangers and Hearts, which is why they have the lion rampant on their badge.
Burnley copy this design wholesale.
Father of one of West Ham's players wins some kits in a footrace against the Villa team and gives them to the club.

Don't know about the othes.

Here's what I dug up in my sperg-out so far. The South Shields note is because they've died and come back a few times.
code:
Club		est.	colors	league

Aston Villa	1974	1887/90	Premier League

West Ham United	1895	1899	Premier League

Scunthorp	1899	1904	The Championship

Burnley		1882	1910	The Championship

South Shields	lol	1930s	Northern League Division One

Drogheda	1975		Premier League (Ireland)

Trabzonspor	1967		Super Lig (Turkey)

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

ibroxmassive posted:

It happened all the time. Juve's first kit was from Nott's County

second (and current) kit :eng101:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Dear Sergio posted:

it looks pretty solid compared to the current home kit. also those nfl jerseys own.

e: a friend of mine has just shown me the new brazil shirts. holy poo poo they are hideous.

Click here for the full 623x720 image.

Click here for the full 632x720 image.

eugh.

Watched a bit of the match today, even the font used for the squad numbers on the back is ugly.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

thehappyprince posted:

Hope that's true so the chels can put on their other blue kit when blue clashes with blue.

Third one looks like a training top.

Imagine a Chelsea v City game. City's away kit is blue as well

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Transatlantic Gulp posted:

It's so they're aligned with raised arms, eg celebrating a goal or doing the poznan

Is Kompany wearing jeans? I like the kit, one of the few new kits this year with stripes that don't look like poo poo

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

black.lion posted:

^^^^It's gold and it looks gorgeous in my opinion

So are they making new home kits this season too, or just trading out the away kits and moving the midnight-blue to third?

I hope they're replacing the away kit and keeping the current white 3rd kit

e. didn't mean to double post

e2. A 2011/12 gray GK kit is up here

pik_d fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 23, 2011

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Jollzwhin posted:

They accidentally uploaded them to the Umbro blog:

City's press release is a bit silly

mcfc.co.uk posted:

The new Manchester City away kit for the 2011/2012 season was revealed at Monday night’s FA Cup homecoming event at the City of Manchester Stadium.

The inspiration for the Umbro kit is taken from the most famous shirt in the club’s history – the black and red shirt worn in 1969 and 1970 during which time City won the FA Cup, League Cup and European Cup Winners Cup.

To achieve the ‘tailored’ look for the 2011/2012 away shirt, the Umbro kit designers draped black and red fabric over the silhouette of the modern day ‘arms out’ goal celebration.

The shirt is designed so that when a player celebrates a goal or links arms with team mates, the black and red stripe remains consistent. For this reason, there is no seam on the underarm as traditionally stitching can distort the shape and flow of a stripe.
The stripe width on the shirt was inspired by the old 1969 kit. The long sleeve version features an all-black forearm so that there is a unified stripe-look when the players link arms in goal celebrations.

The club crest and sponsor detail is key-lined in gold in order to give standout against the black and red.

Sky blue is featured within the crest so that the away kit always carries a piece of ‘home’.

Black stitching is used on the cuff of the shirt and an equal amount of black and red is featured on the hem.

The new Manchester City away kit is now available for pre-order from the CityStores or online at mcfc.co.uk/shop and will be on sale from 23rd June.

David Blanch, Senior Designer at Umbro, said: “Umbro’s kit designs for City are centred on being modern – not retro. So with this shirt, we married the aesthetic of the 1969 shirt with the modern day ‘arms out’ goal celebration. The result is a shirt which is a celebration of both the future and the past.

“This is a football ‘shirt’ in the truest sense – we have combined modern day football tailoring to end up with a shirt which combines both performance and smartness. Stretch mesh is a key component to allow players to move freely and their skin to breath during matches. Every minor detail within the shirt has a reason for being – nothing is simply ‘there’.

Blanch added: “City fans will be pleased to know there is more black than red within the shirt.”

The shorts are plain black and include the club crest whilst the socks are black and similar to the shirt, feature two bands of red.

Trevor Cairns, Chief Marketing Officer for Umbro, commented: “We know that the black and red ’69 shirt is a fans’ favourite and we are delighted to bring it back but with all the performance benefits for the modern game – especially in what is an FA Cup winning season. This is not a retro shirt but a celebration of the past, present and future of the Club.”
Source

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I don't think the awkward PR people were in charge of the kit design

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

ephex posted:

New Real Madrid shirts officially released:

The armpit vents look horrible as does di Maria's face

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Raptor Jesus posted:

the away kit isnt very inspired.

Neither is "just make it all blue"

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

First look at City's new home shirt, I'm not sure that I'm going to like it one bit

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Umbriago posted:

City's new shirt is a ridiculous gimmick, has a weird collar and is several orders of magnitude worse than the fantastic clean-looking kit they had last season. Then again I'm really into the 'Tailored by Umbro' style, and the new shirts seem like a move away from that.

Yeah im glad the away kit is amazing incase I decide to be slightly less plastic this season, the home kit is definitely worse than last seasons

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

BigStu posted:

That Brazil jersey makes my knees buckle

From the heat when you wear what is basically just a black jersey and shorts?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

At first I thought that box was a book, looks kinda silly.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Ninpo posted:

Let's post this in the correct thread..

:swoon:

I can't tell on my phone, is that a picture of a shirt or actually a shirt?

Pretty good box either way.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

This box design looks a little familiar...

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

The SARS Volta posted:

http://www.football-shirts.co.uk/fans/leaked-usa-nike-home-shirt-2012_13964

Supposedly leaked USA home shirt. We saw this one in some form last year, if memory serves

Eh, it'll grow on me. The away shirt above, not so much

Looks like an integral part of a "Where's Waldo?" Halloween costume.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

calcio posted:

hmm

Where's Mr. Pringle's other eye? :ohdear:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

sweek0 posted:

I don't care what club that is, I need to have that shirt.

Here's some more images: http://www.soccerjerseysclub.com/universitario-new-home-soccer-jersey-2012/

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Modus Trollens posted:

there will never be a goalie kit as ugly as tim howard's

Tim's camo-kit is awesome actually.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

black.lion posted:

:effort:

This one looks like someone threw a towel over his shoulder and

The Anime Knower posted:

yeah but that one's poo poo

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

The Anti-Semite posted:

This.

You all need to get some fake hipster glasses.

And a hat.

Something like this?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Drogadon posted:

Has this been posted before?

I like the home kit, very old-school looking. The away is kinda meh and no pink :(

grvm posted:

The back of the home is awesome, it works the tricolor in. I have a pic somewhere...

So which one is the real kit?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Pissflaps posted:

I imagine an American company makes their kit.

Despite the name being spelled the British way, Under Armour, it is in fact an American company.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Rebel Sports shop in Melbourne is already selling the next City shirt:

pik_d fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 20, 2012

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Ninpo posted:

I was merely commenting on Americans appearing out of nowhere trying to buy a City kit now that they won a thing. United/Chelsea/Arsenal have had people doing it for years.

United/Chelsea/Arsenal have had plastics for years and now City have some too :monocle:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Fooly Cooly 25 posted:

I guess we were prepared for this travesty but it still doesn't make it ok.

What happened to you, Nike? What happened? :eng99:

Punishment for not winning anything important this season probably

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Popehoist posted:

I was terrified when we first dropped Nike for FILA but I'm glad our decision has been vindicated.

Reminder:

Aren't Nike responsible for some of the really loving awful kits this season? Maybe you dodged a bullet there

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

The SARS Volta posted:

Meanwhile, in lovely Fort Lauderdale

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Prepare your eyes

Whats on the back

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Scott Bakula posted:

Buy a knock off. 9 of the countries involved have toxic material in the official tops

Are any club kits affected by this?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Paul Lake has built a beardog with the new city shirt. I'm not sure, was there proof of white shorts already? Looks like that's what the kit will have.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Abu Dave posted:

So the black crest is real. Awesome.

More proof of the black (and white) crest

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TheGoatFeeder posted:

City home shirt has been officially unveiled by Umbro, i'll miss them:

Left: Kompany, club captain - Right: A midget standing on a box so he can be taller than Kompany

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

@City_Watch is claiming that this image came from a non-public link at World Soccer Shop. I don't really believe it but I wouldn't be unhappy in the least.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

el gaviero posted:

i would like to know what this is.

It's Leeds' new shirt. Copy the URL then paste it into your address bar so there's no referrer and it'll show up. Ctrl+F5 if it still doesn't.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

flyingkiwi posted:

You just had to copy City's black crest didn't you.

That's kind of odd actually, why would they do that?

And those are some quality looking boxers.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Akileese posted:

That looks pretty drat ugly honestly. The blue/black stripes looks weird and the shirt itself just has too much blue on it. Plus, the lighter shade of the stripes look denim.

I think I can like the overall design but the lighter blue sponsor and crest just isn't doing it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Fat Guy Sexting posted:

Does anybody know what goalie gloves Pepe Reina wears? From googling I know he used to wear Uhlsport Cerebrus' or Bionik X-Change, but with sponsorship and the like it's probably changed, and Uhlsport don't have him as a 'brand ambassador' on their website.

At the bottom of their main gloves page it does say "Worn by Liverpool's Pepe Reina, see them at Anfield!" and on the 2012 Collection page it says "Also Uhlsport promotional partner Pepe Reina (FC Liverpool / Spain) wears the new Cerberus Absolutgrip Handbett!" so it looks like he still wears them.