Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I've been on a bit of Steven King binge lately (Joyland, Blaze, Hearts in Atlantis and Doctor Sleep) over the last 8-12 weeks and just discovered this thread. I liked all four of the books I'm only on page 40. I just checked out Under the Dome from the library and plan on starting that one soon.

I think that King, even at his worst, is such a good writer that even when the story hangs up or hits snags, the prose saves it most of the time, compared to people like Koontz and Kellerman who, even when they have good stories, the writing is so lovely that it drags me right out of the experience. Speaking of Koontz, I've never heard anyone mention Intensity which was the first book I read by him, I really enjoyed and suckered me into thinking the dude could write.

I'm surprised already, 40 pages in, at the hate for some of King's stuff I really liked (Cujo, Gerald's Game, Rose Madder, Thinner, Deloroes Clairborne but agree about some of the other stuff being pretty bad like Desperation, The Regulators. My problems with the books of his I enjoy the least or that they just get too far out and unbelievable. Suspension of disbelief is absolutely HUGE when it comes to making me scared and way too often, King's poo poo just comes completely off the rails.

I get the novella collections mixed up sometimes but love those because the great thing about them is that by the time the story turns out to suck, if it does, it's over. What was the one with the finger coming out of the sink? And the one with the porta-potty, because, good lord, those hosed me up. I think Everything's Eventual was the weakest of those, going by memory but, like I said, I get the short story ones mixed up

For all the talk about his film adaptations, he's had a lot of really good ones (Stand By Me, Delores Clairborne, Misery, The Green Mile, The Shining, Salem's Lot, Shawshank, The Mist, Carrie...Christine, Secret Window and parts of Creepshow and Pet Cemetary were not bad either. Of course there's been a ton of poo poo too.

I find myself coming back to King so often, especially when I'm stuck for something to read and, since he's so prolific and I read so much. There's always something new there for me that I always I feel I can trust. Even when he's not on top of his game, he's still good.

In case we're still doing this:

Worst: Cell by far. The first 50 pages or so were intense but it went off the rails really early. Hearts in Atlantis left me feeling weird and I wasn't sure what to make of it. I still don't. No idea they made a movie from of it or how that could even work. The Regulators was just ridiculous. Desperation started out great and then people were looking for rocks in caves and God knows what else. No. Never read Lisey's Story, or The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon based on the recommendations of this thread or any of the Dark Tower stuff because I'm not huge on Western Science Fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

syscall girl posted:

You liked Gerald's Game but not Desperation?

I liked Desperation until it turned into "everything is magic and mythical". Around the time they got out of the jail and went to the caves and the ancient mines and Tak and blah blah blah...

syscall girl posted:

Clearly you'll bring some needed conflict to the thread as you explain how this is possible.

Also who is dissing Cujo, Rose Madder, Thinner and Dolores Claiborne?

Glad to help. It's a cool thread. A lot of people seem to rag on the titles I mentioned, Cujo and Rose Madder in particular, but like I said, I'm only 40 pages or so in to the thread.

syscall girl posted:

The finger in the toilet was in Nightmares and Dreamscapes.

Thanks. What was that loving outhouse/port-o-potty story from? Because Jesus Christ that was unsettling to read and almost made me nauseous.

syscall girl posted:

Lisey's Story I liked but unless you can get the pop-up book probably skip The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon.

There you go. From what I can tell, Lisey's Story is up there with Cell as the worst of the worst but you liked it, so I dunno.

I liked Gerald's Game because it was largely believable and a bit more grounded in reality for the most part than a lot of King's later work. It was just creepy and rooted and the supernatural took a back seat for once. Woman wakes up from a sex tryst in a BDSM situation and can't move. "How did I get here? How do I get out? Holy poo poo." That's the stuff that scares me and one of the reasons I enjoyed Cujo so much. It was just a book about coincidences, a child's natural fear of monsters and being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

If King wrote Cujo now, the dog's collar would be a magic ghost talisman named "Tic" and the bat who bit him would be a vampire taking a shape while Tad would have psychic powers and telekinesis. Then a giant spider/crab would crawl out from under Joe's garage and eat the dog to become more powerful or something.

I don't mind the ghosts/supernatural/psychic stuff but sometimes King jams it into where doesn't belong or fit thematically. Plus, I don't believe in ghosts, vampires or monsters so those stories he writes scare me less. I thought Rose Madder struck a nice balance between the two because the painting and the Minotaur were clearly metaphors for the the pastoral garden she wanted to escape to and the abusive husband who won't let her but most King fans seem to hate that loving book.

Also, as much as I liked IT, it's a tad overrated for the same reasons.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

About halfway into Under the Dome and I'm really liking it so far. Based on what I read here I was lead to believe the pacing was slow but far from it really. I thought the pacing in 11/22/63 was far worse but I liked that book also. Re-reading reviews of that one reminded me of how much I skimmed through it or skipped entirely. My biggest issue with Dome so far is that it's spread a little too thin - too many characters - and I find myself forgetting who this and that person are from time to time.

Another thing I tend to do with King novels (and most novels really) is assign actors and celebrities to the characters as I read. Anyone else do that? Get a picture of a person in your head right off the bat and never shake it? For some reason I do it with King more often than i do with other books. Right now I've got James Dickey, author of Deliverance and who played the sheriff in the film, as Big Jim and Steve Zahn, who played Davis in Treme, as Dale Barbara.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

bollig posted:

Does it stand up to the book? Are you being ironic about Insomnia? Or is it good, with a good ending? Is that the book that that movie is based off of?

Which one, The Stand or Cujo? Neither stand up to the books but I always thought Cujo (the book and the film) were underrated. The Stand TV series was pretty bleak and corny and wasted a good cast.

I didn't care for Insomnia at all. It seemed to fall into a long string of books where everything just went crazy and unbelievable for some reason. I find King's at his best when he's relatively grounded in reality. Maybe that's why I like some of the books that seem to be universally loathed more enjoyable than other people do.

A childhood friend of mine, who turned me on to King at a young age, and who I recently caught up with said the same thing. That his books are becoming less and less believable and, hence, less scary somehow.

I finished Under the Dome and the only thing I disliked about it was the alien technology/computer box bullshit. Took me out of the story entirely.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

cheerfullydrab posted:

What exactly do you all like about stories of civilization/society/everything collapsing? What specifically makes those appeal to you? I'm not asking in an aggressive or insulting way, just a curious one.

When it's well written, it's the little things. The stuff you take take for granted that's suddenly gone, how it effects your life and the small details that we take for granted and the things we do out of habit that are no longer there. The day to day habits you wouldn't ordinarily think about when you picture an entire societal collapse.

It's a bit like when you experience a power outage and still habitually run around flicking light switches, trying to turn on the TV and attempting to get online. When it's well written, Armageddon shows us how thin the line between a functioning society and utter collapse really is. That's one of the things that's so great about The Stand. It wasn't a nuclear war or a natural disaster with explosions and fire everywhere. Everyone just got sick and Robutussin wasn't cutting it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

juliuspringle posted:

Is it possible to get a list of his books in order from most to least realistic?

Off the top of my head, most realistic are Delores Clairborne, The Body (Stand by Me), Cujo, Secret Window, Gerald's Game, Joyland, Misery, The Long Walk, Blaze and The Stand. Maybe The Dead Zone, Rose Madder and Dr. Sleep which never get too far out there.

Some of the others depend on your capacity for suspension of disbelief relating to ghosts and the supernatural (The Shining, Pet Sematary, Duma Key, Carrie, Christine, Firestarter) UFO's (Under the Dome, Dreamcatcher), monsters (Salem's Lot, Cycle of the Werewolf, Cell) time travel (11/22/63), demons (IT, Desperation), etc. so take it all with a grain. Like others have said, the collections of short stories are probably the best except for Everything's Eventual which I would skip.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

So I just picked up Duma Key and Black House. Which one should I read first?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Doltos posted:

Did anyone ever read Nightmare and Dreamscapes? I'm trying to get through this short story collection but most of these stories are just... blugh.

I enjoyed it, especially "A Very Tight Place".

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Does Duma Key pick up eventually? I'm enjoying the style, the mood and the writing of it, and can sense a payoff building, but it's a little slow (250 pages in) and I'm worried I won't get the "holy poo poo" moments the story is hinting at.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

juliuspringle posted:

As far as Koontz goes there is Fear Nothing and Seize the Night (the two Christopher Snow books) a poo poo ton of books about Odd Thomas that starts with Odd Thomas, Intensity (which was REALLY good), Soul(Sole?) Survivor(s?), Phantoms(Ben Affleck is in the movie version), The Taking (Has all three of his endings in book somehow)...

Intensity was the first book I read by Koontz and it was great. the TV movie is OK too. It took me three or four books after that one to figure out the guy sucks.

Just finished Duma Key and...man (muchacho)...I don't know anymore with King. I liked it well enough and the writing is great as always but also, as always, the mother fucker just went off the rails for no good reason at all. He had the foundation of a really scary story but then spiraled off into Aquatic sea vampires, giant frogs, silver tipped harpoons, lawn jockeys, alligators and china figures. It would have been so much better had it gone off in the predictable way I'd pictured in my head. What ever became of the unsold paintings anyway?. I know that sounds dumb to say but what I'd already predicted in my head would have been scarier.

I think my problem is I can't remember the last time King flat out scared the gently caress out of me; made me afraid to turn the page. I think it was maybe in one of his short story volumes. The last three or four books I've read of his (Joyland, 11/22/63, Under the Dome and Duma Key) were all well and good, but none of them scared me. Maybe it's because I'm older or getting used to his style or something but I don't know. I feel like he needs to simplify his stories and ground them a bit. Tighten them up.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

Well, when the main character saw the door open and the sand and grit and stuff on the stairs and saw, I think it was the two girls? I gotta admit that made the hair stand up on my arms. But then again I also enjoyed the novel concept: some nameless monster that can only be contained by water (freshwater? seawater? can't remember) and the story of the tragedy it wrought on the family was pretty sad.

Yeah, it had its moments or creepiness and forboding. It just became needlessly complex once he'd already established the narrative. Like I said, what I predicted would happen would actually have been much scarier, even if I'd seen it coming.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Koontz chat: I've read exactly two Koontz novels I didn't hate: One is False Memories, which is quite a mindfuck even if the villian is a Hannibal Lecter carbon copy, and the one with the guy whose whole family are some kinda narcissistic pshycopaths... the book with the polished dinosaur turds. I seem to remember it having an interesting twist.

Read Intensity. I couldn't put the fucker down.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Are any of King's newer short story collections worth checking out? I think the last one I picked up was Everything's Eventual, which felt a bit uneven. Not expecting anything to be as good as Night Shift, but I've always liked King's short fiction more than his novels so I'm curious if he's done anything good lately.

Everything's Eventual
was pretty bad and the worst of the lot as far as his short story collections go. I've enjoyed all of the rest of them except I always get them mixed up.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Dr Sleep...

Any thoughts of editing in general relating to King?

I liked Dr. Sleep well enough but you're right about the editing and lack of planning. Maybe King should try a book where he works out the ending first and then writes backwards towards it. No one's going to edit King too heavily because they know that no matter what he write, it'll sell a million copies so "why gently caress with the cash cow"?

It does bug me how good of a writer he really is but, especially as he gets older, he's become a horrible plotter of stories. In Under the Dome, suddenly out of no where there are aliens . I just finished Black House and, again, it was fine and well and good and all but drat if it didn't just...I don't know...spiral?

When he collaborates with Straub, how do they do it? Take turns? There were parts ofBlack House where I could tell "King wrote this" and "Straub wrote that" but I'm still curious about the process.

I think I'm going to take a break from King for a while. Unless anyone can convince me to read The Talisman or the Dark Tower books.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

syscall girl posted:

Please read The Talisman.

So if I was luke warm on Black House due to how much it switched back and forth between a serial "whodunnit" and all that weird poo poo with the factory powered with child labor, the dude with the long chin and one eye, the old man crawling down the toilet, ESP, the talking crow, the dog that turned people into jelly once he bit them , do you think I'd still like The Talisman? The best parts of Black House, to me, were the parts with the media dude, the bikers, the issues with cops, etc. The characters and the writing got me through it and less the things I spoilered above.

That book (Talisman) is a big bastard and I'd hate to slog through it just for the sake of it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

rypakal posted:

His superman rant is the best story he's told since Dogma.

That loving punchline floors me every time

His Prince story trumps everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZZomOd9BeY

edit: gently caress. Why is this in the Stephen King thread? For a second I thought I'd hosed up and got my tabs mixed up.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Damo posted:

A little over 500 pages into IT now, and... I finally get the thread title. Yay.

It's good so far, I like it, though I can't say it's been really scary or super interesting either. I mean, it hasn't grabbed me like The Stand did by this point. It's a real slow burn. I saw the movie when I was a kid a ton of times, so that probably doesn't help. However, I hear the ending is quite different in the novel, so that's good. Reading the novel though, it strikes me that the movie version was actually pretty dang true to the book up to this point, surprisingly. Although, like I said before, I know it likely doesn't end with a lame fight against a giant spider. Or at least I hope it doesn't.

Oh no. Not again.

It's been a long time since I read it (IT), but I honestly found it (IT) to be a real page turner. The book is better than the movie but yes, it ends with a giant spider fight.[spoiler] and also [spoiler] add in a gang rape . So maybe you should quIT while you're ahead.

syscall girl posted:

The Mist is pretty good.

It is. It's better than the book, IMO, and one of the few things I can stand Thomas Jane in.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The long Walk

E: If you think that is farfetched, consider how early this book was and that King was experimenting with genres at the time. All of the (early) Bachman books are very different in tone, subject and genre. Roadwork is pretty much a serious, straight literary novel with a violent climax.

Seriously, think about (or re-read) The Long Walk with the idea of it being an allegory of life and let see if it doesn't roughly fit.

I think it's a very good analysis and I'd never really thought about it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Forrest Gump is a garbage movie for garbage people and the moral of the story is "trying to take some sort of control over your own life makes you get AIDS and die".

What? The moral of the story is simple:

quote:

I don't know if we each have a destiny, or if we're all just floating around accidental-like on a breeze, but I, I think maybe it's both. Maybe both is happening at the same time.

It's about life and death, what we take seriously, who we love and why, loss and gain, priorities, passion and the choices we make. Also about how the choices we make and the circumstances we're born into don't always jibe. Sometimes life us deals a poo poo hand and then sometimes it makes us stronger. Not everything is within our control. Forrest takes control of his life as best as he can with what he has and makes simple choices based on the things he thinks are important (his mother, his friends and his true love).

It may not be for everyone, but I don't know what kind of cold-hearted cynic you have to be to call this film "garbage". I'm as cynical as it gets and this film makes me tear up every time I watch it.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 24, 2014

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

juliuspringle posted:

Well Gump WAS The Running Man.

And a magic retard. Sorry for the Gump rant/derail. I honestly thought I was in a different thread.

On topic, I just got Lisey's Story from the library and have heard bad things about it. Then again, I liked Gerald's Game, Rose Madder and a few others that seem to be universally loathed so maybe it'll be OK.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Talmonis posted:

I gave Everything's Eventual a try.

Yeah, that's by far the worst one. I tend to get them mixed up and confuse one with the other but Everything's Eventual is the only one I remember (because it stood out for being terrible). I guess what I'm saying is that any of the short story collections besides that one are pretty good so read one of those.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Please don't read Lisey's Story.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I really liked Lisey's Story but I could have done with most of the plot going away. I didn't care about the psycho that got the plot started, but the parts between the author and his wife/dead family/weird alternate world were some really good poo poo.

Well, poo poo. Now I just don't know. I started Lisey's Story but stopped reading it and returned it to the library. Not because it sucked or it didn't but only because I haven't had spare time to read lately and never had a chance to find out one way or the other. 50 pages in I couldn't find a problem with it. The way Ugly In The Morning describes it recalls my issues with Dark House and The Talisman. Now I'm not sure whether to go check it out again when I have more time to read.

What's everyone's main problem with Gerald's Game? I mean criticism beyond "it sucked"?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I finally watched the "It" miniseries this weekend and

kenny powerzzz posted:

What. A. Peice. Of. poo poo.

It had it's moments and I love the book. Tim Curry was great throughout and I thought the parts involving the children were pretty OK but overall it felt like exactly what it was: a made for TV miniseries with a modest budget. I didn't like it all and thought that the above average acting talent was wasted. Pretty cheesy and disappointing since I'd heard good things about it.

And that ending had me laughing my rear end off.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Yeah, really cruddy.... rather wooden acting...

That's what got me more than anything.

Harry Anderson, Annette O'Toole, Jon Ritter, Richard Thomas, Richard Masur and Dennis Christopher are hardly A-listers but I've seen them all turn in good work in some solid films. The script seemed OK enough so it's hard to blame it on that but gently caress that was some bad acting all the way around. O'Toole probably gave the best performance (aside from Curry, naturally). Seth Green and Tim Reid were pretty good.

It felt like they only did one take for each scene (which may very well be the case). I don't know what sort of budget they had.

This would make a good 2 - 2.5 hour feature film if someone went about it right. Get Guillermo del Toro, John Carpenter or maybe even Terry Gilliam to direct. Someone with the proper budget and the right sort of vision. Cast Willam Dafoe or Michael Shannon as Pennywise - or even let Curry do it again since that's the one thing they got right.

Delores Claiborne is awesome, yes. I'm bed-ridden due to a bad back, in the Halloween mood and thought a four hour IT marathon would do me some good since I'd never seen it.

SHIT.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Since we're on the subject of King and movies/miniseries, I found a good A.V. Club article about it.

http://www.avclub.com/article/why-horror-stephen-kings-words-dont-translate-well-210403

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I really have to disagree regarding the Shining. I do not like Kubrick's film at all. He's done several other films I like, but the Shining is absolutely not part of that group. I will, in all seriousness, marathon the miniseries before watching that film ever again. I'm not saying the miniseries is wonderful and amazing, though I much prefer Weber's Jack over Nicholson's, I'm saying I can't stand that film.

What didn't you like about it?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I haven't seen it mentioned but there was a lengthy King interview in a recent Rolling Stone that's worth checking out just to hear hin say "Hemmingway sucks". Here it is:

Nice illustration too.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/stephen-king-the-rolling-stone-interview-20141031

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

Thank you so much for sharing this. My opinion of SK was high before, but now...

How can I put this? He shows so much intelligence and at the same time he admits he doesn't really know much. Awesome interview, a must read.

Thanks. I liked it too and, again, that illustration was rather bad rear end. He seems to have the right combination of humble and hubris, meaning he knows what he knows and admit what he doesn't. He knows what he likes and what he's good at but doesn't pretend to be an expert on the rest. He readily admits his faults, his anger and his shortcomings while at the same time acknowledging his strengths and recognizing them. He knows he's good but admits Dreamcatcher and Tommyknockers were poo poo.

He really is an artist in the truest sense of the word and I thought that came through in the interview.

I want to pick up Lisey's Story again and read it. What I managed to read seemed fine I just got busy and had to return it to the library. Even though so many people in this thread hate it he said it's his favorite, which really took me aback.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Joyland was cool but I thought it could have played more into the "spooky fun house" cliche, as dumb as that sounds. I actually thought it needed a bit more cliche elements since that it was paying homage to.

King set a real flavor with it though. You could practically smell the stale popcorn and the salt air, hear the distant clanks, roars and screams from the amusement park and the chilly ocean cold when the off-season rolled around.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Agreed that 4 films seems a bit much. A trilogy dealing with each act would be best, but then again if they can milk The Hobbit into a trilogy I guess that's the trend.

I can't believe so many people here take that ending so literally. I was like 13 or 14 years old when I read The Stand and even then I understood metaphors, symbolism, perspective, and knew it wasn't actually The Hand of God. The whole god damned book is a metaphor for the apocalypse and the book of revelations.

Seconding also the idea for an It trilogy, but who can top Tim Curry as Pennywise? Willam DaFoe? Maybe the dude who played Zod in Man of Steel? poo poo, just get Curry to reprise the role.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I thought the 70's TV version of Salem's Lot was pretty OK. Better than a lot of King adaptations I'd say.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

High Warlord Zog posted:

Go with Salem's Lot. It's short-ish but has that epic King sprawl, lots of great scares and is pretty representative of King's body of work (if he doesn't like it, then Stevie probably isn't for him).

If he's a modern teenager, have him read "The Long Walk". Should cheer him right up just in time for high school.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

joepinetree posted:

I was never a big fan of The Stand, which to me is the worst of King's major works. I've defended it when people clearly didn't get the ending, and i can appreciate what he was trying to do, but it never moved me the way that, say, The Shining did.

The Stand might be a tad overrated and I'm in agreement that it's not King's best book but the ending is the least of my problems with it. I got Revival for Christmas and will dig into it when I find the mood (meaning once I get through reading George Clinton's biography, also received for Christmas). Seems reviews are mixed (Revival) but I'll decide for myself. I enjoy King's more grounded and less supernatural stuff so it may be up my alley.

What do you list amongst King's "major works", out of curiosity? How you do separate minor from major? Some of the best things he's written have been short stories after all.

Aside: Regarding The Shining, is it cool to like both as well as the movie or do I have to choose one?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

DannyTanner posted:

Watch Room 237.

No. Don't do this.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Joose Caboose posted:

Just found Bachman Books at my library so got a chance to read Rage. I knew nothing going into it except that it was out of print (didn't even know it was about a school shooting). But that was a pretty intense and really good short book. I'd recommend it to anyone that can find it.

Rage is pretty great but suffers from knowing that over the years it's become non-fiction and almost common place. I doubt it would shake up a kid who read it at the age I did where a school shooting was almost impossible.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

You know that was never right? Kids had already started doing them in the 1960s.

No I did not.

edit:

oldpainless posted:

Don't read regulators, please.

Also this.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 3, 2015

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

franco posted:

Yeah, it is me. I am the SK thread pariah because I LOVED The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon AND Gerald's Game. Both had me gripped. Am I broken, thread? :ohdear:

Nope. I liked Gerald's Game quite a bit. I haven't read TGWLTG. I recently bought Lisey's Story since King said it's his favorite. I checked it out of the library and got about 15% of the way through without figuring out why so many people hate it. There's a lot of King books in this thread that get a lot of hate (Cujo, Rose Madder, Gerald's Game) so lately I figure if the thread hates it, I'll dig it.

I got your back.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Revival's been on my shelf since Christmas and now you guys have me psyched for it. I remembered I had a paperback of Lisey's Story laying around that I never read so I re-started that instead.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

I like Straub and have read most of the books listed and I still think the first 100 pages of Black House are dreadfully boring.

I haven't read much Straub but Black House was a chore to read. The really jarring thing about it was how easy it was to tell who wrote what and I didn't think the styles meshed well at all. It was reading an exquisite corpse.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Ugh. Again, I feel compelled to explain.

This book, like The Talisman, was a collaboration with Peter Straub.
This is a thread about King, so maybe you haven't read Straub except for The Talisman.

Older Straub works are chilling and amazing, and every bit as good as old King.

One device he uses is the device in Black House where he explains the geography of the work and also introduces characters and he does it in a very personal "author to reader" way. King does it, too; but this sequence is pure Straub.

That doesn't make it bad. It makes it boring to SK fans but normal to Straub fans. It's not poo poo, it just isn't en media res. Have a little patience, for fucks' sake.

Personally, I think King gave Straub the intro because he knew he was going to spend the next whole novel taking away the original narrative, and Straub's naunce; and replacing it with Dark Tower poo poo and loving over The Talisman forever, by stealing a great collaboration and turning it into another King mythos (Dark Tower) book when it started out as a much better collaboration that touched us all.

Don't like Straub? How about you read Shadowland, or Floating Dragon? Do you have more patience? Then read the Blue Rose books, or Julia, or Mr. X, or Ghost Story, or?

making GBS threads on the first pages of Black House is like comparing the novel to a Christopher Cross song and making Straub sing echoes.

So how do feel about Peter Straub?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I've tried to read "Ghost Story" and "The Talisman" on a few occasions but found myself bored to death with and drowning in the over-wrought language. Reading Straub reminded me of the few times I've tried to read "Frankenstein", where I know I'm supposed to like it but just can't get into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

I think that is incredibly harsh and undeserved.

Black House was quite a slog to get through. I skimmed quite a bit of it and I don;t normally do that with any book.