Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

oldpainless posted:

Does Pennywise kill any adults other than Mellon in the beginning of IT?

It kills a guard while busting Henry out of prison, I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

RCarr posted:

I’m reading Pet Semetary for the first time and the book gets really corny once Gage comes back. Like it would be much creepier to just have a soulless little kid wandering around, than have him be a mean murder zombie. Really disappointing.

Yeah. I think the first 90 percent or so is one of my favourite King novels, but the ending is a real case of him not taking his own writing advice, i.e what you imagined waiting behind the door is always scarier than what appears when you open it.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

I dunno if it's quite the best one, but Christine should be on any top 5 King lists imo.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I've got 2 free credits on Audible and might get a Stephen King book. I loved Steven Webber reading IT.

Any recommendations? I was going to pick The Stand and 'Salem's Lot. I've seen The Stand TV series in the 90s and liked it but I've never read or seen any version of 'Salem's Lot.

I'd definitly go for Salems lot. I personally don't really love the Stand, it's got some great parts but as a whole it's not that satisfying. Most people seem to rank it highly among kings books though, so this might be a me thing. Since we're talking audiobooks I'd like to recommend Christine actually, I think the narrator really suits the story.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Untrustable posted:

I have never listened to an audiobook. I just don't get what I'm supposed to do. When I'm reading my eyes have something to do, my hands are holding the Kindle. With an audiobook do I just stare off into space? I feel like I would fall asleep. I sound much older than my 30 years thinking these things but I don't get it. I should try it, but I'm serious: when I'm listening to an audiobook, what do I do?

Also non-weird audiobook related things: Joe Hill writes good books and good stories. About halfway through with Full Throttle and I've enjoyed every story, especially Late Returns.

It's nice when you're walking/commuting/cleaning up around the house, etc.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Hill isn't for me, I think. Nos4a2 was the best one of the ones I've read (horns and hearth shaped box being the others) , but even that I'd only rank at mid-level king imo

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Krispy Wafer posted:

Stephen King had no idea how fast 4mph was. He mentions a 4mph walking speed in another book (can’t remember which, maybe Salem’s Lot). If they made a Long Walk movie where the competitors were walking that fast it’d look ridiculous.

Any time an author gives any sort of measurement or anything like that it's wrong, and you need to subsitute it with something that makes sense. It's wierd that it's like that, you'd think there's so much fiction in the world that they'd sometimes just slip up and get it right by accident, but no, they're dedicated to whatever it is they're doing here.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

It's good to put gorilla glue in your hair btw, depending on what you want out of it. Obviously it's not for everyone, but what is?

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

scary ghost dog posted:

for sure. if reacher was in chesters mill when the dome came down big jim wouldve been completely hosed. in fact i would really like to read that version of the book

that would have been cool

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Lester Shy posted:

I got halfway through If It Bleeds and figured I should stop to read The Outsider first. I know I sound like a broken record but man what a great first half and what a lame second half. I wasn't expecting a straightforward mystery novel, but once it's clear something supernatural is going on, you're like okay well it has to be a shapeshifter, and then it is, with no real bells or whistles, and you have to spend 200 pages for the characters to come to the same conclusion. Does the TV show do anything interesting with the story?

The tv show also starts stronger than it ends

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

also why is the monster such a weird anal pryg about library etiquette and poo poo, like i get its supposed to worm itself into society and poo poo but i feel like people would have picked up on it way faster then the sheriff did. idk

as you said, the why is it's a bunch of different ideas mashed together, and a pernickety librarian was one of them

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

BiggerBoat posted:

Listening to the Kingcast podcast the last few days

What's everyone's general problem with Rose Madder? I read a good long time ago and then did a re-read after I heard it was among King's least regarded efforts, especially here, and I thought it held up really well. Did the same thing with Gerald's Game, which I also quite liked (twice) and really dug the Netflix film.

I think Rose would make for a good adaptation in the right hands and one of the things the podcast touched on is how much it would resonate NOW; what with corrupt cops, what we know about Me Too and all sorts of things that speak to the modern sense of everall desperation among the powerless, particularly with abused women, and the corruption of the people in power who are supposedly there to protect them.

The supernatural elements could be toned down - and should for a movie I think - but I thought RM was quite the page turner.

One of my problems is with how Rose gets to decide what her husband is allowed to remember, and the narrative sort of presents that as fine because it's for his own good, even though she's doing it in large part because she's afraid he'll leave her.

And she doesn't even know if the process will poison him or not iirc.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Leave posted:

Rose Madder is another one of his books that I really like that a lot of people seem down on. I think Rosie is a good character, and Norman is incredibly scary to me.

Rose Madder gets weird when Rosie edits her boyfriends memories without his consent. The narration even points out that for as much as it's supposed to be for his own good she's also specifically motivated by the fear that he might leave her if he remembers what happened, and goes through with it even though she's worried it might kill him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Leave posted:

That's one thing I like about it; Rosie is a very damaged person, and is trying to help Bill, but she's become selfish. I think it's like part of the mark that Rose Madder has left upon her, an eldritch influence that has helped Rosie Real grow, and not necessarily in a good way.

Yeah, but I never felt the story was really trying to say that so much as the problem was presented as her becoming possessed or whatever. And when they fix that it's treated as now everythings fine? Except it never goes back to confront how he might not actually have chosen this himself.

I dunno. I'm just always weirded out by fiction where they kinda breeze past the use of mind control or memory wipes and every type of thing like that.