Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
As many people have said Dreamcatcher. The only time I think I even slightly enjoyed it was the short sentence or two relating back to some random graffiti and IT. Or maybe it was another book. If it was i officially did not enjoy a single second of that book.

I possibly might have said the cell but I had read a few reviews saying how increasingly bad it got so only end up reading the first half dozen chapters or so.
As people said it started off pretty good. Some classic B grade everything going to poo poo king in the first chapter. After reading it i really thought it could of been a really good book, then it just started to get really bad and I stopped reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Different seasons would also be a pretty good place to start. four reasonably long stories that includes Rita Hayworth & the Shawshank redemption and The body which I think are two of the best of his works. Not that much horror but very good writing.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Malaleb posted:

The coke machine would obviously be scary in real life, but I didn't find it that frightening in the context of the book. In comparison, it seemed like kind of a merciful way to die.

I didn't think it was trying to be as much scary as just a way to showing how batshit crazy everything had gone. Which is the kind of death kings usually pretty good at, usually to the point characters themselves have a hard time believing their dying because its just happening in such a god drat stupid way. Particularly character who came into the insanity half way through the book, sort of kings way of acknowledging yes things have gotten pretty drat stupid but its horror and people are still dying and this is what you signed up for when you started reading it.

seems to go well with the corny b-movie feel king seems to love to go for sometimes.
Although that still wasn't his best book (although no where near his worst)

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Zimadori Zinger posted:

Really all that happened was he started to twitch a bit earlier and lose his composure when talking to Ray, then out of nowhere he just up and died from exhaustion, fainting. Pretty anticlimactic given all the set up he got as an antagonist for Ray, and as a character really.

Like I said, aside from that I enjoyed the hell out of the book.

I liked the anticlimactic nature of his death. It made it seem so very sudden and very stupid. He seemed like he could just keep going and going and going, and you just felt there was no way ray could win against him, then suddenly he's dead. To me it made all his plans seem so pointless and childish. Before that he seemed almost superhuman, but no he just slipped away and bought his ticket just like everyone else.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Seem to recall King saying Rage was one of the earliest stories he wrote, and that he thinks it's pretty much just nihilistic teenage trash now that he's very much not proud of.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

lines posted:

I think he was on the booze, gave up booze, got into blow + other 80s drugs, gave up blow, stayed sober until his accident and then ended up quite dependent on opiates for a period of time, then managed to kick them again and as far as I'm aware has been sober since. But I'm not sure on the precise timescales.

Pretty sure he was on booze and coke at the same time at some point. Remember some story he told where he was talking about having a trash bin full of empty beer bottles and bloody tissues or some such.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Pretty sure cocaine was good for you in the 80's before they moved to the new recipe with the high fructose corn syrup and what not.

90's kids got screwed over once again :argh:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Leave posted:

I've never seen it phrased that way before, but I like it; King's old stuff, on occasion, is just fuckin mean. I think that's part of why Desperation clicks with me; God is cruel, and pre-accident King taught me that.

Yeah, I think he's very good at having a good Character doing all the right and smart things get killed and for it not to feel cheap, or like it was done for shock value, but more just the character was living in a mean world and well poo poo just happens sometimes.

Probably goes without saying but man would it suck to live in pretty much any Stephen King book.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

he did an entire book on the subject called Electronic Life in the early 80s. It actually taught me a lot when I was an early teenager, despite being outdated not long after it came out.

I love reading books from the 80's and early 90's predicting where technology and "cyber-culture" were going to go. electronic music/raves are actually mentioned far more than i would of thought but it does make sense.

Such optimistic times!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Pistol_Pete posted:

...to his bad behaviour: tipping over gravestones and stealing mail, the young varmint!

Doesn't he know the youth of today steal gravestones and tip over mailboxes! Those drat mixed up youth of today what it to become of them!!!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Davros1 posted:

Maybe if it's a motor home?

Also like unfortunately it's not rare for people to live out of there cars. Particular now days.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

0 rows returned posted:

has stephen king done any pulpy scifi horror other than the tommyknockers?

i ask because i just finished the tommyknockers and really liked it

Short story wise maybe "the Jaunt" only one off the top of my head that's "sci-fi", and I guess the end is pulpy in an old EC comics way. I feel like he must of done another at some point but can't really think of any others off the top of my head.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Oh and The Running Man is good pulpy Dystopian sci-fi if that counts?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

oldpainless posted:

I feel like when it comes to movie adaptations Stephen King is always incredibly wrong with his opinion

He's always been a big fan of all of Frank Darabont's adaptations, so like he's not 100% wrong about all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Android Blues posted:

I like the little trick King pulls in Thinner of making you think Billy Halleck is a down-on-his-luck schmuck just by surrounding him with marginally worse people than he is, then reminding you that no, he actually sucked all along in the ending.

Hey, it's arrested development!