Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l--4gu4CQBM

I'm sure I'm an rear end in a top hat for saying so but things seem really off to me and I can't quite put my finger on why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Lester Shy posted:

Unless I missed it, there's nothing in the trailer to indicate that the story is about a pandemic.

they might be downplaying that in re: current events

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

joepinetree posted:

Based purely on the trailer I don't really like the casting of Marsden and Goldberg, but Skarsgard looks really good as Flagg.

Yeah, I think it's the casting that's got me feeling strange about it.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1831804/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

Edit - I dont even see the trashcan man.

This is giving me some Under the Dome vibes which is extremely uncool. I hope I'm wrong.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 12, 2020

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

IbrahimSom posted:

Should I read or watch "Dr. Sleep"?

I can't recommend the novel. The parts where it focuses on Danny dealing with his memories of Jack and the Overlook are great (King's understanding of addiction is still second to none, even this late in his game), but the actual plot of the novel kind of blows and the villains are cartoons more than people.

That said, I didn't see the movie, but I heard it was better than it had any right to be, especially as it works as a sequel to both the Kubrick movie and the novel.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Yeah, (edit: Starkey) think tells somebody 'Rome Falls' which was code for 'gently caress the world, open your global vials, we can't let anyone find out it was America'.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 10, 2020

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

You know I honestly think King books aren't for younger people and not because of the horror or the violence but because of his views on fat people and sex. Also falsely presenting the career of "writer" as something you can pay your bills with.

Were they ever for younger people? He made his bones on being the guy who got his books banned from high school libraries. I dont know where he sits now in youth pop culture, but back when I was younger it seemed like older kids read him for the same reason they bought Antichrist Superstar or snuck in to Friday the 13th (that is, minor and normal teenage rebellion).

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Exact same here, except it was 6th grade and (appropriately enough, I guess) The Stand. That was the year before the 94 miniseries and I remember being totally hyped for it.

Not to ramble on about it too much, but I think now that reading Stephen King was probably my first experience of adult-level thinking. All the horror stuff aside, King writes characters that are real in a way that most other writers can't, because he goes down into some uncomfortable places, like Larry's relationship with his mother and the parallel relationship with Rita (not Oedipal, exactly, but both of them based in guilt and comfort), or Jack's alcoholism and self-loathing in The Shining. His characterization is great in his ensemble books like the Tommyknockers or Under the Dome, but it's loving incredible in his deep-dives like The Shining or Misery.

The big caveat here of course is that every time I just wrote character/characterization, you probably prefaced it with 'white male alcoholic artist with problems' and you'd be exactly right. Everything else is hit or miss (and when he misses, like Detta, holy lol). But he was good enough to make a hell of a living at it, and I'm glad he ended up as a (mostly) well respected author in his twilight. He deserves it.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 15, 2020

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Owling Howl posted:

Things happened and they were weird or creepy and so on but if they hadn't happened the story would still have ended the exact same way.

That's not a bad general criticism of the guy's longer novels, really. You can cut a ton of subplots out that don't affect the story (but do rob it of things like thematic resonance). Like, I wonder if the Kid will be in this take of the miniseries. The cut copy of the book didn't have him and wasn't any worse for it.

edit - missed the post at the top of the page.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 19, 2020

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Ma, have you heard me on the radio?

Of course I have. You sound white!

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I'm like, half and half on the new miniseries so far. The contemporary updates to the characters range from 'okay that's a pretty good take' to 'wut.' The casting isn't at all how I pictured anyone in my head, but the cast mostly works for the modern approach the story, and some of them, like Tom, are actually really good.

On the other hand, there are some nonsensical changes or little additions that don't do much, and I think it was a mistake to make the story non-chronological. There are some really great interpretations on individual scenes. But also some bad ones.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Theres a few good things about this new series so far, some pretty decent sequences (I even came around on some of the casting), but mostly it's like having a cover band cock up my favorite song

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Something I don't understand is - if a director's interpretation of a scene doesn't add anything, improve anything, or say anything new, why change it from good source material?

King purists don't like Kubrick's Shining because it doesn't have the character depth of the book, and while I understand that, I also really admire how Kubrick was able to bring that terrible sense of horror from the page to the film with his changes. Like, he nailed the feeling of the Overlook, even if he added unnecessary things like it being on an Indian burial ground or whatever. Or Darabont's changes to the Green Mile and Shawshank, same thing. They improved the story. The changes to The Stand sometimes work but most often just feel like something different for the sake of something different, and rarely add anything. Or outright make things worse. Dayna outwitting Flagg is another step in his failure to maintain control, and in the book he petulantly beats her dead body until it's soft enough to slither out of Lloyd's grip. In the show, Flagg just shrugs it off. Which is darkly funny, maybe, but completely changes the meaning of the scene.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Baron von Eevl posted:

The Shining the book is Stephen King going "guys I'm kind of a bad person I think"

This is exactly what makes chapter with Jack on the roof, thinking about George Hatfield, so loving good.

God i am not a son of a bitch. Please.

edit - what the poo poo was this last episode of the stand, oh my god

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 23, 2021

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
lmao at Halloween makeup Nadine

edit: mel brooks did this relationship 100% better with Elizabeth and Peter Boyle's enormous schwanzstucker

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 31, 2021

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I was going to make a point that there's no god drat reason to deviate from perfectly fine source material after what Game of Thrones' writers proved, but IMDB has Stephen King working on all 9 episodes and Owen working on 5 episodes (along with Josh Boone and the other writers).

jesus christ, guys

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 5, 2021

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I'd always pictured it like a clawed hand-shape but not specifically the 90s version glowing hand of god rubbing one out on a nuclear dong. But even that was better than what this new series did.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

joepinetree posted:

I mean, it depends on what we are talking about.

There is obviously some divine intervention in that when the 4 are sent to Vegas and Mother Abigail foresees that "one will fall along the way." That obviously indicates some sort of supernatural power, though if it is god or her being psychic is unclear.

But there is no possible interpretation where what comes down is the literal hand of god. Not only is it not described as the hand of god (two characters about to be executed say it looks like the hand of god), not only is its source clearly described, but it goes against the theme of the ending. Flagg kills Nadine. Flagg flings the electricity ball that ends up killing Vegas. The point is that the god that demands obedience and worship above all else is self destructive. Not only is it not what is described, but it goes against the obvious point of the scene to have the ball of electricity that Flagg himself created to silence his critic actually become the hand of god.

I don't think anyone ignores the religious themes of the book. King himself called it his tale of "Dark Christianity." But there is a pretty big gulf between talking about the religious overtones of the book, and thinking the book ends with the literal hand of god (because god apparently can physically manifest itself, but needs trashcan's help to defeat Flagg).

Tom and Nick's ghost both describe it as the hand of god, though:

Tom, talking to Stu: "It was the bad man killed Nick. Tom knows. But God fixed that bad man. I saw it. The hand of God came down out of the sky."

And then Nick talking to Tom: "You have to get back to Boulder and tell him that you saw the hand of God in the desert."

I'm sort of arguing against myself here (I'm on the not-literal train), but Tom's knowledge of Flagg and the business around him exceeds everyone else's, except Mother Abagail's. I can see readers taking the hand of god literally on account of that.

Unrelated, and potentially hilarious, I remember reading somewhere (but I couldn't tell you the source for the life of me) that King said that if he was going to continue the story, he had an image of Frannie falling down a well. I hope that makes it into the miniseries. :zaurg:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The whole point is that things are set up so that good takes a stand against evil, and that evil destroys itself (which is something that King loves to go back to). The literal hand of god ending idea sabotages the story pretty drat hard.

I agree with you on that theme there, but there's also statements in the story ('Man proposes, God disposes'; 'It was not the hand of Moses that brought water from the rock') that speak toward the miracle-making old testament god that split the Red Sea and brought manna down from heaven. The hand of god as a physical miracle that uses Flagg's own magic against him isn't out of the question.

edit - One of the strengths of the novel is that the characters run the range from agnostic to faithful, leaving the reader to interpret the particulars. I definitely fall on the agnostic, Glen Bateman side of things, but I have no problem understanding people having a faith-driven, Mother Abagail literal interpretation.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 6, 2021

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

joepinetree posted:

Again, those are characters describing it. In a book that is about the faith of the characters and the need for faith. It makes sense that the characters would see it that way. But it is clearly now how the text describes it.
:ok:

Breadallelogram posted:

Look up the title of the final episode!

lmao holy poo poo

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 7, 2021

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
lmao a literal magical negro. King dude you're my favorite author and you're on the right side of the fight but holy lol

best ep of the series, frannie in the well was everything i dreamed

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 11, 2021

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Yeah. One of the great things about King's multiple-decate body of work is that it's a kind of American Naturalism the same way Dickens was able to nail the horrors of Victorian England. The themes are fixed to the times. When you update those themes to a modern vibe via minor changes, they don't work.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Did anyone catch the extended cut of Doctor Sleep? I was sort of down on the novel except for Danny trying to come to terms with alcoholism and his father, and the extended cut focused on that. It also did a great job being a sequel to both the novel and Kubrick's version, using King's takes on personality while following through with Kubrick's cinematography without being goony about either one. I can't believe I'm saying this about a King adaptation outside of Darabont's versions and Stand By Me, but it was really good.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Torn on this. Spielberg of course is fantastic, and his 80's movies along with King's sort of created and defined a whole genre, but I really didn't like Stranger Things. It blew past homage and pastiche and settled into a nest of strangely acceptable plagiarism.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Yeah, have to agree. It was such a strange misfire. Because the first few parts weren't chronological, most of the show just felt like a collection of scenes. Besides that, there were a ton of unneeded changes that didn't improve the story. (Look at e.g. Shawshank for a good change, where Darabont keeps the same warden throughout the movie, instead of the four or five different wardens in the novella.) It seemed like the script was changing things up just to do it -- they could do the Lincoln Tunnel in 1994 but they decided to go with sewers in the new version for some reason?

Like el oso mentioned up-thread, Owen Teague was great as Harold, and I came around to Greg Kinnear's Glen, but the show characters mostly aren't the book characters. That's probably a result of the cultural differences between the novel's time and the show's time (even the updated novel set in 1990 felt anachronistic sometimes) but I think a lot of it just ties back to a script that didn't really let the characters breathe.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I can't think of any based directly on his works, but Control is massively influenced by his ideas. It even starts off with a Shawshank allusion.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I honestly can't think of any adaptations of his that he hasn't championed other than Kubrick's Shining, The Lawnmower Man, and Maximum Overdrive (minus a few minor quibbles, like the opera sequence in Shawshank). But to be fair, it's probably bad form to publicly talk poo poo about the effort of the folks who love his work enough to put hundreds or thousands of hours of labor into making their adaptations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Baron von Eevl posted:

I mean book Jack was always terrible, he almost killed a kid right before going to the Overlook. Kubrick understood that Jack was King writing about himself and said "you know what, I think you're kind of a piece of poo poo and so is Jack." I get why that would put King off, it was nearly a direct attack against him as a person.

The thing that makes it such a tragedy though is that Jack actually might've become a better person if the Overlook hadn't gotten its claws into him. The 'Up on the Roof' chapter is Jack finally admitting the truth and coming to terms with what he did to George Hatfield.

I know that isn't really relevant to the major part of your point (King/Kubrick relationship) but that was certainly part of Jack's character that Kubrick got wrong. There was some decency in Jack (it even comes out at the end of the book, when he gets control of himself for just a second and lets Danny run away) but it was buried under years of anger and alcoholism stemming from his father's abuse. He was rarely a good person, but he did have it in him to be one.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 19, 2021

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Director's Cut movie Dr. Sleep is a sequel to movie Shining and goes off in a completely insane direction very different than the book and *major spoilers*: has adult Danny go back to the non-boiler-exploded totally intact Overlook Hotel, and then has him do everything Jack goes through in the book.

This surprised the hell out of me and was very, very good. Additionally, the movie uses a lot of Kubrick-style cinematography and re-captures the creepy feel of the original movie (which, as much as I might bitch about Kubrick's changes to the characters and story, was pretty goddamn perfect). Mike Flanagan (the Dr. Sleep director) respected the hell out of three different source materials (movie Shining, book Shining, and book Dr. Sleep) and did an incredible job merging all three.

That said, yeah, the Knot is still the weakest and goofiest part of the story, though they have a couple of truly horrifying moments.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 27, 2021

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
There's a lot of discussion in the thread about it, but short, premise-spoiler version:

It's about an adult Danny coming to terms with himself, the bad behaviors he inherited from Jack, and the alcoholism he developed while using booze to mute his shining and the PTSD he got from his experiences in the Overlook. That part of the story is very good. It's also about Danny slipping into the Hallorann role to protect a super-shiny girl from a pack of RV-living vampire retirees who store 'steam' (shining juice) in Thermoses because it's hard to find good victims anymore. They want the super-shiny girl for a buffet. That part of the story is not so good.

edit: The movie is good because it takes what made Kubrick's version of The Shining so memorable (cinematography and dread) and mixes it successfully with King's strengths as a writer (characterization and experience of addiction).

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 10, 2021

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Yeah. There were some good and even a couple of brilliant scenes and reinterpretations in the newest Stand (and updating Harold to a modern-day incel, while a pretty obvious evolution, was really well written and well acted)...but man, a lot of it just wasn't good. I hope Firestarter goes well. It's cool that they actually cast a Native American actor for Rainbird instead of (lol) George C. Scott or Malcom McDowell.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I'm missing what thunk is about here. :confused: Harold was a proto-incel, and it would've been easy to make him a caricature since incel culture is common-ish knowledge now, but they kept him true to the conflicted character that King wrote. The update to Harold was well written compared to like, Lloyd, the Judge, the Trashcan Man, Ralph/Ray, and Nadine (though I did come around to the hippy Greg Kinnear version of Glen, as much as I loved the perfect dry-humor version from Ray Walston).

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 27, 2021

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I take it back, constantly-high Glen was also good. They just ended up giving him so little to do that I forgot about him.

:hmmyes:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
The problem with The Breathing Method is that it's in a collection with Shawshank and The Body, and good luck being in a class with those

Edit for clarity

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 11, 2022

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Yeah, a beyond-book audience knows Pennywise, Cujo, Annie Wilkes (though probably not by name), Carrie if she counts, and....?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
By virtue of output alone across decades, King is basically the Ken Burns of Americana pop fiction. Like, he cited Secret Agent Man in The Shining and then turned around and did the same thing for Game of Thrones in Doctor Sleep. I think you can judge the quality of his fiction pre and post accident for sure, but as an overall take on the guy, I think he's going to be known for a kind of Americana Horror (edit: or American Naturalism) the way people see Gabriel García Marquez as the spearhead of literary magic realism.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 23, 2022

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
yeah i think that's just life, generally

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I liked UTD a lot -- I'd probably rank it in his top 10 -- but that show was loving terrible. Like holy lol.

Re: Big Jim -- take a look at his relationship with Andy Sanders, and you'll see Stephen King's take on Dick Cheney/George W. Bush.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
lol yeah nothing goes right in that book. I was really impressed, just like at a writing skill level, how King wrote such a long novel that never lost momentum. Most of his longer stuff has these stretches that are good but frankly boring (like Bill's taxi ride in It). I can't think of any off the top of my head in Under the Dome (or at least any that weren't followed up with something interesting).

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I don't know if there's a compilation, but off the top of my head:

No The Kid at all
No fight with Frannies mom
No 'No Great Loss' and I think a few other scenes of society breaking down
Various updates to pop culture references (Art Fleming to Alex Trebek) (uncut version)
Unnecessary additional King foreshadowing (e.g. the 'And Harold Lauder succumbed to his destiny' line after meeting Nadine) (uncut version)
The coda with Flagg was cut
I think some Boulder stuff was cut too, but it's mostly so bland that you don't notice it added back in

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
lol i forgot another one. Larry's mom hates disco instead of rap.