Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm just kind of peeved that the Kindle version is like $17.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Labratio posted:

Another way to look at this; the TV Miniseries was actually a pretty good representation of the original cut. I think the only thing that changed heavily from that was when Larry met Nadine (New York, rather than wherever it was they were), and they took out the forgettable character (read: I can't even remember her name) that he meets in New York. The rest is pretty dead-on from the original cut of the book.

That part was really bizarre and I didn't see the point of it in the book. Larry meets some older lady, has sex with her constantly and then she kills herself. You could cut that part out and his breakdown until he meets Nadine still makes perfect sense.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DeseretRain posted:

So, you liked the book even though you don't care about the Kennedy stuff? So it's still pretty good even for someone who doesn't really care about the JFK assassination?

While the JFK stuff is the reason why the main character went back in time he spends the majority of the book doing other things. He goes back to 1958 and has to spend the five years living until the Oswald stuff becomes relevant.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Boofchicken posted:

Can someone spoil this for me? I don't plan on reading Dreamcatcher and I didn't know there was more to know about Pennywise.

From what I remember its nothing really, just graffiti on the Derry memorial stating "PENNYWISE LIVES" There's another IT bit in 11/22/63 with a cameo from 1958 Richie and Bev after they killed Pennywise.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I Ozma Myself posted:

When did he say he initially came up with the idea for 11/22/63?

In the afterward he says he was originally going to write the story in the 70s but didn't want to do the research into Oswald and thought that it was still too close to the event.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've never read the "original" version of The Stand. Is there an easy way to find it anywhere or would I have to go around searching used book stores? All I've ever seen in bookstores is the "Expanded and Uncut" version.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aatrek posted:

Hmm. That's the stuff I tend to skip over during Wizard and Glass re-reads.

Yeah, I really don't want/need to know all this stuff about Roland's past. Also fairly disappointed that the book is just Wizard and Glass redux and not really "what happened between Wizard and Glass and Wolves."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I generally like The Dead Zone but I'm always slightly put off by the large gaps in the story where all of a sudden its years after the last section.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ozmaugh posted:

The dad from ALF is one of the CDC dudes at the beginning.

Which is just marvelous because I can't look at Max Wright and keep a straight face. Dude hangs out in crackhouses.

If you had to survive the hellish nightmare that was ALF you'd turn to crack too. Apparently they worked 18 hour days on a deathtrap set riddled with trapdoors that you could never be sure were secured or if you were about to take a short sharp drop 4ft down.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Dark Tower film/TV show project might be getting a second chance. With Warner Bros picking it up this would mean that the TV show would be on HBO.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My problem with Blockade Billy is the reveal. I didn't think it fit with the rest of the story's foreshadowing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

juliuspringle posted:

Sure, just as soon as someone actually does it well. (not sure if Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas would count.)

Philip K Dick's VALIS has a really good author insert. He's actually two characters in the book, himself and "Horselover Fat"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Toriori posted:

My favourite King book always has been and always will be 'Eyes of the Dragon'.

Apparently Syfy has decided to adapt this into either a movie or a miniseries. They definitely want to do something with it though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

Ben Hanscomb's Big Dick

Uuuuuuggggggghhh

Why he felt like he had to say that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of It, Warner Bros has hired Cary Fukunaga (Sin Nombre, Jane Eyre 2011) to cowrite and direct a TWO part adaptation of It.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The problem with splitting up It is that you can't really cut it in half with kids stuff then adult stuff since a lot of the adult stuff is them not really remembering what happened when they were kids.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ProfessorProf posted:

Well, there's the entire plot of Dead Zone, for starters.

Speaking of early King books, The Dead Zone is pretty awesome. With the caveat that sometimes it feels more like a series of connected short stories than a proper "novel."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think its funny that while he doesn't exactly advertise it, its extremely obvious that Joe Hill is King's son. Not because of his writing but because of this:

Dude couldn't look more like his father if he tried.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm wondering if they're going to keep the ending for Under the Dome since they kill a LOT of the characters. Sure most of the "main" ones survive but he kills off like 99% of the town in that apocalyptic fireball.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Johnathan Demme has dropped the 11/22/63 movie adaptation saying that he and King couldn't agree on what should actually be in the movie or not. I'm sure someone else will snap up the rights soon.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

3Romeo posted:

That's odd. Since when did King start caring about what people did with his books?

edit: That's kinda snide. He complains about in in Danse Macabre and On Writing, and in a couple of his notes. But very rarely do adaptations get his books right--I'd never heard of him stepping in to have creative control before this.

I think the issue is that Demme and King are friends and Demme didn't want to cause a problem by doing the movie in a way that would piss King off.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, The Dead Zone is a pretty good book. The only issue I had with it was that at times it feels like a bunch of related novellas/short stories than a proper novel novel. Like how it jumps from Johnny dealing with the celebrity of his psychic powers to him pretending to be someone else and tutoring a rich kid.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ravenkult posted:

That cover is pretty loving awesome.

Yeah, I like that more than the one we're getting.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So it turns out that King's OTHER son, Owen, is a writer too and his debut novel just came out. I read a review of the book (Double Feature) and its supposedly pretty good. Although its supposed to be a straight drama and not a horror story.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

nate fisher posted:

My only real complaint about the story is it is taking so long for Swan and Sister to meet.

Ha ha, that doesn't happen until about the very end of the book.

The things that bugged me about Swan Song were how they set her up as a messiah figure but then don't really do anything with it. Also didn't really like the "true face" stuff. Mostly because it decided that the nerd kid was evil completely ignoring any mitigating circumstances to his situation.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RC and Moon Pie posted:

And it contains a line (to the effect), "like a Stephen King book."

The book is what outed him nationally, but it was apparently pretty well known in fan circles. I think I've linked somewhere in this thread to the full retrospective by Steve Brown, who broke it, but here's a version of the tale. Oh, found it: Bachman Exposed, by Brown.

In retrospect, The Long Walk is a no-doubter, too. Maine-based and Ray Garraty's number - which is odd, considering it's alphabetical order and everything - is 47. King was born in 1947.

The funny thing is that King has stated that he started getting letters asking if he was Bachman after the very first book was published.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

crankdatbatman posted:

There was an author insert in Slaughterhouse Five? I'm only remembering it in Breakfast of Champions (which I agree was a good one).

The entire BOOK of Slaughterhouse Five is an author insert. The novel is about Vonnegut trying to work through what happened to him during the war. Although more literally the author does have one line as himself during the firebombing of Dresden scene.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm not even half way through it so while I can't attest to its content I can say that NOS4A2 is well worth a read. It feels like good old school King.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lascivious Sloth posted:

What's a good Steven King book for a 12 year old girl? Has to be appropriate as well..

Eyes of the Dragon maybe? That's his most "Young Adult" novel, pretty much anything else is going to have something that isn't quite appropriate for a 12 year old.

Also, just a reminder that Under the Dome is starting tonight on CBS.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

savinhill posted:

What about The Talisman? It's been a very long time since I've read it, but from what I remember, it wouldn't be inappropriate and has a young protagonist.

Eh, there's a lot of weird sex related stuff in the book that could give a younger reader a bad impression. Which is too bad because other than that its a good young adult story.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Hey goons, just wanted to ask opinions on 11.22.63 - worth reading or not?

I started it a few months back and got a few chapters in, but I had some stuff going on in my life that rendered me unable to concentrate on reading. I'm able to read more now but gargantuan books are a bit too much for me at the moment.

I thought it was a good book, just don't go into it expecting it to actually be about a guy trying to stop the Kennedy assassination since that takes up such a miniscule amount of the plot.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Night Shift is probably his best book of short stories.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Edwardian posted:

Wasn't "Survivor Type" in that anthology? Jesus, that still one still makes me a bit queasy.

Nah, that's Skeleton Crew which is just as good. Night Shift is:
Jerusalem's Lot
Graveyard Shift
Night Surf
I Am the Doorway
The Mangler
The Boogeyman
Grey Matter
Battleground
Trucks
Sometimes They Come Back
Strawberry Spring
The Ledge
The Lawnmower Man
Quitters, Inc.
I Know What You Need
Children of the Corn
The Last Rung on the Ladder
The Man Who Loved Flowers
One for the Road
The Woman in the Room

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A lot of his old short stories were extremely bleak. The majority of the ones in Night Shift don't have happy endings.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

savinhill posted:

His novels too, my father was always surprised when King would allow one of his characters a happy ending, or if the main character made it out of the book alive.

The funny thing in that is that he wishes he written the end of The Mist like the movie version.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Night Surf was kind of a dry run of The Stand and super depressing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jerusalem's Lot has vampires in it for one scene but yeah, its mostly about a creature from outside of time and space.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

No, this is a new age where you get actors with disabilities to play characters with the same. There's deaf actresses, actors with cerebral palsy, or missing limbs, whatever. I'm sure somewhere out there is a black actress with no legs below the knee who would do the role spectacularly well.

And if not, Rutina Wesley has a date with a chainsaw.

Except there are all the scenes from before she loses her legs. As with the Clint Eastwood's son thing I'd prefer they go with the best actor/actress for the role, instead of one who just happens to look most like the character.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kingnothing posted:

Doesn't she loose her legs at like 13?

No, she loses her legs when she's an adult. I don't think King gives her exact age though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Lawnmower Man one was because they didn't actually adapt the short story, instead just using the name and plastering King's name all over it.