Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Pretty sure it would have been a more common term like 40-50 years ago when dude started writing too. :shrug:

Probably even a regional thing at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The first part of the original Dark Tower book was literally being written when King was like 19 or 20 years old.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mel Mudkiper posted:

He already did

No he didn't. The movie is at least a few cycles ahead.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

chernobyl kinsman posted:

backstory is boring. answers are boring. worldbuilding is insanely boring. horror's effectiveness is inversely proportional to how much is known and understood about the thing feared

Wow, I've got a great story for you then:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

robert aickman is one of the most effective and disturbing horror writers of all time because he gives you nothing. you get the sense that there's an explanatory framework for the tale he's telling, but at no point does he step in and say "yeah the thing in the lake is a monster which was isolated from the larger ocean 5 million years ago and followed a divergent evolutionary path, it's attracted to the castle because of the dark rituals that the main character's father performed in honor of Dagon, the sea god" or whatever, because that's boring and not scary. all of that stuff is shadows, hinted at but never explained.

to understand something is to have a kind of power over it, and is thus incompatible with powerlessness, which is scary.

Stephen King's The Moving Finger

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, like It is the perfect example of that

Immortal ghost clown who eats children and is inherent to the existence of the town is inherently scarier than being told everything about the creature, it's origins, it's weaknesses, etc.

You're never told everything about It in It.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Feb 1, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

it's not, though. Carmody is like the bad guy from Under The Dome, Big Jim Remmy or whoever. they're terrible characters. king, himself obviously a liberal, is very good at conjuring up everything that liberals hate and fear and incarnating them in the Perfect Other. he writes the kind of characters that liberals believe their opponents are (and on some level want them to be) in their most reductive and dismissive moments. the movie's depiction of Carmody is much more effective than the novella's because it introduces the subversive element of her being (at least potentially) right, instead of just the ranting Westboro Baptist cardboard cutout that King wrote originally.

Truly, Stephen King used his future scrying glass to look into the mid-1990s to mock the Westboro Baptist Church's activities then, from 1980, when writing The Mist.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

she's not literally made of cardboard in the book either, fishmech

You are so eager to shriek about phantom liberals that you refuse to realize real people act the way he writes, especially up in Maine.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Planning on buying a couple of King books for Kindle and I’m seeing two versions of a couple I want (Pet Semetary and Rose Madder) from two different publishers: Hodder & Stoughton and Scribner, with the former being half the price of the latter but also about 100 pages shorter.

Anybody have any idea why this is and whether the H & S versions are abridged or some such nonsense?

I suspect the one house simply uses smaller text and narrower margins.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Salem's Lot got its sequel as a significant chunk of one of the Dark Tower books.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Darko posted:

There is no way to picture that hand of god literal deus ex machina on screen; I hope thats part of the change.

It's literally a mushroom cloud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BiggerBoat posted:

So King wrote an enticing read with a lovely ending? Well, gently caress me.

Dude has flat out admitted he doesn't outline his stories, writes himself into corners and rather makes poo poo up as he goes like a kid playing make believe on a playground. I enjoy him overall but just once he should start with a bitching ending first and work backwards for a change. Seriously, how many books is this where "it was good but the ending sucked"?

That's what he did for Insomnia. A lot of people dont like that book.