Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ihatesoup
Jul 25, 2008

by Fistgrrl
I don't understand his obsession with feces. Something about him seems a little off and not in the entertaining way. It's like watching someone progress into Psychosis with each video review. Maybe subjecting yourself to that kind of torture was going to get the best of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I used to rent the Top Gun NES game from our local grocery store all the time as a kid. I was fascinated with the idea that an NES game could be something other than a side-scrolling platformer (which 99.99999% of NES games were at the time). I could never land that god drat jet then, and then a few years ago, I downloaded an emulator and tried to do it in my college dorm and still failed. Then I found AVGN's review of Top Gun through a friend that I was talking about my experiences with and I was in hysterics.

Not every single review is good, but I like that he usually picks out the most memorable snippets of playing certain NES games.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Yeah, I'm another one who kinda hates all the ridiculous swear combos and when he starts fighting characters/consoles/games with lasers and explosions everywhere.
the funniest parts have always been .. comedic gameplay.

Some of you guys might want to check out the HVGN (yes, the H is for happy)
Of all the nerd knockoffs, he is definitely the best, I think he even got the AVGN's seal of approval.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Other than HVGN, which I'll check out when I get home, are there any other people like Yahtzee and AVGN out there? I always enjoy those types of videos while I'm outside having a smoke.

The AVGN dude is also a filmmaker, so I can understand why he'd want to work on special effects while doing video game movies - gives him practice and I'm sure more people watch that then his other poo poo - good exposure and all that.

I really enjoyed his attempt at figuring out the Zelda timeline - I am not a huge fan of the series, so I was quite confused, but holy poo poo did he do a good job.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Terror Van posted:

The Nerd certainly loves his Rolling Rock. Is it actually a good beverage?

For a bottled beer it's not bad.

One of my favorite Nerd moments was recently when he reviewed Moonwalker and he realizes that you can do the crotch grab in the game.

:aaa: + :gonk:

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

CitizenKain posted:

That seems a strange thing to criticize someone on. "Hey, you haven't played yet another or Rare's 3d platforming collectathons."

The fact is, it's a critically acclaimed game, one that's a lot of fun and one of the best on the console, and it's really weird that he's never played it. Ever. Especially for a guy who owns so many video games. It's like owning hundreds of NES games and never playing Contra, or being a PlayStation collector and never playing Crash Bandicoot.

I'm just saying, for someone with a lot of knowledge of classic video games, it's disappointing to know he's never played one of the best.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I have to say I'm a big fan, even though I agree he should cut down on the poo poo obsession. It was funny to a degree but it's a cheap, stupid gimmick.

Incidentally, everyone should check out the non-gaming stuff he's done, including his looks at horror films and Rocky. He's extremely passionate about movies and much more laid back when he's not playing AVGN, so they're worth checking out.

Rocky jumped a park bench part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVwu-UbpPUw
Rocky jumped a park bench part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBgN3EdYFP4

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Other than HVGN, which I'll check out when I get home, are there any other people like Yahtzee and AVGN out there?
I never really watch his videos but I hear good things about Spoony One every so often.

Then there's.. the Irate Gamer
He's an unfunny retard who basically just copies the worst aspects of the AVGN, he's like the Tim Buckley of this poo poo, he even has the huge dumbass fanbase that is bizarrely loyal.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I think AVGN is a decent reviewer of both games and movies. Hes got good taste and while his reviews are filled to the brim with expletives, his points and comments are spot on.

I didn't realize so many games I played as a kid were total poo poo though.

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice

Super Ninja Fish posted:

He actually hasn't done much of this in 2 years. All of the gimmicks and characters that you're probably thinking of (Jason, Freddy, Bugs Bunny, Spiderman, etc..) were from the beginning. Now every once in awhile he'll do a character but most of the time he does just talk about the games. I'm looking at his wiki page and here's some recent examples: CDI games, Jaguar, Metal Gear, Dick Tracy, Battletoads, Intelivision, Colecovision, SuperMan64, Virtual Boy, and NES accessories. None of those have any gimmicks or characters. The only thing he did was dress up as Dracula and Indiana Jones for those games.

I trought the Freddy and Jason episodes actually was pretty funny, mostly because it didn't seemed particularly forced like in later episodes with guest characters. They didn't went completly over the top like the Halloween special with Michael Myers, an episode which I found be pretty bad.

And I guess that is my biggest problem with the Nerd. He seems more forced and over the top than ever. He sounds more genuinely angry in his early episodes, not like today where his anger just seems forced.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

.TakaM posted:

Some of you guys might want to check out the HVGN (yes, the H is for happy)
Of all the nerd knockoffs, he is definitely the best, I think he even got the AVGN's seal of approval.

He's a terrible manchild, though.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Macrame_God posted:

One of my favorite Nerd moments was recently when he reviewed Moonwalker and he realizes that you can do the crotch grab in the game.

:aaa: + :gonk:

That was essentially an episode devoted to "Reverse funny aneurysm".

.TakaM posted:

I never really watch his videos but I hear good things about Spoony One every so often.
Yeah, the problem is his main line one is FF8 which is the Marmite of the FF series. However, being on the "Hate it" fence makes the whole thing very, very funny. Also, the whole Dr. Insano thing is hilarious.

Off the beaten path, if your up for funny reviews of Comic Books, Linkara, who's hosted on thatguywiththeglasses as well is well worth the time.

I AM A MAHNNNN! *PUNCH*

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Other than HVGN, which I'll check out when I get home, are there any other people like Yahtzee and AVGN out there? I always enjoy those types of videos while I'm outside having a smoke.

Well, there's the Nostalgia Critic on http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/ , but he does strictly old movies and TV shows, aside from the time he reviewed Bebe's Kids for the SNES during his feud with the AVGN.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
Wow, swearing. This is hilarious.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

.TakaM posted:

Spoony is interesting because he's actually funny and his old CD-ROM game playthroughs are informative. He's like the AVG but he doesn't go into stupid "fight someone in a rabbit costume" segments. Well, he kinda does, but he knows when to stop.

Losanda
Oct 19, 2002

Norman!
http://www.youtube.com/user/InecomCompany

Classic Game Room is also worth a watch, especially for the really old games they show. There are a ton of videos in that youtube channel and they are poo poo to navigate, though.

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice

Snuffman posted:

Spoony is interesting because he's actually funny and his old CD-ROM game playthroughs are informative. He's like the AVG but he doesn't go into stupid "fight someone in a rabbit costume" segments. Well, he kinda does, but he knows when to stop.

He almost went there. But then his fans were all like: "Oh no! Please! Don't do like the Nerd!"

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Spoony's ongoing series with FF8 is actually pretty good.

Amber Sweet
Apr 30, 2009
I'm a big fan of AVGN, I've been watching him the past few years. My favorites are his consol and additives reviews. Even though I'm not into toliet humor, I still manage to find him hilarious.

The only ones I don't like are the ones with stupid cameo apperances. I couldn't watch The Wizard of Oz review because of that stupid loving irritating as balls Lion. The same dude also played the worst Joker of all time, who was also annoying as gently caress. I hate that guy.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
AVGN is really hit or miss. Stuff like his NES TMNT game review is hilarious, but when he's being over the top for the sake of being over the top (which, sadly, is almost all the time it seems) it's just not funny. The occasional gem makes up for it though in my opinion.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Ez posted:

The fact is, it's a critically acclaimed game, one that's a lot of fun and one of the best on the console, and it's really weird that he's never played it. Ever. Especially for a guy who owns so many video games. It's like owning hundreds of NES games and never playing Contra, or being a PlayStation collector and never playing Crash Bandicoot.

So he's not a true video game nerd because he never played generic console platformer number 546?

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice

Ringo Star Get posted:

Spoony's ongoing series with FF8 is actually pretty good.

You sould also watch his Let's Play of Phantasmagoria 2. It's pure gold.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
I can't even stand watching more than 2 minutes of a video it's so bad. I hate the internet providing people like this popularity through such unfunny means.

John Ford Coley
Sep 7, 2005

by Garbage Day

Der Shovel posted:

I have to say I'm a big fan, even though I agree he should cut down on the poo poo obsession. It was funny to a degree but it's a cheap, stupid gimmick.

Incidentally, everyone should check out the non-gaming stuff he's done, including his looks at horror films and Rocky. He's extremely passionate about movies and much more laid back when he's not playing AVGN, so they're worth checking out.

Rocky jumped a park bench part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVwu-UbpPUw
Rocky jumped a park bench part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBgN3EdYFP4

Holy poo poo, that was a really good documentary. Makes me want to watch the Rocky series again.

Well, except for 5.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

John Ford Coley posted:

Holy poo poo, that was a really good documentary. Makes me want to watch the Rocky series again.

Well, except for 5.
Fun fact: Rocky V (pronounced "Rocky Vee" and not "Rocky Five"), while featuring the Rocky Balboa character, is not actually the fifth movie in the Rocky series. Rocky Balboa is actually the fifth movie in the Rocky series.

Or, at least that's how I like to think of it.

John Ford Coley
Sep 7, 2005

by Garbage Day

The Rokstar posted:

Fun fact: Rocky V (pronounced "Rocky Vee" and not "Rocky Five"), while featuring the Rocky Balboa character, is not actually the fifth movie in the Rocky series. Rocky Balboa is actually the fifth movie in the Rocky series.

Or, at least that's how I like to think of it.

Works for me.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Utritum posted:

He almost went there. But then his fans were all like: "Oh no! Please! Don't do like the Nerd!"

Huh, really?

I started watching when he started doing the Phantasmagoria playthrough (I'll second that its amazing and worth a watch).

Was this the Dr.Insano thing because in small doses, that's okay.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I took like a 4 month break from watching the videos when said "gently caress" a lot like a chicken (whenever that was). I turned on the most recent one and got nerdy turd.

The optimist in me wants to attribute this to bad luck but something tells me that's not the case.

Losanda
Oct 19, 2002

Norman!
I just nearly peed myself laughing so hard at the riverdance part in this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfVRnVCzq5c&feature=PlayList&p=0B24216340CC3B88&index=0

Thanks whoever brought the guy up.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I don't like this Spoony guy at all, his commentary on this Sewer Shark video is the painfully unfunny kind of nerdery. Happy Videogame Nerd is good though.

Edit: Spoke too soon, now that he's done his pathetic commentary on the FMV scene his rundown of the gameplay is more in line with what I want from stuff like this.

Wendell fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 5, 2009

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
I'll admit to liking AVGN when I first saw one of his videos, but the gimmick gets old REALLY fast.

Having said that, this is probably the worst video I've ever seen on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4au9uzYhDik&feature=channel_page

Completely stole his gimmick, and spends 11 minutes making the most useless and asinine complaints about what was your average 7/10 Disney SNES platformer. In parts where he complains about not being able to make jumps, you can tell that he is walking not running, and he complains about apples being your only weapon when you are meant to jump on guys. Plus he has one of the more punchable faces I've seen in a while.

The best though, of course, is Furious Famicom human being

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/flash-tub/furious-famicom-human being.php

Shmorky gets it right as usual.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
I have always been entertained by AVGN's videos - it's Yahtzee who I can't stand, to be honest. Why, though? As has been said various times in this thread already, his reviews are pretty rich on information and trivia. Something about his on-screen personality clicks, as does the fact that his collection is downright amazing ( granted, he probably gets a lot of stuff from direct donations and ScrewAttack, but still ). I eargely await for the next update, too, as always.

One of my favourite videos is the one where he shows us various clips from his childhood, and tells about his aspirations on becoming a film-maker. It made me go seriously :3, and I am still hoping that he gets to fulfill his dream beyond AVGN someday.

Rock on, Nerd.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy

Utritum posted:

Ahhh, I've just figured it out. People who enjoy let's plays enjoy this poo poo. Should've figured it out sooner.

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007
The Spoony guy has like a seven video series where he rips on Final Fantasy 8, the easiest target in the entire world. I watched the first half of the first video and it was predictably filled with gay and emo jokes. He also seems to think the game is overrated, for some reason.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
Well, this thread introduced me to the Irate Gamer. So gently caress you, thread. That guy is a huge ripoff of the AVGN, and the AVGN is drivel.

Khad
Aug 11, 2006

third time's the HRAAAAAAAAAAAAALF
I actually like his stuff that isn't AVGN as well. He has some pretty nifty movie reviews where he isn't in that character.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Mourning Due posted:

I'll admit to liking AVGN when I first saw one of his videos, but the gimmick gets old REALLY fast.

Having said that, this is probably the worst video I've ever seen on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4au9uzYhDik&feature=channel_page

"Someone call the police, cuz I've been ROBbed!"

My autistic cousin makes better jokes than he does.

American_Monkey
Jun 22, 2003

UncleSmoothie posted:

Well, this thread introduced me to the Irate Gamer. So gently caress you, thread. That guy is a huge ripoff of the AVGN, and the AVGN is drivel.

You should look around in his videos section, (though I completely understand if you'd rather not) because not only is he a shameless AVGN ripoff, but he also rips off Ghost Hunters of all things. The intro sequence at the beginning is worth the horror that is the rest of the video.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

mp5 posted:

I took like a 4 month break from watching the videos when said "gently caress" a lot like a chicken (whenever that was). I turned on the most recent one and got nerdy turd.

The optimist in me wants to attribute this to bad luck but something tells me that's not the case.

At least try the system review videos before writing him off - those are some of his best ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006
I HAVEN'T BATHED SINCE DECEMBER 4, 2009. ARE U READY FOR A STINK FUCK????

Utritum posted:

Seconding this. It's almost five hours long but it's consistently funny throughout. Swat 4 let's play is also really well done

• Locked thread