Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Started lurking the thread about a month ago when my wife and I decided we wanted to buy a townhouse, there was a lot of great advice and it helped me feel some relief that everyone stresses the gently caress out about the entire process as much as I have. We are currently at the end of the inspection process where I handed over some super minor requests (a couple junction boxes in the basement needed some cover.)

The one thing that has me nervous is we have an FHA loan and I've heard they are pretty big ball busters when it comes to the appraisals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

couldcareless posted:

We had an FHA loan. The appraiser was mostly just concerned with the unfinished bathroom. We requested sellers to finish it and they did. The biggest difference is the FHA appraiser is just looking for livability aspects of the house.

this is comforting, i'm having nightmares about three silly steps that don't have a railing on both sides.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Looks like our appraisal went without any issues, is it pretty much smooth sailing from here on out? Can I loving breath already?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Drunk Tomato posted:

Is it typical for the seller's agent to be there during the inspection? We had the house all to ourselves

Our sellers agent was there to let us in, was your house still occupied by the seller?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

So my agent contacted me today and we're looking into closing early due to our condo association's FHA status expiring on the 15th (Original closing date was the 24th) The sellers would need to rent probably for the month of April due to not being finished with their closing, pretty normal I am guessing right?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Jealous Cow posted:

What does losing FHA status mean? Will that effect the resale value?

My loan is an FHA loan, so there may be some issues with me closing after the FHA expires on the condo.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Just over a week till my closing, is it okay to have a nervous break down yet?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

when you guys talk about 300,000+ homes I feel like a real poor for buying a 180k townhouse.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

remigious posted:

Woo townhouse buddy! It kind of sucks in a way because when we have family and friends over no one is really impressed and they say it's too small, but I'm happy that we were smart and bought within the limits of what we could reasonably afford.

I mean our place is 1300sqft which is a lot of space for a married couple who doesn't plan on having kids, I can't wait to finish the basement.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

finished signing the endless paperwork.

Someone want to let him in on the secret?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

About how far in advance did everyone receive their final number for closing costs? I close on Thursday and have only received estimates. I asked late last week and was told when we got closer I'd have it? Are they afraid I'm going to walk?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Just got my final closing cost its $1000 less than I expected and the seller has to cut me a check for $650 :circlefap:

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

just finished closing this morning, time to clean up after the previous owners because they didn't do a very good job.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Bozart posted:

I suggest going to the hardware store and picking up new toilet seats, aerators for the sinks, a new water filter for the fridge, new matched locking doorknobs, led lightbulbs if not already installed, and a programmable thermostat if one isn't there. Oh and picture hangers and a folding chair to put in your garage so you can sit there alone and drink beer.

e: I would have said an air filter for your furnace but you should order that online from nordic pure. But I did forget: replace your CO alarms while you are at it - they expire.

These are all things we're planning on doing, we've already ordered air and water filters for everything that has one. LED Lightbulbs will be a thing as well (all recessed lighting so I have to see what's needed) and luckily we have programmable thermostats in both zones already.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Spent almost $600 the first weekend in my new house :suicide:

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

couldcareless posted:

Congrats on the cheap move in.

Half of that was light bulbs, the rest was like a ladder, some patch and paint. Now I need $1200 to replace the in wall AC units

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Someone doesn't know that Costco has a contractor pack of 10 60W LED bulbs for $10...

18 Dimmable LED 60W PAR Cans (6 in the living room, 8 in the kitchen, 4 in the Bedroom)
6 Non-Dim LED 60W PAR Cans for the hallway
9 Standard LED Bulbs for the bathrooms and basement

The dimmables aren't cheap.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Bozart posted:

look at this guy hallway lights doesn't exactly match the living room and kitchen

EXCUSE ME SIR THEY ARE ALL 5000K DAYLIGHT (go ahead tell me how wrong I am for my love of real white lights)

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Bozart posted:

I'm sure it provides the comfort of the shop rite milk aisle and the county jail, home is many things to many people

working in live production I like my white balance to be even, so yeah it's a lot like jail.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Mikey Purp posted:

We did it! We closed on our house! :woop::cry::woop::cry:

Better break out the Lowes card you're gonna need a lot of LED light bulbs

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

code:
When the Lender prepared your Mortgage they used the incorrect condo name.
Just received an email saying we have to go back to the law office and have the mortgage corrected :suicide:

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

What's a good starting hardware sequencer for a beginner? I currently have a Minilogue, Volca Kick and Volca Bass. Is the SQ-1 still the recommended or is it the Beatstep Pro?

edit: Ever since my house purchase i've been making so many mistakes. Don't purchase a house. i'll leave the original message so everyone can mock me

Photex fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 26, 2017

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

god damnit.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Man the market out here sucks though, 2 month absorption, poo poo gets bought up within days of being on market so prices are stupid high. Walking away, which I'm honestly thinking is the wise choice, will set me back a month or two before finding something else.

But I absolutely know that's not a valid reason to make a bad decision.

So when do you close?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

also don't forget the agent works for you, not the other way around.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Correct me if i'm wrong, but if you can put the entire thing in your name if you guys decide to move can't she use her first home buyers credit and put the 2nd place in her name? If so that is actually a bit of an advantage.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I only put 3% down and have PMI, tell me how much of a gently caress up I am.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Been 10 days since we handed over the money for appraisal. Loan officer isn't returning phone calls or emails from us or our agent. Selling agent says they haven't been contacted yet by the appraiser, meanwhile it's 22 days until our supposed closing date.

How worried should I be getting?

Abort.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Wait so you went through with the closing even though the owner hadn't moved out? Did you do a final walk-through?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

totalnewbie posted:

I just closed on a house, today.

Welp.

How much have you spent at Lowe's so far

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7ww9dq/bought_a_house_in_october_huge_mistake_and/

this should be required reading for this thread, it's far too long to quote.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

6/10 on the grovehouse scale.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Update: Just completed my first year of home ownership, spent way too much on smart home upgrades. The good news is my monthly payment went down and I got a $1500 escrow refund this month.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I would never buy a detached home in an HOA, but I own a townhouse with a (seemingly) good HOA

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Just to clarify, how are the sellers of the house trying to sell you stuff, are they like...calling you/emailing or is it going through your realtor?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

hot sauce posted:

Tell them to remove the junk or bring you a check for the removal service to closing

x2 because my time is worth money too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Not wanting a spouse ever screams just rent forever, not having a second income when the repair comes a calling isn't going to be easy