Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Lol @ everyone in your peer group talking about buying a house at 26. Do you hang out with the most privileged ivy league legacy crackers in the country or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Anyone moved from city to country recently? Trying to get a ballpark estimate for how much more I'd pay throwing in expected maintenance and inspections and other higher costs going from city to rural, so well water, septic, propane and wood stove with similar sized house and use patterns. I know it's pretty variable depending on inefficiencies of various things but trying to get a realistic range from people who have made the leap.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

That's a great example, thanks for all the details.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Probably come up 50 times in this thread but mover costs? $125-$150/hr sound pretty typical? Any other hidden fees or other ways movers try to screw you?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Fancy_Lad posted:

Curious: How do you know when the septic tank needs to get pumped? Is this a "do it every X months" type thing or is there some sort of gauge?

I bet it is highly location dependent, but is this a costly service?

I already did some looking into this, depends on how big the tank and how many people you have pooping in it every day. As an example: 1,000 gallon tank is pretty common, with two people you can expect to need that pumped every five to six years. From that it sounds you can plan on about 100 pounds of poop sludge per person per year that needs to get pumped.

As far as I can tell they do not sell any with gauges or other ways to tell how full they are, (maybe inspectors do this with a scope or something?) so sticking to a schedule and measuring how much gets pumped out seems like what most people do.

Good poop chat thread guys.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 6, 2014

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Great now I know everything about pooping I just need to keep reading about the thousand ways groundwater can get contaminated and kill me through my well. At least I'd be upstream of any agriculture and there's no fracking so I mostly only have to worry about heavy metal poisoning :woop:

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

It's hard to generalize the US, depends on the city. Where I live prices have gone up by 20-40% in about two years on houses that haven't been improved at all, and multiple offers above asking price the day it gets listed is very common. And for the first time I've ever seen the prices of condos/townhouses are rising nearly as fast as detached housing, which is unheard of. So yeah the bubble argument could be made. In other cities you can buy poo poo for less than new construction costs still and prices have barely budged from 2009, just depends.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 9, 2014

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

I've never had any problem looking at houses in any price range without a buyer's agent, is that a regional custom or something?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

What's so great about that paint? I need to do a shitload of painting soon.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Half walls and wood paneling must have just gotten you mad pussy in 1980 or something.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

How current is zillow? Realtors are trying to tell me everything is like a month out of date on there but the info always matches their lovely websites so I'm skeptical.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

MLS is beyond retarded. If we had anything even halfway resembling consumer protection or rights in this country it would be busted up and all consolidated in a free site with a real time API anyone can build off of.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Colorado here, never heard of a sewer line inspection being done before either. Chimney inspections/sweeping on the other hand should be mandatory, too many fires from all the pine being (poorly) burned.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

I used to live in a town so trashy they had a big handwritten sign saying "no returns on plungers" at the local hardware store. Thank god for education and escaping shithole towns.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

It's also worth noting that most people think they will be in their house far longer than they actually end up being there, it's a common overestimation in these calculations. Life changes unexpectedly and people have to move/sell/whatever, so try to err on the side of underestimating how long you'll stay put.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

In all my years the only scum of the earth worse than realtors that I've found are job recruiters. You have to understand that the primary concern with both are to make the deal happen, put the peg in the hole and then you get paid. Nothing else matters. They still can of course be good and be useful but just understand that 90% of humans care only about whatever gets them paid more often, so anyone who is paid based off the peg getting in the hole is probably not looking out for you but just trying to get the peg into the hole.

Goddamn don't get me started on recruiters though, they uniquely manage to screw both sides of the agreement over time after time while have no long term stake in anyone or anything, they are a special kind of psychotic madman. Put the peg in the hole by any means necessary, then move on.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Hahaha no way realtors are teflon.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Geez I remember when people were thrilled about 11% 30 year fixed mortgages and what a good deal that was. Old man chat.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

nebby posted:

Holy poo poo thread.

That lot I said we got for a good non-insane deal? We were fortunate enough to have an inspector come by in order to determine the placement of the septic tank. Upon surveying the lot, due to drainage issues and regulations which were passed since the last time a home was built on the lot, the guy concluded the lot *is not buildable*. We were set to close on the 31st, and would have been stuck holding a lot that we could not have built a house on. Needless to say we are going to be trying to back out of the contract, I don't see it being a problem but we may need to go to remediation to get our deposit back. (Since the contract was no contingencies, but in this case this is out of bounds since the assumption is that this was buildable land.)

Do. Never. Buy.

Heh I went through something similar a long time ago, with the bonus of the seller not disclosing a ton of poo poo they were legally required to on a lovely shed that they built on the lot. Went to remediation, lost despite them breaking the law in like a dozen places because the guy was connected to the local power brokers in town then had to sue the fuckers for two years to get our deposit back. Good times, gently caress ownership.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Nohearum posted:

My guess is that you will need to rent something while you hunt for a house. I've been looking at houses around Denver for the last year or so. The market is absolutely insane. Anything decent doesn't last more than 3 days, and usually goes for 10-15k above asking. Contingencies are a thing of the past. There are a lot of well-qualified buyers, so I hope you are putting 20% down to make your offers competitive. I've lost 3 offers to cash buyers in the last 4 months. Most of the excess inventory that plot is showing is likely overpriced run-down junk that nobody wants, not homes that you would consider living in.

Denver's always been a strange real estate area, only major city in the US that didn't suffer a year over year decline in the crash, but also price growth in the 90s and 00s was much slower than everywhere else. Now it's a full on crazy bubble of skyrocketing prices for junk in awful neighborhoods.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Yeah it's great every time mentioning Colorado anywhere anytime to anyone the reaction is always LOL MARIJUANA AM I RITE that sure does never get old let me tell you what.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

The fed has indicated rates are on their way back up sometime in the middle of 2015, it's not a 100% sure thing but pretty drat predictable right now. There's an argument to be made for lower income people who are more sensitive to rate changes (higher income people don't care as much and get more benefit from the tax deduction) to be looking to close a deal soonish.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Uhhh if your source is the fed minutes then I don't know what to tell you. Google it or google how terriblly unreliable the fed itself is in statements and released minutes? I guess I'll have to be your source (I'm an economist) if you don't have interest in doing that or following financial journalism: rates are increasing this year, the only possible debate lies in how much they get raised.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Why isn't there just like a loving iPhone app where you can text an offer to a seller and then they can accept or counter or whatever and it generates all the paperwork and then we could just dump all realtors into a river somewhere and life would be grand.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Yeah it's pretty insane where I live right now

http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-county-business/ci_27614117/hot-housing-market-boulder-county-home-buyers-inventory?source=most_viewed

quote:

We're within sight of the last single-family detached (home) in the County

Yes, it would have to be the tightest market since I've been doing real estate

Hearing lots of those crazy stories of 10+ offers above asking price as soon as it's listed. Aside from the usual junk mail from realtors trying to convince me to sell every week I've also had two stop by unsolicited in person and try to convince me to sell because of the market right now. Just crazy, is this what Vegas was like in 2006?

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 2, 2015

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

I almost always have a huge sense of buyer's remorse but man oh man that was not an issue with buying my first place at all. Getting home after signing everything, getting a locksmith to change all the keys that afternoon and just lying on the floor for awhile was the best feeling ever. I really got wrapped up in the emotion of that the first time, probably a little too much since I had a long string of lovely landlords that regularly broke the law before that. Just felt amazing knowing that I had the only key and noone could barge in for some bullshit reason.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Hahahah who is paying 2% a year to maintain their house? That's insane. What kind of shoddily constructed money pits that need a new roof every six months are you people buying?

I guess some people just dump all their disposable income into renovations/additions constantly as their hobby, but aside from those people I can't imagine dumping that much money on fixing things.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Yeah I'd never buy a house people smoked in either, fortunately that is getting rarer and rarer these days. Maaaaaaybe if it was so old that it needed to be gutted and repainted and new windows/floors anyway and I got a really good deal, but even then probably not.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

The nice thing about flood zones is all the insurance is federally subsidized, it's like welfare basically. When I lived in one of those FEMA 100 year flood zones in the most flood prone area in Colorado in was like an extra $10 a month in insurance the loan agent required and that was it.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

I'd always advise knocking on all the close neighbors doors before putting in an offer on a house, just say hi and that you're thinking of making an offer and ask them about the hood. Having experienced the wonders of illegal gang run marijuana grow operations next door (SWAT snipers used my roof for that raid), bipolar motorcycle people, and the shirtless alcoholic screamer lady as neighbors has opened my eyes to how important that is.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Thesaurus posted:

I hope you simuntaneously had these people as your neighbors on three sides of your house.

That would be pretty hilarious but no I'm just old and have had lots of neighbors over the decades of owning several places. The sometimes legal but usually not marijuana grow thing is becoming a huge concern in Colorado now, the overpowering smell can just take over a neighborhood. I have one realtor friend who now walks the neighborhood sniffing thoroughly before agreeing to list a house because she's been sued twice now in the past few years for selling a house and then the new buyers were not happy about the constant smell of drugs with no recourse besides selling.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Who on earth mails checks anymore? Set up auto payments, the post office is terrible and when they screw up it can cost you big.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

I guess having the sellers attempt the repair is better some than some lovely "warranty" they buy where any problem ever is not covered by the "warranty", but only just barely. Yeah get an estimate and cash and find your own people to fix it.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Stop working with lovely big banks and mortgage brokers and just call up your local credit union instead. It really doesn't have to be a loving nightmare to get a home loan.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Double your salary is overly conservative, in general the financial advice in BFC is waaaay too cautious and will have you living the life of a miser eating nothing but dried rice and beans alone with only your tears to salt the meal. Don't get like 6x your salary in a mortgate but 4x is fine if you're stably employed and have reasonable expectations of income growth.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Dik Hz posted:

I would, and I'd be willing to walk away over it. It's funny how these sorts of errors never seem to happen the other way around. It's never "oops, turns out you're getting more than you thought."

Houses are routinely appraised on $/square foot. 30 square feet is thousands of dollars. You could always tell them, "So, we agreed on $105 per square foot, right?" before you share your findings. You'll probably find out real quick if it was an innocent typo or deliberate. If it was deliberate, I'd walk away immediately. If they're lying about poo poo like that, there's probably a dozen more things you haven't found yet. It's like the New England Patriots. Cheaters cheat. They don't cheat once and then not cheat any more.

What a great post, everyone read this and follow its spirit when dealing with your own situations like this that will inevitably come up.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

People do so much retarded poo poo that they think looks good and doesn't or is some loving tree from their childhood in climates that are totally wrong for the landscaping and it pisses me off so much. You don't need a lawn and an oak tree to impress your ancestors or whatever the gently caress.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

That's like a case study in why you don't let people just build as many million square feet as they want on however much land they want without any government oversight. Like what the flying gently caress.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

I would never work with an agent who made me sign anything beforehand as a buyer. Even if you did make that mistake just threaten to go all scorched earth on them with bad reviews online and they will always let you back out of it, I've heard about people doing that like a half dozen times to get out of agent contracts and it always seems to work.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

My realtor gave me a $200 gift card to target after last closing. Don't pay some silly $300 fee, the commission is plenty.