Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

skipdogg posted:

Look around your area for appliance discount stores or scratch n' dent places.

I've gotten a dryer and fridge from local businesses that sell mostly to contractors, and they're more than willing to knock off hundreds of dollars if you're willing to take a dryer with dent in one side.

Considering you never really look at the side of your dryer it's a no brainier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Tigntink posted:

I don't want to be super negative on old houses but my sister bought a house built in 1903 - the previous owners + and inspection said that all the knob and tube appeared to have been removed but apparently they just half assed it and made all the sockets appear to have been fixed but alot of the internals and junctions were still old wiring.

Just saying to be wary :( Luckily my sister immediately remodeled the kitchen so they caught it and fixed all the wiring themselves. Our house burned down when we were kids due to electrical so we are both super aware of those issues.

People are scum :( Lying about wiring is the worst.

This happens often enough to worry about it. People will replace the first foot or two of wire from each outlet, make it look good for a cursory check, but then have knob and tube throughout the rest of the house.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Am I the only one who enjoys their lawn? I feel like Hank Hill every time I read this thread.

My house was previously owned by an old couple, and a few months before they died and their children sold the house, they put in an astroturf front lawn.

When I first bought the house, I was embarrassed about it and talked about redoing the front yard with a "real lawn."

Four years later I've stopped caring and I've still never had to mow it.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

nebby posted:

we came in 5% below list price hoping to negotiate up to a few % above. house sold at 20% above list price. more than $900k for a 1400sqft 2 bed 1 bath home that needs $15k worth of work. lol at this market, i'll stick to renting.

Depending on the market/location you're in, houses might just sell above asking all the time. I bought my house in 2010, which was deep into the poo poo real-estate-wise. We caught the tail-end of the Obama $8k new home buyer credit, to give you an idea of how bad the market still was, nationally.

San Jose didn't give a gently caress. The houses dropped a bit, sure, but they were still fairly expensive, there was no shortage of buyers, and every house we bid on went for 5-15% over asking. We bid on and lost five houses, three of which we went 5% over asking on. We ended up going about 6% over asking on the house we ended up with.

nebby posted:

it has to crash at some point, right?

Safe as houses.

Inverse Icarus fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 4, 2014

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

a shameful boehner posted:

I'm in the process of securing the underwriting on my mortgage loan, getting closer and closer to the actual closing date, which the sellers have extended to mid July. That's actually a good thing, as I realized after I sent the signed contract back to the sellers with a June close date (with the option to extend to July as requested by sellers) my apartment lease end date was in loving August and I could have ended up eating a month and a half of rent + mortgage payment. :doh:

Do you have any improvements or repairs you can do to the house while still living in your apartment?

My wife and I bought our house in February 2010, and didn't move in until late May. We were living in a rented house with a bunch of friends and the lease went until June, and we used the time to rip out carpets, redo the wood floors, take down wallpaper, etc, all before living there.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

This is a great big opportunity for a huge derail, so I'll just say this: it's possible to have a fully committed relationship but not get married. I did it for 11 years (and then got married, LOL).

Among families with two high-income earners, it's sometimes smarter to not get married, tax-wise.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I like turtles posted:

gently caress carpet tack strips, especially those with 3" long nails going into otherwise gorgeous hard wood.

I've been there, bro. Just make sure you have a good crowbar.

Consider yourself lucky that the old owners weren't like the ones who owned this place, who glued carpet to linoleum floor. Ripping that up was some of the most exhausting work of my life.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Cheesus posted:

Anything flooring related (refinishing, carpeting, carpet cleaning, retiling) will be magnitudes easier and more convenient in an empty house.

I had ~4 months between buying my house and moving in, and we did all of the floors, wallpaper removal, painting etc before moving in, and it was a lot easier than dealing with crap in the house.

Cheesus posted:

If you're really that worried about an empty house being a target for vandals, setup a timer and attach it to a single light in a room visible from the road.

During these 4 months some punk kids egged the empty house, so a light on a timer probably isn't the worst idea.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

silvergoose posted:

Ask to look at some inspection reports and see what's more comprehensive, understandable, etc?

Yeah, ask to see their reports/binders and see which one you like best.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Have people who use Angie's List gotten burned in the past by finding people in other ways?

I've hired a lot of contractors and the like using yelp, word of mouth, and getting a few different bids before pulling the trigger.

I can't imagine paying money for something like that, but I've never had a bad experience with the anyone, except one guy who left bags of trash when he finished the job.

What am I missing?

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

canyoneer posted:

There's no social law that says one must answer the door. If I'm not expecting anyone, I'm not even walking to the door.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkUNokNnD38

My pitbull's barking is all the response a door-to-door salesperson gets.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Jastiger posted:

SO we found a used fridge for $500. I'm not too thrilled about the fridge, but whatever, we need one to live there.

You can buy new, boring, no water/ice maker fridges for ~$350.

Is this a really nice used one?

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Jastiger posted:

My wife wants it so.

We're getting it.

Happy wife happy life.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I'm 30, living in the SF bay area, and the vast majority of my friends are still renting.

"Cheap" houses here are a half million dollars here right now. My wife and I picked one up in 2010 near the bottom of the crash, and got a "steal" at ~340k.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Keyser S0ze posted:

The owner's counter wanted 10 day inspection instead of 17, which I agreed to. Again, why bother giving me a counter at all if the "owner" was only interested in cash offers. Regardless, I'm in another place now that needed a shitload more work...meh.

oh goodie it looks (and smells) like 1980 in here!

go away, ugly half walls and posts

My house was built/designed in the 60s, but I'm getting a very strong sense of deja vu looking at these images. I knocked down two half walls in the house, and the carpet and popcorn ceiling is giving me flashbacks.

Do you have any wood paneling or wallpaper to deal with? Wallpaper was the worst for me, even worse than ripping up carpets.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

gently caress wood paneling.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

PuTTY riot posted:

I bought a house back in may with not a lot down, on a 203k loan. the loan sold almost immediately after closing. The bank who bought my loan called me and said they want to pay my closing costs so i can refi from 4.625 to 3.75. She said this would save me about $150/mo on a 240kish loan. She also said the only cash to closing i'd be responsible for is the difference between the refund on my upfront mortgage insurance and whatever the upfront premium is for the second loan.

a) Assuming everything she said is true, I'd be stupid to not do this, right? I am going to pore through all of the paperwork this weekend.

b) How is the bank making money on this? Why would they even make me this offer?

a) Read the paperwork and make sure they're not doing anything funny, but in general refis are legit.

b) There's nothing tricky about it, bank B pays off the principle of your loan from bank A today. Bank A gets cash in hand (to lend to other people), and bank B gets all your (lower, but still valuable) interest payments.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

PuTTY riot posted:

I think it was high because it was a 203k, maybe they just took me to the cleaners though.

Do you pay PMI on top too?

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yeah it's great every time mentioning Colorado anywhere anytime to anyone the reaction is always LOL MARIJUANA AM I RITE that sure does never get old let me tell you what.

It'll be legal everywhere soon enough, tough it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Tallahassee.

They just accepted the offer. fuuuuuccckkkk. I hope nothing goes to poo poo.

Fingers crossed.

CANDY FOR EVERYONE!

(the watermelon ones are the best)