Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
If I were to buy a house is there a reason to not buy outright vs loan keep stock in Exxon? I'm looking to save driving 1.5 hours five days a week and 3 hours for my gf. Rent is currently $910 a month, looking at house for $70-90k range.

House payments look like they would be $600-700 with 20% down depending on flood insurance rulings and gf can pay $250 a month that I would put back to savings. Between driving and rent looks like it would benefit around $600-700 a month?

Thanks for advice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
For updates to the fema flood insurance maps and how the effects flood insurance costs, who would you call? I can't really figure out wtf the maps mean or a good answer. I think the rates are suppose to be updated in October for the area I'm looking so I guess if everything gets foreclosed on in the area I'll know...

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
There is a house with three travel trailer hookups renting at $300 a spot listed for $120k. I'm guessing land and house appraise for $80-90k with room for three more hookups with electricity and water ran. I'm guessing this wouldn't qualify for a conventional loan.

What would I be looking into? I have $40k cash and first time buyer

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Oh god I put a bid on a trailer with a 50x150 lot, septic system, on unrestricted land. Dale Earnheart mailbox???

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Seller took the bid! $20k for a trailer with unrestricted land on a street with homes at $100k and older people. Also, 0 taxes since under $75k and rent for this place in current condition with minor repairs is $700 a month. This could get hilarious fast.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Hey it beats this place for $28500

http://houma.craigslist.org/reo/4004809757.html

What I got. Includes appliances. Saves my 2 hours of driving and me 1 to work. Also $950 plus $250 rent. Ill paint and redo flooring.
http://www.century21.com/property/161-west-201st-street-galliano-la-70354-C2120813710-A10948826

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
When the mortgage and rent is the same you'll still probably have at least $100-200 more in expenses on a house not in the mortgage than the rent. Set aside money for a water heater, central air, roof replacement. Also don't ignore lawn work as "free." Tools and time cost money.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Dik Hz posted:

So landlords lose money on average?

Landlords will let you pay a lot on busted a/c units, dishwashers, and water heaters through electrical bills before a home owner would have long changed it. Also, when it is yours you don't buy the cheapest possible to rent out.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

couldcareless posted:

So my fiance and I are about to accept the seller's offer on a house we like and begin the inspection period. It's a full renovation this past summer, had been a Katrina house that wasn't gutted until May, got a termite certificate and a mold assessment, both which seem to check out. This is our first home purchase ever, so is there any good general advice for getting a thorough inspection out of this?

Get your head in the attic and below the house. You'll see mold and rot. Inspectors are lazy.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
It was $750 for a title search and lawyer to do the paperwork for when I bought my property.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Pool repair for $2500? I would get a second opinion. My parents pool is 45'x30' and the liner typically ran around $5000. It now has the metal walls rusted out from the ground being salty and caving in. A new pull would be $30k, but because you have to tear out the old concrete deck that is failing and the inside before making a new pool, $40k! They can't even water outside or fill the pool so it gets to just slowly cave in itself now...

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

PuTTY riot posted:

The concrete deck is visible and appears to be in really good shape. The pool is also full, so I'd have to assume there's no major leaks. My pool isn't quite that big and is a standard rectangle shape, concrete walls and sand bottom. The home inspector and 203k consultant gave me the same replace the liner ballpark number. I live in Mississippi so labor costs are probably much cheaper too.

My parents are in north texas that has a per capita income around $30k. If the pool has water and the pump is running great. If the pump isn't running then that can be $300-500 for the part. I'd just assume a minimum of $2000 to fix the pool to where you can swim in it and a higher figure of $5000-7000. Can you force them to clean up the pool in closing or something or ask for $5000 in pool cleanup and available for swimming costs?

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Prefab when it is on land you own it is no different than a site built. Double wide cannot use a normal loan unless brand new then sometimes it can. Mobile homes will usually only appreciate for the land but the home depreciates.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Can the sellers not buy a poo poo hole vanity and toilet off craigslist and throw some vinyl floor down to make them happy? Just don't secure it down much and then you can change it when you get it.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
If you don't close your garage door your home value just flows into the streets and into the drainage!

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

Home value really only matters when you buy or when you sell anyway. Worrying about your home value when you are living in it just sounds very stressful.

Also someone earlier in this thread said they wished their house was worth less so that they pay less property taxes which I thought was a really brilliant way to wrap your head around the insanity that is real estate. Also, made me wish the same.

I bought a trailer on a piece of land because first $75k of property is tax exempt for this reason. $0 in taxes a year. I'm young so it will avoid a lot of expenses that mean nothing to me at this point in my life.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
If you buy a cheap house the roof and electrical would be my main inspection areas. Leaking roof means tons of rot which is slow as molasses to repair yourself.

I bought a $20k trailer on normal neighborhood lot then put $20k in. My bills are same as smaller apartment and interior is nicer after all the work. I gained a ton of time and gas money from it. Also 100 yr old lady across the street is awesome. Gives us wine and rum cake often.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

PuTTY riot posted:

A double wide? Assuming you bought the land it sits on too? How old is it?

Single wide 2 bed 2 bath so bigger rooms. Yes I got the land on it and it was a 1993 so it was built to the most recent standards of 2x4 walls.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

skipdogg posted:

Man I loving hate the term "building equity". I've owned made payments on my house for a little over 4 years and I couldn't sell it tomorrow without putting cash into the deal.

Let's see... in the last 53 months I've paid about 70,000 dollars in mortgage payments. Of that 70,000 dollars, about 17,000 has gone to property taxes (no equity there folks), 42,000 has gone to interest payments and mortgage insurance payments (nope, still no equity), and the remaining 11,000 dollars has gone to principal reduction (ok a little equity). My house in the current market is worth about what I paid for it. 160,000 dollars. Throw in 6% realtor fees to sell (9600 dollars), 2% closing cost help to the seller (3200, the market will pretty much demand this), and another 1% (1600) to get the place ready to sell (paint touch up, etc), and I have to bring cash to the even assuming I get a full price offer. That doesn't even count the money I put into the transaction when I bought the place. poo poo where did all my equity go? Oh, it went towards the cost of disposing of my supposed 'investment'.

For a 5 year horizon I would have been much better off renting a house in my neighborhood, even if it would have cost me 100 dollars more a month than my mortgage payment. My housing market never really had a crash, but it hasn't appreciated at all either.

Don't get me wrong, I love my house, and I enjoy living in a house. I much rather be here than in an apartment, but that whole building equity line of poo poo just makes me see red.

Wow. I'll take my trailer with homestead exemption. $75k in value is tax exempt here so I pay 0 tax.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

skipdogg posted:

To be fair I live in Texas where this is no state income tax, but we do pay higher property taxes to compensate.

I moved from texas and would rather have state income tax. I'll take 1% income tax over a property tax that would be on par of 8% income tax.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Jastiger posted:

:eng101: Insurance goon here! Floods are the most common disaster people suffer from! :eng101:

If everyone bought flood, the total cost would go down, down, down.

I'll buy flood insurance when it doesn't fund Fema giving out $500k command vehicles across the country, pay out for other disasters that don't pay into it (tornados), and isn't basically a reset on a loan and actual insurance. It seems better to buy a lovely house and self insure instead of a nice house in flood insurance.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Do they make zero turn ride on vacuums for houses over 5000 square feet?

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
If it is your first house having $10k set aside is a good idea. You will probably need at minimum $1k for tools and yard stuff. Decent push mower $250, weed eater $100, shove, rakes, trash cans, leaf blower $150, etc. Throw in a water heater failing, wife wants a new dish washer/washer/dryer, etc it all adds up. It does not take much to have to spend $10k on a house you buy especially if the roof or something major needs replacement. I'd say at a minimum have $5k ready at all times for a house repair.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Conference room dinner table and furniture.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
You can get a decent top freezer GE fridge with an ice maker for $500. Just put in $100 more and get a new fridge. You don't need a french door or bottom freezer $2k whatever the hell reason people buy them things.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I did a cashe sale with lawyer and real estate agent. Agent just showed, submitted bid. Lawyer did the title check back as far as possible, handled both parties signing, and filed with the parish. He basically was the title company in our instance.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Look on the bright side. With that size of a propane leak, you could have had a major fire or explosion.

"Custom flame heated porch for the family to gather around at night"

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Can you not just redo the shingles on the sun porch?

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

a shameful boehner posted:

First tree guy comes by to quote on cutting back some overgrowth in a honey locust tree that's overhanging my roof ($500) and help trim some dieback on a silver maple in the backyard ($650), recommends "deep root" fertilizer. Never mind the roots are exposed. Total cost (with fertilizer) $1,550. I suspect that's high so I get a second opinion from a different company.

Second tree guy comes by. Same trees. Total cost (with fertilizer) $1,275. Yuck. I have a recommendation from a neighbor for a guy who came by and removed a tree from their property for $300, but apparently he was just some dude off craigslist. A little different when I don't want the whole tree gone.

I really don't want to drop $600 on trimming off dead limbs on a maple tree, but at the same time I want it to live. It's not overhanging my roof like the honey locust is, so I'm tempted to just do the locust ($400) and punt on the silver maple until spring. I would cut the dieback myself but of course both tree trimmers recommend against doing it myself due to risk of killing the tree or introducing infection. It's not risking imminent death to leave it as it is, but I'm tempted to just use the second tree guy's service and have it all taken care of at once. I can afford it, my budget just wouldn't be so happy about it.

Rent a pole saw and do it yourself

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

moana posted:

DIY! Just make sure you get that black spray stuff from home depot to cover up the cuts on the tree.

Lots of trees and shrubs will heal up wounds pretty quick. If you ever read roundup instructions it says to spray within a minute of a cut to have a chance of getting it. The dead stuff is probably more at risk of infection than cutting it off.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
What did you do? Park a lot of broken cars out front or something?

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
$450k house with upkeep of a run down Winnebago??? What the...

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Why would it matter if you got into the house the day before it was valued or the day after? You will still pay taxes on the new value I'd assume unless you get one year of taxes at old value which would matter almost nothing.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
FYI: If you live in oilfield area study the effects on housing in the 1980's. Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, Houston will be a train wreck shortly. I live in an offshore area in south louisiana so I'll be in for a mess. IF I am still employed though I will be licking my lips after the retirement packages, contractors, and layoffs start up over the next year.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

EC posted:

I should add that there's a couple of other financial reasons we'd like to get rid of it as well. During the summer time (which is like, 8 months here in LA) we're spending LOTS of money to keep the yard mowed. Not even really landscaped, but it costs a lot to mow two acres. On top of that, our internet bill is close to $200 for a relatively slow connection. So getting away from those costs would help us enormously as well.

Thanks again for the advice everyone.

Where do you live in south LA? I had a little bit of similar work on a trailer, if you are in the Larose area maybe I can send you the guys who helped me info. They charged $25 an hour for work.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

LemonDrizzle posted:

I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would reject a house on the grounds of its interior decor given that it's not especially hard, expensive, or time-consuming to redo. Worry about the things you can't easily change/fix like size, layout, structural integrity, and location.

A lot of damage of time gets caught by doing updates. Think of how many people go to redo a shower/tub and find water or termite damage. Now imagine going 50 years without doing any updating and lucking out with not finding any of that. If so, go play the lottery.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I paid 0 tax on my $20k house and lot that i put $20k in. GG paying taxes on $300k houses.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Andy Dufresne posted:

I stalked through your old posts in this thread to see which corner of the world this was possible in. I'm glad to see you chose home ownership over Exxon stock.

$96 a share price sold and saved $1000 a month renting since January 2014. Would have lost 12% on the stock otherwise. Freed up income has accelerated 401k contributions. I can say 0 regrets and need another hurricane free season or two to come out very ahead.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
A house is not an investment. Any paying just payment when you save the rest can be good. If you get laid off and have 12 months of payments ready is a lot nicer than paying max and being broke after a couple.

Don't pay minimum then invest in risky startup companies. When rates go up your payment will and risky companies losing access to bond market can blow them up too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I just put an offer in a house due to transfer at work. The loan options sound like what was going on in 2006. I got 4.125% 1% down, granted 2% free, and pmi until 20%. I'm going with this and instantly paying to 20%. The no pmi was 4.625% 1% down, granted 2% free, and no pmi.

Who in their right mind is buying these mortgages up? Doing 20% down gave up the 2% grant and was the same interest rate. Crazy first time home buyer loans.