Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Alright guys…need some advice, may need to give up and call a plumber.

Had/have air coming up out of sink drain when flushing toilet (still do on one of two bathrooms). One time o smelled sewer gas from that 1/2 bath after flushing from sink. Lost water pressure and noticed bc washing machine stopped filling. But it all came back.

Plunged toilets, but they never backed up. Called the city but all they could do was check the manhole out front I don’t have a clean out in front yard.

Things seemed a lot better but still that air sound from one bathroom. But then last night toilets not flushing good. Not going down all the way.

This morning last 3 hours I augered both toilets, nothing came out and no real change. Went on roof and checked the kitchen vent and the vent over original bathroom (not one over the add on 1/2 bath). I did not see obstruction. Back on roof, sprayed water down both vents (I also augered them but it’s only 6 feet long). Back inside no real change.

Open the one clean out I know of on side of house by original bathroom. It was basically empty but a bit of sediment right at the end by cap, shining a flashlight it just looked empty.

As of this moment both are flushing good but that half bath is still gurgling air while/after flushing.

I had never in my 45 years augered/ went on roof to check vents/ opened a sewer clean out so I think I’ve exhausted everything the internet suggests I try.

Thoughts? Only thing my research points to is clogged vent, but I sprayed water, and the bathroom vent is under a walnut tree but I see no obstructions and I sprayed water down it.

Let me know if there is anything left to do, or if I should call a plumber, or since they are now flushing fine see if this air clears up today?

Thanks for any advice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

I would suggest calling a plumber unless you want to start getting down and dirty with vents and traps and sewer lines. If it's roots you're going to need their jet anyway.

Will do, I just wanted to basically confirm I’ve done everything I could reasonably do myself. Hate wasting money if I am capable of doing something.

I don’t k ow anything else I could try except get a 30-50 foot snake and try that on the vents?

Edit: I made an appointment with a plumbing company my friend recommended, they are at least a week out but he said if it became an emergency to call and they could come. On the phone he said sounds like a partial blockage between house and street? Knock on wood flushing fine for now…

everdave fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 26, 2022

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Basically you need a really long snake, possibly a jet, possibly a camera, that needs to make it from your clean outs to the city sewer demarcation. But without the camera you won't know what you're dealing with. You're doing well so far. Flush more frequently if you are going to have a lot of material in your bowl, and do not flush anything but bodily waste and toilet paper. No wipes, tampons, paper towels, etc. Try not to flush while the washing machine is draining, people are showering, you get the idea.

Got it. Thanks for that, at least I feel I exhausted what I could do before spending money.

Since I’ve got your ear, thoughts on getting a front yard/by the street clean out installed? It would be thousands according to my neighbor. But I’ve been here 14 years and never had a problem
Other than a clogged toilet in all that time. 1960 built house

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

It's a great question for your plumber honestly. They will be evaluating the system at your house. You might not have a choice if they can't get a decent shot to the street your screwed. Easier is better.

Ahh, got it. Thanks!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Hopefully I made the right call...

Finally got plumbing company out to handle my backup/non draining issues. Was down to one of the two toilets half working.

They ran the machine and pulled roots from sewer line. Back up and everything working. They recommended replacing that 62 year old cast iron sewer line as they said it is most certainly broken, but will have to install a 6" trap by street when they do as required now. But they didn't have to do anything, I could have paid $250 and been on my way. But we know the pipe under house for kitchen sink is cracked, the add on half bath needs to be redone under house the right way (no vent tube, used rubber fittings down there, but I could get by with it for now)

Recently made some good money so I asked for quote on doing everything...repiping house (galvanized pipes 62 years old), new sewer line, new trap front house and by street, complete repipe under house, new and additional outside faucets, basically replumb everything top to bottom. $12k total, and they are going to do it over the kids fall break when we are out of town. Hopefully this was a wise decision to do while I have the funds....because this morning the thought of forking out 12 grand for something you don't even see is making me feel ill...

Thought is this is the right thing to do, as I plan on staying in house indefinitely.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Please chime in anyone, I’ve had 12k of work done in the house. Complete repipe and new sewer line. It was done while I was out of town, the half bath water lines slowly leaked it made a mess there, maybe floor needs replaced but probably not…

BUT…house is a wreck from filthy shoes…thank god it hasn’t rained in weeks. And the sewer line hump sticks way above yard.

They have not been paid one cent yet. The owner is coming in the morning. Is it ok reasonable for me to say uh I’m not cleaning my floors, and what about bump in front yard? No doubt he will handle half bath. Again they did this without one cent down. But it’s 12k. Main question is it reasonable I want house cleaned? And is bump normal or no? Was excavated down many feet.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rakeris posted:

Bump? As in dirt over grade from excavation? If so yes, water it well and it will go down pretty quick. And imo yes they should be cleaning your floors if they are that dirty.

Yes on bump over excavation, and the new trap by street sticks way up?

Again they did a shot ton of work and I haven’t paid so I’m in the power position and I texted ow we when I got home and he will be here in morning.

Yeah I’m not paying 12k and having to clean my house after

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rakeris posted:

How far is way up? Could be poor backfill compaction which may lower it a little overtime (or with watering)...if that is the case I would be worried about fall. However it could just be installed higher than you are used to. (Latter is most likely imo)

They can be easily cut and lowered to flush with the grass or you can cut it lower and put in a box. Do not cut below grade and bury them.

When I worked excavation if we messed up someone's house we either cleaned it ourselves or just paid a cleaning service.

I’ll follow up after the plumbing owner visit this morning

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

PainterofCrap posted:

Absolutely, the contractor should be leaving the house the way they found it, or cleaner. I include clean-up on any claim where that may be an issue. Ask about the hump (hopefully, as remarked already, just uncompacted dirt) as well.

Will do they should be here soon

Edit to add:

He came they fixed the leaking fittings, we went under house to check everything. They swept house up not mopped. He said that bump was about a 4 foot deep dog and it was orange burg?? Paper pipe and they had to dig more than they thought, we have not had rain in a few weeks and he did not want to compact it or after rain would be a ditch. Recommended waiting after a few rains to smooth anything but he said even after there may need to be some work there by new street trap to even. He would lower trap whenever to ground level after that is done.

We agreed on a $2k discount with them not addressing the vanity or the floor, which has dried out. This was a closet before I turned into a bathroom and floor was pretty crap anyways, after dehumidifier all night honestly it is back to what it was. Bottom of this $99 vanity floor bottom is a bit bubbles but I’ll take saving $2k.

I have owners cell only way I even got someone out, my best friend owns biggest contractors in the county and gives them insane biz on giant jobs it won’t be an issue if issues arise.

I am 7/10 on the job I’ll need to mop or since kids are at their moms see if I can find some housekeeper service to mop for $100 or so and go drink beer somewhere

everdave fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 10, 2022

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Sounds like a good discount. It is really worrying that something they replaced/touched was leaking though, that should be repipe verification step 1. Did you have this permitted and inspected? Have you closed the walls yet?

Post some pictures of their joints and this mystery bump for some hot takes.

Here is the hump

everdave fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 11, 2022

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
A new no frills toilet is around $100 sometimes at the hardware store is it worth all the extra effort to find parts for an obscure brand?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
If your faucets all work you are good as far as I know. I’m just glad I left my heat at 68 while I’m gone for 20 days I used to punch it down to 55. But we’ve never had -14 before here like now

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

Two questions:

1: (Yes, I'm going to scrub that crap off the tub, but I want to ask this before I forget). Hot water runs constantly from the tub, and after taking the hot water faucet knob off, this is what's under it. Going by the drain plug toggle, it's a Moen fixture, probably original to the house from the early '90s, maybe late '90s.

It's a one-piece shower and can't be accessed from the other side of the wall without ripping apart kitchen cabinets. I'm guessing that if I use vise grips on the end where it's scuffed up or a strap wrench on the larger part, I can unscrew it, and I'm hoping to find typical valve guts inside. It doesn't look like there was ever a nut to put a wrench on. A couple of mechanical geniuses "tightened it down" a few times and said it just needs to be replaced (one of these handy individuals also turned a car port into an extra room and attached the framed walls to the concrete with nothing but caulk, for an idea of the quality workmanship we're dealing with).

2: A 24 year old water heater keeps tripping its self protect. Everything checks out electrically including the top and bottom thermostats and both heating elements. Instead of trying to find parts for it, it's time to just replace it, right?

You can replace that panel thing for dirt cheap and see if it helps. I got nearly a year or 2 more out of my ancient one before it started doing that again and I bit the billet and got a new one. If yours is easily accessible (mine wasn’t) just replace one yes at that old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Nvm I’ve lost the high volt leg I’m sure

everdave fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 30, 2024