Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Hubis posted:

Yeah, after having typed all that out and thinking about it, I'm just going to pull it and replace the ring and see if that fixes it (looking at the rest of the work in this house I have decided not to err on prior owners not doing dumb things, like not replacing the ring after redoing the floor). If it's still a problem I can go from there.

Lowes and HD sell extra tall wax rings. That might fix your problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Are there any rules of thumb as to how much efficiency a gas water heater loses every year? I have a 20 year old tank in my basement and am trying to decide if I want to replace soon or wait until it dies.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Any thoughts on this kitchen faucet? Turns out it's really hard figure out which faucets are good.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/KRAUS-C..._-205331103-_-N

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I'm thinking about making some diy waterproof match cases as gifts.

Something like this

I'm thinking some 3/4" Schedule 40 Aluminum pipe would work well for the body. Any suggestions for a permanent cap on the bottom and for a removable lid for the top?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Motronic posted:

Not sure what you're looking to do here but what you posted is accomplished is with a lathe. Anything you make out of miscellaneous parts that you can't turn down is going to be.......interesting.

What do you mean by turn down? I'm thinking I will probably need to thread one end of the pipe for a removable cap.

Right now I'm thinking the removable cap could be a brass garden hose cap, but I'm open to other ideas.

I'm hoping I could epoxy a rubber plug cap on the bottom, you think that might work?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Motronic posted:

Remove material using a lathe.

I suppose it all depends on how professional of a look you are going for. But the thing you pictured was made probably entirely with a lathe, potentially other than the threading (which can be done on a lathe).

If you're just looking to assemble parts you really just need to go to the hardware store. They can thread pipe, end caps exist that are threaded. Just use two of them, no need for something else on the "non removable" side, since you'd need a TIG weld it if you're choosing aluminum as the material.

Don't be surprised if the materials and cost to thread these things is quadruple what you can pick them up for on AliExpress, and they will look a lot worse and not have the features (knurled handle for non-slip, a loop for a ring/lanyard).

This just doesn't seem like something someone who doesn't have at least a mini lathe tries to make on their own.

Yeah you're probably right about them not being with making, thanks for the advice

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I could use some help figuring out how to do hot water recirculation for my bathroom addition/remodel.

Everything on the 2nd floor is going to be new PEX (the 5.5GPM line going vertically). I have a standard 50 gallon gas water heater. I have (reasonably) easy access to run a return line.

Here's what my dad and I diagrammed for normal trunk and branch

Here's my stab at what it should look like if I want a hot water recirculation pump

Am I on the right track?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

devicenull posted:

Can you instead do a manifold, and recirculate between the heater and the manifold?

Bonus: You might not even need the pump, because you'll only have to clear the line from the fixture to the manifold, and the manifold to the water heater. That's going to save you a bunch of money long term on not heating all the water in your house all of the time.

One of the benefits of pex is you can do a manifold + home runs, whereas that would be prohibitively expensive with copper.

I could probably do a couple home runs, but I'm going up a 6"x6" wall cavity to the 2nd floor which makes doing all home runs difficult.

Also my home run would be like 40' or so, which makes me think I would still need a pump to get hot water quick.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I know you said you didn't want to go into the plaster wall, but I think that's your best bet. Especially if you think that pipe goes straight down.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Setec_Astronomy posted:

Here's the setup:

The black line coming in from the lower right is the dishwasher outflow; it runs up to an air gap on the top right, which then runs down to join the main drain line.

The portion of the line out of view behind the cabinet is fairly long. I could try shortening that to give the pump less to push against? The dishwasher had a fairly long built-in outflow line which I connected to the existing drain line.

Re: cleaning, I have cleaned the drain at least 1x/month since the install. The filter is currently quite clean and I've checked the pump area for debris as well.

Wait so are the two flexible black tubes the same line?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I'm adding a new horizontal drain branch to my house for a full bath and laundry room. I'm adding drain plumbing to a floor cavity and to a new interior wall. 

Is the normal process to complete the drain plumbing that's in the floor cavity, have an inspector out, and then put down subfloor to build the new interior wall? 

I've asked the Building and Zoning Office but I figured I would ask you guys as well.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Motronic posted:

That's entirely up to your AHJ. Some are going to be more reasonable than others about things like this and not demand to see every last inch of the plumbing in order to sign off on it. How reasonable they will be often has a lot to do with your previous work that they have experience with.

Thanks, I'll see what they say

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

My kitchen sink has a clog and I can't get my lovely $15 hand snake past the first bend after the pipe goes into the basement concrete. Would I have more luck with a power snake? The drain is 2" if that matters.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Any suggestions on shower layout and design for my bathroom? It's an old house so I'm planning on going with classic 1920s style (black and white, marble, probably some penny or subway tile, etc), if that helps at all. Also I would like to have 2 shower heads.

There's so much space that I can't decide what would be the best way to take advantage of it.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Toilet is in the room at the top of the pic.

I didn't think about room for towels, tho maybe back of the door and on the wall across from the shower would be enough.

Also I am leaning towards a single vanity with lots of counter space. I think you're right that would make more sense.

The shower is the main thing that throws me off. Shape, size, shower head location, and door location are all up in the air for me.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Managed to get my expansion tank and recirculation pump (not pictured) installed. It ain't pretty but it will do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

SpartanIvy posted:

What is up with those braided hoses? Are they dielectric to prevent bimetallic corrosion? Is that to code where you are? It would not be here. Even if they are I wouldn't trust them.

They're up to code here

I need to redo the pipe supports, but I think everything else is up to code, even if it's ugly.