Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The fun thing with pregnancy acne is you can't use normal acne face washes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

bee posted:

Why not? I'm currently using cetaphil and hadn't considered that there cold be anything harmful in it.

You're not suppose to use anything with salicylic acids in it when you're pregnant. If you have any questions about what you're using is safe, you should ask your OB.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Reading what you can and can't do/take/eat when you're pregnant on the internet is really scary because some people will say its fine and other people will say your baby will be born with flippers if you do that particular thing. If you have any questions, its best to bring it up with your doctor so you don't freak out.

I gave up trying to figure out what herbal teas are ok and not ok to drink and just drink water instead.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Green tea is a giant no no. I think regular tea is ok as long as you don't drink too much because of the caffine, but herbal teas are just a mixed bag that's a pain to deal with. Peppermint is ok. Chamomile is ok.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The active ingredients in green tea supposedly do something with the body and folic acid so the fetus has a higher chance of having neural tube defects. A lot of the stuff I'm finding out about are sort of in that grey area of if might be harmful, but it might not be harmful. I usually just abstain from anything controversial rather than take the risk. Its only 9 months. The one I can't do without is I have to take a zyrtec every other day or I'll break out in horribly painful hives randomly.

For fun, google whether pineapple is safe when pregnant. :v:

Alterian fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 24, 2012

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Hastings posted:

The breakouts and nausea are really loving awful for me right now. Do you guys know of any ways to ease that up a bit? Like safe facial cleansers? I'm eating healthy snacks regularly, but that only takes the edge off.

BTW, I'm going to choke the next stranger that approaches me and rubs my belly without asking for permission.

This is the thread for you! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3390558

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I found this http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/1017.html
if you scroll down to "Are there interactions with herbs and supplements?"

This one talks about the study and where you can find it: http://pregnancy.families.com/blog/is-green-tea-safe

Again, its one of those things where some people say stay away, some people say its ok sometimes.

Edit: I think this is the study they're referring to in that last one. http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/65/6/2059.full?sid=7ff8ff08-1d44-4fbe-94f6-36c5e9ad81af

Alterian fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 26, 2012

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

It would be a lot easier to have kids younger than 30 if the US had better social services for women and children. I'll be 30 by the time I have the baby I'm pregnant with now. We would have started a lot earlier if I could have gotten reasonable maternity leave and child care. I probably would have also found out about my issues getting pregnant (thyroid issues) if I had better health insurance to begin with.

Alterian fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 12, 2012

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

bee posted:

This is exciting stuff! I have my fingers crossed for you Ceridwen.

So... it's been 43 days since my last period. Two pregnancy tests over the last three weeks have come back negative. My temperature went up half a degree a bit three days ago so I thought perhaps I might be ovulating, but the next day I woke up quite ill and feverish so I guess that explains the spike. Ovulation test was also a negative.

Earlier in the year I took a break from the pill, had one period then nothing for about three months. At that point, my skin started breaking out like crazy so I started taking it again. I'm not sure whether this is something to be concerned about, should I even bother going to my doctor or just keep waiting?

I'm slightly confused. Are you on the pill right now?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

FengShuiNinja posted:

My Question:

Has anyone ever tried to engage your OB/GYN in a conversation about 'genetic screening' and be completely brushed aside because they thought you came from a 'safe' racial/ethnic background? I had two experiences with this. Once before I was pregnant and once after I was newly pregnant.

Me: So, genetic screening sounds like a good idea. How do I do that?
Doctor: What is your race/ethnicity?
Me: I'm Asian.
Doctor: Oh, you're fine!

So I went to a different doctor. Same deal.

Now, after I have gotten an abnormal ultrasound, I'm being referred to a genetic councilor. What happened to preventative medicine? I should have been more forceful and demanded genetic testing since this baby is so mixed race because my husband is everything except Asian and Pacific Islander. Lesson--don't be complacent. :doh:

I think a lot of the ways they have to do genetic screening can bring a chance of miscarriage. It could also be an insurance issue where insurance companies won't cover a procedure unless its medically necessary. Hell, some insurance companies won't cover routine ultrasounds unless something comes back abnormal.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

If you wanted just a test for yourself or your husband and have the money, you could always do something like 23andme.com My husband and I both had our dna done through that because we're giant nerds and it was pretty interesting. They also trace your ancestry too. (We found out both of our maternal lines date back to Doggerland in Europe. Pretty crazy!) Of all the genetic diseases they test for, he wasn't a carrier of anything and I'm a carrier for hemochromatosis so we weren't too worried. There's one genetic disease that's in my family that they don't test for (for patent reasons) and not covered by my insurance and would have been thousands of dollars we didn't have. I have either a 1/8 or 1/4 chance of being a carrier (can't remember) and the general population has a 1/100 chance of being a carrier (I think?) and the baby would still have a 1/4 chance even if we both are carriers of having the disease and there really isn't anything else we can do if they are a carrier that we decided its not worth it.

I'll probably get tested for it in the future if I ever get an insurance that will cover it since being a carrier greatly increases your risk for certain cancers. I'm not too worried since one of the telltale signs you are a carrier is you go grey really early and I haven't. My mom is one of 10 and about half of her brothers were grey by the time they were 30.

Genetic stuff can be pretty scary.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I know for evening primrose oil you're suppose to take it before you ovulate and not after. If you're trying to boost your cervical mucous, try grapefruit!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

It still could just be your period. As soon as you start trying, your body likes to gently caress up your cycle no matter how regular it is and give you other weird symptoms because you're paying attention.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Also keep in mind that if you are tracking, you shouldn't really be having sex more than every other day during your fertile period.

It took me 3 years to get pregnant! The month I got knocked up was the month before I was going to start tracking again after taking a break to deal with my messed up thyroid.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Eating a healthy diet of a lot of fruits and vegetables for the anti oxidants, losing weight, and exercise is suppose to help.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

If you really want to get your sperm analyzed, its like $100 without insurance.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

It took me 3 years to get knocked up! I had an undiagnosed thyroid issue. The first month my thyroid levels were normal, I got pregnant.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I have a thyroid disorder and I was still able to get pregnant once I was medicated properly so its not the end of the world, it might just take a little longer to get yourself sorted out. You really want to have normal thyroid function when you're pregnant because being hyper or hypo thyroid can mess with the baby and yourself.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'm pretty sure I had a thyroid issue for a good chunk of my adult life but it was never diagnosed. I had pretty much every symptom of being hypothyroid for a very long time, but all the blood work doctors ever did was always normal/borderline low, and they would never even do a full set of them. My mom has the same issue. She was pretty sure she was hypothyroid her whole life. She had all the symptoms, but she didn't get diagnosed officially until she was in her 50's.

I didn't get diagnosed with a thyroid issue until for some reason my thyroid became hyperthyroid a couple summers ago and I was diagnosed with Graves Disease. I was pretty shocked when they said I was hyperthyroid. I thought I was having an allergy issue or some sort of stomach issue and it never occurred to me. It took a while for them to get my medication sorted out so I went really hypothyroid for a while. It amazing how I felt exactly like how I use to feel when the doctors told me nothing was wrong with me while I was in a medication induced hypothyroid state. I'm completely off medication now for it. I actually need to go in for a blood test. I've been feeling hypothyroid again, but I have a fear they're going to tell me my blood tests are normal/borderline and they're not going to do anything so I'll just feel lovely the rest of my life.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

So far no. I was in treatment for Graves so I was on medication while I was pregnant. By the time I got knocked up, I didn't have any antibodies in my system. I had to have my blood tested every month for all my thyroid functions. Luckily I could get the blood drawn at my OB and my endocrinologist would talk to me on the phone about my results so I wouldn't have yet another doctors office to go to all the time. I was worried he would have issues because of my medication, but the issue he could of had didn't happen. It was rough though. If I stopped taking the medication, I could have gotten sick again, but there was a slight chance he could have aplasia cutis congenita. My 18 months on it were done by the end of pregnancy so I was off of it when he was born. He came out ok with no issues!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

In the middle of my husband and I trying we both got laid off. It would have been hilarious if that's when I got knocked up.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Are you charting taking your mouth temperature? That never worked for me and my temps would be all over the place. I had to chart taking my armpit temp. I wish they would make specific thermometers for vaginally taking your temp. I couldn't get the idea of sticking a thin metal and glass rod up there when I was half asleep every morning.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

If the spotting is implantation bleeding, I don't think a test would be registering as pregnant yet.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Talby posted:

Is there anything I can do as a guy to increase our chances of getting pregnant through IUI? I don't smoke, I rarely drink, but my numbers are really low. Are there any supplements or vitamins or foods I should eat or not eat? We just had our 3rd IUI session today, hopefully it sticks, but if not I'd love to know what I can do next time to help.

There's been studies that show eating a lot of fruits and vegetables especially raw and exercise can help raise your sperm count and make them healthier.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Dori posted:

Also does anyone have any good information on exercise and pregnancy? I crossfit and I've been weightlifting for a number of years and I'd like to know how soon I'd need to think about cutting back due to overheating if I am pregnant? Info online seems to be hugely variable and I am mostly worried about the overheating type issues. A number of pregnancy websites I read suggest that you should not do any exercise at intensity which leaves you sweating after you stop but that would rule out even beach walks for me as I am a sweat fountain (and it is peak summer here so that doesn't help). Any help on this would appreciated.

With weightlifting you have to worry more about the relaxin being pumped into your system. You could potentially hurt yourself if you are doing heavy weights.
http://breakingmuscle.com/womens-fitness/pregnant-and-weight-lifting-you-may-want-to-reconsider

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Relaxin's peak is reached during the 14 weeks of the first trimester and at delivery. I was doing weight training right before I got pregnant and ended up stopping because of how exhausted I was and trying to keep up with everything else in my life. Towards the end I don't think I could have managed any weight training. My knees and hips felt really loose. I'm finally getting back into it now and my hips still feel looser than they use to an my knees don't feel the same. A benefit though is my form has become fantastic after having to move 24/7 with a big, not very flexible abdomen.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I tried for years to get pregnant and it turned out my thyroid was all messed up. I ended up developing graves disease and went on medication in September. I was pregnant by February. It was actually the first month my levels were normal too. If you are planning in getting pregnant make sure your endocrinologist knows. They might cater your treatment towards that since some thyroid treatments aren't pregnancy friendly. I was on methimazole for almost my entire pregnancy and everything turned out ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Your grandparents fertility issues might not be as big of a deal as you might think they are depending on what cause them. It could have been an RH factor issue that use to be a big deal but isn't a big deal anymore. I know my husband's grandmother had issues with getting pregnant and bringing a pregnancy to full term because of that, but by the time she got pregnant with his mom, all she needed was a shot. (She had his mom in her 40's) It might be worth investigating if that could have been the problem so you don't worry yourself about it.

• Locked thread