Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Armourking posted:

Try turning off Password Protected Sharing in the Network and Sharing Centre.

I already did. I actually tried turning it on just to see if I could access the files with the username and password, but Windows won't even prompt me for it and will instead just give me the generic error I mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Earl of Lavender posted:

You've given Everyone permissions under the Sharing tab, but does Everyone also have those same permissions under the folder's Security tab?

That's a good question. I've never actually had to do that before with other windows machines, though.

I'll give it a shot on Monday, thanks!

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Earl of Lavender posted:

You've given Everyone permissions under the Sharing tab, but does Everyone also have those same permissions under the folder's Security tab?

Just wanted to say that this was, in fact, the problem.

Is there a way to give permissions specifically to certain other network computers by their network name (ie: \\USERPC1\), instead of generically giving permissions to Everyone?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Couldn't you put them in a Homegroup and share only to that group?

There's a few Vista/XP machines in the network so that's a no-go.

Edit: I just realized that I'm answring a months-old post. For reference, I'm trying to setup a Windows network so that specific users in that network can only access specific files or folders (instead of having to share to "Everyone" or requiring every user to have an account created in the computer that's hosting the files).

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 5, 2013

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I'm replacing my desktop with a laptop.

I have an SSD on my desktop that I'd like to install on my laptop. However, because I'd like the SSD to be clean formatted before I move it, I'd like to clone the contents of the SSD into my desktop's remaining mechanical drive.

This is all basically so I can keep my Windows install on the desktop.

Is there any way to clone my C: partition into a partition of equal size on another drive?

Edit: I know this is the Windows software thread, but I'm willing and able to use Linux for this (something like gparted?).

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I understand that most Cloud File Storage services offer file versioning, but can any do bulk restoring of files to an earlier date?

We're thinking of moving our small business to Google Apps, but I use the free version of Google Drive and it strictly allows restoring files on a per-file basis, which is obviously inconvenient if you have 4000 files.

I'm mostly worried about stuff like CryptLocker hitting us and the latest version of all our files being encrypted both locally and online.

If Google Apps doesn't do it, does CrashPlan or any other file service? It seems CrashPlan does but the wording is vague enought that I can't be sure.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 14, 2013

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

crestfallen posted:

I haven't tried any time recently, and I'm not at my home computer to verify, but I believe CrashPlan can do this. IMO it's the best online backup service there is.

Thanks. If at all possible when you get home could you double check? I'm going to shoot an email to their support and check with them, as well.

Something like this would make me feel a lot better about not spending a fortune on local backups (we really don't have that many files to backup, so we can spare the network overhead a lot more than the infrastructure costs).

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I have a big, fat stack of pre-printed documents that I need to fill in with information. Instead of doing this all by hand, is there any way I can scan one of the documents and create a template out of it with text boxes I can type in?

One caveat: the documents aren't standard A4 legal size, they're some custom size, smaller than A4.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

I know Word will do this easily, and you can even use Infopath to make it easier.

Are you looking for an alternative to Office?

I have Word but I didn't see any function that would make this easy. Unless you're talking about just inserting the image into a word document and then adding a whole bunch of text boxes.

I tried that, but Word keeps loving up the margins and also doesn't import the image in a true-to-life manner so what looks good on the computer ends up not being representative of what gets printed out.

I could of course be massively loving up on my side, so if you tell me that it's easily doable I'll give it another shot.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I've recently migrated our small office, which runs all Windows machines, to Google Apps.

I have two outstanding issues right now that I really should've considered before migrating:

a) Most machines have been running POP email clients for years, and most of our e-mail is locally stored on each machine. I'd like to import most of that e-mail to GMAIL and switch to IMAP. Problem is that Google doesn't offer any easy option to import existing mail (other than POP fetch, but most of that mail isn't available on the old servers any more). Is there any software or workaround for this?

b) Our secretary currently uses Lotus Organizer, which is, of course, a piece of poo poo. I've exported all her contacts into a vCard file and imported them into Gmail. Other than some misorted information, it mostly worked out okay. The problem is that 1) Gmail's contact view is nice but not particularly good at replacing Lotus Organizer, 2) there's no offline access. Is there some Organizer software that will sync up with Google?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know any good contact management software that syncs up with Google?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Mulloy posted:

Whoever decided that "B/min" was a good counter to include in the resource monitor for Server 2008 is a bad person.

On an unrelated note, is there a counter to track Bytes/bits per second by individual process or end point? Pretty much everything is either a running total or "B/min".

Does Process Explorer work on Windows Server?

On regular Windows I can add columns to Process Explorer which display "Network Delta Received" and "Network Delta Sent" in B/s.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
This is kind of a strange question.

I work in a small family office: 5 computers (plus the occasional laptop), all running Windows 7-8. Right I keep everything working by tackling each machine individually and jerry-rigging everything together when there needs to be some sort of connectivity.

I'd like to start using GPOs to make sure all machines are up-to-date and that no-one is running around using admin privileges for everything and basically being a big 'ol infection vector. This would also allow me to centralize and manage user logons.

I don't have much of a technical background, I'm just "good at computers". I also see this as a chance to learn a new skill.

a) Is running a Windows Domain Controller easy enough to do without programming knowledge? Keep in mind I just want to do basic stuff like pushing updates, adjusting GPO policies to reduce as much as possible infection vectors, managing user logons, etc.

b) I Windows Server a requirement for this kind of thing? And if so,

c) What's the most "user-friendly" Windows Server?

d) Any recommended literature?

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 17, 2014

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I mean, is there a legit reason why this person would have access to so many surplus keys?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I'm having a small issue with Office 2013 where it won't remember windows size/position on shutdown, and instead whenever I open up the program the window will always be in the same spot. This is annoying because it always starts with the lower part of the window hidden behind the start bar which hides some of the elements.

Any quick fixes?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Not technically a Windows question, but I hope it's close enough:

Gmail allows you to add modifiers to your address using a (+) sign for easy filtering. So for example, if my address is johndoe@gmail.com, and I'm signing up for a BigHonkingDicks.com account (I'm afraid to check if that's a real website), I can type my address as johndoe+BHD@gmail.com. Emails still get to my regular johndoe account, but I can easily identify the source of the e-mail and filter it into spam or whatever.

The problem is that some websites don't let you use an address with a (+) in it. I seem to remember reading that Gmail also let you use some other modifiers, but for the life of me I can't find what they were.

Does anyone else know what they might be?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I knew about the periods. Not quite as useful as the (+) modifier, but oh well.

I'm still fairly sure that I've seen an article that mentioned (+) alternatives, but I might be misremembering.

Thanks, guys.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Automagically? No idea. You could always just any screen recorder, like Fraps, and let the .ppt file play while you go take a dump or something.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to set the default size for windows in Windows 8.1? My laptop screen has a lot of horizontal space and it gets annoying having to manually set every window to 3/4 of the screen, only for it to be reset the next time I reboot.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Sometime ago someone recommended me a software that added right-click menu option to securely delete any file. By securely delete I mean zero out the corresponding bits on the hard drive, or however that works so that the file can't be recovered.

I can't remember the name of it so I was hoping someone could point me the right way.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Armourking posted:

Eraser is quite good, and has the right-click menu.

That was it, thanks!

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Intrepid00 posted:

Careful, it is pretty much useless on an SSD.

It's a mechanical drive, but now I'm curious why this is.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Sir Unimaginative posted:

SSDs do not erase things like mechanical drives do.

Mechanical drives de/remagnetize a small bit of a metallic platter (or these days a glass platter with a metallic coating).

Solid-state drives tell a block of flash memory to reset itself.

This also makes data recovery off an SSD an exercise in futility.

Really, SSDs are little computers that handle flash memory and make it look like a SATA drive to your system. The drive map your system has is orthogonal to the drive map your SSD has, because it knows it's better at handling the flash memory than the OS is, maybe better than it could ever be.

Tiny bundles of witchcraft.

So basically if I delete something from Windows (including the Recycle Bin, of course) there's no way to recover it?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Excel, I recently had Excel 2013 spreadsheet "forget" that I had filters enabled, so I saved the file and when I reopened it, any cell that had been hidden when I last saved had been completely deleted.

Fortunately all my files are saved to Google Drive which saves different revisions of a file, meaning I could roll back without too much hassle.

Still, any idea why something like this could've happened? I've resorted to unhiding all filtered data before closing the file, but it's obviously not very practical.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Maybe you could convince them to budget in a VM hosted on some beefy hardware? That way you can just run Excel on the VM and they don't have to support it.

Then again, you might run into some issues because you'd technically be taking work files of the corporate network, so IDK.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I'm having a Word formatting issue.

I work with contracts quite a bit, and I'm trying to setup a Multilevel list template that I could use on a day to day basis. I basically need it to look as follows:

First.

Second.

Third

Etc.

My problem is that if I include the top (first) level into the second level, I end up with:

First
 First.1.
  First.1.1.

Any workarounds to this?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Bouchacha posted:

Can't you define the multilevel list and then have a different Number Style for each level?

I'm not sure what you mean. Could you elaborate a bit?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Bouchacha posted:

You can edit the formatting field to only include level number from level 2. The screenshot is exactly what you requested. Were you having other trouble?

Edit: oh wait, I think I misunderstood your question. You basically want "First" to be transcribed into "1" at lower level lists. Not sure if that's possible.

Yeah, I think it can't be done.

Thanks, anyway :).

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Bouchacha posted:

You could set level 1 to be roman numerals or something, and then do a find replace after you're all done.

Hah, well, eventually these contracts make their way into the outside world and a whole bunch of people look them over and modify them and most of them are completely useless with Word other than knowing how to enable Track Changes, so I'd rather keep it as simple as possible.

It's a good suggestion, though, I'll keep it in mind for projects where I have full control, thanks.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

crestfallen posted:

Why don't you just use stylized headings for the sections, then use a regular numbered list for the 1 and 1.1 parts? You can choose to have Word continue the list, so your second heading could say SECOND and continue the list with 2, 2.1 and so on.

Am I missing something?

I need the first heading to update automatically as well. Contracts can get pretty long and manually updating each heading would become impossible and also error-prone.

I'd also have to manually set the starting number of the "list" section to match the heading, each time.

I appreciate that it's a solution, but the idea is to automate it as much as possible to save time in the future. At this point I think I'm just going to switch the language to something like:

Clause I
 I.1
  I.1.1.

Clause II
 II.1
  II.1.1.

Thanks for the suggestions, though!

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Not exactly a Windows question, but not sure where this would go:

I need to create a simple callsheet for people within a fairly small community who are interested in playing tennis with other people.

My idea so far was to create a Google Spreadsheet with the following values:

Name - Experience (beginner, intermediate, advanced) - Email - Phone # - Available hours - Comments.

While this technically suits my needs, I was hoping to find a more user-friendly method that would let me lock down user input to specifically the fields they'd have to complete and would then auto-generate the list everytime.

Any free software or websites that I can use for this?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

crestfallen posted:

You can use Google Docs for this, just not the way you think. And with a caveat.

Make a form. When designing the form, only include the fields you want with the correct forms. Use good labels for the questions.

Send the results to a spreadsheet. Label the spreadsheet well. The form results will use the labels from your form. Then, share the form as view only with your people. Anyone can submit a form at any time and the results will always show up in the results spreadsheet.

The caveat is that people can't edit their own info. You could manage that yourself though by periodically scanning the sheet for duplicate info and using the most recent one. Or something.

This is a great suggestion, thanks. One thing, though. Where you said "Then, share the form as view only with your people", I'm assuming you meant "Share the spreadsheet"?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

dis astranagant posted:

How do you change a public network to a private one in Windows 8.1 if it doesn't show up on PC Settings>Network? It shows up fine in the network and sharing center.

hklm\software\microsoft\windowsnt\networklist\profiles doesn't seem to exist.

In network and sharing center you can click on the small icon on the left of the network name (iirc it's a bench for public networks) and the network type select window should pop up.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to create some sort of script, or batch file, or whatever, that will go through my Office documents and remove all of the Details in its Properties (I'm talking about Author, Last Saved By, Revision, Etc.).

I can do that manually right now, but I'd like the script to run every X amount of minutes or whatever.

I basically need something that will do this for me:

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think you can do this easily with powershell. I'll see if I can figure it out.

Edit:

Nevermind, word handles document properties in it's own weird way that doesn't play nicely with powershell. I'll keep working on it though, you're not the first person to think of this so there's scripts out there.

Edit2:

I'm working on this from home and I don't think I've got all the .Net framework stuff that I need but this looks like the key tool you'll need:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.office.interop.word.wdremovedocinfotype(v=office.15).aspx

Thanks for the effort. I've never touched Powershell in my life, but I'll look into it when I get home.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

It's kind of true, though. Take my dad, for example. I put Windows 8 in his PC and he loving hated it, until I set up his tiles just right (Word/Excel/Outlook - Chrome - Weather/News/Control Panel) and now he loving loves it because everything is huge and clear and obviously clickable.

Obviously each use-case varies, but Tiles aren't a bad idea in and of themselves.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

doctorfrog posted:

Can someone recommend freeware for making symbolic links? (And perhaps a short article that explains the concept.) Win 7 64-bit.

http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/linkshellextension.html

This popped up in one of the freeware threads ages ago. It's great.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is there any software that will help me parse a PDF file with text in it (text is all selectable, it's not a scanned image) and extract specific information out of it. Bonus points it will export to Excel.

Specifically, I want to grab my bank statement and export it to an Excel file.

I don't live in the US so unfortunately I can't use Mint or similar services.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

Never used it, but here's something.

They also have a command-line tool that would help you automate it.

Personally, I'd use Python and one of the PDF parser libraries...

This is pretty much exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Well, even if Dropbox synced all the poo poo files, they allow you to go back in time via the website.

The lovely thing about that is that you can only do it on a per-file basis, which is super dumb.

At least that's how it was when I last researched cloud storage.