Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

Is there a way to move a program/functionality from the "Open With..." context submenu into the main right-click context menu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

Klyith posted:

Yes, but I don't know of any easy app for it. The stuff that's easy to use is limited to just enable / disable of existing entries, and the stuff that's full featured looks just as complicated as editing the registry yourself.

If you want to jump into regedit, the CLASSES section is one of the most straightforward and easy to understand. Here's the easy thing to look at and see if you can figure it out:
1. Open regedit
2. Expand the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT section
3. Scroll down in that list until you see a folder labeled ".txt". Observe what's in that.
4. Now scroll down to find "txtfile", and observe what's in that.

OK so I get the gist that each folder in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT is settings for a filetype, but the things in the txt folder are not particularly intuitive. I can understand the jpg folder a bit better because there are obvious things like "OpenWithList" subfolders, but not well enough to do anything with this information.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

Can someone recommend a good data recovery program? I ran a backup of about 150GB of data onto an external drive last night and everything seemed fine but this morning the drive is unusable (my guess is it overfragmented itself) . Unfortunately in addition to backup data I had about 200GB of other data on that drive that is not backed up elsewhere. The drive is mostly functional because windows was able to fix a few hundred indexing issues and repair some bad clusters but I still cannot access the drive normally, and would like to duplicate as much of the data as I can before formatting the drive.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

Klyith posted:

Fragmentation does not produce an unusable / unreadable drive. The worst it can do is make the drive incredibly slow. Unfortunately for you, this is probably worse than that. Best case scenario is this was a spate of bad clusters in bad places but the drive otherwise works.

I have used Recuva in the past for a partially-failed drive where some parts of the drive were accessible. It's not the best, but it's free & very simple. Stepping up from that, DMDE is more powerful and has a pretty generous free trial (recover 4000 files at a time, unlimited repeats).

Both of these will work by scanning the drive bit by bit and trying to reconstruct files even when filesystem metadata is missing or garbage.

Don't get snookered into paying a lot of money for data-recovery software. Software only goes so far; if those two can't read the drive enough to see stuff you will need professional data recovery.

Thank you. So far I have been having good luck with this. I first tried Recuva and it managed to find some 400,000 files that I had deleted on purpose, but this was not what I needed so I moved on to DMDE. I tested it on a couple small folders that were very nice to get back, such as my B-tier old vacation photos, pictures of my late cat, etc. At the moment it is about 15% done recovering the first of two massive potential losses that prompted me to ask my question. Currently it is working on a big old 100-GB of data from past professional projects that are conveniently sitting in ZIP/RAR files in one big directory. I had less luck with recovering my massive music collection, which would be irreplacable since about 80% is an academic collection I got about 15 years ago from a scholar (plus a lot of the remaining 20% is semi-niche stuff from my personal collection that I digitized ages ago and lost the physical media in a move). To be clear, I had no issue recovering files from that collection yet but the trial version is only allowing one subdirectory at a time so right now it looks like just a question of whether it is worth shelling out for a paid version to avoid the labor of manually recovering hundreds of albums one by one. All told it appears to be primarily a metadata issue with very minimal actual corruption or damage, so I am very grateful for everyone's help and it looks like I will eventually get all my data back.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

Klyith posted:

I hope it works out for you!

And I know this is the shittiest time to hear it, but backups yo! They're important! Data that isn't in two places isn't backed up, and that is data that you will eventually lose.

(It took me two instances of losing poo poo before I learned my lesson.)

I know! Running big backups on crucial data is what caused this! I always follow the two-place rule... except this week I had to make a massive amount of space for a new project and my 'third' drive hasn't shipped yet. This morning I was cursing the heavens because I was about to lose data I've successfully shepherded for twenty years by always having a spare drive for it.