Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I honestly don't even worry about windows keys anymore. You can get a Windows 10 Pro key for $5 on ebay if you're just building one at home or whatever.

Obviously don't do that at work/enterprise environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Ynglaur posted:

Windows 10 keys are $5? :stare:

You can find them for $5 (or cheaper) on ebay. Ebay doesent like it and will ban sellers quick, but I've bought a ton of them through the years and never really had an issue.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Really not sure which thread this question should go in, but here:

I'm looking for some sort of software that will automatically change the refresh rate of my monitor when I launch certain applications - I thought this would be a fairly simple thing, but I cannot find a straight answer on google.

Use case is, knocking my 144hz monitor back down to 60hz for certain games. I have a gigabyte m32qc monitor, and AMD RX580 (soon to by 6700XT whenever I get around to putting it in my PC) if that makes a difference.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Tesseraction posted:

Shouldn't your Radeon be able to do that with Application Profiles? https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh3-012#faq-Application-Profiles

Pvt. Parts posted:

I also wonder why you want to do that?

I like to play C&C3: Tiberium Wars every once in awhile, but scrolling around the map looks terrible on this monitor. The game is hardlocked by the devs to run at a max of 30fps, and I thought using my monitor in 144hz mode was causing the issue.

However, I just switched my monitor to 60hz and scrolling around on the map still looked terrible so...now I don't know.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

oh no computer posted:

Does your monitor support freesync?

Yes, it does! Although I get confused with all the different freesync settings and modes and stuff.

Tesseraction posted:

Was it smoother before? If so was that on a lower resolution monitor?

The game was released in 2007 - it's definitely not a performance issue in that regard.

Klyith posted:

Could be the overshoot / overdrive causing inverse ghosting? RTS games are some of the worst for that, after side-scollers. Find whatever the OSD calls the overdrive setting and set it to the max quality mode or whatever the opposite of "gaming mode" is.

Also in general since you have a freesync monitor you want to be using freesync in your GPU control panel + vsync turned on in games... but most monitors with VFR also have a minimum refresh rate and 30hz might be too slow.

I will check this - thanks!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Tesseraction posted:

I get that but what I mean is that some things that looked all right on smaller monitors can look like poo poo at higher resolution because your eyes do some of the interpolation and if the difference is bigger you just can't do it. Sometimes just playing the game windowed can end up looking better.

Gotcha - totally possible, I guess.

Really everything looks fine, until I start scrolling the map around. Seems like it "judders" and is extremely unpleasant to look at.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Rexxed posted:

It does kind of annoy me that Ninite has TeamViewer who are real pricks about free usage even if you're not commercial over AnyDesk who will get mad at 70 connections a month but you can just email them to let them know it's like, to your laptop on the same LAN and over to a PC on your other LAN and unblock it. I'd just use VNC but I've been lazy about setting up a router to bridge my LANs together (two ISPs).

I've been using dwsservice for a few years for my remoting into friends/family and own PC needs. Works well, check em out.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Ynglaur posted:

Other than "don't plug it into a hub and hope you have a port on the laptop", are there any good troubleshooting steps to prevent video from my camera being choppy on Teams calls?

For reference, my camera connects through a USB 3.0 hub in a Razer Core X Chroma, which then connects to the laptop via Thunderbolt. The Core X Chroma has two Thunderbolt controllers: one for the eGPU, and one for the 4 x USB 3.0 ports.

Is it just in Teams calls, or does the choppy video also occur in Zoom/Webex/Google Meets etc? When you say your camera is choppy, do other users report your audio dropping out at the same time, or just the video?

I would take a look at your CPU usage while you're on these calls. Teams is especially CPU heavy. I kinda doubt it's a USB/Thunderbolt bandwidth issue.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The OP is out of date (lol) so I'll ask - what's everyone using for playing their local music library these days? I don't, and don't want to, subscribe to Spotify or anything, I just have my music on my internal computer storage. I normally use iTunes but I realised I haven't had an iPod to sync it with in a few years, so I thought I'd see if there's anything popular other than iTunes.

The current release of Winamp isn't useable as far as I'm concerned due to its archaic UI, though I am keen to see the redesigned release when it's out. MediaMonkey made my eyes bleed with its garish interface. Windows Media Player in Windows 11 isn't bad, and MusicBee has some nice features. Really what I'd like is something that duplicates the Genius function of iTunes, though I know even Apple has deprecated that on everything they've developed for years and iTunes is just in maintenance mode now.

Barking up a dead tree?

I had a pretty good solution going with a Plex server & Plexamp around two years ago (before I switched to Spotify lol). Maybe try that out. I was very happy with it, but decided to jump on a Spotify family plan because I was tired of janitoring the collection.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

FunOne posted:

I'm temporarily stuck using my desktop on Wifi. Is there a way to force windows to stay locked to my main AP instead of trying to roam around regularly? It keeps trying to jump to an AP on the other side of the house.

I've got it locked on the AP side of things, so it cannot talk to the other APs, but that doesn't prevent it from trying a few times a day. I'd like to just keep and hold its current connection.

I guess the other option is to make ANOTHER wireless network just for the desktop and limit it to the single AP. I'd rather just tell windows to stop flirting around and stick with the AP it came with.

What kind of access points do you use? If you happen to use Ubiquiti, this is an option they introduced in a firmware update awhile back.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Klyith posted:

The correct way to do this is use netplwiz or regedit to turn on an automatic login.

This is better because you still have a password on the account, which protects against possible remote attacks. (But the password is stored in plaintext in the registry, so that's something to be aware of in sensitive contexts.)

I believe Autologon by sysinternals is the way to do this now:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autologon

quote:

[!WARNING] Although the password is encrypted in the registry as an LSA secret, a user with administrative rights can easily retrieve and decrypt it. (For more information see Protecting the Automatic Logon Password )

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

GreenNight posted:

This fixed the exact issue you're experiencing on various Surfaces

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

and then

sfc /scannow

slidebite posted:

Thanks for that, it did indeed start working, but I'll keep this in mind in case it happens again.

lol

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Yes, that is exactly what I was laughing at.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
You have to disable the mic on the headset via the sound options in windows. Not ideal, but that’s the only way to avoid having apps access the mic and forcing it over to the lovely sound profiles.

I use my Sony Bluetooth headphones on my pc with that setup and it works. If I want to use a mic, I have a wireless mod mic I stick on the side of it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Now that Macrium has changed it's licensing, what is the best tool to clone a drive? Classic scenario of cloning one SSD to another for replacement. Preferable free, and works in Windows.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Klyith posted:

1. The 30-day free trial of Macrium
2. The final free-forever version of Macrium
3. A linux boot stick with gparted

Ah, that final free forever version of Macrium should do the trick. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

namlosh posted:

I just did this a couple of months ago on my moms machine and it worked perfectly. Felt weird to download the software from MajorGeeks or whatever but it worked like a charm. You better believe I saved that installer for future use

Yeah I've used Macrium for this stuff before, but I know they recently changed their licensing model and didn't know the old free installer was still floating around.

The drive is cloning as we speak.