Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Any suggestions for programs that monitor bandwidth usage? Preferably something that can give a daily and monthly overview and doesn't have too many unnecessary bells and whistles.

I already tried several programs from C-Net, but they had incredibly sketchy installers, except for the most popular one which doesn't even work on Win7 X64.

Edit: Something that doesn't crash on start-up would be good.
Or isn't limited to only logging 100 mb per day.
:negative:

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

My computer/tablet (Surface Pro running Win 8) has stopped changing resolution when I launch full-screen games. Instead, the game just takes up a smaller part of the screen, so an 800x600 game takes up a tiny box in the middle of a black screen.

Any idea on what setting controls this? If it was a monitor I could just reset it to default, but this is a tablet and I'm at a loss as to where I can change the behaviour in Windows.

Edit: This started probably a month or two ago. I'm not sure what, if anything might have changed, unfortunately.
Edit 2: Under the compatibility tab for the exe, checking and unchecking "Disable display scaling" has no effect.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 21, 2013

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Sir Unimaginative posted:

A Surface Pro is simply a general-purpose computer with an integrated screen and no physical keyboard. Handle its software problems like you would with the Windows machine on your desk.

I'm guessing either the 8.1 update or a driver update did a thing.

Thanks, that's what I'm trying. Unfortunately I've been unable to find any setting inside of the Windows control panel that turns off letterboxing. My external monitor has a setting for doing that automatically... unfortunately the tablet doesn't come with any buttons for that, so I'm hoping it's changeable within Windows.

I haven't actually updated to 8.1 yet, so I'll give that a shot tonight. Failing that I'll try rolling back the HD4000 drivers unless there are any other suggestions.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Did you install your graphics driver from downloadcenter.intel.com, or from Windows Update, or from somewhere else?

I believe I downloaded it from intel's website, but it' been a while. All is well now though! Updating to Windows 8.1 and then manually lowering the resolution once seems to have "unstuck" the resolution.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The Surface Pro's palm detection works pretty much flawlessly in my experience. Nice to know that it works via hardware. There were some issues with the pen not being recognized when the keyboard was attached but that seems to have beeen fixed.

The text recognition is also surprisingly good so long as you are writing in english.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jan 14, 2014

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Are there any free pdf readers that also allow editing? I just want to remove some unnecessary pages from a document before emailing it, but the programs I'm used to (Foxit, SumatraPDF) don't seem to allow any editing at all.

Plan B would be rescanning the document as something other than pdf, but I don't have easy access to a scanner at the moment.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

Take a look at PDF Split and Merge if removing pages is all of the sort of editing you need to do.

Thanks, that worked perfectly.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

At some point, the file association for .BIN files on my computer has been changed to VLC player. I have a couple bin files that should actually run on their own, I guess they are executables of some sort?. Except now they can't, and while I can change what program they are associated with, I'm not sure how to just run them on their own.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I've been getting some strange behaviour when I have multiple tabs (over 6 or so) open in the Metro browser (win 8.1) and try to browse through them in the preview that pops up from the bottom of the screen. Sometimes when I hover the mouse cursor over a tab, the one to the left is selected instead, making the rightmost tab impossible to select. Sometimes some tabs can't be selected at all. Any idea as to what's going on here?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Metro IE stops buffering youtube videos whenever I switch tabs or apps. There's probably a really simple solution to this, but so far all I've found via google is people bitching about Windows 8. Help! This is on windows 8.1.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The Metro Surface central control lock-in BS Windows Store or whatever side of Windows doesn't do background processes well, and background multimedia basically not at all. It might carve out an exception for things that declare themselves as media players :shrug: but if the app doesn't already have it I don't think you can force it.

kalstrams posted:

Solution is fairly simple - don't use Metro IE, it's complete garbage.

Thanks, guess I'll have to live with it for now.

I'm currently using a surface pro 2 as a touchscreen music player/browser in a cafe, so Metro IE's touch-friendly interface is ideal for saving time and counter-space.

Or it would be, if Microsoft had taken multi-tasking into account when designing their operating system... Really basic issues like this make me wonder if there was any QA time spent observing people actually using Metro in normal day-to-day tasks.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It's not like all laptops/tablets don't already have customizable power profiles and automatically detect if they are running on batteries anyways. Maybe it was just easier to code power saving features into the apps themselves.

Windows 10 can't come soon enough please, god please be good

OldPueblo posted:

I'm pretty sure there are YouTube apps that will continue playing in the background. Metrotube, Hypertube, I think.

Thanks I'll take a look at these.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

So I can't log in to my live.com email account. Going through the lost password process just changes the password for my microsoft account, leaving me still unable to get into the live.com account. What gives?

Here's the steps I took, to the best of my recollection:

1. I have two emails - a gmail account for personal stuff and a live account (actually used to be hotmail way back) which I use for purchasing stuff online, newsletters and other stuff that tends to attract spam.

2. I also have a microsoft login which I was forced to create when I got Windows 8. It established yet another new email account, but I chose to link it to my gmail account instead, rather than juggle 3 emails at the same time.

3. I changed the password to the live.com account recently as I was travelling, and did not have access to my keeppass file with all my passwords at the time.

4. I forget what the new password was. Changing the password just changes the login to my Microsoft account, which, confusingly uses my gmail accounts address. The actual gmail.com email still uses an old password, which I recall quite well.

I hope that all makes sense. I'm having trouble understanding it, or even figuring out how to formulate it for a google search.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Good question.

The live account is accessable (or it was) through Metro's mail program. I added it a long time ago. Perhaps that has something to do with it.

I'm going to try resetting the password via a different computer tomorrow, for lack of any other ideas.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Ynglaur posted:

That Mail app is weird.

So, I've discovered that the Mail app is still recieving emails through my live account, even though the password has changed. I just can't send anything, or log in to the live account anywhere else :psyduck:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm trying to pinpoint the cause of an extreme slowdown on my Win 8.1 computer. Navigating Firefox is slow as hell, games run slowly (even ASCII games) and so on. It starts every Saturday (I think) at some point in the morning and clears up in the evening. I can't find anything unusual in the task scheduler, and I don't have any antivirus program scheduled to run at a specific time.

Of course I realize one can never rule out malware. Still, Defender, Malwarebytes and Spybot can't detect anything, and it would be really odd for malware to run only one day a week.

Any suggestions as to where to look next?

Plan B is to flatten and reinstall, but I don't have much spare time, or space to back up all of my files for that matter :(

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Khablam posted:

Resource manager whilst it's on a go-slow to determine whether something is actually running?

I was watching it and disk/cpu/wifi usage didn't seem to be doing anything unusual. I'm a bit wary of the resource manager though, I remember last year I got some bitcoin mining malware (completely my own fault) which slowed everything to a standstill, yet resource manager said everything was fine.

Is it normal to have like a dozen copies of svchost runnning?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Any recommendations for a program to check how saturated the wifi is in an area?

5ghz works fine in my apartment but my roommates can only use 2.4ghz and it's constantly dropping out. I'm thinking switching channels might help.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

hooah posted:

If you have an Android phone, Wifi Analyzer works well to tell you the existing SSIDs, their strengths, and their channels.

iphone, unfortunately.

I read something about Apple removing all apps of this type from its store but I have no idea why.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

dont be mean to me posted:

If your computer has Wi-Fi (and is ideally not a desktop) but not Windows 10, there's probably still a Win32 app for it somewhere? I've noticed most of the good ones have paywalled themselves lately.

If you have any version of Windows 10 there's a decent Wifi Analyzer-style app on the Store, named (natch) WiFi Analyzer.

Or there's probably something really cool on some Linux LiveCD only available in an extremely local 'zine from Europe or something.

Thanks, that windows store app seems to work fine.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Doing a long delayed refresh of my various account passwords. What does a Microsoft account now include? They rolled in skype and outlook at some point, anything else?

Edit: found the answer. Everything in the list below shares the same email and password. Jesus.

quote:

Windows 8 and later
Windows Server 2012 and later
Windows components
Calendar
Cortana
Groove Music
Feedback Hub
Mail
Movies & TV
Microsoft Store
Outlook Express
Windows Messenger
Windows Phone 7 and later
Windows Phone Store
Bing
Exchange Online
Exchange Online Protection
Microsoft Office
Office 365
Office Online
OneDrive (formerly SkyDrive)
Outlook.com (formerly Hotmail)
People
Visual Studio
Microsoft Azure (formerly Windows Azure)
Windows Insider Program
Windows Live Messenger
Windows Movie Maker
Windows Photo Gallery
Xbox Live

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 22, 2020

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

Microsoft office. Your windows login, unless you jumped through the hoops needed for a local only account. The new Chromium based Microsoft Edge if you plan on using it.

Thanks, the list I found wasn't updated for the Edge.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I went through a horrible cycle of constantly resetting the passwords for skype, office and windows back when I got a Win8 computer and before I figured out the accounts were now all linked. Lost permanent access to an old hotmail account I had been using since I was a kid. Suffice to say I'd rather not link more services together under the same password.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I've had some strange behaviour with language packs disappearing and reappearing on windows 10. I use several, because I write in two languages and while my keys fit my native language, it's sometimes useful to have the keyboard set to an english set-up even if it doesn't match the keys. US english (US keyboard) vanished from the settings yesterday and it wasn't available for installation from language settings either. I installed UK english and keyboard instead. Today, US is suddenly back.

This is kinda loving with my workflow since I have to switch languages on the go in class.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

nurmie posted:

I've been having a similar issue, starting from yesterday. I have 2 language packs, one of them is UK English. For some reason US English randomly appeared in the task bar menu yesterday, while not actually being in the installed language packs list, and I can't get rid of it now

Huh, that's odd. This occurrence doesn't even line up with MS's tuesday patch routine.

I was able to remove the extraneous US english keyboard (UK is fine) but for some reason, removing it also removed the Canadian English keyboard which I had installed. Luckily not a big deal since I rarely use French characters these days, but wtf?

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jul 25, 2020

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Get an app that provides an overview of what's taking up space on the drive. WinDirStat is pretty simple and free.

A blank installation of Windows takes up around 50 gb but it can vary depending on updates and what MS apps are installed. I've seen them bloat up to over 100 GB.

E: For the the best performance, install windows and games on the SSD and store everything else on the hard disk. Assuming a 256GB ssd, you'll be pretty limited in how many (recent, huge) games you can have installed.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Aug 5, 2020

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

repiv posted:

Every device with a fingerprint scanner I've used has had this requirement, because no scanner is 100% reliable

If your finger is damp it probably won't work

Well thanks, now I know why fingerprint scanners rarely work for me. That's me, the guy with perpetually sweaty hands.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I like CCleaner because I can empty the recycle bin, wipe browser history, uninstall programs and decide what programs run at start-up* all in one convenient spot. The alternative would be 20 minutes of dicking around with 2 browsers and the Control Panel.

Don't think I've used the registry cleaner in years. The only noticeable thing it did was clean the start menu of uninstalled programs and I stopped using the start menu because it keeps changing.

*It only shows a fraction of what runs at start-up, presumably to keep people from disabling stupid poo poo and breaking stuff.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Fame Douglas posted:

Why would one need to clear browser & app caches on the regular?

Also, to edit autorun entries, you can simply open the task manager and go to the "Startup" tab. For more advanced control that includes Scheduled tasks etc., Microsoft's Autoruns is very handy.

Yeah, the task manager provides an overview and there's also Task Scheduler if one wants to mess around with services.

Clearing browsers of cookies(because inevitably some site requires them) and history is probably the most useful. App caches inevitably get built up again so its a bit of a Sisyphean task.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

This is a dumb suggestion, but its saved me from troubleshooting strange issues a couple times now with new PC builds: Re-seat the gpu and ram as well as any cables. Turns out real weird poo poo can happen if some components have a loose connection, and googling the issues leads down a rabbit hole of hardware tests and driver problems instead of hinting that one might not have jammed a part in with enough force.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah, configurable usb numpads are a relatively cheap solution.

If by chance you’re a musician and have a midi controller laying about, they can also be made to work with autohotkey with a little googling and experimentation.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah, I mean the ideal solution is something like one of the Akai controllers that are basically a bunch of big buttons with led feedback. There’s nothing stopping you from using goofy poo poo like a midi theremin though.

Thinking some more about it, a mixing board wouldn’t be a bad way to control for yaw, pitch and thrust.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

What’s the current recommendation for checking temperatures and FPS on a computer? I’m setting up a new laptop and just want to test how it copes under load.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

Hwinfo64 is by far the best if you're just trying to monitor stuff IMO.

Thank you, the logging is nice and it gives a ton of feedback.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Every time I try to change active hours (for windows update, so it doesn't try to restart when I'm in the middle of something), the changes revert back to the default after a couple seconds. What's the deal here?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Also take a look at notifications in the control panel - it may be possible to turn a lot of it off. You can also consider turning off Focus Assist. It's supposed to silence notifications while an app is open, but it likes to make little "I'm helping!" notifications when it does this :downs:

Serious question: did UAC trigger for a lot more things in ye olden days? I seem to remember it popping up all the time, but these days its only when I install something or if I'm changing permissions on something.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

HalloKitty posted:

In Vista, yeah. You can get Vista's default behaviour back in newer versions

Ahh thanks, yeah that fits with the Vista pc I was using years ago. Don't recall seeing UAC pop up for much after Win7 (and I got an income and stopped pirating shady apps).

Factor Mystic posted:

I run with focus assist on 24/7 so that notification just light up the icon rather than pop out, and I've never seen this

I got Focus Assist pop-ups on my new laptop when I first got it. If I had to guess, it's probably a default setting when Windows first initializes. Maybe it was added in a feature update or something.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I mean, there's an argument to be made for the convenience of managing what apps run on start-up, uninstalling apps, clearing the browser cache and emptying the recycle bin, all in one UI.

In windows 10 the alternative is searching for each separate panel with keywords in the start menu or navigating around the control panel which is kind of a mess.

The registry cleaner is an archaic holdover though.

E: I wouldn't have any complaints if the control panel was easier to navigate actually. Does something like Classic Shell but for the control panel exist?

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Dec 9, 2020

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Windows 10 has native support for most of display fusion’s features. The only thing I miss is all the options for positioning wallpapers across multiple screens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hey, I don't suppose there is a way to uncouple skype from a windows account? I use my skype from other computers when travelling, seems unwise to use the same log-in for something that can be used to access all my devices as well as my credit card info. E: I think I unlinked my gmail accounts from MS' mail app so at least it doesn't also give access to my email.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Dec 30, 2020