Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I ... think I'm in over my head. I work at a 50-man department that's a part of a larger group (and Windows domain) within a yet larger organization. Our IT department sees the group we're in as a backwater to be ignored with some minimum of support, so they're tentatively testing Win7, and have no plans to move from office 2007.

The Windows license does allow me to install it on our computers, so I can work around their continued love of XP (and I've cleared that with them). Office, however ...

I'd like to buy a site or at least many-user license of office for the department and upgrade everyone. Given that I'll get no help (though also no opposition) from the people running the domain servers, and that we're not a separate company, what sort of license and price could I possibly get? Should I give up and just keep trying to pressure the central IT people to buy a site license for something newer for everyone?

I have very little idea what sort of deal has been negotiated with MS centrally , and I'm honestly not in a position where I can easily find out. (There are also levels of "centrally". We're a research group; the research supergroup is some hundred people, the hospital conglomerate we're in employs some thousand people, they're part of a healthcare org that's the largest employer in the country, and ultimately it's owned by the state. God only knows which of those layers have negotiated deals.)

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Mar 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

thebigcow posted:

You are in over your head, don't make this your problem.

Right. Just for once, I think I'll follow advice given.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I would just generally recommend taking a quick look at what diskpart can do - it's a simple and powerful tool. In this case, something like this:
code:
list disk
select disk N
clean
create partition primary
format fs=exfat quick
assign

It may still fail, but at least it should get you a slightly better error message.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I'm not sure which thread this should be in, but this seems as appropriate as anything.

When you exclude a file from the Recently Used list in Windows, it won't show up there again. Presumably this means it has been added to some sort of "ignore these" list somewhere, but where? It doesn't seem to be a file property or an alternate data stream, and none of the matches for the filename in the registry seem relevant either.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Klyith posted:

That's the incorrect assumption: removing things from recently used files / folders / programs is not a permanent exclusion. Recent files in a taskbar jumplist will show back up immediately, open the file again and it's back. Folders might take longer -- I have no idea what makes windows decide a folder belongs on recently used, it seems very inconsistent.
Not in my very simple testing - I made a word file and saved it, which made it show up. Excluded it, and it disappeared. Opened it again, changed it, saved it, opened it again, and it's still not back. This also matches what little I've found written about it - though I don't know if this is best described as "supposed to show back up, but is unreliable" or "supposed to be permanently excluded but is unreliable".

quote:

The place where windows stores recent item info is in the registry in HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ComDlg32\, but it's all in a hex-encoded format that doesn't show up with a straight search for the filename.

Oh right, that's an interesting place - thanks.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

They are also useful on web pages - HTML collapses any and all whitespace inside text down to a single space, and IIRC entirely strips it in any other context. Non-breaking spaces are the exception, making them useful when you want a little bit of padding that will survive long enough to have a visible effect.

As for frustrations, my partner has a curious problem of zero-width spaces showing up in his documents, including between letters in source files, where they merrily produce the weirdest error messages while being nigh impossible to find. It can sometimes be useful to use iconv to reduce plain text files down to ISO-8859-15 and back up to UTF-8 just to wash out anything weirder than an underscore. Probably not useful for your problem, though; I imagine you have formatting and structure you'd rather not lose.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

codo27 posted:

Is there a program out there that can take video feeds from various IP cameras/NVRs from different manufacturers and display them all at once cleanly?

I have zero experience with this, but would it be possible to set up an OBS scene displaying all the camera streams?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

IIRC, the modern office formats are a bit peculiar about the ordering of files inside the zip container - I think the manifest file has to be the first entry. Not an unsurmountable problem or anything, but it can be a bit fiddly.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

These days, I even think you can tell windows No to All when it asks about overwriting. Somehow.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I live with the guy who wrote EdgeDeflector (which redirects start menu searches to your default browser), and a solid chunk of the feedback he gets is "can you also make it redirect from bing to google".

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

There's also the different ways they have integrated onedrive through the years, I believe one of those used some kind of placeholder entry that was different from hard/soft links or shortcut files. Maybe that is still kicking around in the kernel for Google to use?

Ah, I'm thinking about reparse points, the underlying tech they use to store most nonstandard files - it sounds like Google could definitely write something based on those to implement fetch-on-demand files.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Sep 28, 2021

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The .local addresses are from mdns - which is a local network broadcast system; it does not use your router or dns server.

You can try asking your router directly - something like nslookup mypc 192.168.0.1 , with the appropriate hostname and the ip of your router.

Another thing to think about is the default domain: your router can and probably does send a default domain in its DHCP responses- basically telling the clients "you live in this domain". It will typically also be used in dns queries, so if the domain is "home.arpa" and you try to connect to "box", windows will quietly try box.home.arpa as well.

It may of course just be that your router doesn't do dynamic dns updates, and the difference between the machines is if they quietly fall back on mdns or not.

Oh, and the appropriate domain for this sort of use is apparently home.arpa - which was only reserved a few years ago. I hadn't heard about it before my partner tried to find a definite answer to what was best practice while setting up our router (again) - it's his article (and my photo).

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

astral posted:

I feel like there’s significant confusion between netbios, dns, and Bonjour going on here.

Here's a somewhat-outdated article that covers some of the basics:
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-netbios-name-resolution-really-works/

Does modern windows still use/support netbios names? I assume AD has been DNS only for ages, but in a home setting I guess mDNS is the first real replacement.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Day to day, Word causes me less frustration than Illustrator. I'm not sure if that's despite or because we're stuck on office 2010.

(Though it's also a low bar; editing PDFs generated elsewhere in Illustrator is an experience.)

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Libreoffice Draw has also quietly grown into a decent tool - I know a couple of people who use it to adjust pdf figures for scientific papers because its easier than fighting with Illustrator.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

doctorfrog posted:

Wait, you can edit PDFs competently with Draw? Never even thought to try, I just assumed it would be a poo poo show.

The ones from R/ggplot seem to do ok, at least?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

fletcher posted:

My screen saver, auto-lock, and monitor auto-off started working yesterday out of nowhere. Don't recall installing any Windows Updates, or updating any drivers. So weird!

I have windows 11 on my laptop, and it seems to be sleeping at times i don't expect it to - so as an experiment, I plugged it in, and set it to "display off after 5 min, power off never when plugged it" - and left it running something heavy. Five minutes later the fan spins down, and it's definitely asleep.

I mean, the display is definitely off, I'll give them that much.

Oh , and regarding Elex, I haven't played it but generally trust Rockpapershotgun - not that I always agree with them, but their reviews feel like a real person played a game and then wrote about the experience, which is rarer than you'd hope. The title kind of gives away his take, here: In its opening hour ELEX finds new ways to be terrible

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Oh yeah, then you have a lot of things to try - there's been some fun games this decade (like any decade since the 70's, but you get what I mean).

In no particular order, and with varying system requirement:

Opus Magnum is a neat if sometimes frustrating puzzle game. Hades is a "run around and hack monsters apart" game with great writing. Factorio is mostly about the joy of designing and improving huge systems, with a spot of tower defense and vehicular alien slaughter; runs ok on a mid-range microwave, and is great multiplayer. Rimworld is even less demanding on your system, but it's a great, deep, "idiots trying to survive on a hostile planet" base building game. I liked both the new XCOM games, but the second one was better in every way.

Cities Skylines is sim city but the only really hard part is managing the traffic while still making your huge sprawling city look pretty. Europa Universalis and Crusader Kings both let you rule a medieval country and try to make do, but the former focuses on the expansion and country, while the latter is more about the intrigue and idiocy of the rulers. Oh and endless space and endless legend are fun, somewhere left of Civilization with weirder story and better battles. Hell, even Civ 6 has grown up into a good game. 5, too. And 4.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 10, 2021

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I kind of like diskpart - it allows you to interactively work your way up to what you want to do inside one self-contained tool, and it's fairly easy to use.

I may be weird, though.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Get Rstudio approved as a statistical analysis and visualisation tool, and then do all your general programming in R.

And no I'm not joking. That's exactly the state of things on the hospital network at work.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

mobby_6kl posted:

Man loving Teams apparently keeps all chat history forever with no way to clear it lol. With Skype I had to jump through hoops to keep logs for like a week in case I accidentally closed a window or something but here it's just all there to come back and haunt you at any time

Doesn't the GDPR require MS to have a privacy contact person clearly advertised, and to delete your private data on request rather quickly? Not exactly something you do automatically every Friday, but it should be there as a worst case option. (Offer not valid outside Europe and all that.)

Of course, this gets more complicated if your employer has a valid interest in those logs.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

There's a lot of videos on YouTube that pit different AV programs against one another. Some seem better than others. What's the story there?

They are different, and some are better than others. It's just that it's kind of like comparing third party bluetooth stacks - even if you can rank them relative to each other, you don't need to touch that category at all.

I mean, it's theoretically possible that one of the paid ones performs better than defender; it's far from perfect. But it's also likely that none of them do, given the realities of budgets and internal knowledge and access of the Defender team vs the external antivirus companies. And even if one of them still, somehow, is a bit better; is it worth paying for?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Both can be true at the same time, if Defender would also have caught it.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm not 100% clear on what you mean, but what I was trying to say is that Defender is still antivirus and I have seen it stop quite a bit. I don't tell people they don't need AV these days, just that they don't need 3rd party AV.

I thought you were describing the merits of third party antivirus, if that clears it up.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

tuyop posted:

Search Deflector stop working for anyone else?

Edge deflector? Microsoft basically changed their "which program is associated with this protocol" handler to ignore the association set for microsoft-edge:// and just always launches edge, which breaks the way it worked, ref ctrl.blog. We spent some time digging in debugger logs, and basically concluded that it's not fixable without getting stupid. (Daniel, the author, is my partner.)

The replacement you'll see recommended is some sort of compiled script for a hotkey tool that looks for Edge launching, and then picks out the URL from the command line parameters, kills edge again, and launches the rewritten URL. Really ugly, but I guess it works - though sadly I don't remember offhand what it's called.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Arivia posted:

Microsoft literally lost an antitrust case about this (using Windows to lock people into using IE) in the mid-2000s, yes. However, the market has significantly changed since then and Edge is not the market leader by a long shot, so there’d need to be another investigation by a regulatory body to stop it now.

As I remember monopoly law, the big offense is "using dominance in one market to attempt to become dominant in another" - so the question isn't if Edge is dominant, it's if Windows is. And that's more dangerous territory for them, even if Apple and Chromebooks do exist.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

codo27 posted:

You people who have like 5+ tabs going at once at all times are something I hear about online often but mostly refuse to believe exist because its pure insanity

Are you also a Clean Desk, Inbox 0 guy?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

codo27 posted:

Bothers me to no end that loving phone browsers just keep tabs open and dont close them out as you open new ones. So if you dont close them out yourself you wind up like my mom who has like 400 open on her god drat ipad

Firefox android just recently started to move tabs you haven't touched in a while to "inactive tabs", which are hidden behind another press in the tab switcher, and are presumably reduced to an on-disk saved state or even just the URL.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Allyn posted:

Huh, the old Realtek driver didn't work at all (wouldn't produce any sound, had me worried for a second). Hitting Roll Back Driver didn't actually revert, but instead changed the driver to the ultra-generic "High Definition Audio Device," not even mentioning Realtek. This one does produce sound, and does bring back the enhancements tab, including Loudness Equalisation/Normalisation! So task failed successfully, I guess :) Appreciate the help, cheers!

(PS, it was definitely an issue of loudness, not bass. It's hooked into a proper speaker setup, complete with subwoofer. If it was a bass problem, I could literally feel it, ha.)

I've long considered buying a stand-alone compressor (and limiter) to solve this kind of thing once and for all.

It's kind of under control on the TV, since that's driven by a linux PC and over in linuxland you can hook things like EasyEffects in between the applications and the output, but that does add a little bit of delay, and sporadically you have to restart easyeffects or the browser to get sound. There's also an option in the receiver we use (with three vaguely described intensities), and it's better than nothing but not super.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

~Coxy posted:

or even your year.

Thank you, good to know I wasn't the only one.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

TOOT BOOT posted:

This sounds like a mix of hyperfocus and time blindness, maybe look into getting tested for ADHD.

It's also a stereotypical experience of certain types of games, where you're in a constant state of almost seeing the payoff of what you've done previously. As tests go, it seems sensitive but not very specific?

Doesn't mean he shouldn't talk to his doctor about it in this case, but I'm wary of pathologising everyone who has ever lost track of time trying to finish a game of Civ. :)

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Klyith posted:

This works when typed into the run box, but not on a commandline:
ms-screenclip:
ms-screensketch:
(First one is same as win+shift+s, second is the snipping app. The trailing ':' is required, because these are fake URLs that launch the program rather than actual files or links.)

So it's gonna depend on how your mouse button command mapping works. If it's via your mouse drivers trying to launch a file, maybe not. Autohotkey's Run command works fine.

Could you do "start ms-screenclip:" in a command line? I think that's the "open this file/url with the default association" tool.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

101 posted:

Why the hate for The Register?

He's proving how cool and edgy he is.

And FWIW I use bitwarden through the android app and Firefox plugin. It seems unobtrusive and so far I've had zero problems. (Of course, that's not a security review.)

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

11 is mostly fine. The worst part about it is how you can't move the task bar, and that's solvable with third party tools. Besides that, it works well enough, and I can't say I've been tempted to wipe and replace with 10.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Klyith posted:

As in supports storing a OTP secret with accounts and generating codes for login? Keepass desktop client needs a plugin to do so. The Keepass2Android client has it built in.

However, getting the OTP secret is "exercise left to user" and somewhat annoying with sites that only want to show you a QR code. Means that I also have a 2FA client installed on my phone that is willing to export (which Google Authenticator won't).

I've always wondered how you're supposed to back up Google Authenticator - can you even transfer your codes to a new phone? Nevermind what happens if you lose your phone or it suddenly dies.
Probably outside the topic of this thread, though.

(And I use physical USB/NFC keys instead of software anyway.)

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Though that said, if everyone had their documents in gdrive or onecloud, it would greatly reduce data loss to dead and lost hardware. Which is not nothing.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Hughmoris posted:

Everything works just fine right now using an Ubuntu guest + Virtualbox but boredom makes me want to try out VMWare. We'll see if the motivation persists but thanks for the info!

If you really, really want a deep rabbit hole dive, VMware ESXi is free up to some reasonable mumber of cores and RAM - so in theory you can set up a hypervisor, install Windows in it and forward your GPU, USB controller and perhaps an nvme disk into there - and then use the Web interface to ESXi to set up new VMs running alongside Windows.

Disclaimer: GPU forwarding is about as easy and predictable as using Wiccan magic to fix your plumbing problems.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Anything odd in the event logs? If it's a driver or hardware crashing and resetting there's hopefully an event about it.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I press win+tab and pick the window I want, and that's fine - but it's still a pointless limitation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

You could use something like syncthing to keep the copies identical, and then configure one machine to have a copy of everything, and then backup that machine?