Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Hello thread, is this an appropriate place to ask some probably not difficult windows tech support questions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

MarcusSA posted:

Absolutely. Fire away

Thanks.

I've got a new computer built that I'm still doing some final testing on before I move my current drives into it. It's running Win10 Pro, 64 bit. It has been stable during stress tests, but when I leave it alone for a day, it will have restarted at some point. I'm not sure what is causing it, I'm just hoping it isn't some kind of stability issue. I went to the event manager and looked up the time where my computer had rebooted, and the message there is "The process C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe (NODE) has initiated the restart of computer NODE on behalf of NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: Operating System: Service pack (Planned)
Reason Code: 0x80020010
Shutdown Type: restart"

It is plainly saying its restarting the system, and I just want to make sure that's okay? That it isn't something else. Windows Update has all the boxes unchecked, which I thought would prevent the computer from rebooting without permission.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is it a brand new install of Windows 10 with the latest install media?

It was from an old cd from a few years ago, so it wasn't anywhere near the version of 10 we have now

Node fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jun 21, 2022

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Before any more troubleshooting I strongly suggest grabbing the media creation tool (and give Windows 11 a try!) and performing a clean install.

I mean, okay, I can do that, but I'd like to avoid doing that again. Installing the updates, drivers, and programs would take some time. I just want to know if that message I posted about early makes sense, and if the computer is operating just fine, or if the message might mean something else.

Node fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jun 21, 2022

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I mean, I wouldn't (and haven't). The one big item that is vastly improved is HDR support, so if that's a big deal for you, then it at least offers something. Other then that, it's a pretty major regression unless you really wish your desktop operating system was more like an iPad.

Are we pretty much stuck with upgrading, eventually, to 11, since Windows 10 will stop being supported/updated/whatever in 2025?

The reason I ask, is that Microsoft has made pretty crappy operating systems in the past, and they quickly turned around and released a decent OS after a bad one. Like Windows ME. I wonder if it might be a decent decision to hold on 11 in hopes of something better, unless we're going to be stuck with 11 for a decade.

Sorry if this argument has been beaten to death already. This thread is big, and old.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

MikusR posted:

Microsoft announced that they are moving to a major Windows update ever 3 years. So it seems safe to avoid the crap (UI wise) Windows 11.

Thank you, that helps a lot.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I'm having trouble sharing drives, or anything, between two of my computers. Both run Windows 10 Pro. Both have network discovery and file sharing on. On the computer (OLDCOMPUTER) sharing the drive, the drive is shared to Everyone, and OLDCOMPUTER shows up as a network device on both computer's Network tab. When I try to open OLDCOMPUTER in the network tab on NEWCOMPUTER, I get the error message "\\OLDCOMPUTER is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator..."

What am I doing wrong?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Tesseraction posted:

Does Windows still whine if you have the machines on different workgroups? Additionally are both machines network settings set to "private network"?

They're both on private networks, but it looks like they're on different ones. Which is weird because they're both connected to the same router? In Network and Sharing Center, Oldcomputer (wireless) is on "Network 6, Private Network" while Newcomputer (wired) is on "node, Private Network." Node is also the name of my network, and I'm guessing they both need to be the same for file sharing to work. How can I change the old one from Network 6 to node? Assuming that is the problem.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Tesseraction posted:

Does Windows still whine if you have the machines on different workgroups? Additionally are both machines network settings set to "private network"?

Flipperwaldt posted:

Would the computer even be visible on the other one if they actually were on different networks? I'd look more into the permission thing like the error message suggests.

E: Thoroughly recommend sharing with specific users that have username and password. This simplifies things imo

Made a little progress: I turned off password protected sharing, and now I can access \\Oldcomputer. But when I try and open the shared drive, it does say "You do not have permission to access \\Oldcomputer\e. Contact your network administrator to request access." It does look like it has something to do with permissions, but this is beyond my knowledge of windows - what do I need to change?

edit:

Klyith posted:

A good first step to troubleshoot this is to get the IP addresses of the PCs and try to connect by IP. You can do \\192.168.1.69 in the address bar just like you would do \\OLDCOMPUTER.

If IP addresses work, problem is likely with your router (and specifically the router's DNS).

Using the IP address of oldcomputer does work, so I guess this is falling out of Windows territory. I'm not sure what to do from here.

Node fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 24, 2022

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Medullah posted:

Are you logged in using the same Microsoft account for both PCs? Or do they have PC specific users.

I think they both use the same account.

Node fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 24, 2022

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

So a Microsoft account?

I was wrong - newcomputer is connected to a Microsoft account, oldcomputer isn't.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Tesseraction posted:

Can you try going to My Computer and mapping one of these as a network drive? Also, do you use a different username between the two machines? If so when mapping the network drive do it under different credentials and do so as OLDCOMPUTER\oldcomputer_username alongside its password.

Nothing seems to happen on the new computer when I create a network drive to a folder on the old. It doesn't show up in Network.

My username is the same on both computers.

I did find a way to get this to work - on the old, I right click a drive -> folder Properties -> Advanced Sharing -> check Share this folder -> Permissions -> add Everyone. This lets me access the old drive on the new computer. Is this the way you're supposed to do it? Is there a way I can specify which network user can access the drive, or is it all or nothing?

Sorry if I'm being incredibly dense here, this subject is very much out of my league. I'm doing my best.

Node fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 25, 2022

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Klyith posted:

When you're sitting at NewComputer and try to connect to OldComputer, OldComputer has no idea who BobUser@live.com is. So it asks "who did?" and you get a box asking for user / password. If you enter BobUser - 12345 you will get access to shares that BobUser has permissions for, and as far as OldComputer is concerned you *are* BobUser.

I *think* you will have a much easier time if you transform BobSmith on OldComputer into your connected MS Account, but I don't know for sure because I always avoided MS accounts like plauge. (It would be equally easy to do shares if NewComputer had a non-MS BobSmith, but that's harder.)

This was it. I signed into my MS account on old computer, I added \\Node to the permissions (which changed its name into Myrealname myemailaddress@goatse.cx) and now I can access the folder on new computer, without sharing to Everyone. Thank you! That was more difficult than I expected.

I had to enter my credentials upon first connect, and I was surprised that it wanted my MS account password. Does my private file sharing really need to be linked with an online account? Well, okay.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
The past couple of days I've encountered something strange with Windows 10. If I leave the computer alone and let the monitor turn off, when resuming my session the entire PC slows to a crawl. Almost nothing is responsive, just right clicking on the desktop makes it load endlessly. I very slowly open task manager, and my it shows my CPU at 50% work, 99% of my 32GB of ram are being used, and my solid state drive is at 100% usage too. When I look at the active programs, to see what program is using all those resources, none of the programs displayed is actually using any of that. The biggest thing using memory is my web browser, about 250mb of it. I have to restart the computer, after that the computer runs like normal.

Does anyone know how or if I can troubleshoot this? I haven't done any hardware changes, the only thing I can think of is that I upgraded my nvidia drivers to their most recent version, and installed the latest automatic Windows 10 update. It happened after that but I don't have any idea if its related.

PC: Win10, i7-12700k, rtx 4080, 32gb ram.

edit: I looked through the event viewer, which is something I don't know much about, but I did see something suspicious that happened during or before the odd behavior. A Resource Exhaustion error, but I don't know if its the cause, or the effect.

Node fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 10, 2023

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Gromit posted:

Running out of free space on your SSD?

There's a few hundred gigabytes of free space, so unfortunately don't think so.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I've been doing some research and it looks like Windows 11 has much better HDR support than 10. I'm eligible for a free upgrade which I have previously declined, and I wanted to know how painful or painless the upgrade process is. Will all my programs, particularly games, some of which can be old, still work? Or would I run into any problems and annoyances from the upgrade? Will it be just as stable as 10 is? Would it be wise to wait and see what Windows 12 is like, since I've got over a year until Microsoft stops supporting 10?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Windows 10 is forcing me to change to Outlook from their previous email application, Windows Mail and Calendar. Something is wrong in the outgoing/incoming server settings they put into Outlook, and I can't send email. I can not find a single way to change my server settings. I went to settings -> accounts -> manage, but I can only read the server settings, I can't edit them. Every single video and document I get from searching says to click on the "file" tab, next to Home, View, Help. But there is no file tab anywhere. How do I edit that information?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Computer viking posted:

If this is proper Outlook, you manage accounts from a control panel page (called "mail" or something like it, IIRC), not from inside the program.

If it's "New Outlook", who knows, it's a badly packaged Web app.

Yeah, I saw a video that said to open control panel and search for mail. Nothing comes up. I don't know why changing these essential settings needs to be convoluted and hidden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Tapedump posted:

It's not Outlook. It's "Outlook (New)" which is a terrible little app that's taken over for "Mail." It's to be avoided like the plague.

Windows keeps launching it instead of mail and telling me that its replacing mail in this year, so it doesn't look like I'm being given a choice.