Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I just finally made the switch from XP Pro to W7 (x86), and I'm having trouble gaining access to a lot of my own files, on account of "not having permission", even though my account is the administrator. This is true for some trivial folders, and some not-so-trivial folders. Anyone have any idea what might cause this? It would be really great if I could inject my old outlook .pst into this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Does anyone ever lose the taskbar when the computer wakes up? The only way for me to bring it back it seems, is to restart, but it's pain in the rear end so I spend a ton of time just win+tabbing my way through life.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

xamphear posted:

No idea why that happens, but you should be able to restore it without a reboot by opening task manager and killing any explorer.exe processes and then starting a fresh one.

To the rescue! Thanks so much.

Hamelin posted:

How did you get your desktop to look like that?

Check the XP beautification thread for some sweet RocketDock and Rainmeter configs.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2557655

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 31, 2009

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

man thats gross posted:

Aha! I think I figured it out! Custom text icons + this little trick!

I think I'm going to try something similar when I get home.

No no, just check out Rainmeter and RocketDock. There's tons of info about them in the XP beautification thread.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Casao posted:

Smart Words

My confusion always lay in this part of the equation: if IE wasn't bundled with Windows, how could one be expect to download Netscape (at the time) or Firefox or Opera or Safari?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

DarthBlingBling posted:

Back in the dial up days we got everything monthly on magazine CDs.

Also I don't think IE was bundled with Windows until Windows 98?

I know a few people already mentioned this point in the last few pages, and I don't want to come off as redundant, but I really got hung up on this point. Was this at any point part of the discussions in litigation? Were there considerations as asinine as including a CD with an installer for each option, or was it just a strange catch-22 never really addressed?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I've just experienced a major crash in Windows 7, and I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this/heard anything about it/has any advice.

A few days ago I plugged my external HD into my computer while browsing the web, and all of a sudden, my computer shut itself down as though something has just short circuited, or had an aneurysm. Upon rebooting, I found that I couldn't get past the loading screen for Win7, just before the log in screen, without the screen going completely blank (and the hard-drive indicator on the laptop), followed by a BSOD about a minute later, that had a bunch of warnings about my video card, including a pretty standard

Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed. nvlddmkm.sys - Address 8C819700 base at 8C80D000, Datestamp 49b11b66

collecting data for crash dump...
initializing disk for crash dump

etc.

The only way to get back in was via safe mode, at which point I rolled back the drivers on my Geforce Go6800, which allowed me to get back into windows, albeit only in like VGA. I tried every available driver on the Dell website as well as the Nvidia website, went to my last known good restore point, and where I'm at now is still a complete inability to load a video driver that will get me beyond 800x600 and 16 bit color. Everything else seems to be intact, but this is driving me crazy.

Am I going to have to just re-install Windows all over again, or does anyone have any clever ideas?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
This is so frustrating. I just downloaded the x32 version (student discount) to upgrade my RC and can't even get passed the first splash screen. Literally that initial "Install Now ->" button after setup.exe just doesn't click. I followed that guide on the previous page to create an iso but had no luck there either. gently caress :(

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Dickeye posted:

Maybe you can't upgrade from RC after all?

Even if you couldn't, it would ask you what type of installation you want to do at least, it wouldn't just stare blankly at you.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

jew$ posted:

The RC is Ultimate, you can't downgrade to Pro or Home (which is what the Student Discount allows)...and even at that I don't think you can "update" from an RC unless you have full key backing the RC. You couldn't with Vista, otherwise you could just get the RC and go around and save from buying the full version and Microsoft would lose potential profit. That may sound unfair, but it makes sense.

Hm, well I didn't realize that. I'm still totally at a loss for how I boot this then... do I just burn everything in expandedSetup to a disc and go from there? I was having trouble turning it into an ISO... I guess I'm a little surprised that it isn't either to make a boot disc out of this.

Thanks for replying to my frustrations by the way, it makes this whole mess a lot less stressful.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
After a succesful install, I've discovered that the drivers that Windows Update wants to install for my Nvidia Geforce Go 6800 don't jive with windows 7. After the install/restart, I only get a blank screen, and have to system restore so that I can go back to using the onboard VGA video option. Given that this is such an old card (circa 2005), is there any chance that Nvidia plans of making a new driver for this, or am I hosed in 1024x768 perpetuity?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

Install the driver you want that works and uncheck it's update entry in Windows update?

As far as I can tell, there is no other appropriate driver.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
So wait, has the touch version of the metro start screen been modified to include that list on the left hand side? They should just leave the metro start screen alone. That aside, it looks promising so far. I'm blown away that after showing off approximately 6 new features at an enterprise-centric event people are already calling it a step backwards.

edit: I guess what I'm asking about is "continuum view"- on what does devices is it employed? Things like the Yoga and the Surface, or any laptop or regular tablet running Windows?
edit2: Here's a video of it in action https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_O-LrGL-YQ

It's pretty much what I feared- a big ugly sidebar on what I consider to be a beautiful UI that just renders a bunch of the tiles somewhat redundant. I don't understand the point. Also the taskbar on the bottom really just seems like an awful hedge.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 30, 2014

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

It's a preview build and I bet that'll be one of the first things to change after feedback. At least, I hope that taskbar is given an option to be toggled.

Yeah, I recognize that the lovely icons definitely won't stick around, but still... it kind of breaks what I like about metro's starkness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Movac posted:

The big complaint about Win8 was the jarring difference between the full-screen view and the desktop, since they're two radically different UIs awkwardly jammed together. That sidebar is just the launch list from the start menu, so I think that and the taskbar are mainly there to provide continuity, so that roughly the same things are in roughly the same place in both modes. Some poor Microsoft UI designers were told "take this UI and that one, then combine them."

But... the metro start screen is itself a launch list/start menu. Why do you need a secondary one? How do you discriminate between what hangs out on the left sidebar and what gets a live tile? It doesn't make any sense, and adds unnecessary clutter to the metro environment. If you need to find a random file or app just start typing...