Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Confusion
Apr 3, 2009

mango sentinel posted:

President of Microsoft Indonesia confirmed (the next Windows) would be a free upgrade, for whatever that's worth.

I doubt they have made a final decision on the cost of upgrades yet, but I'm sure that even if they have they will not have detailed it to the president of Microsoft Indonesia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

It's kind of true, though. Take my dad, for example. I put Windows 8 in his PC and he loving hated it, until I set up his tiles just right

I myself warmed up to the tiles when I set them up just right, when I was messing with the release preview of 8. It was nice having that dashboard experience when I woke up in the morning. I could see the weather, stocks, a nice picture from my pictures folder, all at the same time and at a glance. If I wanted to check the forecast, I just clicked on the big rear end tile and saw a nice UI telling me the weather.

Everything else fell apart when I actually wanted to be productive though. But I'm liking where Microsoft is going with windows and I hope they find a good balance between desktop and metro UI. And I'm super excited about multiple desktops. Now it just needs OSX's preview.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

So this article claims

quote:

Microsoft went instead with Windows 10 because they wanted to signify that the coming Windows release would be the last "major" Windows update. Going forward, Microsoft is planning to make regular, smaller updates to the Windows 10 codebase, rather than pushing out new major updates years apart.

Awesome, can't wait to Windows Update the next dumb decision which breaks poo poo at home and work.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Goes in hand with Belfiore's hints in the preview site video, which sounds like the insider program is going to stay for the time being.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Atoramos posted:

So this article claims

Awesome, can't wait to Windows Update the next dumb decision which breaks poo poo at home and work.

They are mimicking the Apple method, which is working very well for all concerned. If the pricing reflects that (low cost or free) then I don't see the issue with a subscription style upgrade model. The biggest issue with Windows is the amount of legacy crap it has to deal with. If they can roll out 'breakages' in smaller chunks, it's easier for everyone to manage than the big upgrade that breaks everything once every 3 years.

They can still charge OEM's more by bundling in the subscription cost for the entire warranty period, which can be a nice up sell (comes with free # year subscription).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

quote:

Microsoft went instead with Windows 10 because they wanted to signify that the coming Windows release would be the last "major" Windows update. Going forward, Microsoft is planning to make regular, smaller updates to the Windows 10 codebase, rather than pushing out new major updates years apart.

That would be nice and I've been saying they should do that for years.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Expose was basically the main reason that I switched from Windows to OS X as my workstation/productivity OS, so I'm glad to see they're finally putting that in. As for everything else, will have to wait and see, but they're saying the right things at least.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Can I download a preview of it yet?

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Here's video of snapping and multiple desktops in action.

http://www.geekwire.com/2014/video-hands-windows-10-microsofts-new-operating-system/

The mail application's UI adjustments according to how wide the window is is pretty cool. Even better with snap to fill.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

:eyepop:

(can't believe i'm excited for a terminal)

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Thermopyle posted:

Hopefully they hosed with it a lot more than Ctrl+V, because the windows command prompt is terrible.

That's the kind of feature I don't care about because third parties already have it covered. Same thing for Notepad... who works with text a lot on Windows and isn't using a replacement like Sublime, etc? Who works with the command prompt a lot on Windows and isn't already using a replacement, like ConEmu?

I guess it's nice that they're focusing on longstanding, irritating things... but a new options page in the default command prompt isn't going to make it better than ConEmu, and ConEmu isn't going to stop working, so I'm still going to install it. Just like I'm still going to install Sublime even if they update Notepad to understand \n.

e: The resizable start menu looks neat, though. I like it.

e2: Now that the Windows 10 media train has started, is it time for a new, single Windows thread? Close this and the 8.1 thread and just have one?

Factor Mystic fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 30, 2014

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Cojawfee posted:

Can I download a preview of it yet?

Tomorrow: http://preview.windows.com

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Microsoft put the event on YouTube: http://youtube.com/watch?v=NfveyXCsiA8

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

repiv posted:

:eyepop:

(can't believe i'm excited for a terminal)

Line wrapping selection. Oh my stars and garters. Many thanks to the poor devs who have had to either update or rewrite code which presumably hasn't been touched in over half-a-decade. That's even more useful than Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
So wait, has the touch version of the metro start screen been modified to include that list on the left hand side? They should just leave the metro start screen alone. That aside, it looks promising so far. I'm blown away that after showing off approximately 6 new features at an enterprise-centric event people are already calling it a step backwards.

edit: I guess what I'm asking about is "continuum view"- on what does devices is it employed? Things like the Yoga and the Surface, or any laptop or regular tablet running Windows?
edit2: Here's a video of it in action https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_O-LrGL-YQ

It's pretty much what I feared- a big ugly sidebar on what I consider to be a beautiful UI that just renders a bunch of the tiles somewhat redundant. I don't understand the point. Also the taskbar on the bottom really just seems like an awful hedge.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 30, 2014

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Factor Mystic posted:

That's the kind of feature I don't care about because third parties already have it covered. Same thing for Notepad... who works with text a lot on Windows and isn't using a replacement like Sublime, etc? Who works with the command prompt a lot on Windows and isn't already using a replacement, like ConEmu?

I guess it's nice that they're focusing on longstanding, irritating things... but a new options page in the default command prompt isn't going to make it better than ConEmu, and ConEmu isn't going to stop working, so I'm still going to install it. Just like I'm still going to install Sublime even if they update Notepad to understand \n.

e: The resizable start menu looks neat, though. I like it.

e2: Now that the Windows 10 media train has started, is it time for a new, single Windows thread? Close this and the 8.1 thread and just have one?

I don't work with the command prompt a lot. Certainly not enough to remember to install any of the alternatives. All my terminal-ish work is in Linux VMs. Or when I'm troubleshooting someone else's computer.

Every time I do have to open the command prompt I find it irritating.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
Why are people still using command prompt in 2014, powershell or bust :colbert:

That aside, those are some LONG over do, and very welcomed changed.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Jewmanji posted:

So wait, has the touch version of the metro start screen been modified to include that list on the left hand side? They should just leave the metro start screen alone. That aside, it looks promising so far. I'm blown away that after showing off approximately 6 new features at an enterprise-centric event people are already calling it a step backwards.

edit: I guess what I'm asking about is "continuum view"- on what does devices is it employed? Things like the Yoga and the Surface, or any laptop or regular tablet running Windows?
edit2: Here's a video of it in action https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_O-LrGL-YQ

It's pretty much what I feared- a big ugly sidebar on what I consider to be a beautiful UI that just renders a bunch of the tiles somewhat redundant. I don't understand the point. Also the taskbar on the bottom really just seems like an awful hedge.
It's a preview build and I bet that'll be one of the first things to change after feedback. At least, I hope that taskbar is given an option to be toggled.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
The continuum stuff is a little earlier along and it's not even in the technical preview build.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

EoRaptor posted:

They are mimicking the Apple method, which is working very well for all concerned. If the pricing reflects that (low cost or free) then I don't see the issue with a subscription style upgrade model. The biggest issue with Windows is the amount of legacy crap it has to deal with. If they can roll out 'breakages' in smaller chunks, it's easier for everyone to manage than the big upgrade that breaks everything once every 3 years.

They can still charge OEM's more by bundling in the subscription cost for the entire warranty period, which can be a nice up sell (comes with free # year subscription).
I like the Apple OS model (they'll be on "OS X" I would guess for 20 years), but I hate subscriptions. Enterprise customers especially aren't going to like that.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

It's a preview build and I bet that'll be one of the first things to change after feedback. At least, I hope that taskbar is given an option to be toggled.

Yeah, I recognize that the lovely icons definitely won't stick around, but still... it kind of breaks what I like about metro's starkness.

Movac
Oct 31, 2012

Jewmanji posted:

The big complaint about Win8 was the jarring difference between the full-screen view and the desktop, since they're two radically different UIs awkwardly jammed together. That sidebar is just the launch list from the start menu, so I think that and the taskbar are mainly there to provide continuity, so that roughly the same things are in roughly the same place in both modes. Some poor Microsoft UI designers were told "take this UI and that one, then combine them."

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Thermopyle posted:

I don't work with the command prompt a lot. Certainly not enough to remember to install any of the alternatives. All my terminal-ish work is in Linux VMs. Or when I'm troubleshooting someone else's computer.

Every time I do have to open the command prompt I find it irritating.

If you're the kind of person who opens up a command prompt at all, you're doing yourself a disservice by not using a replacement, and that's still true with this (at least circa preview version).

37th Chamber posted:

Why are people still using command prompt in 2014, powershell or bust :colbert:

That aside, those are some LONG over do, and very welcomed changed.

Even if you use powershell, you're still stuck with the bad command prompt window. Btw, ConEmu also supports powershell. Actually it supports pretty much anything... you could put a browser in a conemu window if you wanted.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Movac posted:

The big complaint about Win8 was the jarring difference between the full-screen view and the desktop, since they're two radically different UIs awkwardly jammed together. That sidebar is just the launch list from the start menu, so I think that and the taskbar are mainly there to provide continuity, so that roughly the same things are in roughly the same place in both modes. Some poor Microsoft UI designers were told "take this UI and that one, then combine them."

But... the metro start screen is itself a launch list/start menu. Why do you need a secondary one? How do you discriminate between what hangs out on the left sidebar and what gets a live tile? It doesn't make any sense, and adds unnecessary clutter to the metro environment. If you need to find a random file or app just start typing...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Factor Mystic posted:

If you're the kind of person who opens up a command prompt at all, you're doing yourself a disservice by not using a replacement, and that's still true with this (at least circa preview version)..
Oh, I don't doubt it. In fact, I went and downloaded ConEmu after you reminded me about it.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Jewmanji posted:

But... the metro start screen is itself a launch list/start menu. Why do you need a secondary one? How do you discriminate between what hangs out on the left sidebar and what gets a live tile? It doesn't make any sense, and adds unnecessary clutter to the metro environment. If you need to find a random file or app just start typing...
They're appeasing people like me who hate the entire Metro user experience and just want their Win7 start menu back...and then stapling the metro start screen to the side of that for some reason. I will either ignore or (hopefully) disable it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

mango sentinel posted:

They're appeasing people like me who hate the entire Metro user experience and just want their Win7 start menu back...and then stapling the metro start screen to the side of that for some reason. I will either ignore or (hopefully) disable it.

The normal mode of operation if you don't have a touch screen is to just show a start menu, none of the start tile screen stuff at all. The start menu + start screen is a separate mode that by default is enabled when there's a touchscreen, though you can apparently enable it without a touchscreen if you wish.

At least that's what they announced.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I feel like if it was well designed, the start menu on the metro screen would be alright. Maybe I've just got thin fingers, but the default tile size is a bit big, and having the search bar and a few heavily used icons would be nice to have in easy reach.
I mean, on earlier versions of windows, the start menu quickly became overwhelming and confusing, while the list of pinned/often used programs was still helpful, and picking out a tile out of the lesser used programs while keeping the commonly used ones as small icons in a list seems to offer the best of both worlds.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

mango sentinel posted:

Unpin all start menu tiles, be done with it?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I wonder if they'll bring back being able to change/resize system fonts without having to enable globally (and I mean GLOBALLY) overriding accessibility skins. I tend to wind up using my computer from 4-6 feet away and get sick of squinting at tiny text almost as much as I get sick of large font skins overriding webpage styles and other poo poo they have no business touching.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 1, 2014

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

How does Windows 10 fit into "every odd Windows is good"? :v:

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

kalstrams posted:

How does Windows 10 fit into "every odd Windows is good"? :v:

What's odd about 98SE or 2000? :colbert:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mr. Fix It posted:

What's odd about 98SE or 2000? :colbert:
You broke symmetry, pick another favourite versions. :qq:
Realtalk, Windows 2000 is usually left out from such comparisons, making it 'bad' Windows ME between XP and 98.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Was 2000 even that good? I was stuck using ME at the time but I remember 2000 having a shitload of virus attacks and security vulnerabilities.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I don't mind the list + tiles because I only need the tiles for apps that actually do the whole live tile thing, which is only a handful for me. It looks like there's still no folders just all apps though? That's still ridiculous.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Genetic Toaster posted:

Was 2000 even that good? I was stuck using ME at the time but I remember 2000 having a shitload of virus attacks and security vulnerabilities.
The gently caress?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Jewmanji posted:

and adds unnecessary clutter to the metro environment.
:psyduck:

The exact bloody problem with Win8 was that there was such a thing as the "metro environment" and the "desktop environment" on the same PC. This is MS's attempt at not having such a ridiculously huge artificial divide between the two.

The "starkness" of metro was a big part of its problem in of itself though, with the near complete lack of discoverability. Seriously, what metro apps do you actually use on a daily basis where you feel their operation is now compromised?

Chamook
Nov 17, 2006

wheeeeeeeeeeeeee

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Seriously, what metro apps do you actually use on a daily basis where you feel their operation is now compromised?

Right now I'm replying to this thread in Metro IE with metro Skype snapped on the right, when I'm done, I'll go back to doing dev stuff on the desktop going through a bunch of different windows (some maximized because I'm on my laptop) all with Skype snapped to the side. From the looks of things in the preview, this won't be an option in Win10.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Chamook posted:

Right now I'm replying to this thread in Metro IE with metro Skype snapped on the right, when I'm done, I'll go back to doing dev stuff on the desktop going through a bunch of different windows (some maximized because I'm on my laptop) all with Skype snapped to the side. From the looks of things in the preview, this won't be an option in Win10.

They showed a bunch of additional snapped views in fact, you'll simply have more options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
There will probably be an option to enable "Continuum mode" even on a non-touch device, which should still allow for Windows 8 style Metro app snapping over having them as separate windows. Continuum mode apparently isn't in the preview though. Don't know if there'll be a way to have some Metro apps use Win8 style snapping and some stay as a desktop window and use the Windows 7 style snapping at the same time.