Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Is the index search supposed to be limited to eight characters?

I was just searching for "Rainmeter" and "rainmete" displayed a hit, whereas "rainmeter" removed the result and showed zero hits.

Huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I really hope Microsoft considers employing a licence model similar to Office Home and Student.

Back in the days, most home users just had one machine they needed to run Windows on.
These days, a desktop and at least an additional notebook are pretty common place.
Throw in a netbook as well and you are looking at a huge upgrade cost if you want to keep your operating systems uniform.

Considering that their goal has to be to increase the number of people who will happily upgrade to Win7 and not to repeat the Vista fiasco, allowing Home Premium to be used on two or even three machines would seem like a smart move.

I know that there is no way in hell I will purchase Windows 7 for all of my machines (desktop, notebook, workplace notebook, netbook) without some sort of discount - times are tough and money is tight.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Try again later - same thing happened on Amazon UK before I knew it was available, then it reappeared in an hour or two. Obviously they got more "stock" in. Also, Professional might still be up?

It's available now for ~120 EUR instead of ~50.
I don't think it will be available again any time soon, unless MS wants to lock in more customers. The funny thing is that the whole sale probably cost the online retailers more money from lost sales due to their sites being hammered and unavailable than they recouped by selling Windows 7. Some e-shops are still not back up properly although the sale has been cancelled by now.

There is a huge shitstorm over at Amazon now. Well over 150 one-star product reviews had to be removed at 9:30 a.m., 30 minutes after the sale started (I got two copies before it completely went nuts, yay!)

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there any program for windows 7 that tracks your clipboard usage? Something with proper utf-8 or 16 abilities and a history list so you can easily go back to something you copied?

Not sure about utf capabilities, but you could check out

CLCL

and

Ditto

The latter lists UTF-8 in it's features.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I googled and could not find any solution other than using 4 clicks across several dialog windows... is there really no way to quick-mute your microphone in Windows 7?

I recently switched from a crappy headset to a nice set of headphones + webcam microphone, which works surprisingly well, quality-wise, but when I want to mute the microphone, I need to right-click the speaker icon in the systray, select recording devices, right click the correct device and deactivate it completely.

Seems like quite an oversight... :downs:

Thermopyle posted:

What's some good software for remote desktop access to a Windows 7 netbook?

Seconding Teamviewer.
I use it all the time to fix stuff on my dad's computer.
There's also a free Android app if you're on the go.
Works quite well, despite the small screen size.

I recently stumbled upon https://www.join.me which uses your browser if I remember correctly.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

That's a shortcut to mute your speaker volume, not to mute your microphone.
(Although there's a lead in the comments I will go and check out)

Edit: Nah, can't get nircmd to work properly.
mutesubunitvolume and mutesysvolume appear to not work on recording devices. Or at least not on an USB recording device such as a webcam.

I can access output devices fine, but input's not working if I transfer the syntax accordingly.

Gromit posted:

If no-one has a solution it might be worth a quick post in the "request a small app" thread and see if someone can write you up a little widget to do it.

Thanks, I'll try that.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 28, 2011

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Speaking of picture viewers/libraries and Picasa, Google finally managed to allow users assigning a different directory for the thumbnail database other than the user directory.

Maybe that's old news, but I only just realized it after updating to 3.9 build 136.07.0.
It's under Tools > Experimental > Choose database location.

Not that I'd personally care anymore, I keep my database on my SSD anyway.
But if the database clogging up your system drive is what kept you from using Picasa in the past, that problem is gone.

You could of course have used symlinks before to move the database to another drive.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

IT Guy posted:

I'm looking for a program that does a good job at making bootable USB keys from an iso, etc. Any recommendations?

Is YUMI no longer the tool of choice?

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

hooah posted:

What can I use to stream stuff from my computer to my PS3? I used to use PS3 Media Server, but it shows blank windows on Windows 8.1, and the same is true of Universal Media Server. I've asked about it a couple times on the UMS forums, but nothing's come of it.

For what it's worth, PS3 Media Server is running fine on my Window 8.1.
It's based on Java if I remember correctly, so maybe you need to update your Java Runtime?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

My desktop computer recently started to reboot every once in a while when I actually chose to shut Windows 8.1 down. It appears to be totally random, but once, twice a week it just reboots instead of turning off completly. Today it happened twice in a row and it is starting to piss me off ever so slightly.

The exact same hardware never did anything like it for two years running Windows 7.

It doesn't matter whether I use the Metro Power off button or the hardware button on the case (which is set to shut down in the energy options).

Any ideas on what might be causing this?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

WorkingStiff posted:

Multiple updates which required reboot which you dismissed?

I don't think so, no.
There never was any visible feedback indicating that an update was in progress.
The screen always read "Windows is shutting down", not "installing updates, please do not turn off your computer" or the like.

Also, if you explicitly shut down Windows after an update has been downloaded, it will install the next time you turn on the computer. It doesn't make sense that it would reboot by itself, ignoring the shutdown the user initiated.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Comfortador posted:

Whats a good HD video converter these days? MKV's always play like poo poo through my Xbox 360, so I usually have to convert them to mp4s with stereo sound. (I think the Xbox can't handle surround Ogg or something weird like that which always causes lag)

I used to use EncodeHD but for some reason it doesn't work with my windows 8 machine.

I've been using Adapter lately (http://www.macroplant.com/adapter).

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Synergy went from donations to paid lifetime licence.

Shortly after purchasing a copy, I received some free promo codes.
Here you go.

[all codes taken]

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 29, 2014

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Dominoes posted:

Hey dudes, trying to play Blu Ray on my computer. I do not want to pay for/support PowerDVD etc.

Any ideas? I figure this would have been sorted out by now.

I haven't tried it myself due to lack of a BR drive, but http://www.leawo.org/blu-ray-player/ went free recently.
Can't vouch for it, but it appears to have been a reputable paid version before.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I don't have the details, but I think you can set a scheduled task to run based on wifi connections (through the event log), and that task can be a script that sets your required network info.

Ooooooh... is it also possible to disable the windows login when I'm on my own wife network?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

hooah posted:

:raise:

Is this some sort of time-share thing?

drat typo. Should have been "waifu".

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Inside Outside posted:

Is there a Windows version / equivalent of the OS X messages app, specifically one that lets me receive an SMS on my iPhone and respond to on my computer? It's kinda looking like no, and that's a huge bummer.

Is there an iOS version of Pushbullet?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I am looking for a way to use my Mi Band to unlock Windows via Bluetooth, similar to how you can use a trusted BT device to unlock your smartphone.

Is there an app that can accomplish this?
Pair the Mi Band with Windows; if it's in bluetooth range, keep Windows unlocked/unlock it if it has been locked, if you move away from the device and the bluetooth connection is lost, lock it.

Sounds fairly simple, yet I can't find anything.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Right clicking on This PC and Manage no longer opens the Management tool for me (Windows 8.1 Pro).
Any idea how to fix this?

Edit: I can still launch it by searching for "computermanagement".

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 3, 2015

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

teacup posted:

So I have Windows 7 installed on a 64GB SSD, with a 1TB normal HD as well.

I've got a 500GB SSD now (Not even opened) and basically want to move my 64GB SSD onto that or basically just move over to it with the minimum of fuss, and install Windows 10 as my 64GB SSD basically has no space left on it :(

What's the easiest way to do this? Literally just cut & Paste it over?

The free version of Macrium Reflect is usually the recommendation for the job.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

syntaxfunction posted:

Thanks guys. I know about Teamviewer (I use it at work a lot) but was really hoping there was some really simple way to do it built in or a light network only extension or something. Oh well, thanks anyway.

How does Chrome Remote Desktop fit into your scenario?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Love Crime posted:

I'm looking for a free, easy to use screen recording program that will allow me to record 3-5 minute videos in a file type that I can post on youtube. Win 10 64bit if it makes a difference.

I thought Fraps was one but it doesn't seem to want to work for me. Any suggestions?

Do you by chance have a nVidia card (I think 660 or newer)?
Than you can use Shadowplay.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I am a bit out of the loop, how does the free Windows 10 upgrade handle hardware upgrades?

I am probably not going to update my motherboard/CPU/GPS before July 29th.
If I upgrade my current setup, I will not be able to reinstall the license once I get my new rig?

Is there a known threshold for tolerated hardware changes?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Thermopyle posted:

I wish there was a good image viewer that fit in with the windows 10 aesthetic like the lovely built-in photos viewer does.

Windows Foto got an update recently and I found it not as awful as before.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

edmund745 posted:

Short version:
How do you make animations in HTML5? (that are interactive, not video, GIF files or webm's)

I have been using Adobe Edge Animate recently, but it appears it is no longer supported - a lot of issues are not getting fixed and it's rumoured that the development team has been disbanded/reassigned a long time ago. So basically it's off limits for projects that depend on medium to long time support I guess.

Supposedly Flash will get (or already has) full HTML5 support now.
I always wanted to give Hype (http://tumult.com/hype/) a try.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Thermopyle posted:

I'm looking for a wallpaper switcher that will let me either select a different folder of images for each monitor or, ideally, select images for each monitor based upon resolution and/or aspect ratio.

DisplayFusion definetely allows you to select multiple files or a separate folder for each monitor and use it as a slideshow.

I got the Steam version for $5.00 during a sale, so you might want to put it on your wishlist to be notified when it's discounted.

Here individual files are queued up, but you can also select a folder or library.
You can edit these settings for each display - one can be a slideshow, the other static.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 29, 2017

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

As a creature of habit, I am still using MPC HC (not a fan of VLC).

For my Notebook with touchscreen I would prefer a media player that supports touch gestures (swipe left/right for previous/next file, up/down for volume control etc.). MX player for Android does it, is there something similar for Windows 10?

Search results for "MX Player Windows 10" look kinda suspicious.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Thermopyle posted:

Which one of these apps that, when you press a hotkey, pop up a text input that lets you search your system, start apps, and do things is any good?

I've used windows search for many years and its fine, but just wanting to try something different.

Combine the powers of Launchy and Everything.

Just set up a "Runner" in the plugin section, like this

Hit Alt+Space to bring up Launchy, type

sfind
TAB
<your search term>

and Everything will be launched with the search term passed on to it.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I want to swap out an old hard drive with multiple partitions, one of which currently containing my Windows Library folders (Download, Documents, MyPictures etc.) on one of the partitions.

I am copying the files to the new drive/partition as we speak, after this I want to assign the drive letters from the old drive to the respective partitions on the new drive.

The libraries will lose their folder when I reassign the drive letters in disk management.

Is this ok or might Windows throw a fit or even break something?
Or will be everything straightened out after a reboot at the latest?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Is there a way to hide all the non-western fonts in Windows 10?

A lot of them are flagged as Windows system fonts and can not be uninstalled and it's tiresome and distracting to scroll through them every time I open a font dropdown.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Gromit posted:

DisplayFusion supports this, and I love it for multi-monitor stuff. Bought it years ago and it often goes on sale if the base $29 is a bit rich. The free version states specifically it does NOT support "Save or Restore all window locations".
The dev is very hands-on, and will respond to requests for functionality pretty quickly if the idea is a good one.

Seconding Displayfusion.
In addition to storing Windows position profiles it allows you to set triggers, e.g. "Whenever a process/window named <xxx> is created/ended/restored, move its window to screen #y, to the coordinates x,y and with width w/height h" (plus tons of other, highly customizable options)

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Ynglaur posted:

They have different licenses for those two use cases.

It's also on Steam, the Pro Steam version licence info says

"Personal or Company, unlimited computers, primary user is you and Steam is installed"

https://www.displayfusion.com/Compare/

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 28, 2019

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

mystes posted:

Also, if you want to organize windows together into panels or something like that unfortunately Windows isn't very good for that and Microsoft killed Spaces which would have allowed that to some degree.

DisplayFusion allows moving and resizing windows/apps automatically upon launch (or via hotkey). It's very flexible and highly configurable.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

hooah posted:

What's an easy-to-use program that can cut up MKV files? One of my TV shows ripped as one giant file instead of individual files for episodes.

Handbrake.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Medullah posted:

Unfortunately I've got a CUE file and Windows doesn't handle it well. =/

Back in the days I used Portable WinCDEmu to mount images, not sure about CUE files though.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Uhm, remember how the thread's mantra in regards to antivirus software always was "Just stick with Windows Defender, it works and does not interfere as much with your system as other third party tools?"

Welp (if true):

quote:

Windows Defender July Update - Will delete legitimate file from famous copyright case (DeCSS)

I have an archived copy of both the Source Code and Complied .exe forDeCSS, which some of you may be old enough to remember as the first succesfuly decryption tool for DVD players back when Windows 2000 reigned supreme.

Well surprise, surprise, the July 2021 update to Windows Defender will attempt to delete any copies in multiple instances;

.txt file of source code - deleted

.zip file with compiled .exe inside - deleted

raw .exe file - deleted

Setting a Windows Defender exception to the folder does not prevent the quarantine from occurring. I re-ran this test three times trying exceptions and even the entire NAS drive as on the excluded list.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/oof29b/windows_defender_july_update_will_delete/

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

slidebite posted:

Someone please shoot meeeee....

Is there a way to search for duplicate files (vids) that do not share the file name/file size, but length is the same?

AllDup has a search option for comparing the length of the audio track in music or video files (it's in the drop down for search method).
Found it very useful overall, it's been my go-to duplicate finder for a while. The UI feels a bit cluttered though.
It has a preview window as well which might come in handy, since depending on the number of files, you're likely to end up with a bunch of nonidentical files with the same length.

Quick fix is probably adding a column for media length in Windows Explorer and sort by that.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 15, 2022

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Why is the sound mixer not there when I click the audio icon?

Haven't looked into W11 yet, but on W10 I installed Ear Trumpet and hid the default audio icon and never looked back.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I will have to access a ~8ish year old Linux system (no idea which flavour/version, will see when I get there tomorrow) and pull some files from it to a Windows environment. Apparently it's an old file server, now when they try to connect to it from W10, they get a "SMB3 missing" error (or something similar).

Am I correct to assume that I will just need to enable "SMB1/CFIS File sharing" windows feature to get it back working?

Alternatively, I'll bring a bootable Ubuntu stick as well, but since I have no idea what hardware the server is using, I'm not sure if I'll be able to boot into it.

Going in blind, what are my best bets to get some files off the old linux server to Windows 10?

I have some very basic knowledge of Linux and coming from the Windows end of the equation, I thought I'd ask here...

Edit: Thanks for the feedback, turned out SMB3 on the server was gone after a reset. Just enabled SMB1 on the Windows client, pulled the files off, disabled it again and now the server can get dumpstered.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Is there an easy-to-use program to capture audio from what's playing through speakers/to an audio device and save it as a wav or mp3? Bonus if I can clip or edit bits of it, but not mandatory.

Double bonus if it can also chop up existing wav or mp3 files. The clips wouldn't be longer than a few seconds.

Free is best, though I don't mind paying a few bucks for a good solution.

Voicemeeter (Banana) also has a "record" function, skeuomorphically represented by a cassette player :laugh: